Gabriel Beilshmidt, Ludwig Beilshmidt

Gilbert--Prussia--is running through a forest to get to a battlefield. For once he's serious. He feels sick to his stomach.

They're countries, he of all people knows that. But how could Francis do this to him?! How?! What the fuck was wrong with his best friend?!!

He gets to his destination, pale and out of breath. A fine layer of dust coats his face and his albino-white hair.

"Oh my god..." he whispers. So many people, so many soldiers, are dead. But there's only one person he cares about now.

A small boy is on the ground. He has a serious face, with combed blonde hair and rosy cheeks. Gilbert kneels down next to his little brother Gabriel, the Holy Roman Empire, and now his tears fall.

He's dead. He has to be. There's no way he can still be alive, not after Francis...

Blue eyes suddenly grace his red ones, and Gil can't help but gasp. The boy is still. He doesn't move whatsoever. But he's still alive.

"What happened...?" the boy asks, his voice innocent and hoarse at the same time.

"The battle." Gil says simply. And then, even though he doesn't want to--even though he doesn't want to hurt him anymore-- "You lost."

"Oh." he frowns suddenly. "I-I don't remember anything...!"

"It's okay," Gilbert soothes him, and he picks him up, bridal-style. "I'm your awesome big brother, yeah?" the smile is weak. "I'll protect you."

He buries his bruised and cut face in Gil's chest, looking for comfort. The albino sets out for the long walk home, cradling the little boy..

"Um..."

"Huh?"

"W-who are you? And who am I?"

"I'm the awesome Gilbert Beilshmidt, Prussia. You're..." he hesitates then.

The Holy Roman Empire and Gabriel along with it is dead.

"You're my brother." he says truthfully. He knows he's a new country, so he also says, "And your name is Ludwig Beilshmidt."