Chapter fifteen

Jack couldn't believe his luck he had just about gave up for the night when his nose picked up a faint scent that reminded him of his Diane 'It can't be, she's dead' he thought before it clicked. Female wolves take a similar scent from their mother, it wasn't quite the same but close enough to believe that it could be Sofia.

He raced at top speed through the Kelltoch territory aware that he was trespassing; this pack was strong enough to take him down. He smirked knowing that although this Alpha seemed strong, he was stronger...after all he was the most powerful of them all. But he wouldn't be able to take on the whole pack.

He passed the pack house and sniffed the air 'weird no Alpha scent' he thought, what Alpha leaves their pack unguarded he thought and shook his head, must have been important.

Suddenly he heard someone whistling and he slunk into the shadows and waited, a blonde haired boy sauntered up the stairs to the pack house, unlocked it and entered closing the door with a loud bang behind him. Jack knew from his scent that he was a high rank but not strong enough to be the Alpha.

Jack had never met the Alpha but knew he was a fair and noble Alpha that completely deserved the title of Alpha, no one ever left his pack although not because they couldn't just because he ruled with such compassion for each and every member they had no need to look elsewhere.

He left a pang of jealousy as his own pack although still as powerful as it had ever been, deserved more from him than he could give at the moment. He was still Alpha but without his mate at his side he had lost the will to live to say the least, finding his Sofia was his last hope.

As he watched the Beta walk passed a large window, he took one more look around before heading back into the trees to follow the familiar scent 'where is the Alpha?' his wolf asked worriedly as he bound on racing his wolf body to its limits knowing if he was spotted by the Alpha and challenged he might lose track of the scent or even his life.

Although he had one advantage that the other Alpha didn't Jack smirked 'I don't have a scent!'

After the attack Jack had sent his Beta Alex with some other of his trusted fighters to track down an elder who he believed had the secret potion that blocked the scent glands in a wolf so that the body couldn't produce a scent. If he could take away the scent from himself and his pack then the hybrid dogs couldn't track them so hopefully the hunters couldn't find them. The only problem was...how do you track a werewolf who doesn't have a track-able scent?

It took his fighters and Beta years to find the elder and with some subtle persuasion he finally agreed to trade his life for his secret. It took another couple of years to perfect the potion due to its ancient source, some of the plants on the ingredients list no longer grew in Scotland.

After all the tests had been done he injected a measure into his arm first in-case there was any side effects, he always put himself at risk first. It took a whole day and night before the serum started to work and thankfully there where no side effects. The next day he personally injected each and every one of his members.

He then placed the aged parchment that contained the serum into an air tight container and buried it at the place where he found his beloved Diane dying. He had returned to the same spot often as he could to be closer to her. He had carved out a message on a nearby tree that read 'To my darling Diane, we will always be together if not in this world, in the next, love you forever, Jack'

With this potion hidden it would be safe from enemy packs that would use it for the wrong reasons. As the serum entered the bloodstream it permanently changed the DNA so when his members had children they where also born with the new strain of DNA allowing his pack to stay permanently hidden. He had kept only one vile of serum for his Sofia if he ever found her.

He tracked the scent to the edge of a human town, he couldn't go any further as he was still in wolf form and shifting would mean him being naked which would not go down well with anyone seeing him. So he sat there just inhaling the sweet intoxicating smell that when he closed his eyes he could picture his mate and Sofia playing outside on a warm sunny day, he could see the love between mother and daughter shine through...suddenly a change in the wind made him snap out of it, her scent suddenly changed, it got stronger and he realised it was a lot closer than he thought.

He prowled slowly through the thinning woods and stopped quickly as he now smelt another scent that told him he had found an Alpha 'what is an Alpha doing in a human town?' he thought 'you are too!' his wolf reminded him, but he had a good reason to be here he thought and carried on warily until he spotted two figures through the dark.

'Typical' he snorted as he spotted the couple who obviously had lust written all over them going by the pungent scent that only came from...he stood with his wolf mouth wide open.

It took him a few minutes to come to terms with what he saw, the girl was a dead ringer for his mate, and she was cuddling up to

another man, he felt his body fill with rage and his wolf was itching to kill this man...but she was dead? It can't be her; slowly everything was falling into place.

The figures in front of him was his daughter and the missing Kelltoch Alpha, and by the change in her scent and the now strong smell of lust hanging thickly in the air he guessed he had just marked her.

He knew he had no right to be angry that he wasn't asked for permission first but he smiled knowing that if she is mate to this mighty Alpha then he knew she would be safe as he would guard her with his life.

And in the knowledge that his baby had grown up into a beautiful young woman and was under the protection of a powerful pack, then there wasn't any need to worry about her. Besides once she moved into the Kelltoch territory, he could drop by and check up on her from time to time.

And with that he slowly retreated back into the dense woods and headed back to his own territory.