♕♚An Assassin's Faith♔♛

By Lucid_fantasies_

"Life is a game of chess. You are the player and everything you could make use of is in your hands. Kill, man... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
♕♚ E⃟p⃟i⃟l⃟o⃟g⃟u⃟e⃟ ♔♛
*20 A.F Facts*
•Special Chapter: Lait's Birthday•
•Special Chapter: Maria's Birthday•

•Special Chapter: Yinyu's Birthday•

90 3 55
By Lucid_fantasies_

In the comfort of the Yinyu's bedsheets and the warmth of his bed, Yinyu finally fluttered his eyes closed and rested his head on his soft fluffy pillow. Rien's furious typing on his gaming PC in the other room faded away into the distance. The coziness of Yinyu's bed embraced the boy and enveloped him into a bubble of comfort. The sleepy boy took in the aroma of the lavender scented beddings before his breathing came to a steady pace. Yinyu inhaled and exhaled slowly, feeling the drowsiness taking over his body......

*DING*

A notification from Yinyu's phone snapped the boy out of his thoughts and he opened one eye tiredly before closing it. The boy paid no mind to the notification until.....

*DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING*

Yinyu groggily sat up and quickly reached for his glasses on the bedside table next to his single bed. He slipped his glasses on before reaching the bedside lamp and flicked it on. The light immediately drove the darkness away and Yinyu squinted his eyes. He then reached for his phone charging at the far side of the room (refusing to stand up to get his phone because the bed was warm and one slight shift of position will expose the heat). Yinyu stared at his phone lock screen.

Notifications

sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɴ-ɪʀɪsʜ-ᴏʀ-ᴇɴɢʟɪsʜ ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄʀᴇᴇᴘs ᴍᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍʏ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ sɪsᴛᴇʀ: ᕼᗩᑭᑭY ITᕼᗪᗩY YIᑎᗷOY
00:00

sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɴ-ɪʀɪsʜ-ᴏʀ-ᴇɴɢʟɪsʜ ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄʀᴇᴇᴘs ᴍᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍʏ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ sɪsᴛᴇʀ: I OE YO
00:00

sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɴ-ɪʀɪsʜ-ᴏʀ-ᴇɴɢʟɪsʜ ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄʀᴇᴇᴘs ᴍᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍʏ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ sɪsᴛᴇʀ: OE ᗩᑎᗪ GIE E ᔕᗰOOᑕᕼ
00:00

sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɴ-ɪʀɪsʜ-ᴏʀ-ᴇɴɢʟɪsʜ ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄʀᴇᴇᴘs ᴍᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍʏ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ sɪsᴛᴇʀ: I' OIG TO IEᒪᗩᑎᗪ O YO ;)
00:01

Yinyu just stared at the first few notifications before he got the gist of what was happening. It was officially the fifth of May, his birthday. Yinyu decided it was wise to leave the rest of the messages for later, he was too tired to be annoyed right now. Can his birthday get any worse? Yeah. His birthday isn't going to be an enjoyable day since Maria and Lait invited themselves and some Quintessentials over. Fun.

The half shut door to Yinyu's room suddenly creaked open and a dark haired boy shorter than Yinyu slumped in with dark eye bags underneath his tired chocolate eyes. Yinyu's roommate Rien sloppily pulled his gaming headset off of his ears and tossed a messily packaged box to him. "Happy Birthday," he croaked before trudging back into his room. A large thump is heard and Yinyu was pretty sure Rien passed out.

Yinyu stared at the manky-looking rectangle parcel. Yinyu doesn't have to guess what it was because the wrapping was ripped from the bad packaging. It was some boxed snacks. Yinyu fell asleep that night wondering how Rien didn't eat the snacks. Yinyu knew he would eat it all the day it was brought if he gets food for Rien's birthday.

***

It was literally midnight. And why were there a bunch of Quintessentials shopping in an empty shopping centre full of tired employees, fully displayed items and shops blaring music like it's daytime? Lait doesn't know the full answer to that. But she knew the principal of St. Peter's and the student council president Akamai Shi themselves requested, no, ordered the local shopping centre to open for a selected number of Quintessentials to do their shopping today.

"I'M GETTING YINYIN A PROMISE, NO, AN ENGAGEMENT RING!" Maria shouted as soon as Lait and a few Quintessentials strolled into the local shopping centre pass the exhausted security guard. "Oh? What about Gary?" David asked with a raised brow, clearly amused. Gary punched David on the shoulder (Christopher who was hovering behind David silently shot Gary a death glare). Sherry and Alfred talking in the far back with Akamai gave Christopher a cautious look.

