Chapter Two

Connor sat by the enormous Loch, watching the wind create small waves that lapped the pebble covered bank, he had no idea what was happening to him, he felt so alone, unable to pull himself together even for the good of the community. He knew people were starting to talk behind his back but he didn't even have the energy to care anymore, 'maybe I am dying' he thought to himself, 'Yip that must be the answer' he agreed with himself, 'I can't eat, sleep, I have no energy not to mention the chest pains that seem to be getting worse every day' He stood up and picked up a rock and threw it as hard as he could and then shook his head in disgust. he had thrown the rock further than any human could but as Alpha of the Kelltoch Pack who's territory covered the whole of the Scottish Highlands his strength should have allowed him easily to reach the bank on the other side of the loch, instead it only reached just over half the way across, 'Even the women could reach that far' he cursed himself and vowed to never throw rocks again!

**Alpha Connor** He looked up knowing that his Beta his 2nd in command had just contacted him through the packs mind connection and by the sound of it he was out of breath so he must be on his way. Colin was also his cousin and the only person he ever let down his guard for, he knew all about his problems but was as stumped as he was, Colin knew to always give Connor some warning when coming to the Loch as this was Connors place of sanctuary and he knew that Connor didn't like to be disturbed while he was here unless it was very important.

Suddenly a grey figure bounded through the thick forest that surrounded the loch and seconds later a young man with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes stepped into view after pulling a pair of jeans on that had been stored in a chest that was kept next to a clump of trees. His chest so muscular, that as he pulled on a T-shirt, every muscle in his body seemed to flex as though they were ready to burst. Although as Beta he was larger built compared to the rest of the pack meaning his wolf was also larger. Connor smirked 'if you think he's big you should see me!'

"What's up?" Connor sighed while sitting down on a huge fallen tree wincing slightly with a sharp chest pain that seemed to vibrate throughout his entire body.

"We have had another sighting" Colin said while shuffling his feet looking down at the ground being careful not to make eye contact out of respect for his Alpha, although he knows that something is eating away at his cousin, Connor is still the Alpha, and the best one in a whole generation of Alpha's in this area.

The Alpha title is normally passed down from father to son and this has been the case in the Kelltoch Pack as far back as known but if word goes out that our Alpha is weak, we will have every wolf for miles around wanting to challenge Connor for the title.

Colin knew of a few packs that had been destroyed by this happening and when the title had been claimed by an untrained wolf the sudden rush of power would go to their head and peaceful communities would be ripped apart in the bid to run the packs though pure dominance and fear instead of through proper leadership.

Looking at Connor, he was getting weaker by the day but the way he hid it away from his pack and run the pack with so much care and for each and every member that lived under his rule, he was a kind approachable Alpha that brought peace and tranquillity to the community but knew when to be tough. There was a line between making sure the peace was kept within the community and that making sure that order was kept, anyone not wishing to follow the rules set by Connor were cast out of the pack or for very serious crimes it was death.

"Right you better fill me in on everything!" Connor stated putting his problems instantly behind him as he walked with Colin through the woods on the way back to the pack house.

By the time they had reached the huge extravagant pack house where Connor lived by himself he had found out that it was the same wolf that had been seen on many occasions throughout the smaller villages that where scattered throughout the Highlands, He seemed to be heading this way although he hasn't passed on any of the inhabited cottages, it was as if he was searching for something or someone?

When Connor asked why he hadn't been intercepted by any of the patrols, Colin said that he had asked the same question but all he got when he put this to the patrol members they just looked stumped as if they could not seem to answer the question....this was new! Most rogues are killed on sight as they tend to be spies for enemy packs. But this has been about the tenth known sighting in the past month by residents and when the patrol turned up they couldn't find any trace.

Connor carried on pleasantries with his cousin for about an hour after returning from the Loch until he excused himself and headed up to bed. Although looking at his watch he could see it was only 3 o'clock in the afternoon but he just felt drained. He opened his bedroom door and stared at his king-size dark mahogany four poster bed and knew one of the reasons for his tiredness.

*FLASHBACK*

Connor had shifted into his huge black wolf and raced through the dimming forest, luckily the only people around this area were werewolves themselves so no chance of been seen by any humans, He let his wolf take over who was enjoying a rare chance of complete freedom. Suddenly his wolf sensed something in the air; he lifted his huge head into the air and sniffed. It smelled of Jasmine and Coconut. His wolf jumped for joy as he found the scent he had been waiting on, the scent of his mate!

His wolf now refused to give him back any control to his human side and shot through the trees at an alarming speed until he stopped and scanned through the trees constantly sniffing. He lowered his body into a stalking pose and eased himself slowly through the crunching forest floor suddenly he heard what sounded like erratic breathing, he pricked up his sensitive ears and heard light footsteps he stepped forward too quickly and felt a large branch break underfoot, the noise must have been loud as the footsteps stopped and the smell was getting harder to find, then finally he heard a rusting noise and crept forward gently trying to avoid making any other sounds, then in a clearing my wolf stopped, gave a low growl and allowed Connor to regain full control again.

Connor couldn't believe his eyes, the girl he see's in-front of him is a pure vision of beauty, she's got the most amazing dark red hair that falls in soft waves to her waist, her slender perfect body just calls for him to put his arms round her and not to mention, those lips that seem to just beg for him to kiss. He couldn't see her eyes as she has them shut tight and pushing herself into the back of a tree. Her heart is beating so fast. Slowly she starts to open her eyes and Connor steps closer to get a better look at her 'SNAP' he does it again, his eyes shot open and he sees panic on her face as she spots him by a clump of bushes. He watches as he notices pure terror in her eyes before she gives out the most bloodcurdling scream.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Connor always wakes up in a cold sweat and in absolute confusion! "Why is my mate frightened of me?"