Chapter Fifty-one

Mary and Peter sat in the living room after Connor and Adelaide dropped them off, they had thoroughly enjoyed the evening although now they had a bigger problem in their hands now. How do they tell her that she isn't their daughter?

They just sat there staring at each other "We need to tell her everything" Peter sighed as he looked at the panicked look on his wife's face but she nodded her head gently before tears started falling down her face "We should have told her years ago" she agreed but how do you tell someone that her mum was mauled by some animal and her father was nowhere to be seen.

"We should have went back to look for her or at least have phoned the police!" she howled, she had always locked her guilt up inside her refusing to allow the guilt to reach her conscience as it would torture her. Peter put his arms round her and felt her sob her heart out as the memories came flooding back, even Peter allowed a stray tear to escape.

Peter knew that sooner or later she would ask for her birth certificate so she could apply for their marriage licence, They didn't have one as this would have raised some eyebrows, most people in the village just assumed that she was adopted and that was that. The only one who knew the whole story was Cathy and she never told a soul.

The decision was made to phone them in the morning and arrange another meeting as soon as possible as by looking at his wife's eyes this was killing her. He just hoped she wouldn't hold it against them as that would break his heart.

They both headed to bed to try to build up their strength...god knows they will need it!