Ch34: Nuclear

I'm standing in a hidden room within our R&D Complex in Leningrad. With me are many scientists and engineers alongside Jean and a few of the other Imperial Guards. Köln is also present, having been one of the girls assigned to oversee the project.

Today, we're about to fully test what might very well become this world's first, full-fledged nuclear reactor. If successful, it will begin paving the path towards providing free electricity for all the citizens of my Empire.

Köln: Just to be safe, Your Majesty, please wear these.

She hands me a tinted pair of glasses which when put on doesn't outright block all light but does significantly dim the brightness of the room. Through the thick glass separating us from the reactor chamber, I'm able to watch as they start it up. 

At first, there is nothing. Then there are a few flickers of what seems like lightning before it happens. The flickers concentrate in the centre as they begin pooling together to form what has the makings of becoming an artificial sun. The structure around it all begins groaning as the gravitational pressure begins rising.

 The structure around it all begins groaning as the gravitational pressure begins rising

Köln: Seal it!

The chamber restructures itself as a casing enclosing the miniature star. Even from this distance, I can tell that the metal it's made out of is both stronger and thicker than anything within this world prior. They must've done countless tests and created numerous alloys to get this...whatever this is. Yet...

Scientist: It's not closing!

Brünhilde, not wasting a second, tells them to open the door and when they fail to comply she smashes the console causing the door to open before charging straight for the reactor. Everyone can only watch, stunned, as she kicks the shielding shut. 

At the same time, Köln types something furiously into the command module which sees the reactor quickly stabilise. The scientists all breathe a collective sigh of relief but I quickly tell them to get to the containment unit as I'm certain they've been bathed in radiation.

Köln: It's okay, Your Majesty. They'll be fine as we used the shielding technology developed in the Jerusalem complex to seal off the reactor chamber from the rest of the building meaning even if the glass broke or the door was left open the radiation wouldn't escape the chamber.