chapter 38

LAURENS POV

we are both looking rather gross, wearing jogging bottoms, an oversized t shirt and sneakers as we run off campus, our hands linked.

"where the fuck are we going?" he shouts happily as we run against the wind.

"God knows!" I laugh, continuing to run.

we run off campus and down the long main road together, neither of us have any clue where we are headed but I feel so free.

at the end of the road is a huge town and we begin to walk, still hand in hand.

the bun that my hair was held in has fallen slightly and bobs every time I walk and Michael chuckles as he sees it.
we reach a train station and sit on the platform together.

"so," Michael says, turning to me. "where are we heading?"

"wherever the next train takes us." I chuckle.

the rusty train pulls up and the monotone voice tells us where it's going. I don't really listen though, I just climb on and sit down.

Michael does the same, his fingers slowly lace through mine and we rest our heads on the window as the train takes us to our new destination.

"I have money." he tells me.

"so do i, I have my credit card." I reply.

"then we'll do just fine." he smiles.
the train journey takes a long time and throughout the journey all we can see out of the window is trees.

most people get off and we end up being the only two people in the carriage.

"this is insane." he tells me, kissing me.

"i love you." I whisper.

he smiles his dorky little smile and litters kisses all over my face.

"I love you." he replies.

the train pulls up at our final destination and we climb off.

the platform is deserted, there's not even a person working in the ticket office as we walk through and come out of the station.

"oh my god." Michael chuckles as he looks around.

it's completely deserted.

"left or right?" I smile.

"right." he says.

we begin walking down the road on the right, its barely a road, it's dusty mud.

"we are in a fucking desert or something." Michael says.

"just me and you." I giggle.

I see a bundle of trees in the distance.
"a forest!" I say, pointing forward.

we walk towards it and Michael grabs my hand.

"so I was thinking." he said, not making eye contact with me, simply looking around, pausing for a long while before carrying on. "so you know I'm thinking of leaving uni." he sighed, scratching the back of his head.

"yeah," I reply.

"I'm hoping it'll be within the next month."

I frowned.

"why?" I replied, confused.

"it's just not for me. I barely go to lessons anymore and I just hate it, me and calum are nowhere near as close as we were so I think I'll just move back to my flat. so I can spend more time with ash and Luke."

I stayed silent.

"well?" he asked.

"I guess it's up to you," I sighed, my voice trailing off.

"I just can't stay there. I'm sorry Lauren. I need a fresh start, I thought uni was going to be exactly that and it's the complete opposite. I've fucked everything up since being in uni, I've made so many mistakes."

I swallowed loudly.

"am I a mistake?" I blurt and his face remains the same.

"no." he replies, looking at the dust ground.

it sure feels like it.

"I'm reducing my course to one year so I can leave in 3 weeks with a degree. I've dropped all lessons except history in hope of completing it quicker. I'll move to a flat and have a fresh start, stop drinking and stuff."

I felt offended that he hadn't offered for me to help him with his flat or visit him, I'm clearly just a uni thing.

we were in the forest by now, still holding hands even though my hands were clammy and I was holding back tears.

Michael pulled out a cigarette and lit it. I stared at him, looking down at the cigarette in his hand and his face.

"what?" he says.

at that moment I realise that uni really isn't for him. he looks run down and tired from uni, his stubble growing quite long, roots in his hair, black circles around his eyes.

"nothing." I reply, looking away from him.