"M-Maria that's very kind of you but I'm sure Yinyin will nope away if he ever gets a ring from you," Lait replied hesitantly. Lait knew for sure Aisuki and Casper will be mad if Maria ever pull such a feat. After all, Aisuki and Casper treasures Yinyu dearly like he's the family's pride. He wasn't aware of anything about his sibling being thieves (Otto on the other hand.... He would tell Yinyu to follow his heart and rUN—).

"I'm just kidding! I already got a present ready ages ago~!" Maria winked, "when I first saw it I know it's my destiny to get it for Yinyu." "What is it?" Alfred asked cautiously. "This pair of 18 carat gold rimmed glasses I got for only five hundred quid!" Maria declared proudly, "it's on sale too!" "D-Do you even know what glass prescription Yinyu have?!" Alfred asked in disbelief. Maria immediately frowned.

And so, Lait watched awkwardly as Maria cried in Alfred's shoulders with Sherry patting her back awkwardly (Akamai and David burst out laughing in the background while Gary and Christopher hovered awkwardly behind them). "Don't worry Maria, I'm sure it's fine! Tell me, what are the prescriptions for the glasses?" Lait asked with a nervous laughter.

"It's S+1.5 I think," Maria sniffled, "and a bunch of C and zero point something's." Lait died on the inside, knowing Yinyu cannot wear it. That's five hundred pounds down the drain that could've been donated to charity and given to the poor. That's one rough journey to a random jerk's house as The Angel's Executioner..!

"What should I get him?" Lait pondered loudly, turning away from Maria, "I've been so busy I didn't think much of Yinyin's Birthday... Any suggestions? Where do you guys want to go for buying Yinyin's gifts?" Lait turned to her group of friends, only to be greeted by them pulling out decorative gift bags with neatly wrapped gifts inside in sync from their schoolbags. "Wait, what, when?!" Lait questioned.

"We already have Yinyu's Birthday presents with plans ready ages ago," Gary said as he rolled his eyes, "I got Yinyu's gifts prepared three months ago. As a Quintessential, I know for sure I'd be too busy to leave it last second or something. I'm investigating an interesting case right now that requires no distractions." "Why are you here then?" David asked innocently.

Gary glanced at Maria before looking away. Maria was clinging onto Alfred sobbing and choking out words in German while Alfred can only nod in response and speak in German comfortingly as Sherry continue to rub circles in Maria's back ("Alfred wieso muss das Leben nur so schwer sein?!" Maria choked out, "ich will doch nur in Sonnenblumenfeldern spazieren und mein Dasein genießen, aber nein! Das Leben muss ja so anstrengend und eine einzige Tortur sein!").

Lait visibly shivered. Ah, Lait may be cunning and quick-witted at times but she's definitely a scatterbrained nonetheless. "I see, tonight is going to be tiring..!" Lait said to no one in particular but herself. "Yinyin better be glad with my present after all this!" "What are you going to get him?" David asked. "I don't know, I'll look around the shopping centre I guess! Thank you for accompanying me everyone," Lait said, her calculating brain immediately working on a plan.

***

Rumour has it there was a vintage chess set in the principal's office of St. Peter's. The chessboard itself was a beauty. It was made out of ebony wood embellished skilfully with sterling silver by the Quintessential Carpenter (Lait doesn't know their name or who they are sadly). The chess pieces on the other hand were said to be absolutely stunning. Each chess piece weighs almost a pound because it was made with 16 carat gold and pure silver embedded with diamonds. Even the chess case was said to be a masterpiece: a handcrafted leather case embroidered with stunning visuals. Lait recalled David telling her about that chess set: he played chess against the principal with it once.

Securing the plague doctor mask her beloved mentor had bestowed to her in the past, Lait slowly crept into the shadows of the empty corridors and made her way towards the top floor of the antique castle-like school. The top floors of the school was restricted: only a few students and staff can go up there. Not even Quintessentials or teachers can roam around the area freely.

As Lait quietly head up the swirling stairs of the main castle turret, Lait mentally drew out a plan in her head and what to do. She doesn't know much about the layout of the top floor but she knew where Akamai's dormitory room was. At the top floor, Lait was immediately greeted with a hall full of doors nearly identical to each other: skilfully made and designed. She recognised Akamai's door.

