Ch36: SIRENS

????'s POV:

Alarms blare all across the facility as the others run to and fro, trying to figure out what's going on. Are we under attack? No, I already know what this is. This is the warning we'd set in place if our experiment reached the levels requiring us to intervene. It seems one of the nations finally managed to reverse engineer the cubes we'd provided them with initially.

Honestly, with how much they were fighting amongst themselves I was worried we'd need to attack beforehand just to stimulate advancement through cooperation but it seems that will not be necessary.

Me: Tester, Purifier, gather our forces and launch an attack on this facility of theirs. We need to determine how far they've advanced. Should they exceed acceptable-

Purifier: Destroy the facility, right?

Me: Precisely.

Tester: Leave it to me!

I watch as the two head off before refocusing on the screen before me. It's showing a live view of the Research Facility which itself is surrounded by defenses that shouldn't be present in this era. Furthermore, something's interfering with my sensors making it impossible to see what's on the inside.

Sigh

I bet that girl has something to do with this. Zero keeps interfering, slowing down our progress in locating my sister. We've already checked various timelines...I wonder what she's hiding.<->

<->

It's a normal day for the people at the research facility. Having recently proven their worth to the Empress, they've been enjoying the break she's given them though none have left the facility. Right now, Ariel is walking along the beach. Due to her importance to the project, she's being escorted by Patricia Abelheim. She's one of the new girls they'd created. Being a battleship, she's rather strong which is perhaps the only reason Arial was allowed to go outside in the first place.

Ariel: Patricia, what do you think about the beach?

Patricia: I'm not sure...it's a new feeling for me.

Ariel: Is the sand uncomfortable?

Patricia: No. It's not like that. I...I just feel different.

Ariel: Hmmm...we might need to run tests to see how being outside a sterile environment affects you.

Patricia: I'm still fully functional!

Ariel: I never said you weren't. You're a KANSEN after all. It'd be weird if you got damaged by sand or water.

Patricia doesn't respond, instead stooping down to pick up some sand in her hand to prove that she's unaffected. However, as her fingers sink into the sand, her body freezes. Ariel, worried, rushes over asking what's wrong but rather than respond Patricia deploys her rigging before stepping in front of Ariel while calling out for assistance from the other KANSEN stationed at the facility.