Ch22: Another Pearl Harbour

Enterprise's POV:

As I sit amongst the ruins of what once was the remainder of our great Atlantic Fleet, it feels as though the weight of the world sits on my shoulders. Tears stream down my cheeks even as our nation's fighters finally manage to regain Air Superiority over our skies. However, it is too late. The enemy has already withdrawn in victory.

Already there are talks amongst the people that this attack is worse than the attack we'd suffered at Pearl Harbour

Already there are talks amongst the people that this attack is worse than the attack we'd suffered at Pearl Harbour. As the city burns behind me, I can't argue with that judgement. 

Not only have they destroyed our fleet but they destroyed the facilities to repair them as well. They also went a step further by demolishing our regional oil stockpiles and completely obliterating our national spirit.

I had been hastily repaired throughout the night in preparation for the great Independence Day celebrations. It was a sheer technological marvel that I'd been even partially restored in such a short time. My return was meant to bolster the people's spirits and yet...look at me. I was utterly useless to protect those same people as Iron Blood brutally bombed their homes, their workplaces, and their future into the ashes.

Just like those ashes, everything we stand for has equally been blown away with the wind. Justice? Liberty? Freedom! All are meaningless now.

The image of an Iron Blood flag replacing the Statue of Liberty, our beacon...the very foundation of our existence, has been burnt into every last citizen of Eagle Union's minds. Though the flag has since been taken down and burnt, it does little to ease the feeling of utter dejection within. This is only more confounded by the fact that my sister's state has worsened. 

Hornet was repaired enough by the time of the attack to be able to make the journey to the Pacific for repairs but Yorktown's state is critical. She can't manage the trip.

As fresh tears spill forth, a hand pulls me into a loving embrace. It is the arms of Washington and as she holds me, I allow myself to holler, my pain finally being released.

...

...

...

It is sometime later when we reconvene on the site of what once was the White House. Already plans are underway for reconstruction but with the damage this widespread, everyone acknowledges that it will be some time before it is rebuilt as right now the attack has left us wide open for further incursions and though Washington doubts there will be another attack the others all feel there is a pressing need to repair our naval facilities first.

Washington: I agree but for now, our entire force still needs to be relocated to the Pacific to undergo repairs. Those of us who can't make the journey conventionally will be shipped there aboard trailers. As such, I've already requested a heavy military presence along the route and a no-fly zone be established over and around the convoys to ensure your safety. 

Cleveland: I'll also go with the convoy to offer it better protection.

The others, still sea-worthy, also chime in much to Washington's surprise. Still, from the smile that soon washes over her, it is clear that she's happy. 

Washington: Unfortunately, Yorktown was further damaged during the attacks and as such she can't make such a journey. She'll be kept here in the East on life support until we're able to commence repairs on her on this side.

Silence washes over the group once more though it is soon broken by the sound of the tractors beginning to clear away the White House's rubble. Some of the girls head over to help with the clearing while others begin preparing for the departure westward. As they do, Washington pulls me to the side.

Washington: Hey, how are you feeling?

Me: Like completely shit.

She laughs, though it is more out of pity than anything.

Washington: We all feel that way right now. The President is dead.

Me: What?

Washington: Given I also held the position as a formality, congress has already elected to make me the official President of Eagle Union thus unifying the two offices into one.

Me: But how?

Washington: He'd been evacuated from the White House but the convoy carrying him got bombed. He did not survive and neither did the Vice President who also died in a similar fashion while in New York. The Speaker of the House also died there while visiting the Statue of Liberty.

Me: One would think they'd planned this strike for years.

Washington: Indeed, but I get the feeling it is little more than a retaliatory strike for our own attack.

She bangs her hand in frustration against one of the few remaining walls causing it to crumble.

Washington: I told them this was a stupid idea! Iron Blood had even stopped raiding our convoys, thus effectively leaving us in peace but no!!! These fucking politicians just wouldn't take a successful enemy ruling Europe relatively peacefully as an acceptable conclusion.

Me: Hey, take it easy. These will be your people now that you're President. It wouldn't do if your first act was to degrade the legitimacy of your own government before your people.

At that, she seemingly calms down. It's only then that I notice that the fires within the city have finally died down. I know the people have been hard at work trying to save as much as they can but I fear what the death toll will be once the tallying begins.

Me: Do you think we'll mount a response?

Washington: We couldn't even if we tried. Even if our Pacific Fleet were to come to the Atlantic for the attack, there's nowhere on the East Coast where they could resupply for the assault. They'd arrive sitting ducks to be picked off with impunity.

Me: So this is it then, huh?

Washington: Even I wouldn't dare to suggest we sue for peace now. We'll first wait and see the mood the people take, whether they seek revenge or have truly been beaten into submission. Then, we'll move on from there.

Me: If it's the latter?

Washington: Then we'll try to seek terms from a position of strength.

At that, I laugh, pointing to the utter chaos all around us.

Me: Good luck with that.