Now which door would lead to the principal's office? Maybe the door opposite of Lait? Yeah, let's try that double doored room. Lait quickly scurried to the double doors and plucked out her escapology set. She took out a long skewer and a bobby pin, knelt down so the doorknob was at eye level and began picking the lock. It took some time: this lock was defiantly not a normal one. But Lait have experience with all kinds of locks. She would be ashamed to call herself Harry Robinson's pupil if she can't even pick customised locks (Harry Robinson told Lait about the Quintessential Locksmith and Escapologist before. Lait wondered where they went after graduating. They are said to be the first 'enquiry Quintessentials').

After hearing a satisfying click, Lait's gloved hands wrapped around the doorknob and opened the door. It let out no creaks and the door opened so fluidly Lait need to praise the carpenter. Lait cautiously crept into the office. The dark eyes behind the plague doctor mask surveyed the office. It was well furnished with multiple bookshelves assembled with glass cupboards and large presses. The office desk was neatly tidied with a comfy looking leather office chair behind it. In front of the office desk was a wooden stool and to the right side of the room was a low glass table with armchairs. The wooden floor was carpeted. Lait wouldn't hesitate to say the room was designed by Quintessentials with furnitures made by Quintessentials. This office was definitely better than some other offices of the rich.

There's not time to admire the layout of the office. Lait have to find the chess set.

The phantom thief went straight to the vintage bookshelves and cupboards to begin her search. She quietly opened a cupboard and looked inside, only to be greeted with the sight of Yearbooks full of former Quintessentials. Lait hesitated. She pulled out a yearbook a few years before Lait came to St. Peter's and opened it.

Lait stared at the picture full of joyful students and Ritchie and Lydie were there, smiling. The Quintessential Student President and Scientist looked happy in the photo: not aware of the dark side of the world full of assassinations, stealing, murdering and blackmailing. Despite knowing it's not her fault, Lait felt responsible for taking away their naivety. If only Lait distanced herself from Ritchie's sister, maybe no one will associate her with Lait.... If only Lait figured out TRAXX's identity earlier and tell Kami to distance herself from her, maybe.... just maybe things will be different.

"Well, what do we have here~?" A voice close to Lait's ear whispered in a teasing manner.

Lait's whole body froze and she quickly threw the yearbook somewhere and pulled out her calligraphy pen. She pressed down pen thruster and it's trustworthy blade sprang out from the tip. Lait spun around and tried to jam the blade into the mysterious person's head. Only to find out they blocked it with ease with a... handgun? The person was a man, no, a teenage boy. "I was expecting a pesky rodent roaming around the principal's office but it turns out to be a thief," the boy said dully, "being the principal's kitten sure is hard."

The dark room was suddenly flooded with dim light and the chandelier above Lait shone down on her softly. Lait immediately backed away towards the door of the office, only to bump into a woman, no, a girl wearing a blouse and a petticoat with her hair in a bun. Despite being night time, the girl looked like she was ready to attend a banquet. Lait leaped back and froze in her tracks.

With light flooding into the room fully, Lait can see who the two mysterious people were. It definitely took Lait by surprise: Justus Cóir and Sabrina An Sona. The Quintessential Solicitor tried to tame his golden blonde hair while giving Lait an intrigued look. "Angel's Executioner. What would a thief do in my principal's office?" "Oh my, what a surprise! I'll notify the principal," Sabrina said with a polite smile and paced out of the door.

Lait remained quiet, refusing to give anything away. Justus stared into Lait's eyes, his light brown eyes boring into her soul. Luckily the plague doctor mask's thick lenses gave no vision of Lait's eyes nor her visage behind the mask. It was foggy on the outside but Lait can see as clear as day wearing it.

"Let's wait until the principal arrives and see how they want to kill you for intruding," Justus said with a wink, "you shouldn't estimate us Quintessentials. Our prez had taught us how to protect ourselves." Lait doesn't want any small talk and waste time. "Move aside or I'll kill you," she threatened, her voice getting filtered from the mask as she spoke. "Try me!" Justus replied, holding up his handgun lazily. "You wouldn't dare to kill an innocent do you?" He asked in a teasing manner, "I am a solicitor. I do great things and guide people to the right path by assisting them to deeds regarding to law. It's not in your code to kill me."

This boy was smart. Lait had said to herself she can threaten people but she should not to kill any innocent. The Cóir brothers were definitely difficult obstacles: it seems things will go their way if you dare to interact with them. Lait remained low. "What do you want from me?" Lait asked. "Nothing. Just waiting to see what the principal wants," Justus shrugged.

As if on cue, the office door opened and the Quintessential Actress strolled in. Sabrina An Sona brushed strands of her ash blonde hair away, stepped to the side and curtsied. In strolled in a person wearing formal attire with a veil. Lait stared at the face of the person, unable to see anything due to the damn veil and the hat they wore. If this really was the principal then the veil they wore must be made by a Quintessential Modiste or something since Lait really can't see who was behind the veil. Justus quickly did a small bow.

