Chapter Eighteen

Adelaide must have looked at her watch about a hundred times before Cathy tutted at her "Looking won't make the time go any faster!" causing Adelaide to blush which in turn caused Cathy to laugh heartily before returning to wiping the table down again.

Near the end of her shift Adelaide smelled something that made her look up from buttering some rolls and noticed a new face in the shop walking towards her, she had long straight jet black hair and wore heavy eye makeup on her piercing pale blue eyes that made her look slightly gothic and so out of place in a town like this. She had a smell that reminded her of Connor and this made her look at this girl with curiosity.

The strange girl narrowed her eyes at Adelaide and strolled casually up to the counter, "Can I help you?" Adelaide asked in her friendliest tone "Mmm I think I will have a coffee and a slice of Connor cake" she said with a slight snigger "Excuse me!" Adelaide replied startled "I said...a coffee and a slice of carrot cake" she said slowly in mocking voice. Adelaide felt rather stupid she thought the girl had said Connor instead of carrot, but she was sure that's what she said she was positive she heard right.

Her hearing had never let her down before. But she put a smile back on her face and picked up a mug and filled it with steaming hot coffee and handed it to the girl before picking up a cake slice to cut the cake "Oh never mind that I don't need it any more" she smirked with an evil look on her face. 'What was this girl's problem?' Adelaide thought dryly.

The girl walked over to a table and sat down not once taking her eyes off Adelaide. 'What's her problem?' Adelaide asked herself again 'be careful, she is a wolf' her wolf spoke warily not knowing why this wolf would speak to her human in such a manner, her wolf knew that Adelaide had no enemies.

"Oh by the way, that mark on your neck won't be there forever!" the girl snarled as she walked out the door after downing her coffee, she spoke in a quiet tone that ensured that only wolves could hear. That was the clincher, her wolf was ready to pounce when given the chance, she felt her body shake as she tried to calm herself down 'how dare she speak to me like that, Connor is mine and only mine!' she growled to herself knowing she was getting out of her comfort level. She started tapping her nails on the counter as she realised she could very well shift for the first time in front of humans.

Connor walked through the door about ten minutes after the girl left and instantly recognised the signs of a shift through anger and sped up to the counter and knew she was not in full control of her wolf. 'This is not good' his wolf growled. Connor placed his hand over her hand that was pure white from the way she was now clenching her fist. It took a minute or two for her to reign her wolf back in but she managed remarkably well considering. Adelaide looked straight into Connors eyes and he noticed a slight redness to them that reminded him that he should tread carefully. "Adelaide, you have to calm down' he said softly as he stroked her arm "Come on...just take a deep breath" he coaxed and slowly her eyes lost the red tint and he felt her heartbeat start to slow down.

Once Adelaide was in full control she finally took Connor in, she just smiled and squeezed his hand "Let's go home" she said untying her apron and hanging it up through the kitchen and picked up her bag and her coat. Connor didn't push her for an explanation as he hoped she would tell him in her own time.

It didn't take long before she spoke "I saw another wolf in town today" she casually slipped it out as if it was an everyday occurrence. "Oh...what did he look like?" Connor replied a bit shocked to hearing this, he hoped for their sake that it wasn't one of his members as this would be a direct blow to him as he forbade anyone to come to town for their and the packs safety. "It was a she actually...and she seemed to know you" she spat in a tone that made him smile, she was jealous. Connor wasn't surprised though, there where a few girls who had noticed his irregular comings and goings, and someone could quite easily have followed him and with Adelaide marked now her scent would have been easy to track, 'But who?'

"What did she look like?" he asked trying to keep his voice neutral "bit of a Goth I'd say, long black hair, big boobs, tiny waist" she said through gritted teeth making him feel ten foot tall, his mate would probably rip this girls head off just for looking at him, although he had been the same way with her before they had even met.

Then it clicked 'Sasha' he thought 'oh shit' he looked at her raised eyebrows and seen that his face had already given him away "Who is she" Adelaide growled "A former pack member, she left to join her mates pack but she didn't want stuck with a common rank mate so she went after the Alpha who was widowed, but he saw through her and was kicked out of that pack" he sighed knowing there was more that had to be said mainly about what nearly happened the other night, he just hoped she would understand.

Once he had explained everything, they just walked in silence as she digested everything he told her. She was glad that he could tell her the truth and not hide it or try to dilute it in any way but that didn't mean it hurt any less. The fact that he had slept with countless other women really wasn't an issue but what would she gain from threatening my mate like that?

Connor had no idea what Sasha was planning in getting out of her threats to his mate apart from just causing trouble which was why he told her everything so she couldn't use the blackmail card. It wasn't a big deal but he could see why Adelaide was feeling a bit put out.

"Look I have an idea what we can do this evening" he said trying to break the ice, Adelaide just shrugged as if to say 'whatever' this made Connor even more determined to get her full attention "How about I take you to meet my parents?" and without warning Adelaide threw her arms round his neck "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she shouted excitedly and dragged him the rest of the way home.

"Mum, dad...you in?" she shouted after throwing the front door open, she waited for a minute and after she felt it was clear she pulled him into the house "Right you make yourself a coffee while I take a shower" she said before running up the stairs. Connor would have loved to follow her up the stairs and join her but instead he walked into the kitchen and filled the kettle.

It was nearly an hour later and he still hadn't heard a peep from her so he stood at the bottom of the stairs and shouted up to her...nothing, so he climbed halfway up the stairs and shouted again 'stuff this' he thought and ran up the remaining stairs and chapped the door. She had her music up full blast playing soft rock music, he opened the door slightly and shouted her name after a few seconds he opened the door a bit further and noticed a very sad looking Adelaide sitting on her bed with just a towel wrapped round her. "Hey what's up?" he smiled as he walked towards her; she had heard him come in but she was too busy feeling depressed. "What if your parents don't like me?" she huffed twisting her hair round her finger "What are you mad, they are dying to meet you, my mother hasn't stopped pestering me since I found you" he laughed and ran his finger down the side of her face.

This seemed to be enough as she motioned him to get out of her room so she could finish getting ready but the damage had already been done, seeing her sitting there dripping wet from the shower with just a towel was more than he could handle. It took all his willpower to force himself down the stairs and back into the kitchen.