Chapter Three

By the time Adelaide had reached the cafe she was only a couple of minutes late "Ade is that you?" the owner Cathy called from the kitchen. "Yip only me" she called back before hanging her jacket up on the over sized coat stand at the side of the door and heading for the kitchen.

Adelaide worked here full-time as she liked to help out with household bills as much as she could, her parents were not what you would call normal parents, although she was only eighteen her parents where both in their mid sixties, her mum had retired from working at this very cafe last year after teaching Adelaide everything she knew about baking and cooking and her dad still worked for a local wood mill, but she didn't know for how much longer as he was starting to slow down a bit now.

Adelaide knew in her heart that there was a bigger secret about why they were looking after her she just assumed that she was their granddaughter but kept it to herself as she knew at some point they would tell her. They had been the best parents that anyone could ask for, fair but strict they taught her right from wrong but gave her enough space to make her own mistakes so she could learn from them. She loved them both with all her heart.

Adelaide tied a white apron round her waist, washed her hands then started the task of baking the dozens of cakes, scones and bread that will have to do all day Cathy had already been in for over an hour getting the first batch of bread baked for opening at 10 o'clock.

It was now opening time and Adelaide felt as if she had already worked a full shift, she sat on a stool at the counter and let out a huge sigh. "Tsk tsk, you youngsters have no stamina these days" Cathy shook her head. 'If only she knew!' Adelaide thought,

Adelaide had found out she was different to everyone else when she first turned sixteen, she woke up on her birthday and found out that she could see better than before allowing her to dump her dowdy brown plastic glasses she wore, in fact all her senses were heightened than before, she could smell and pinpoint the smallest things and also separate the smells and accurately analyse exactly what it was. She could see for at least a mile not to mention her strength and speed.

A boy had tried it on with her in secondary school and she pushed him so hard that he hit the wall with so much force that he was in a coma for nearly three weeks. After she pushed him she ran, and boy did she run. After about ten miles she stopped and could not understand what had just happened, not even the worlds strongest man could push someone with that much force or a top long distance runner could match the distance or speed she just done...from that day she vowed to never tell anyone of just how much of a freak she was.

Luckily the boy she pushed had lost all memory of what happened so nothing came of it, which was just as well as she was a popular student and that would have ruined everything.

About ten minutes later the cafe started to get the morning rush into the cafe for breakfasts so the running around helped take her mind off things for a bit. But as usual this also brought in the people from out of town who were here to help on a nearby building site, they were adding another fifty houses to the already full town.

"Hey beautiful" Some cocky lad slurred as he slapped her bum as she passed with a tray of coffee, and she jumped with shock. The boiling coffee spilled and poured over her hand causing her to scream in pain "You a**hole" she cursed at him before running into the kitchen to run her hand under the cold water.

Not that it didn't hurt, it hurt like hell but another one of her freaky talents was that it didn't matter what she done she seemed to heal really quickly, as she took her hand back out from under the tap the once red mark was now fading already. Adelaide wrapped a bandage round it and secured it with a safety pin, she knew that everyone had seen the coffee burn her hand and if she went out without a mark people would start to talk.