Alice's surprise (US/fem!UK)

Alice took a deep breath, smoothed her hair down from her face. She couldn't stop her hands from shaking entirely though. Well, it was close enough. And besides... She trusted Alfred. With her life. And with the life of their unborn baby too.

So now Alice dialed his number.

"Yo!" He answered. His voice was familiar, light, and she was put at ease. "This is the hero speaking!"

She took a deep breath. "Hello, Al."

"Alice!" His voice changed. "Hey baby, how's it going? I'm on my way home from the meeting."

"I'm glad, Al."

"Urgh yeah, me too. You know Ludwig was such a butt head..." He went on to talk about it, and Alice let him. She liked to hear him talk, even if it was about trivial things. Finally though, she interrupted him.

"Al? I have something to tell you, all right?"

"Huh?" He paused on the other end of the phone. "Yeah sure thing babe. You all right?"

"Of course I am." That was her immediate response. "Try not to overreact, Alfred, but... You're going to be a father."

"What--" He laughed. "You mean I'm pregnant?"

...what. Was he serious. Oh lord she hoped not.

"What? No, you git! I'm pregnant!" She sputtered.

"...you're pregnant too?"

"ALFRED F. JONES, I SWEAR TO GOD--"

"Okay, okay! I'm just kidding, baby." Suddenly Alfred got quiet. "Oh my god, Alice, are you serious...?"

She smiled. "Of course I am, you git..." She whispered. "Never been more serious in my life..."

"A BABY!" He yelled into the phone, almost making her drop it. Gee, thank you, Alfred. "Oh my god, I gotta stop calling you baby then, Allie! Oh my god, I'm so happy!"

Alice covered her mouth with a hand, choking back happy tears. This was really happening. Alfred's happiness fading in her ears... She really loved him so much, and they'd be married, and... They'd be a real family now.