Ch25: Delegation

Akagi's POV:

I can't believe they're making me do this. It's bad enough they're sending both Kaga and me so far away from the front lines but we have no idea how Iron Blood's new Empress will react upon our arrival! After all, she's made no effort to contact us since relations broke down following her ascension.

Sigh

Kaga: We're almost there, sister.

Me: Hmmm?

Kaga: We're about to pass through the canal. Will we be stopping off in Alexandria?

Me: I...sure. If nothing else we can see about getting clearance for approaching their heartland.

It doesn't take long for us to arrive but when we do, I'm shocked at how much the city has changed since the last time we were here. It's true that since then Rumelia has ceded the region to Iron Blood but I can tell just by looking at the countless smiling faces all around us that the people are absolutely living their best lives.

What's more, despite walking a good distance towards the administrative district I don't come across a single poorly developed part of the town. There are no homeless camps either and perhaps even more surprising, the streets are clean and well-maintained.

Kaga: Well, at least now we know why they haven't contacted us.

Me: Yes, it seems the Empress has been quite busy.

By the time we've made it to our destination, I'm certain there's nothing we could offer them to join the war save for potentially submitting to their rule. 

Receptionist: Good day, how can I help you?

Me: I...well, we're here as ambassadors from the Sakura Empire and would like to receive clearance to continue travelling towards the heartlands.

Why am I so nervous? Is it because this land now feels so foreign? 

Receptionist: Oh! One moment, please.

She hurriedly rushes off but soon returns with another woman in tow. This lady is in one of Iron Blood's distinct black military outfits. I wonder if she's here to try and apprehend us?

????: Good day, ladies. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am...well, you can simply call me Clarissa for now.

Me: Okay, I am Akagi and with me is my sister Kaga. We're here for-

Clarissa: Martha has already relayed why you're here and I've already gotten you the clearance you sought. However, I've been instructed by the Empress to escort you to Berlin.

Me: Escort us? Won't we just be flying there?

Clarissa: I apologise for the inconvenience but that's the only way you'd be allowed to approach the hearland.

Sighing, I decide to play along for now. After all, we're here on a diplomatic mission. It's only fitting that we follow their regulations if we're seeking to become their friends.

The trip from the Municipal Centre to the Airport is a lot shorter than I expected thanks to our escort apparently being some big shot within the Empire as they have the roads cleared for us.

Once there, however, I'm taken aback by the plane.

Me: What is that exactly?

Clarissa: Like it? That's the plane that will be taking us to Berlin. It will get us there in under an hour.

Me: WHAT?

Clarissa: Welcome to Iron Blood.

True to her word, once the plane is off the ground it moves so fast that it feels as though I've barely settled in when the pilot informs us that we'll be landing shortly. Furthermore, Berlin itself looks nothing like it did before. It's like something out of a fairytale!

Below us, as the aircraft prepares to land, cars speed along a massive motorway. Trains rocket over that same motorway at speeds that might even make a trip to the Sakura Empire look like a weekend break!

What the hell is this? I thought we were still roughly equal in technology. At this rate, I doubt even the Eagle Union will be able to keep up with...no, they probably far exceed what they have to offer. After all, if the Eagle Union had tools like this they'd have defeated us long ago.

The minute the plane comes to a halt, our escort turns to face us.

Clarissa: We'll be heading to a hotel first given the time. Besides, I'm sure you'd like to relax and freshen up before meeting the Empress. 

Kaga: Are you-

Me: Thank you. That'd be most appreciated.

Kaga stares at me as if wanting to ask something but I return a look that says wait until later and thankfully, she understands. As we exit the plane, we're directed to a group of waiting cars which take us through what seems like a secondary exit. 

The trip to the hotel is filled with more surprises as we take in the various advancements on display and by the time we reach the hotel, I'm certain that we must get them to ally with us. 

Clarissa: I'll be back to collect you tomorrow.

Me: I look forward to it.

Clarissa: Good evening.

With that she leaves and immediately Kaga turns to face me.

Kaga: Sister, why didn't you ask to meet her today?

Me: It's simple. This gives us time to prepare.