Ch30: Family

I can't believe Mother talked me into this. I'll admit it could be worse but...sigh...I suppose it isn't all that bad. I should make the most of the opportunity since she's gotten the entire family to go on this safari trip. 

Apart from Mother and me, there are Rupprecht, Parseval and Ulrich. Jean is also here but has chosen to remain out of sight to stay on my Mother's good side after insisting that I take at least one guard with me on this otherwise personalised trip created by Mother.

So far, Friedrich doesn't seem to mind but I'm sure if Jean shows her face there'll be chaos.

Rupprecht: Grandmother, did you...you know, to have Mom?

Ulrich chokes on her drink as Friedrich struggles to come up with an appropriate response. I suppose we never really had the conversation before now and given the way Rupprecht was born it is only fitting that she'd think of it similarly. Not that I know how I became pregnant either.

Me: That's a conversation we can have-

FDG: Actually, I suppose you should all know.

Ulrich: Sister...

FDG: I was actually pregnant-

Me: WHAT?

Wait. Hold up! Since when? I'm pretty sure I wasn't pushed or cut out of anyone so what the hell is she getting at here?

FDG: It's part of the reason everyone calls me Mother.

Me: Wasn't that just because of your...unique personality?

Ulrich: She's telling the truth. She was pregnant initially, though it barely showed at the time.

Me: Then how did you find out?

Ulrich: Routine maintenance. It was initially kept secret from everyone but then one day the baby just vanished.

Me: What do you mean vanished?

Ulrich: Precisely that. It disappeared...then soon after you were found with no memory of how you ended up in the middle of the ocean or how to use your KANSEN abilities.

Wow. Just wow. I was not expecting this turn of events...holy shit! 

Rupprecht: Has anyone confirmed whether Mother is-

I stop her, placing a finger to her lips before nodding towards FDG who's avoiding our gaze. Ulrich notices too and falls silent.

FDG: I should have told you sooner. I'm sorry I just forced my motherly love onto you-

She's cut off as I pull her into a hug. Rupprecht joins me while Parseval struggles to decide what to do.

Me: Regardless of whether you are my birth mother or not, you'll always be my Mother.

Rupprecht: And you'll always be my grandmother.

She bursts into tears, hugging us tightly as she talks about how much she loves us both. We stay like that for a few minutes more before finally parting and just in time as a pride of lions comes forward. They stare at us and for a moment, all's silent before a sudden scream grabs our attention to Parseval being dragged away by a lioness.

Me: When did they sneak up behind us?

Ulrich: We need to help her-

Me: Nah, she's fine.

Rupprecht: Mother-

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

There's a massive explosion which scares away all local fauna. From the dust and smoke, Parseval emerges, her clothes charred but otherwise intact.