One

*May 29th 1970*

Howard was outside the room, as Maria was giving birth to his child. He paced back and forth, as he heard her scream. He closed his eyes, willing it for to be over, so she wasn't in pain anymore. He loved his wife, more than anything. She was the only woman who he ever wanted to settle down with, and leave his wild days behind him.

He was thankful that Peggy was in the room with her. He could hear hushed talking in-between Maria's screams.

Even though it seemed that an eternity had passed, it wasn't long before Peggy comes out, a huge smile on her face.

'Congratulations Howard. They're both beautiful'... She pats his arm, seeing emotions flit across his face, as he drops into a chair. He had made sure that no one else was allowed in this hallway, and had security watching either end. He knew in their line of work, anyone would come, and harm his family.

He sighed, running a hand over his face, before looking up at his friend... 'Boy or girl?'

Peggy chuckled, hearing the door to the room open, a nurse pops her head out... 'You can come in now Mr Stark'... The nurse gives a bright smile at him and Peggy.

Peggy turns back to Howard, grabbing his arm and pulling him to his feet... 'Don't fall apart on us now Stark. You got off easy, Maria did all the hard work'

Linking her arm through his, she pushes open the door, leading Howard into the room to see his wife. He let out a breath of relief, rushing to her side, seeing her face lit up. She was always the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

'I'm proud of you sweetheart, you did amazing'... He brushes her hair from her face, planting a light kiss to her lips. He looks down to the child in her arms, and couldn't stop the emotions, making their way to the surface.

'Is this our son or daughter?'... He reaches out, his finger lightly stroking the cheek of his newborn.

Maria let out a tired laugh, leaning her head back... 'This is our son..'... She turns to look at one of the nurses, who just turned around... 'And that's our daughter..'.. She gestures with her head to the nurse who turned to them. Laying in her arms, was another baby, bundled up.

The nurse walks over smiling, holding the baby towards Howard... 'Would you like to hold your daughter, Mr Stark?'

Howard couldn't speak, or move. He was in shock. They didn't realise that she could be carrying twins. That didn't run in either side of their families. He just nodded at ther nurse, and awkwardly cradled his arms... 'I don't know what to do'... He said quietly, but he was heard by everyone.

Peggy clicked her tongue, coming over to show him how to hold his arms, as she took the baby from the nurse, and settled her into his arms. Peggy put her hand to Howard's back, and guided him to sit in the chair, next to Maria.

'Congratulations to both of you..'.. Peggy smiled. She was happy for her closest friends. They deserved this, after everything. They had suffered childloss in the early stages of pregnancy more than once. She couldn't stop the lump that came to her throat, knowing that this was a gift, they both deserved.

Clearing her throat, she looked at her two friends, smiling down at their children... 'So, do we have any names?'

Maria looked up at Howard, nodding at him. They had discussed names many times, and both settled on a boy name, and a girl name... 'Well, this little gentleman is Anthony Edward Stark'... She stoked her sons face lightly.

'And this is Amelia Margaret Stark..'.. Howard looked up at Peggy, smiling... 'After her godmother and favourite aunt of course'

Peggy's eyes filled with tears, as she nodded at the two of them... 'Wonderful names for them both'

Peggy excused herself, leaving the couple to enjoy their time with their children. She walked down the hallway, as happy tears fell. She knew Howard and Maria deserved this happiness, and she would do her best, to protect and care for her godchildren.

----------------------------------------------------------

*10 years later*

'Howard you can not keep doing this! It's completely and morally wrong!'... Peggy stood, with her hands on her hips, exasperated at her friend. She understood his need to help save his daughter, but all these tests, experiments and putting her into cryogenic sleep was awful to see.

She looked over at the chamber that held his daughter, frozen at young age. She barely looked older than 4, while she should be 10, like her brother. Peggy rubbed a hand over her face.

'I do not understand why you are doing this. You can not cure her. There is no cure Howard...'.. She sighs, seeing how broken her friend is. She walks over, placing a hand to his back... 'I'm sorry, but for your sake, as well as Maria's and Anthony's, you have to stop. They are losing you to this. They need you'

Howard hunched over, resting his elbows on the desk, his face falling into his hands, as he quietly cried.

Three years of age, and his daughter got really sick. Many were saying she had consumption, others said that her lungs were not fully developed. Whatever it was, it was killing her slowly. He had spent the last 7 years, fighting to find a cure for her.

She was his little princess and he couldn't lose her. Her mother and brother couldn't lose her either. Sitting up he took a big breath, composing himself.

'I'm not giving up Peg. If I give up on her, I may as well give up on everything else'... He turned back to his notes, trying to find anything he could. He had hired people to scour research of different cultures, to see if there was anything that could help.

'Well, I'm off to see your wife and son, seeing as you wont'... Peggy strode to the door, holding the handle... 'I know what it's like, to lose someone you love. I lost Steve, and its taken time, but I healed. I know it's not the same, but just know, I'm here when you're ready'

He heard her open the door and leave him. He was sat at his desk, staring at the page  in front of him. Her words, ringing in his ears. Steve... of course. Steve. He had been quite ill himself, but with Erskines formula, and his machine, they had healed Steve, making him a super solider.

Getting up, he went to his door, locking it, before heading to his hidden safe. Opening it, he pulled the files out, placing them on the desk. There, at the back of his safe, sat the old cigar box. Taking it out, he turns and sits at his desk.

He takes a breath before opening it, and seeing both vials still in there. One held a blue liquid, the other was a vial of blood. He was meant to recreate the serum, for the government with these, but his daughter was more important.

Looking across at his daughter in the chamber, he didn't know if it would work. If he didn't try, he would still lose her. Looking back down at the contents of the box, he made the choice. He would use them for her.

Closing the box back up, he put it and the files back in his safe. Locking it up, he turned back to his desk. Sweeping his notes off the table, he pulled new sheets of papers, and began writing.

He could do it, he could save her. He decided not to tell anyone, just in case it didn't work. But if it did, their family would be whole again. Finally, after what felt like decades, Howard Stark, had hope.

😘