Ch11: Sultan

Since the attack, we've been staying at the hotel which has been effectively transformed into an overseas territory of my Empire. Not a single Remulian citizen has been allowed on the lot with our military forces cracking down on any who even so much as dare to approach. 

Jean has been equally adamant about my safety, going as far as to station 24/7 patrols of KANSEN throughout the Hotel's many floors while also ensuring that there's always at least one battleship or battlecruiser with a destroyer by my side at all times.

Seeing her worry this much for my safety convinces me that she's loyal and the fact that the Royal Navy girls comply shows that they have no intention of betraying me unless Elizabeth orders them to do so.

Sigh

Jean: Today's the day you'll be meeting the Sultan. I'd like to go over the security details-

Me: I trust your judgement.

Jean: I...that's beside the point! 

She seems flustered by my sudden declaration of trust but ever the dutiful one she is quick to remind me that I need to know what to do in the event of another attack.

Me: I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to try it again. We've already redeployed the Meditteranean Fleet to join our naval escorts meaning we now have enough forces stationed offshore to invade Rumelia should they attempt such.

Jean: Yes, but that doesn't mean that a rebel or terrorist cell won't try to stir up trouble.

Me: What would they gain from having Iron Blood annex Rumelia?

Jean: You'd annex it?

Me: You think I'd turn down the opportunity to secure their many oil fields? While I won't go out of my way to attack them so long as they stay neutral in this fight, I won't turn down such a gift.

Jean: You want them to attack you, don't you?

Me: I never said that.

Jean sighs like a woman who has given up on life before plopping down on the sofa opposite where I'm sitting as Perseus combs my hair.

Me: If that's everything then we should leave out.

She nods and before long our convoy is underway. This time, it is the Rumelian Military blocking the streets with helicopters and even fighter jets escorting us on the way towards the palace. It seems they know full well what the consequence of me being attacked again would be as they are pulling out all they can.

Jean: This is what they should have done from the beginning.

Me: It wouldn't have been necessary back then.

Jean: You take your potential assassination way too lightly.

Me: It's not like my death would result in the end of the Empire-

Jean: Do not even joke about such a thing. If you were to die suddenly the entire Empire would be thrown into chaos. 

Me: Fine. How about this? With you here I have no reason to fear death.

The glare she gives me silences me...for a second before my laughter fills the car.

Me: Relax, Jean. Learn to enjoy life a little. 

She scoffs before turning to look out the window.

Perseus: We're there, Your Majesty.

True enough, the vehicle drives through the Palace gates before coming to a stop. From there, we're ushered on foot through countless doors until I'm announced to the Sultan and led onto a terrace overlooking the Palace Grounds.

After greeting one another, I take my seat across from him as maids serve delicacies for us to enjoy during our talks. There aren't many persons with us though his Ministers of Finance, Defence and Foreign Relations are all present. Additionally, there are a few guards present as well.

For my part, there's the Imperial Guard and Maids I brought with me but everyone else takes the time off to tour the palace.

Sultan: Firstly, allow me to apologize for the attack on your life. I know I have no right to ask this but would you be willing to overlook the matter? In exchange, we're willing to compensate with anything-

Me: Careful. Such promises could see me asking for Rumelia to join the war on my side or worse, become a Vassal State of my Empire.

He remains silent but his Minister of Defence flares up at this, demanding to know if that was a threat.

Me: Minister, a threat would be what your people did to me. A bomb, blowing up the vehicle your own government provided for my safety...

Sultan: Are you suggesting one of my Ministers wanted to-

Ignoring his question, I begin taking a sip of the tea my own maids provided, leaving the snacks his servants brought out for him to eat. Jean had already stressed the need not to accept anything from them and while I don't know what poison would do to the body of a KANSEN, I have no intention of finding out.

Sultan: I'm sorry, we've gotten off track. We're here to speak about relations between our nations. We can address the matter another time.

He pauses, awaiting my confirmation but I continue drinking the tea as if I don't hear. Surprisingly, he waits until I am finished and have placed down my cup before even motioning with his body that he expects a response.

Me: Firstly, we've met the two girls you've been sheltering for us these past years. As a result, I am willing to overlook this matter in thanks for caring for them without requesting anything in returSultan: I...of course.

Me: Secondly, while it is true that we're here to discuss the relations between our Empires, my only concerns lie in whether your Empire would be willing to prevent Azur Lane from passing through the Suez while simultaneously signing an exclusive deal with us to provide us with oil and other natural resources we may desire.

Sultan: That would go against our neutral policy, to so heavily favour one side.

Me: Well it is either that or hand over the Misr Region to us. We'll return it to you at the end of the war.

Sultan: You want me to give up one of my most prosperous territories for free!!

He rises to his feet as his fists bang against the table. His ministers likewise rise in anger but rather than follow them, I merely continue sipping my tea.

Me: You can either hand it over peacefully, in which we'll gladly compensate you, or we can take it by force and should you not accept our peace offer then...move on to conquer the rest of Rumelia.

Sultan: Why...you! You never intended for peace from the start!

Me: Is that you refusing my offer?

Sultan: Of course I refuse-

Me: Jean?

Jean: Yes, Your Majesty?

Me: We're leaving.

Sultan: Wait! You can't just-

Me: What? You've refused. There's no further reason for these talks to continue.

Sultan: But-

Me: Good day, gentlemen. 

At the door, I stop. Without turning to face them I utter my final words to their government.

Me: Iron Blood formally declares war on the Rumelia Empire.

With that, I exit the building and much to my surprise, no one tries to stop us. I mean, they don't have the means to do so but I figured they'd still try. Oh, well. Perhaps they are smarter than they look.

Me: Contact the fleet and inform them they can move to secure Alexandria. We'll use it as a base to secure the canal.

Azur Lane: Kaiserin (Book 2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara