A Proposal

After several more hours of drinking, laughing and joking. The evening began to wind down with Lord Stafford chatting endlessly about his accomplishments as a knight; Sir Neville and Sir Howard laughing and joking. As they did so, Ash leaned lazily againt Decimus as his arm wrapped around her. He had now planned it all in his mind. He would propose to her. Ash laughed softly at the jokes being told by her fellow knigts, burying her face in Decimus' cloak when the attention drifted to her and Decimus for a moment.
Decimus simply cuddled her closer, kissing her hair softly. She blushed furiously, her cheeks burning pink when he did so. Decimus loved her laugh. It was so joyful, and just sounded so pleasing to him. Just to hear her laughing and joining in with the jokes. It was a huge change to the girl he had met a year earlier. He had fallen head over heels for her. Maybe not instantly. But somewhere along the line, she stole his heart. And he stole hers. He whispered sweet nothings into her ear as the jousters that sat with them continued to joke and mess around. The drinks still coming.
Ash blushed furiously as he did so. She lightly punched Decimus' chest. "Stop it" she laughed softly, lifting her head to his neck. "I need to ask you something" he whispered softly to her, his lips brushing her ear as he spoke.
"Gentlemen, a moment" said Decimus, standing from the bench where he and Ash had been sat. He took her hand, leading her before him. The knights watched the pair, drinks in hand as they did so. "Dearest Ash, it has been a long road. We've had ups and downs. We've argued, fought, and everything in between. Ash, we've been through a lot together, and I love every minute I get to spend with you. Training you, working with you, seeing your passion grow each day. It all makes me love you more. Even as we stand in the arena, my love for you will never die. Ash, will you be mine forever?" He had got down on one knee to ask the question, gazing up at Ash. The ring, one of his own that had sentimental value, would be the engagement ring. It was all they had within the arena.
Ash froze for a second. The question sending a wave of shock through her. For a moment she struggled to speak. Her words failing. Instead of speaking, she jumped into his arms, with him instantly hugging her in return. "I will take that as a yes" he chuckled, he smirked softly as Ash pulled back to kiss her lips softly. Deepening the kiss as he held her close. They were lovestruck.
The cheers of the knights broke the pair from their moment. Allowing Decimus to place the ring on her finger. She hugged him again, overwhelmed with the emotion.
Lord Stafford moved from his seat now as the pair parted. Clasping hands with Decimus. "Congratulations Decimus. She's a fine girl" He smirked, winking at Decimus, who chuckled at the gesture. "Thank you, Lord Stafford. She is indeed" Stafford then moved to Ash, hugging her in a friendly manner. Sir Neville and Sir Howard also congratulated the couple. Toasting to the couple one last time, before departing to their rooms for the night.
Ash and Decimus moved off to their room within his barracks. All the while keeping his arm locked around her. As soon as they got in their room, he turned to face her once more. "Good birthday present?" he smiled, keeping his hands on her hips. "Best birthday present" smiled Ash, gazing up at Decimus as he took her lips in a kiss once more. He held her close as they remained as they were.

She meant the world to him. And now she was his. It felt like they were meant for each other. They filled the voids in the hearts of one another.
And that was all it took. True love rarely found it's way into the arena. A few rarely felt it.
But it had found it's way for them.

[Authors Note: Aaaand he proposed! And she said yes!]