Ch48.5

Prinz Rupprecht POV:

It's only been a few days since our offensive began and yet our forces are actively razing captured territory to the ground, forcing all enemy civilians to flee ahead of our advancing formations. 

I and countless others have tried appealing to Mother but she's adamant about erasing every living thing between our border and the Urals then having the destroyed land remain as a buffer between us and the remaining Northern Parliament forces...if they even exist at that point.

Having no other alternatives, I find myself outside the room of the Sakura Empire's ambassador to Iron Blood's room...Akagi. I don't know much about her but I do know that Mother seems to like her, at least enough to tolerate her continued existence. As such, I'm hopeful she can help. I knock.

????: Enter-

I open the door, not at all ready for what lies on the other side.

Akagi: You're early. I'm not ready y-

She stops when she sees me but I can already tell she was expecting Mother and not

She stops when she sees me but I can already tell she was expecting Mother and not...well, me. Still, going by her dress, it seems they have some sort of event to attend together...or perhaps, they are going on a date.

Me: I'm sorry-

Akagi: I had no idea the Crown Princess had a thing for me.

Me: I-

Akagi: If I'd known, I might have better prepared myself.

She chuckles, gesturing to her bed with a wink. 

Akagi: Imagine how the Empress would react if she were to find us in bed...together.

I'm horrified at the very thought of Mother potentially walking in at this very moment and overhearing what she'd just said but before I can turn to flee, she laughs yet again.

Akagi: I'm merely teasing you. There's no reason to be so pale, or is the thought of my body so horrifying?

Me: I...that's not-

Akagi smiles, pointing to a nearby mirror and asking if I can hold it for her while she finishes up. Having already intruded, and still reeling from her teasing, I oblige.

Akagi: There was no need for you to apologise. I should be the one apologising for assuming you were someone else.

Me: I...well, she's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about.

Akagi: Oh?

She stops what she's doing, looking me directly in the eye at that, but I continue holding up the mirror for her to use.

Akagi: Is it about our relationship-

Her smile is replaced with a neutral expression which gives me the impression that had I come to talk about that she'd probably toss me out if I said anything negative. However, I've long since known that my Mother "gets along" with a good amount of the other KANSEN. If anything, her settling down with one partner might be a great thing. It's not my place though...neither is this the time.