The principal surveyed the room before their paused upon seeing a yearbook on the floor. Lait held her breath as they walked towards the yearbook and picked it up. They stared at it. They gently put it on top of the cabinet and their two hands started hovering in the air, with their fingers delicately performing a dance.

'What would the Angel's Executioner want from my office? I refuse to believe they want to see pictures of my lovely sweethearts'.

It immediately struck Lait. BSL. It wasn't the sign language Lait knew inside out but Lait can manage. Lait studied American Sign Language because Mr. Robinson said it was the most wild spread sign language. It also only requires one hand so on missions it'll be easier to use. Lait can literally sign in ASL while killing people whereas BSL needs both hands to sign.

"The principal said—" Justus was immediately cut off by Lait's furious signing. Lait's gloved right hand signed quickly and furiously. She prayed the principal uses ASL. 'Let me leave.' The principal paused before signing with both hands again. 'What do you want in my office other than information on Quintessentials? I doubt a famous thief would steal information.' Lait hesitated. 'A chess set.' 'A chess set?'

The principal turned to Justus and Sabrina before waving their hands dismissively. 'You two did well, thank you. I'll handle things from here. Leave us alone for now.' Justus and Sabrina both shared skeptical looks before bowing and left the office. The double doors clicked behind them.

The principal hovered over to their office desk and pulled out a key. They opened a locked cabinet from the desk and pulled out a leather case embroidered with vintage chess symbols. Lait stared at the leather case, yearning to hold it in her hands. 'Why would you want this chess set?' The principal signed as they placed it on the floor. "As a birthday present..." Lait mumbled under her breath. The principal perked their head. 'As a birthday present?' They signed.

Lait blinked. "You can hear me?!" 'Yes I can. I am aphonic, I can't speak,' they signed. "I see. Well, I want the chess set because someone's birthday is taking place tomorrow. He is very important to me. He likes to play chess and I figured I might as well use my skills to steal the most fancy chess set I know." Lait explained. The principal hesitated. 'I see, he must be very important to you to steal it from me. You know the risks of getting caught right?' The principal signed, 'all of my Quintessentials shouldn't be underestimated. Many of them are capable of taking down at least two grown men before going down'.

"I am fully aware of the risks of getting caught and having my identity exposed," Lait said, "however I am out of time. I need that chess set...! No other gifts can suffice! I know I am scatterbrained and bad with time management but I need to make his birthday special... just a tiny bit." Lait immediately thought of Maria spending five hundred pounds on a mere birthday present for Yinyu.

"All of my friends who know him is buying him costly gifts I can't find myself affording nor buying. They aren't even that close with him so why are they getting such thoughtful and valuable gifts?! I know him for all my life while I'm here without anything valuable to give...." Lait trailed off, "love and support isn't enough, it really isn't. I want to show him I care about him before it's too late. After all, I can die any day at any time: each day can be my last."

'I see... Here, take it.'

Lait stared at the principal in disbelief. They slid the leather case towards Lait. It landed by her feet. Lait slowly picked it up and opened it. It was just like what David told her: it was truly a beautiful chess set, absolutely splendid. "Thank you," Lait breathed, "I'm sorry for being so selfish."

'Don't worry about it. You are a good person. Helping the poor and giving them hope is truly a wonderful thing. It's exactly what Quintessentials were told do. However most of them forgot about that message and sees their title as something that makes them greater than others,' the principal signed, 'I need to move on. Perhaps giving that chess set is the best for me too.'

Lait gave the principal a look. "What do you mean?" She asked. The principal gracefully headed for the cabinets and pulled out a really old year book. They flickered though the pages before putting it down and began signing again.

'That chess set was a gift to me. It was made by my very first class of Quintessentials when I first founded this school. They designed and crafted it together. On their graduation day, they gifted me with this blissful masterpiece.' They signed, 'back then the world wouldn't accept the Quintessentials are the best at what they do. It was until Akamai Shi joined this school when people changed their minds. This school was called Todhchaí Academy at the time, before Dal brought this school and renamed it to St. Peter's and..... It's the only thing that remained from Todhchaí Academy in my possession.'

Lait looked down at the valuable chess set in her hands. "I'm sorry," she whispered. 'Don't be. Go on, it's time for you to leave. You have a birthday to attend. It's nearly dawn. You don't want people to see you roaming around in daylight do you Angel's Executioner?' The principal signed.

