Ch17: Iron Blood Restructuring

A/N: I am terrible at politics so this chapter might be hard to understand. Don't worry if you can't follow along. You'll still get to see the new structure in play as the story progresses. Hence, this chapter is more for me to use than for you to enjoy but hey. In case you were ever wondering how they get the nation to run as smoothly as it does in the future, this is where the backbone of that will be explained.

<->

Today will be a great day. I can tell just by the way I'm smiling as I walk into the massive hall of the Reichstag. Anyone who's anyone within our current government structure is here from across all our territories. From Scotland to Finland to South Africa to Portugal. The entirety of the Empire is represented and not just by one person but by every single member of the governing body. 

Truly, if ever there was a time to try and cripple our nation, it'd be now as everyone's in one place. Perhaps that's why security within Berlin and the surrounding metropolitan area has been so tight for the past few days. 

As I walk towards the Reichstag's throne, a new addition following my ascension, everyone stands and salutes. With me are Jean and Hindenburg and as I sit, the latter takes her place behind my throne while Jean stands by my side.

Me: You may be seated.

The entire hall reverberates with the sound of well over three thousand people sitting. All around the outskirts of the room, guards can be seen keeping a close eye on every part of the room. KANSEN are amongst them though for the most part most of the girls have been tasked with external defense.

Me: As you're all aware, today we are gathered because we'll be restructuring the entirety of the current governing system. It has worked so far but it is inefficient, often causing delays that could otherwise be prevented.

There are nods of agreement throughout the room though no one dares criticise it openly. Seeing them all listening, I decide to forego the usual formalities in favour of jumping straight to the point.

Me: First off, let's get the overall structure of the new system out of the way. Before you are documents outlining such. Familiarise yourselves with the general outline and after you've had a few minutes to go over it, we'll discuss.

At the head, there's the Empress. That much isn't changing. However, from the very next tier below her there'll be a substantial shift. 

Unlike before, the entirety of the military will now report directly to the Empress. Rather than being part of their local constituencies, these forces will now form part of the overall military and have no other loyalties other than to the Empress who's the only one with permission to order the military as a whole to engage in any particular operation.

Separate from the military, the civilian aspect of the government will fall under a newly created Imperial Council. This council will report to the Empress. However, they will not be in charge of any single aspect of the nation. Rather, they are like managers. They'll guide the Empire on a whole, overseeing its progress while carrying out Her Imperial Majesty's commands. 

Beneath this Imperial Council will be the regional governments. These bodies will govern each nation/region within the Empire by following the Imperial Council's declarations. In this way, the Imperial Council acts as the central government body while the regional governments act as the limbs of said body, carrying out that which the central body tasks it with doing while simultaneously freeing up said central body to better manage the entire structure instead of only being able to focus on one area at a time.

Needless to say, it is primarily because of this change that the military is being placed under the Empress' direct control rather than being left as is.