Chapter Forty-seven

Adelaide had been in their bedroom for about an hour now and Connor was seriously thinking about sending up a search party, it had been a few hours since he had proposed to her and now she was getting ready for their engagement party.

He knew things were moving fast but if he wanted to get married before the baby came then this was the way it's going to be. Adelaide still hadn't cottoned on about the impending pregnancy yet but he reckoned she was at least eight weeks already. He checked his watch for the umpteenth time but thankfully Sam walked in just at the right time "Can you do me a favour? Can you go up and check to see if she is nearly ready" he sighed as he grabbed another beer from the kitchen. Adelaide had barred him from the bedroom till she got ready; Sam had dropped off some bits a few hours ago and now he wondered if it was the right size.

Sam knocked at the door and waited till Adelaide answered the door, "Help!" she cried as she flung open the door. Sam burst out laughing as she looked at the state of the dress that Sam had brought round for her, it was a beautiful knee length royal blue silk dress, and by the looks of things she had been trying to pull the zip up for ages. "I just can't seem to pull it all the way!" she sniffed. Sam shook her head and within seconds she had pulled the zip up to the top. It was obvious that she didn't want Connor to help so Sam was glad that she came round and before long Adelaide was due to leave.

Adelaide didn't like to wear too much makeup as it always irritated her nose and made her sneeze a lot so she just applied some black mascara and some clear lip gloss. Sam pinned her hair up to show off the intricate lace that ran down the back of the dress. "I have a little present for you" Sam smiled and handed over a small bag. "You shouldn't have" Adelaide smiled before opening the bag. She pulled out a long box; she opened it and grinned as she stared at the pale gold necklace with a simple sapphire stone pendant with matching earrings.

Sam helped her put the necklace on "Thank you, it's beautiful, it finishes this dress off completely" she smiled as she pushed the little sapphire drop earrings through her ears. This was so overwhelming, this morning felt so long ago, she couldn't believe that she was now engaged and Connor had told her about both her dads approval, she stared at her reflection in the mirror, she wasn't sure why but her skin seemed to have a glow to it. She shrugged and put it down to being happy.

Sam and Adelaide made their way downstairs and into the open arms of Connor who now didn't want to let her go "You look amazing!" Connor whispered in her ear before brushing his mark with his lips causing her body to heat up. "Do you want to leave this house?" she purred back to him "Yeah! Let's make an excuse to miss our own engagement party" he chuckled seriously entertaining the idea. "You dare! Alpha or not everyone has put a lot of effort in this party" Sam tutted shaking her finger at him.

They walked out the front door and Adelaide laughed at the sight of a small carriage with four wolves strapped to it "Are you serious!" Adelaide squealed as Connor helped her into the carriage "We can't let you walk through the woods dressed like that" Connor shrugged before sitting next to her. Adelaide was amazed at just how fast the wolves pulled them. Connor explained that this is one of the perks of being an Alpha.

The sound of music and laughter echoed out through the trees and the smell of wood burning and burgers cooking on the barbecue filled her lungs and made her mouth water. The wolves pulled them right through to the centre of the gathering place that no longer looked the same as before, there was a large marquee with lights in it and a quick glance told her that it had a bar and a dance floor inside. A huge bonfire raged well away from the tent and everyone was dancing round it in a circle singing in a strange language that Adelaide couldn't quite understand, the music blared from another direction and another look around found a Crowd of people around two huge gas powered barbecues.

As soon as everyone started to notice that they had arrived, they clapped loudly, more and more people joined in until the whole pack were clapping, whistling and shouting their congratulations. Although it was a little bit chilly she was sure that her face was now on fire. Connor squeezed her hand gently before helping her out the carriage. Almost instantly she picked up on a familiar scent and searched the crowds, before long her eyes found the person the scent belonged to...Sasha.

She walked out from the shadows and walked slowly up to Adelaide "I came to congratulate you on your engagement" she said bowing her head to Adelaide. This made Connor smile; it's amazing how a person can change when given a second chance. "I didn't come alone" she smiled with a smile that showed true happiness and without warning another figure emerged from the shadows...her dad! Without his scent it was impossible to track him. "Congratulations! I wish you both all the happiness for the future" Jack smiled as he hugged his daughter and shook Connors hand. "I couldn't have picked a more worthy suitor for my daughter, just look after her or she may beat you up!" he teased as he watched Connors face fall slightly. He knew he better get used to the fact his future wife was more powerful but it still hurt his ego.

It wasn't till Alex bumped into her that she was told that the whole McLeod pack had joined the celebrations as she was the daughter and successor of their Alpha... Jack. Adelaide still couldn't take it all in that all these people were here for her and not just Connor.