They walked towards the gothic styled window and opened it, looking around and surveyed their surroundings. The breaking dawn was breathtaking. The principal turned to Lait with the sunrise shining behind them. 'I bid you farewell. It is a pleasure to meet you and talk with you in person,' they signed. "Same here, thank you," Lait murmured before she secured her mask and tightened her grip on the leather case.

With that, Lait hopped out of the window gracefully and bid the principal farewell. With the help of the flying buttresses, colonnades, statues and carvings of the castle-like school, Lait made it to her dormitory window with ease. Lait took off her mask and peered inside cautiously through the satin curtains. Maria was sleeping soundly while cradling a gift bag with a wrapped box sticking out. Gaela was nowhere to be seen. She was probably on a mission.

Lait cautiously opened the unlocked window and stepped inside, careful not to wake Maria up. She quickly slid the leather case under her bed before changing into her casual attire. Lait checked the time. "Marii wake up," Lait said gently, "it's time for us to catch our flight."

***

Yinyu wasn't happy with the amount of people who showed up at his peaceful apartment that day. Yinyu sighed and stepped aside, opening the door a bit wider. "Come in," he grunted. Maria Reginheraht immediately bounded into the dormitory and gave the taller boy a big warm hug as she screamed into his ears. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY YINBOY WE LOVE YOU! COME AND GIVE ME A SMOOCH!" Yinyu immediately pushed the investigator off of him.

Everyone soon followed, strolling inside and giving Yinyu birthday blessings and pat on the backs. Lait walked into the apartment with a leather case of some sort and gave Yinyu a nod. "You are now officially one year closer to death. Congratulations." Lait acknowledged. Yinyu gave his sister a weird look.

"Hey everyone it's been a while!" Rien popped his head out from the kitchen and waved with a grin, "it's nice to see you all again!" "Oh? Isn't Ritchie coming today?" David asked. "He got work to do. He sent Yinyin money on PayPal or something and hisblessings though." "If that's the case then who made food today?" Alfred asked cautiously. "Well, about that—"

"Casper, this is uncooked. Let me handle it. I will show you how it's done."
"Aisuki. I cannot let you handle it all. It is Yinyu's birthday and it has to be of a high standard. On your first attempt baking a cake you used starch instead of flour and salt instead of sugar. Shall I take over?"
"Try me Hvítur."
"Of course Winter."
"Aisuki, Casper! Please calm down—"
"Otto you stay out of this."

Two white haired people walked out of the kitchen, glaring at each other; one in a long ponytail with aqua blue ends and the other in an Icelandic sweater. A cocoa skinned boy followed close behind carrying a tray of doughnuts.

Aisuki and Casper paused upon seeing the guests. "Hello," Casper acknowledged, "thank you for your time to come visit Yinyu." And so, everyone exchanged their greetings. Otto's black-blue eyes brightened up. "Hello! Thank you for coming today," he chimed.

If Yinyu had to be honest, his birthday wasn't that bad really. No ones too annoying to deal with and 'Happy Birthday' was sung beautifully. Maria's melodic singing definitely outshone the rest. To top it off, the cake was good (Aisuki was very proud of her cake when Yinyu said he liked it).

It wasn't long before Yinyu moved onto the presents, opening one box at a time with everyone staring eagerly for a reaction.

Yinyu stared at the luxurious gold rimmed glasses in his hands blankly. He hesitantly wore it, only to take it off quickly. "I can't wear it. Sorry," Yinyu sighed. Maria began tearing up. "Erm, however I do appreciate the thought behind it so... thank you." Yinyu said quickly. And so, the boy awkwardly pushed the golden glasses aside and moved onto a small jewellery box. He opened it.

"What's... this?" Yinyu asked, dangling a silver necklace with a circle and two lines like horns. "Happy Birthday. May the stars and the moon smile upon your day of birth," Sherry began, her beautiful blue-green eyes twinkling like the stars themselves. "The stars told me this year Tauruses would like confectionary, jewellery, plants such as cacti or cameras. Please accept my platinum necklace with a Taurus symbol as a gift. I apologise - other gifts are too boring for such an alluring individual like yourself." "How er, nice..." Yinyu trailed off uncertainly. "I hope buying this...... necklace didn't bother you too much Miss Quintessential Coroner."

"Worry not Taurus," Sherry said as she took out her astrolabe and meddled with it. "You see, I need to thank the stars. They told me your lucky numbers for this month are 28, 10 and 14. And so, I brought that for £2,810.14. It's not much but I hope you like it." "I-I'll gladly accept it, thank you." Yinyu said, quickly pulling out the receipt in the jewellery box to take a look. The numbers were bold and clear: £2,810.14 payed with a credit card.

