Ch39: Two Empresses

Today's a busy day. Within the palace, girls frolic to and fro in preparation for the arrival of our guests. Yes, today we'll be playing host to the newly crowned Empress of the Sakura Empire. From what I've heard from Bismarck and Prince of Wales, she's an odd choice for Empress. Nevertheless, she's the one her people chose and as such while they've advised that preparations are done as is customary, they haven't yet asked for any special accommodations to be set aside for her.

I'm staring at the preparations underway in the palace gardens from the balcony when I feel someone's hands wrap around my waist. At first, I think it's Ulrich getting bolder but as the person's bust presses into my back, all thoughts formulate only one being.

Me: Mother.

Mother: Don't sound so surprised.

I glance at her as she presses her cheek up against mine while still hugging me.

Mother: Is it such a bad thing for a mother to come see her daughter?

Me: I never said it was-

Mother: You aren't overworking yourself, are you? 

Me: I'm not.

Mother: You know you can ask me for help-

Me: I know.

Mother: I'll always come, no matter-

Me: Mother, what do you want?

She gasps as if I've insulted her before releasing me with a pout.

Mother: Is that all you think of your Mother?

Me: Hmmm?

Mother: That I'm nothing more than a leech-

Me: I never said that-

She's not listening, going off about how she never thought this day would come and how she thought she was being a great mother. I ignore most of her words in favour of refocusing on the preparations unfolding below.

After some time, she finally calms down enough to listen to what I have to say and after I spend the next 15 minutes explaining to her that I'd never cast her away, she accepts my words though not without demanding a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Shortly after granting her request, she takes me by the hand and leads me back inside where she quickly does my hair. I remind her that the maids are responsible for things like this but she's not having none of it and having already calmed her down once, I decide against starting another argument.

...

...

Sometime later, we're gathered in the throne room as the delegation from the Sakura Empire arrives. The lead introduces the rest of their party before announcing the arrival of their Empress. As the latter enters, her people all slightly bow in her direction while those from Iron Blood look on as they carry out their traditional practices. 

Smiling, I stand and at once the room falls silent as all personnel from Iron Blood salute in unison as though their very lives depend on the perfect execution of their greeting. I small wave of the hand is enough to get them to relax as I make my way down the stairs from my throne and towards the waiting Empress Hakuryuu.

As ever, Jean is shadowing my movement but she does stop just short when I greet Hakuryuu. 

Me: A pleasure to finally meet you.

Hakuryuu: I...I'm happy to be able to meet you as well.

I smile, noticing how her eyes flicker to the many eyes watching her as her hand slowly pulls her sword closer and closer to her body. I also take note of how she seemingly calms down upon realising it is still there, right where she left it.