Chapter 11

August came in a blink of eye.

It was 21 August 2023 already. The player list could be announced any minute now. Everyone were huddled together in front of the laptop. Shubman's email id was opened and Shahneel was refreshing his inbox every once in a while.

After that evening, Shubman's family ignored talking with each other for a while. But when it was time to announce the player list they all forgot everything and anticipated for him.

"I think there is something wrong with the wifi. We should refresh our wifi." Shahneel said.

"There is something wrong with your brain. The list was going to come at 2 pm and it's 1:38 pm right now." Shubman snorted.

"Yeah we should wait for a bit, if we will keep on refreshing the inbox then nothing will change." Mr Gill spoke.

"Shall we play ludo till then?" Mrs Gill asked and everyone's eyes lit up.

---

"You cheated" Shubman huffed.

"No i did not, you are just a sore loser." Shahneel shrugged.

"Dad she cheated right?" Shubman said looking at his father who pursued his lips.

"She did not cheated beta, she won fair and square. But it's just a game right? It should not affect you much. You can win next time." Mr Gill patted his son back.

"See, even dad knows I won fair and square. Loser, that's why Sara doesn't like you back." Shahneel snorted.

"Dii" Shubman gasped and Shahneel bit her tongue. Oh shit.

"What about Sara?" Mrs Gill asked.

"Uhm they are not dating or anything. They are just good friends you know." Shahneel quickly said.

"But Shubman likes her." Mr Gill whispered in a calm tone.

"Dad he is of 24, it's normal to have crushes in this age." Shahneel replied.

"Shubman beta, I don't have any problem with your crushes. But you should focus on your career right now. Dating and everything can wait. After 3 years when you will have a stable career I will never stop you from dating anyone." Mr Gill said and Shubman nodded his head.

"Yes Dad I know, it's just a small crush, I will never date anyone without your knowledge. " Shubman said.

"I trust you beta. And don't worry after you get stable in your career if you asked to marry Sara right away we will even go to the Tendulkar house ourselves." His father joked.

"But what if by then Shubman wanted to marry a dog?" Shahneel snorted.

"Then he can marry dog, I just want his happiness." Mrs Gill elbowed shahneel.

"Ouch" Shaneel whined.

"Oo teri look at time, it's 2:30 already." Shubman said and everyone ran towards the laptop again.

"Shahneel be fast" Mrs Gill ushered her daughter who was opening the inbox.

"Here is the list" She spoke while clicking on the mail.

' Rohit Sharma (C), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Tilak Varma, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya (VC), Jasprit Bumrah, Md. Shami,Ravindra Jadeja, Ishan Kishan, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Sanju Samson.'

"OMG our brother is on first" Shahneel squealed and hugged him tightly.

"I will go and distribute sweets in the whole colony. My son is playing in Asia Cup." Mrs Gill smiled widely.

"Our son" Mr Gill retorted. 

"I mean yes our son" She said while pecking her son all over his face.

"Congratulations beta. I am so proud of you." His dad said hugging him after everyone were done assaulting him.

"Thank you dad" Shubman grinned widely.

"I will go and call Ishan now, he will be happy." Shubman grinned taking out his phone.

"Ishan Kishan?" Mr Gill asked and Shubman nodded his head.

"Beta you know naa I will only say what's best for you?" Mr Gill spoke.

"Ofcourse dad, I know you will only want the best for me." Shubman replied.

"Yea, so I know Ishan is your best friend but he is not a good company for you. Look at you, you are selected for the opening and he is just selected as a substitute player, he is not even in the playing XI" Mr Gill said.

"But dad—" Shubman tried to defend but his father stopped him.

"I know he is your friend and we should never judge anyone. But Shubman you should also keep yourself in good company. Talk with Rahul Sir and Rohit sir, they will help you in getting better. Virat Kohli is your idol, you should be messaging him and share a few words." Mr Gill said.

Shubman looked down and nodded his head.

"Don't take my words in a wrong way okay? Trust me I will only ask you to do the things which will help you in future. You will not understand it now but you will thank me in the future." His dad said patting his back.

"Now go champ, you really made me proud." Mr Gill said and went out of the room.

Only Shubman and Shahneel were in the room now.

"Don't say anything di"

"What? I haven't even said anything."

"But I know what you want to say. And Dad is right okay? He just don't know Ishan as closely as I know so he might think of Ishan as a notorious guy. It's totally understandable. " Shubman spoke.

"I don't care what dad is saying. I want to know will you call Ishan now?"

"I can congratulate him after ten days when we will be together. "

"So dad changed your decision once again. Cool." Shahneel hummed and stood up.

"He did not forced me Di, I am the one who wants to relax these 10 days before we go to Sri Lanka."

"Sure bro, I can very well see that." Shahneel snorted before going out of the room to.

Once again Shubman was left alone, with deafening silence. 

He was selected as opening batsman in asia cup, why isn't he feeling happy now?

---

Okay I know I said I will not be updating but I couldn't stop my fingers from writing this ff in the stadium...my sister and everyone were giving me side eyes tho...asking what I was writing...the way I had to steer the conversation.

I mean they are shipping Sara and Shubman so how can I tell em that I want the bestfriends to be together instead.

Indian household problems, my parents ain't homophobic though, coz they have watched many homosexual movies like badhai do and ek ladki ko dekha toh esa laga

But when it comes to me they will def do tantra mantra on me lmaoo. Like imagine your daughter is writing a gay fic about two people who are supposedly straight.

Anyways I really enjoyed my time and you all can check out the stories through my snap - gwadhwa854

And as I am still in the stadium lemme send a pic as well -