Your Horses Need You

Ezio had struck a nerve with Ash when he mentioned her horses. Her horses meant the world to her, and she had proven that many times. Her horse, Griffin, was her oldest, and had sorta grew up with her. He was 7 now, and he had been saved by Ash when he was just a colt.

**Flashback**

Ash had seen Griffin being born at the stables in her fathers camp, and a few days later, she saw him being dragged from his mother. Of course, Ash retaliated against the actions being forced upon the colt and mare who was looking more and more distraught and stressed with each passing second. Unable to do anything there and then, Ash waited until nightfall to act. At around midnight, she crept into the mare's stall, and led her out with a headcollar and a lead rope, before heading off to find the colt. And sure enough, she found him in a lone stall.

With a breaking heart, she slipped on a small headcollar and a lead rope, before leading both of the animals out of the camp as quietly as possible. Once outside the camp gates, she started a gentle jog back towards the Assassins den. They wouldn't mind that she had the horses, so long as she could care for them herself. What she couldn't understand, was why the guards were separating the mare from the colt. It just didn't seem right. The colt was only a few weeks old so he still needed his mum. No matter. Ash would make sure that they were together, and then, when he was old enough, she'd train him, and get his mum back into work. Or retire her and let her live peacefully with her son.

Upon arrival back at the den, she instantly took her two new horses to the stables that were owned by the den. Once inside the stable, the mare nuzzled Ash's cheek gently, whilst the colt nudged her side. An instant bond forming. The horses knew they had just been saved. At least with the Assassins they wouldn't get hurt, or be made into war horses.

Ash collected some food for the mare, setting it in the hay rack, before placing a bucket of water in the corner for her. She smiled, patting her neck as she drank deeply. Turning to the colt, she smiled as she patted his neck gently. "You need a name. How about Griffin?" she smiled, unable to stop that smile as the colt pushed his head against her once more. "I take it you like the name Griffin" she smiled, hugging his neck, before the mare nudged her back.

Turning to the mare. Ash smiled. "What shall I call you?" she smiled, stroking the mares' nose gently. "How about Athena? Athena is a nice name. Its a Goddess, and you are most certainely worthy of such a name" she smiled. Athena and Griffin would be Ash's responsibility. And she wouldn't let them down. She never would. She'd have to explain to Ezio where they came from. All she could do was hope he wouldn't be angry at her.

Ezio had actually watched Ash return with the horses, then proceed to provide shelter, food and water for them. At least she knew what their main requirements were. And he wouldn't be mad at her. He knew she was a smart girl, and that she knew what her animals needed. So he'd let her keep the horses. He did note though how old the colt was. But he wouldn't step in unless he absolutely needed to.

Little did he know, that he wouldn't have to step in at all.

**End of flashback**