Echoes

The barracks had since silenced after Decimus and Ash had spoken. The pair had moved closer to the fireplace for the warmth it offered as the afternoon grew colder. Ash, now curled up against Decimus' chest, dozed quietly whilst he sat awake in thought. His arm locked around her at his side, feeling the gentle movement of her torso as she breathed. The peace was welcomed. It was the first day they had been able to simply relax. Despite all of the heat coming from Tremalthios. As he sat in thought, he silently gazed down at Ash. Pulling his cloak around her absent-mindedly to keep her warm. Again, he thought of how they had come to be like this. She wasn't there for him. She was there to pay for her crimes, and to fight. But he had seen more in her than just a fighter and a 'criminal'. In fact, he didn't see her as a criminal at all. He saw her as a revolutionist. Not in the way of changing the world, but changing Venice and Rome. The assassins wanted a better future for the people of Venice and Rome. In doing so, they were against the higher power of the very places they were trying to change. It took a lot to take on those who had an army to fight back with. But the assassin's fought back anyway. Even if there were only a few of them.
And now the arena had one of them in it's grasp. It had one of them in it's grasp. Thanks to her father, and Decimus himself. The more he looked back at how he'd gotten Ash to the arena, the more he hated himself for it. Now all he wanted was for her to be free, and for himself to be free with her. He knew that once she was out of the arena, she'd be sought again. And again. Until she was dead. Cringing at the thought of Ash losing her life, Decimus unintentionally squeezed her closer to him. Feeling her flinch at the action, he gazed down at her to see her shuffling uncomfortably. "Many apologies, Ash. These thoughts plague my mind so often. The same thoughts that cause me so much distress when I try to sleep at night. Dearest Ash, these thoughts echo in my mind again, and I cannot think of anything else. Please. Please do not seek vengeance, revenge or anything against Tremalthios. If your freedom is given to you, I will come with you. We will seek a place where the arena and its followers cannot find us"
Ash barely had time to process what Decimus was saying, her mind still sleeping. When she finally picked up on what he was saying, she rested her head back against his chest. Thankful that he wasn't wearing his chestplate and only the red tunic and dark jodhpur style bottoms. She traced a circle on his chest for a moment, before leaning up against him gently. "These thoughts, Decimus. Cast them aside. Cast them aside, for I will not do anything to Tremalthios. I fear that if I do anything, it will be done unto you. And that is not something I wish to risk. Forget these thoughts. Please"
Decimus knew she was serious by how she spoke, she poured emotion into her words when she was serious. With a soft smile, Decimus relaxed once more. Finding the comfort in Ash that become so apparant over the past few days. He brushed hair out of her face with his hand, moving to cup her cheek gently. "How many times have your words comforted me" he sighed softly, caressing her cheek softly with his thumb. "As many times as they've needed to" replied Ash, moving her arms around his torso to get comfortable and to hug him once more. She lifted her head once more though, eyes meeting his. "If your thoughts echo once more, repeating what they once said. Call upon me, even if it means waking me up. For you, I will wake"
She pressed a soft kiss to his lips, feeling him return it gently. It lingered for a moment, deepening for a second, before they broke apart.

As the fire crackled softly, Decimus smiled. That had been the first time Ash had kissed him first. His heart leaped in his chest as he rested his head against hers once more. His lips brushing her forehead. "Ash... I love you" he whispered softly, before cloing his eyes. Trying once more to drift off to sleep.
"And I, you, Decimus" she replied, tightening her arms around him ever so slightly. It was then that she felt truly loved. Even as she lay in the arms of a man she was supposed to be enemies with.
She felt loved. Was loved.

[Author's Note: Had to be done! Now how do I break this to Dmitri? It has been a year or so since he and Ash even saw eachother. But come on. Decimus and Ash are perfect <3]