chapter 46

I wake up cuddled up to Michael on his sofa the next morning.

"Michael." I whisper.

his eyes jolt open and he rubs them, looking around confusedly.

"what time is it?" he asks, sitting up.

"12." I reply.

"shit!" he gasps, practically jumping up and getting changed.

"I uh, fuck, I need to work." he says, grabbing his keys.

"want me to drop you to campus or do you wanna stay here?" he asks.

"I have a lecture today, I need to go." I sigh.

"okay, put my jeans on that you wore yesterday, I'll grab you a fresh top and you can take my denim jacket because it's freezing outside." he says, taking his denim jacket off the arm of the sofa and throwing it at me.

I hear him rustling around in the kitchen for a moment before going into the bedroom. moments later he comes into the front room with a fresh t shirt for me to put on. it has a picture of a woman in a bikini on it but I sling it on without caring before putting his denim jacket on over the top.

"ready?" he asks and I nod.

he leads the way out of the door and through the hallway to his car. a brown haired girl looks at Michael in the parking lot and he stares at her angrily. she enters the flats and we got in the car. he begins driving and we sit silently, not looking at one another or making any effort to create conversation.

he drives smoothly and focuses on the road whilst I look at passers by.

"where shall I drop you?" he asks and I shrug.

"I don't really mind, by the gate is fine." I reply. he pulls over and stops the car, ready for me to get out.

I open the car door and he pulls me back.

"give me a kiss." he says. I smile and roll my eyes before pecking his lips quickly and climbing back out of the car.

he rolls down his window as he drives away and says "I love you." and I smile.

I walk into campus, unlock the door to my dorm and lay on my bed tiredly.
I have a lecture at 3pm so I decide to nap until then, setting my alarm for 2:40.

...

I wake up, still wearing the denim jacket and jeans, even shoes.

I sling off the jacket and change my top to a plain white one. I leave the denim jacket on the floor and head off for my lecture, carrying my notepad, textbook and pencil case.

the lecture drags on for what feels like hours, my hand aches from the writing and my head aches from all the information.

when I get out, I check my phone to see numerous texts and missed calls, all from Michael.

I ring him back straight away.

"Lauren I've been calling you non stop for a fucking hour and a half!" he shouts down the phone.

"I know, I'm sorry I was in a lecture, what's up?" I say, trying to keep the conversation calm as things between me and Michael are going quite well lately.

he sighs for a moment, calming himself down. "I need my denim jacket." he says.

I frown confusedly. "why have you been calling me non stop just because of a jacket?" I ask. somethings suspicious.

"it doesn't matter, I just need to come and collect it, okay?" he says.

"um yeah sure, we can do something if you want? if you're not busy." I say nervously.

"sure." he says. we stay silent for a moment before he says "anyway, I'll see you in a little while. I love you." and hangs up.

I walk back to my dorm and pick up Michaels denim jacket off the floor and place it on my bed.

I change into a different outfit and apply a little bit of makeup until Michaels rings.

"I'm outside. I've been knocking" he says.

I laugh as I realise that my music was too loud to hear the knocking and open the door.

"where's my jacket." he says in a panicked tone.

"it's just there... why are you getting so weird about it?"

"uh, it's uh, my... my favourite." he replies and I raise an eyebrow at him.

he shrugs and smiles and I roll my eyes and chuckle lightly. goofball.

"where we going then?" he asks.

I shrug.

"I have a plan. and before we argue about this, I'm paying." he smiles. he pauses for a moment. "but before we go, change your shoes. they're not appropriate." he says, looking down at my sandals.

I frown and remove them, placing on a pair of sneakers.

"perfect. off we go." he says, opening the door and walking out.

we walk down to the car and drive through the city,  the lights on the buildings illuminating the dark starry sky.

we end up in the dodgy and quiet part of the city and I frown at him.

"trust me." he says.

he parks on an empty road full of warehouses and abandoned buildings.

he takes my hand and walks me down a creepy alleyway and bangs on a black door.

"I'm scared." I whisper.

"trust me." he laughs.

a bald man opens the door and Michael smiles at him.

"ah Clifford." the bald man smiles. "come in."

music plays as we walk down the corridor and multicoloured flashing lights are shining in all directions.

"I can't go clubbing in this!" I whisper shout, looking down at my sneakers. 

"we aren't clubbing." he chuckles. we reach the end of the corridor and turn right, a bold sign with "laser tag" written on it greets us.

I chuckle and he smiles proudly at his decision.

he pays at the counter and gets the laser guns, the jackets and a drink for us.

"ready?" he asks.

I nod and get the jacket on, finishing my drink and picking up my gun.

"put us on opposite teams." he tells the man behind the counter.

"it's on like donkey kong" he smirks as we walk into the laser zone.

a voice over counts down from 10 and it begins, there are 6 people on my team and 6 people on Michaels, adrenaline rushes through me as I shoot Michael and he shoots back, I run around laughing and screaming as the two teams shoot each other as much as possible.

the laser zone is hot and I become sweaty and worn out as I continue running around, trying to dodge people and shoot Michael all at once.

the voiceover counts down from ten once again signalling that our session is over.

it is announced that our team win and I raise my fist in the air in glory, smirking at Michael.