Chapter forty five

Connor decided it best to take the Jag as he wanted Adelaide to have the perfect day and the banged up jeep just didn't fit with his plans. He kept glancing at a very worried Adelaide who had not uttered a word since they left. "Are you OK?" he asked softly as he placed his free hand on her knee causing her face to colour slightly "You are so cute" he laughed deeply as he still couldn't believe that she still felt shy after everything they have been through...and done.

"Do you think they will be really angry with me?" she finally asked with a huge sigh, Connor knew that they would probably more likely want to strangle him than be mad at her, "No, they will just be happy to see you" he replied giving her leg a squeeze enjoying the pheromones that radiated from her body, if she carried on he wouldn't be able to carry on driving. Adelaide glanced at Connor and grinned before blowing him a kiss. Connor growled trying his best to stay in control "Damn it Adelaide, do you want me to stop!" he warned keeping his eyes on the road and gripped the steering wheel tightly with both hands.

This seemed to help loosen her up but it was tightening him up in other places, he cursed her lightly under his breath "I heard that!" she growled "And if you don't stop growling at me I will buy a muzzle" she tutted pointing her long slender finger in his direction. 'This is going to be a long drive' his wolf whined wanting his wicked way with her instead of going to some stupid human village. Connor agreed but all he wanted was to keep his mate happy and there was nothing his wolf could do about it.

Twenty minutes later they pulled up outside Adelaide's old home and immediately seen the curtain twitching, looked like her mum was home from work, although chances are her dad won't be home for about another hour. "I will just drop you off, I need to run a few errands while I'm here" he said apologetically knowing he was just dropping her in it by herself. She didn't look happy as Connor noticed a darkness in her eyes, "OK I will come in for ten minutes" he relented happy that her eyes faded to their usual azure blue state. Why did he feel more anxious now than when he was rescuing her from the hunters?

They hardly managed to get out the car before the door was flung open and her mum was shrieking from the top of her lungs "Where the hell have you been?" she shouted before crossing her arms and started tapping her feet "Oh shit! She's really pissed" Adelaide mumbled looking at Connor for reassurance. Connor grinned with an evil twinkle in his eye "I am just here to return her, she's doing my head in!" he said with a dramatic sigh causing her mum to giggle. "Get in here before I box both your ears" she groaned before walking back through the house. "Thanks" Adelaide said gratefully.

They followed her mum into the living room and sat down still holding each others hands. "So I say you two are still in item!" she grinned. Adelaide groaned and rolled her eyes "Mum please don't embarrass me!" she cringed just wanting the floor to swallow her up. "Yes I very much love your daughter, although she does have a habit of getting herself into trouble" Connor grinned before feeling a sharp pain in his side as Adelaide elbowed him hard. "Adelaide that's not nice, you hurt him!" her mum gasped in shock.

Adelaide forgot that she was around a human; she was so used to be able to use her full strength that this now felt really foreign. It was the first time she actually felt awkward around her mum. "Yeah she's turned into a right little fighter now" Connor continued with his double meaning conversation knowing it was really annoying Adelaide. "Right I will leave you two girls alone, I have to pick a few things up before the shops shut" he said winking at Adelaide who after his last conversation was actually glad for some peace.

Connor was relieved to get out the house, he looked at his watch and realised that he only had another hour before the shops shut. He would have loved to just shift and bound off at top speed for the town but that was out of the question so the next best thing was to drive there instead.

It didn't take long to find the quaint jewellery shop that sat nestled in the middle of town. He quickly headed for it patting his trouser pocket to make sure he had his wallet on him. As he opened the door a bell rang above his head making him cringe as it hurt his advanced hearing. An elderly woman came out from behind a bead curtain and looked at Connor cautiously "Can I help you?" she asked with a frown, she looked like the sort of person who probably knew everyone in town and didn't like strangers. "Hi, I am looking for an engagement ring" Connor replied after clearing his throat. The women's look completely changed as a huge grin now plastered her face "Oh really! Who's the lucky girl?" she said clapping her hands together like a kid at Christmas. Her face light up so much that Connor couldn't refuse her "Adelaide" he said knowing her name was so unusual that it didn't need a second name.

The women cackled but in a nice way that showed her advancing years "So you're the one that finally stole her heart, you are a very lucky man, many have tried and failed" she said sighing, obviously watched too many romantic films. "Oh a ring" she said shaking her head before hurriedly pulling trays out of the window and placing them down on the glass counter in front of him. He scanned them before his eye caught the identical shade of sapphire that mirrored her eyes, it was surrounded by small perfect diamonds that framed the stone instead of overpowering it, the band was a pale gold that emphasised the stone and he knew that it would look perfect against her pale skin. It was perfect and by the racket his wolf was making, he agreed too!

He paid for it in cash and waited while the women gave it a quick polish before placing it gently into a black velvet ring box. "Well good luck!" she smiled before holding her hand out to shake his hand, as he took her hand she gripped it tightly, a lot tighter that she should have been able to "Just remember a mate is for life, make sure you are both were you want to be" she whispered before releasing his hand "She is very well loved around here" she said pushing her gold rimmed glasses further up her nose.

Connor was speechless, he now noticed the slight scent coming off the old women, it was now apparent that she has chosen to stay in the human side instead of her rightful home with her own kind. "And for the record, I chose what was right for me and my human mate" she said with a smile that made his heart melt. She must have stayed behind giving up her wolf to grow old as a human. Luckily for him Adelaide was a pure blood, but what if she does want to live here?