The woman at his shoulder (France/Joan of Arc and Canada)

Sometimes Matthew Williams was glad that Arthur Kirkland was his father. I mean, he was short-tempered and possibly the worst cook on earth, but he was affectionate in his own way. Matthew knew Alfred was his favorite but that was all right. The four of them were still a family.

Until... They weren't, really, at least not anymore.

Anyway, enough sad things. Matthew was at the kitchen counter, making himself and his papa Francis some sandwiches. Francis worked too hard; he didn't get enough sleep. Matthew turned to him, sandwich in hand.

"Matthieu?" Francis asked, slowly raising an eyebrow. "Are you all right? What is it?"

Matthew stared at the woman at his papa's shoulders. She was almost see-through, and he knew deep down she wasn't really there. But she had kind eyes and short blonde hair, and her hands were so gentle...

She frowned at Francis, and Matthew knew that he couldn't see her. "Did you even sleep last night, mon Francis? I told you to take care of yourself...!"

Francis yawned loudly. Matthew resisted the urge to snort, and his papa looked at him, eyes twinkling.

"Did you fall in love with me, mon petít garćon?" Francis asked.

"What? No."

"Hm." He answered, leaning back in his chair and taking the sandwich. "Too bad if you did. Because my heart belongs to someone else, and she'll always have it, no matter what~!"

At his shoulder, the woman put a finger to her lips with a small smile. Ah, so that was what she meant to him. He always wondered...

Yeah, sometimes Matthew was happy he was related to Arthur Kirkland...