To put it bluntly, Yinyu got strange and costly gifts from Quintessentials. A Parker pen from Gary, an expensive chess clock (used for Blitz Chess etc.) from David and Christopher and finally... a framed picture of himself from Akamai? Yinyu shivered upon receiving the picture of him sleeping soundly (Casper held back an Aisuki who looked like she's ready to murder Akamai).

Moving onto the next gift, it was a Pichu plush. "Finally a normal present," Yinyu exclaimed, "oh it's from Alfred. Thank you for being the only sane person here." "Gomen, it's nothing much," Alfred said shyly, "I heard from Lait you like Pichu so I need to get this for you. It's not much." "It's fine," Yinyu said as he buried his face into the plush, "thank you." He lazily stared at the product label. It was in a foreign language, full of symbols and strokes. Yinyu paused. He turned his head to Alfred.

The blonde polyglot just blushed in response. "听我说,I don't know what I should get you..." Alfred began, "and I remembered Lait saying you like anime and something about Pichu when playing games so I went to Japan to get you some anime merchandise..! Comme vous pouvez le voir, I'm out of funds. All I can get is a Pichu plush. 音羽 fyrirgefðu." Yinyu let out a disappointed sigh. Even as the sanest person next to Yinyu himself, Alfred Tenjin is still a Quintessential. Who in the right mind would travel across the world for a simple birthday gift? Quintessentials, that's who.

"I see, thank you." Yinyu said, "now onto the last present..... I'm concerned." Lait heaved up a giant leather case on the table and gave Yinyu an offended look. "What is this?" Yinyu asked curiously. "Your present! Open it Yinyin, come on!" Lait smiled. Yinyu obeyed and took a deep breath. He opened the case slowly.

Inside laid the most beautiful chess set Yinyu had ever set his eyes on. The pieces were made out of silver, gold and diamonds. The thirty two chess pieces were put neatly in a row. Everyone huddled around Yinyu and stared at the blissful chess set, all in awe. "This is..." David trailed off. He tensed up. Aisuki and Casper stared at the chess set and stared at Lait. They seemed to figure out how Lait got Yinyu's present. "No. I cannot accept this. No way. Nope." Yinyu shut the case close quickly and pushed it towards Lait. "Take this thing away. I don't want it."

It was that very moment Yinyu's heart died a bit once he saw the look on his dear sister's face. An expression of remorse, confusion and pain tinted with something else clouded behind Lait's eyes. The Quintessential Writer's mouth was agape and she was about to say something until she shut her mouth and let out a big sigh after a shaky breath. "I see. If that's what you want then I will do exactly that."

Lait wrapped her hands around the handle of the case and gave it a tug. The chess set was heavy but she can still lift it with ease. Sherry contemplated Lait before she spoke up in the unwavering silence. "Yinyu," Sherry started, "why wouldn't you accept such a wonderful gift? The Stars want to hear what you have to say about all of this. Lait spent a lot of time and effort to get that gift for you. Capricorn is very hard working and strive for the very best. The stars told me about it all. Nothing can escape from the eyes of the Heavens after all. Are you going to chuck Lait's efforts down the drain?"

Yinyu looked at his sister. Lait seems taken aback but she spoke out too soon. "S-Sherry..! Don't worry, it doesn't bother me too much! It's completely fine for Yinyin to turn down my present." Lait gave Yinyu, Aisuki and Casper a reassuring smile before looking at Sherry, "I wouldn't say I worked hard enough for you to praise me Sherry!"

"You're doing it again. Hiding your emotions."

Sherry and Yinyu both shared a look having them to say something in sync. The coroner with blondish ashen brown hair gave Yinyu a nod. "Hey you stupid cow. Stop hiding your emotions from everyone," Yinyu said harshly, "stop pretending everything's okay when it isn't. If you're hurt then tell me. You make me worried more if you don't tell me anything and shoulder all the negativity yourself. You spent a lot of effort buying me that chess set didn't you? Why would you get such an expensive gift for me?!"

Lait seemed to be taken aback by Yinyu's words before she spoke up. Her mysterious dark eyes finally showing some emotion. The fog in her eyes was clearing up just a bit.

"I see... I feel quite pressured actually," Lait admitted, "compared to everyone, I'm nothing like a Quintessential. Take a look Yinyu: nearly everyone around you is a Quintessential and they got you thoughtful and wonderful gifts I can't find myself getting. It doesn't help that I'm your sister and I need to get you something that surpass gifts of my friends. I treasure you very much and my love and appreciation just isn't enough." Lait gave her little brother a forlorn smile. "I guess I'm not fit to be a good older sister huh," she chuckled.

