The Last Goodbye

The events had came to a silent close later that day. Ash had still refused to move from her brother's side, forcing the events to continue on the opposite side of the large arena. The storm raged on, the rain soaking the blood stained sand. "Assassina, it's time to go. Your brother's funeral wil take place tomorrow" said Decimus softly, crouching to Ash, wrapping an arm across her shoulders. He could feel her shivering, the grief radiating from her as she lifted her head from her brother's chest. She looked to Decimus, her eyes bloodshot and red from the tears. Blood staining her clothes and hands. The look to Decimus was brief, before she once more looked to her brother. "Farewell brother, I'll miss you" she whispered as tears cascaded down her cheeks once more.
Decimus stood with her as she rose from the ground. Her legs shaky as she stood. She was cold, lost and distraught. And Decimus could feel it all from her. With a gentle movement, he pulled her gently to him to warm her as they turned and headed back towards the barracks. "He's free, Assassina. He's free" murmured Decimus once more, trying to reassure Ash that Niero was no longer in pain. She gave no response, her gaze going back to the servants who were removing the body of her brother. When she tried to pull from Decimus to run back to him, Decimus merely pulled her back gently. "He's free" he whispered to her once more, bringing her to his chest as he felt her shaking once more. She was so grief stricken and now seemed so lost on what to do with herself. Seeing the last of her family slain before her had really hit hard.

Decimus feared for his young warrior now. But he couldn't show the fear around her. She didn't need anymore on her plate today. Or ever again for that matter. "Come, Assassina. Let us get inside" The gentle words of encouragement to move inside were meant to be comforting.
Ash merely nodded, walking silently beside Decimus as they finally re-entered the barracks. The silence that welcomed them earned a whimper from Ash. Her brother used to greet her whenever she entered the barracks. Now he'd never greet her again. And she'd never greet him again. She'd never see him again.
Decimus remained silent as he watched Ash sit before the fireplace once more. She merely sat, gazing at the flames. Tears still rolling down her cheeks. "The gentle warmth of a flame is akin to the warmth of my brothers' hugs. The gentle crackle of the burning embers... It is akin to that of the fires my brother made for us to keep us warm when he took me with him to be free from our fathers' teachings. Everything makes me think of him and it is like a thousand daggers piercing my heart at once. My family... They've all been torn away... Has father ever truly cared for me and Niero. Has he ever truly felt loss like we have. Like I have" she whispered absent mindedly.
If she slept tonight, it would be a miracle. If a nightmare came tonight, no one would be there to comfort and wipe away the tears like her brother had done many times before. If she feared what lay ahead, her brother wouldn't be there to reassure her anymore. She thought of all the things Niero wouldn't be here for anymore. And most of all. He wouldn't be there anymore.

"Death never pierces the heart so much as when it takes someone we love; cleaving the heart they held with their passing"

—Brandon M. Herbert