Ch43: A Mother's Fury (1)

Imperial Palace - Berlin, Iron Blood

FDG's POV:

How long has it been since my daughter vanished? I can't even remember anymore. I've tried everything. I've searched every nation, every ocean...the entire world, twice over and yet...

Warm hands wrap around me from behind causing me to look up from where I'd been crying. I hadn't heard anyone come in so the feeling came as a surprise.

Ulrich: We'll keep searching so don't give up.

Turning to her, I can't help the tears that come rushing forth as I bury my face between her breasts. My soft sobs soon turn to wails of agony but she doesn't pull away. No, my sister continues comforting me until my body finally caves in after weeks of no rest and constant searching.

...

...

...

????: How is she?

????: I fear if we don't find her soon she'll...

????: I-

Uggghhh...I must've fallen asleep. Why does my body feel so heavy though? It's like something is forcing me to remain in bed. Bed? What am I doing in bed? No, I should be-

Eugen: Your Highness!

All: SHHHH!!!!

Rupprecht: What's the matter?

Eugen: Eagle Union is requesting our aid. They've located an ongoing SIREN operation occurring in the Arctic Ocean.

Rupprecht: I...

Ulrich: Most of our forces are still preoccupied with searching for the Empress.

Rupprecht: No. Mother wouldn't leave our allies to fend for themselves, regardless of our own circumstances, unless doing so would directly threaten Iron Blood. We can spare a few girls to assist.

Ulrich: If that is your decision then I recommend sending the Northern Fleet. They not only have the most experience traversing the Arctic but are also nearby meaning we wouldn't have to redeploy our forces much.

Rupprecht: An excellent idea. Eugen, see to it that they are updated on the situation-

My granddaughter is a lot stronger than me. Here I am, on the edge of despair and unable to carry out my duties while she's here covering for the both of us. I wish I had her strength.

As if they can hear my thoughts, I soon feel a hand rest on my side. My eyes are still closed but when the person begins speaking, I feel a warmth I hadn't felt in a long time flood through my veins.

Rupprecht: Get some rest, grandmother. Leave everything to me.

I can't help the smile that spreads across my face upon realising she knows I'm awake but when I try to get up she reinforces her hand and keeps me down on the bed, restating that I should get proper rest before trying to help out.