"You stupid idiot what were you thinking?!" Yinyu's hands instinctively gripped onto Lait's shoulders as he glared at his sister. "You don't have to get me any expensive stuff. I'm not fond of them anyways. You already did so much for me." Yinyu looked away hesitantly as his grip loosened. "...Ever since sir died, you, Aisuki, Casper and Otto had been supporting this family financially. I can only sit back and watch as you all go work in night shifts. Lait, you don't have to give me anything for my birthday. Nothing I do can surpass what you, Otto, Aisuki and Casper did for me. For my birthday you don't have to do anything really. Just being here is more than enough."

Yinyu hesitantly wrapped his arms around Lait who was taken aback and snuggled into her shoulders, giving her sister a warm embrace. "You stupid idiot..." he mumbled. Everyone in the room treasured the moment. It was a first time for many to see Yinyu being affectionate.

Yinyu gave Aisuki, Otto and Casper (who were all stunned into utter silence) a glance. Yinyu opened an arm invitingly. "Come and join me idiots," he said bashfully. Aisuki, Casper and Otto all went to give the two Yi siblings a hug. "I wish Shauna and Lucina was here..." Lait whispered, "they need this hug too."

The children taken in by Mr. Robinson shared a group hug for once. Yinyu loosened up. It's warm and comforting. It was as if the invisible gap between him and his other siblings had disappeared for just a second or two. All those years, there was always a barrier between Yinyu and his siblings. It was as if Aisuki, Otto, Casper and Lait all shared a secret that made them share this connection Yinyu can't find himself having. He was the outcast of Harry Robinson's (adopted?) children. This was the first time he felt like he was one of them.... Yinyu finally let go along with everyone else before they all stepped back, leaving Lait on her own.

"Listen Lait. I don't want any expensive gifts or anything stupid. You, Otto, Aisuki and Casper already done so much for me. Don't ever get me expensive things ever again." Yinyu said strictly. He then looked at his other siblings.

"And you guys too. Don't hide secrets from me. I don't want to be left out. If there is anything just say it to me. We're family." As expected, Lait and Yinyu's other siblings shared a look that was completely indescribable. "We'll tell you when it's time," Otto finally spoke up with a firm nod, "most definitely." Lait nodded, "I agree with Otto. But Yinyin, do you accept my gift?" "...Just this once. You worked hard for it." Yinyu replied, "thank you. Thank you so so much. I love you." Yinyu sighed, a bit flustered.

"Now that I finished dealing with my stupid sister...... Guys wanna play some Super Smash Bros together?" Yinyu asked, gesturing at the gaming TV in the living room. The quiet room's atmosphere suddenly changed as all the people nodded. The Quintessentials began chattering excitedly amongst themselves, settling in the living room and getting controllers.

That day Yinyu completely forgot about some people in his apartment being Quintessentials or notm. If you're good at solving mysteries, it wouldn't help you play fighting games. No one really had an advantage really. Having to play games with so many people had never been so entertaining and it's been a while since Yinyu enjoyed himself.

A really small smile crept up Yinyu's face as he knocked Rien into the abyss in Super Smash Bros (ignoring Rien's frustrated screams and everyone's teasing and shouting as the players continued their intense battle. Sherry was absolutely killin' it much to Alfred's surprise. Akamai seems she've never been so proud).

"...Maybe my Birthday isn't so bad after all."

***

Yinyu sat in the kitchen stool in total darkness in silence, staring at the golden queen piece in his hand before looking at the chessboard and the rest of its pieces laying in the case. How expensive was this chess set? It looked like it costed thousands if not millions. Where did Lait get this? How did she get it?

Yinyu knew Lait is a Quintessential therefore she earns more money than successful authors with her job but this doesn't add up. Every month Lait sent half of her income to Yinyu to support himself, a tenth of her income to the orphanage Mr. Robinson grew up in and a fifth of her income to Aisuki, Casper and Otto. In the end she doesn't have much for herself which kinda explains her stinginess (at least that's what Yinyu thinks).

"Sup Yin, what are you doing here? Mind if I sit beside you?" A familiar voice asked. Yinyu turned his head to the Quintessential Chessman. David Moon stood behind Yinyu. Intense shouting in the living room faded away as Yinyu stared into David's eyes. He have eyes like his sister: dark and lovely with untold secrets hidden behind the fog in those eyes.

