1-800-273-8255 ~ California x Maryland

Tw: Self harm and mentions of suicide

All of the states are sitting at the table eating  dinner. California has barely touched his food.

"Hey, Cali?" Florida grabs California's attention.

"Yeah?" Cali responds.

"So it hot there right?"

"Yeah.... Why?"

"Why do you wear long sleeves then?" Florida asks.

"No reason." Cali says quickly and starts back down at his food. There is a reason, he's attempted suicide in many different ways and he does self harm. His arms are covered in scars and he has a stab wound in his stomach where he tried to kill himself by stabbing himself but turns out states are immoral.

"Oh please," Florida presses on. "Come on, why do you always wear flannel over your shirt?"

"No." Cali says while he messes with the food on his plate.

"Does we really matter just tell us." Texas speaks.

"No." California says a bit louder.

"Come on." Florida says.

"Fine!" California stands and throws his flannel off, throwing it across the room. He holds his arms out, showing Florida both sides of his arms. "There you go, that's why I wear long sleeve!"

Maryland's face instantly turns to worry and shock, "Ar-are th- did you do those to yourself?" He cares about Cali, he instantly regrets not telling him that he loved him or else maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

"Yep, all of them, fun fact we're immoral, we can't fucking die! I've tried! Jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge, cut myself, hung myself, stabbed myself, overdosed; multiple fucking times! None of it works!" California yells and stands up. He starts walking towards his room.

"You wanna borrow a gun?" Florida shouts.

Everyone gives Florida a wtf look. Maryland stands up, "What the fuck is wrong with you!?" He yells and punches Florida in the face, knocking him out of his chair, onto the ground.

Florida blocks his face with his arms.

Maryland straddles Florida's waist and pries his arms away from his face and punches him over and over again. Florida tries to fight against him but Mary is far stronger than him. Florida's face is beaten and bloody. It takes Massachusetts and Georgia to pull Maryland off Florida.

Mass and Geo hold Mary back, away from Florida. Louie helps Florida up and gets him to the bathroom.

"Let me go!" Maryland tries to break free from Mass and Georgia's grabs.

"Not until ya calm down." Massachusetts says.

Maryland calms himself down, "Ok I'm calm."

They both let go of his arms. Maryland storms out of the room and goes to his room. He kicks his door open and takes off his flag cape and throws it across the room in anger. He punches the wall until his knuckles are bleeding. "Shit," He mumbles and goes to his bathroom and wraps his hands in bandages.

California is sitting on his floor, he has a razor blade in his hand. He takes a deep breath and cuts his wrist with the blade. Blood drips from the deep cut onto the floor. He cuts his other wrist and drops the blades. Tears run down his cheeks, he wipes his tears away and blood smears onto his face.

Maryland sits on the lid of his toilet and cools his anger, he thinks about California and what he could be doing. That anger instantly turns to worry. Mary gets up and runs down the hallway towards California's room. He knocks on California's door, "Cali?" No answer. "California?" Still no answer. Maryland slowly opens the door to find California sitting on the floor with blood and tears smeared on his face. Mary drops to him knees in front of Cali. He wraps his arms around California.

"What are you doing?" California asks.

"Giving you a hug." Maryland responds, California stay still. Maryland pulls away from Cali, he cups California's face with both hands. "I should have told you a long time ago. I love you, California."

"R-really?" Cali asks with tears running down his face.

"Yes." Maryland glances at California's lips, "May I?" California gives him a small nod, Mary presses his lips to California's. He pulls away, "I love you," Maryland whispers.

"I love you, too." California replies.

"Do you have a first aid kit?" Maryland asks.

"In the bathr- what happened to your hands?"

"Not important." Maryland says then pick California up bridal style and carries him into the bathroom and puts him on the toilet. "Where's the first aid kit?"

"Cabinet." California responds.

Maryland opens the cabinet and grabs the first aid kit and opens it. He starts cleaning Cali's wounds and wraps his wrists with bandages. Mary grabs a cloth and cleans off Cali's face. Maryland turns to walk out of the room, he stops in the doorway and turns around to look at California, "Stay."

Maryland runs out of the room and grabs bleach and a rag, he walks back into the room and cleans California's floor where the blood was. He walks into the bathroom door away California is still where Maryland left him. He's still on the toilet lid staring at the bandages on his wrists.

Maryland cleans the bathroom floor, while he's kneeling on the floor by California he put the rag down at grabs Cali's hands. California looks him in the eye and gives Mary a small smile. Maryland smiles back up at him, "I love you."

"I love you too." California responds.

Maryland let's go of his hands and finishes cleaning the floor. He puts the clean supplies away and goes back to California's room to find Cali laying on his bed, facing the wall. Mary lays next to California and wraps his arms around him, spooning him. He can feel Cali relax in his arms.

California turns around in Maryland's arm so that they're facing each other. Cali buries his face in Maryland's chest and snuggles into him. It doesn't take long for both of them to fall asleep.