The reflection of a fire in your eyes (Native America and America)

** Prompt = days

headcanon #1: Native America broadly represents both Canada and America's natives. Similar to the states, she has representations of tribes as well. // headcanon #2: while N. America was destroyed by the arrival of America and then England and France etc., her human body was killed, similar to up to 90% of the Native American population, in the Great Dying. **

She's real. She's not a made up person, the tiny blonde boy says over and over again. Not like your faeries or 'maginary friends. She's real.

And real she was: a willowy woman, thick hair and sad eyes. Her skin was the color of Big Brother's copper; her hands and feet calloused from picking corn in the hot sun. The blonde boy remembers how he fell asleep against her bare breasts when he is very very small. He remembers her smoky scent, her warmth.

"Remember these days, baby," she had whispered, gripping his cheeks in her rough hands. "Remember. You must promise me, child, that even when Arthur takes me from you, you'll...you'll remember me well."

"I promise, Mama," the boy stuttered, frightened. "I won't ever forget. I promise."

When Big Brother Arthur comes to take him away, he tells him that his name is Alfred, and he'll be civilized now. The boy is too young to be that sad.

And when Alfred F. Jones is an adult, he only has a vague memory of smoky smells...the reflection of a fire in dark eyes...