"Nothing really. I'm just thinking how much this chess set costs. I feel like my poor broke hands might dirty it," Yinyu replied, "it seems more like something you would have." Yinyu patted the stool next to him and David sat down. David laughed. "Nope. I am too poor to touch that chess set too. I'm surprised Lait got it. You see, it's a very valuable chess set," David said, "I played with this set once. It was a really memorable match." Yinyu perked up his head. "With who?" "Don't mind that, that's not important." David said dismissively.

"Hey Yin, while we're here wanna have a Blitz or Rapid Play match?" David asked with a wink, "it's time to test out the chess clock with Lait's chess set! Worry not - if you loose this time Lait wouldn't have to buy me lunch since it's your birthday today. Heh, I'm such a nice person." "Fine. Thank you," Yinyu said before he started setting up the chessboard. David meddled with the vintage chess clock with a carefree smile.

It wasn't for long before Yinyu and David got ready and dived straight into the chess game. Yinyu was the dark golden pieces and David was the silver pieces. "Blitz?" David asked. "Blitz." Yinyu affirmed. And so, Yinyu pressed down on David's button to the chess clock and immediately David's calculating brain went to work. The timer began.

David quickly moved out the King's Pawn and Yinyu paused the clock. He made his move next with David repeating what Yinyu did with the chess clock. Blitz was a game mode that revolves around time. The two players only have five minutes in total to move their pieces and try to win. The less time you waste the better.

After a few moves David spoke up. "You've improved I see Yin," David smirked, "I don't think you can get me into an Interference so soon." "I'm glad. You see, Rien told me about your tactics," Yinyu replied, "you learned chess from Rien's sister so I studied how she played chess. She always moves her king's pawn first. She will proceed to move the white bishop out to C4 or D3 depending on what strategy or who she plays against. She will then move out her knight to F3 and the rest is history."

A bone chilling shiver crept down Yinyu's spine as he tapped on David's clock button. David just stared at the pieces as if he was lost in the depths of his thoughts. A few seconds had passed. "David?" Yinyu asked uncertainly as he stopped the timer, "David??" The chessman's eyes were darker than ever and more foggy than before. Yinyu hesitantly placed a hand on his shoulder.

David suddenly jerked his head up from the sudden physical contact and snapped his head to Yinyu. Yinyu saw what the thick fog behind David's eyes hid for the first time. David's eyes widened in insanity and bloodlust as it expressed David's inner turmoil. It was as if Yinyu was staring into the eyes of a vain person who manipulated others for their own gain. Those brown eyes held so much broken memories from the past that were close to disappearing from the mind of the chessman. For once Yinyu felt fear around David. Yinyu wanted to look away but those eyes were really pretty, almost like his sister's....

"David. You got a call."

Both Yinyu and David snapped out of their trance and David turned his head to the person by the door. It was Christopher Lecky. The mist in David's eyes returned as quickly as it disappeared. "Oh sure Chris who is it from?" David asked. "It's from the principal. Justus said they wish for your company. Head back immediately. Let's go." David frowned. "Sorry Yinyu, we'll play some other day." David said quietly as he stood up.

A pang of disappointment smacked Yinyu in the face. "I see. Bye David," Yinyu said, "teach me her strategies someday." "...Bye Yin, see you soon. Someday hopefully yeah." With that, David flashed Yinyu a smile and himself and Christopher quietly went for the door. They talked in whispers before waving goodbye and left the apartment.

"...." Yinyu recalled those mysterious eyes of David's and remembered Lait's eyes. They were similar in some way but Yinyu don't know why. "Whatever, it doesn't matter." Yinyu said to himself before heading inside the living room. Everyone seemed to be concentrated on the game displayed on the TV screen. Yinyu paid no mind to it as he looked over at Lait, Otto, Casper and Aisuki. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.

"I hope there will be a time where we won't hide secrets from each other... For now I just have to be patient and wait."

A/N: 5th of May HKT aka UTC+8~!

Happy Birthday Yinyin :D If you're reading this (which is unlikely but I think an angel which you consider a stupid idiot will force you to read this..! Well, maybe?) then I wish you the very best and good fortune in the future~!

I hope you all enjoy reading this ^^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.7K 1.4K 32
Have you ever believed in something to be truly right so much that you knew it could never be wrong? When that view conflicts greatly with your previ...
161K 3.3K 34
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...
20.3K 521 23
( So this is my first real book so don't judge. Kinda cliché so there I warned you. Starting to slowly edit and change a few things. Okay A LOT of th...
114K 3.6K 21
Assassination Classroom x Reader x BSD [Status: Discontinued] Updates: --- A story where-in the Armed Detective Agency gets a Request from the Minist...