Mixed Signals.

By _WishfulColours_

***12/08/19*** Finally published the final chapter! It's an emotional one so bring some tissues! What would... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46. - 'A Dark Day.'
47. 'A Dark Day. Part 2.'
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
106.
107.
108.
109.
110.
111.
112.
113.
114.
116.
117.
118.
119.
120.
121.
122.
123.
124.
125.
126.
127.
128.

115.

125 1 0
By _WishfulColours_

Today went as well as a funeral could go. Jay was by myside all day. But because I didn't have a wonderful relationship with my mother I wasn't completely heartbroken but it really upset me. Jay stayed with me, he held my hand the entire day and he did everything he could to make sure I was okay.

"Where you off to?" He smiled kissing my cheek.

"Need some air, I'll be back in like an hour." I smiled.

"Okay then my lovely." He smiled as I grabbed my keys and headed off out to the district. I knew what I was doing, I had this all planned out. I found the photo file and I headed to the place he'd told me to meet him. The roof of the multi story in downtown Chicago. I parked up opposite the entrance and just looked the building up and down. I saw his car on the top floor. I locked the car and took the stairs to the top floor.

"Oh Erin you came." He smiled.

"I did. I told you I'd come and meet you. How are you?" I smiled, I was trying so hard to not to cry and flip out on him because of mum but I stayed calm. I knew what I had to do.

"I'm wonderful. How are you holding up? Losing your mum must of been hard."

"I'm okay. I've just left the funeral wake to come and see you so tell me what's going on now? Why are we here?" He laughed. "Come and join me." I stood next to him next to the edge of the building. We were watching the traffic and the stars whilst we spoke. I showed him the case file.

"So what's happening now?"

"I've forged the paperwork so they don't know that it's you who killed my mum." I sighed.

"Everyone knows it was you."

"Yeah well I'm working on it. I'm making it non suspicious. I'll make it a suicide." I put the case study down on the side of the concrete next to me and he stood up right onto the edge. "What are you doing Macey?"

"No one can arrest me if I'm dead." He laughed.

"Don't you dare. After everything you've put me through." I sighed. I climbed up next to him and without even thinking for another second I grabbed the cuffs out my pocket and put one handcuff on his wrist and the other on mine.

**

"Jay we've got a call." Kim sighed as she come over with Hank and Kevin.

"Why what's going on?"

"Possible suicide attempt on the 24th car park multi story." We all left the hall together and split up between us, I got in the car with Kim. Hank went with Kevin and we all headed to the multi story. As soon as we got out the cars I looked around and realised what was going on.

"One of ours." I sighed pointing to the car. "Erin's car." Just as the fire engines and ambulances pulled up, police were on crowd control. I went to enter the car park when Hank stopped me.

"We stay down here, we speak and plan because there's someone up there with her." He sighed.

"Macey. That's Macey." Kim come running back over. "She's handcuffed to Macey."

I was instantly panicked. Panic was the thing that hit me first, it was awful. I didn't know what to do. She was 20 weeks pregnant yet here she was standing on top of a building.  I was told to sit back and watch what happened. Everyone was in a panicky state and trying to cooperate with Macey.

"Let me get up there. I'll stay back. But let me talk to Erin. Let me tell her I love her. It's her mum's funeral and now she's so close to this edge of this building. Let me tell my wife I love her one more time Hank please?" I sighed.

"Fine. But you stay back and you listen to Macey. Do whatever he tells you to do otherwise we could be dealing with 2 fatalities and I don't really want that." He sighed. I put on a bulletproof and ran upstairs. All 10 flights of stairs and I felt dead but I finally got onto the top floor and I stayed back.

"Hey Macey? What's going on?"

"Stay back Jay. Please stay back..." He sighed.

"Talk to me then. Look we know what you've done. We can't arrest you if you are dead we know that but we can pull you down and talk to you if you just come down. You are holding my pregnant wife... the girl you once bought up for a few years Richard. You killed her mum? Let her go."

"No. Jay you don't understand. She's better off not in this world." I just watched as he held her arm and she shook standing next to him. She was facing me but he wasn't. She was terrified. I smiled at her but she was just looking at me.

"Can I say something?" She coughed. Macey just nodded and looked down.

"Jay I love you. I know we've been through some shit but I love you more than anyone I've ever met before, and our children? Tell them I love them, Mummy's sorry for everything. I hope to see them soon.." She cried.

"Macey listen to her. She's got children, a family? She's far too young to die.. trust me you don't want to do this.." I sighed edging closer.  "If you let anything happen to her I will personally make sure you survive this and I will make your life a living hell."

"Jay I'm sorry but she chose to handcuff herself to me."

"To save your fucking life Macey!" She shouted. He got agitated and as he turned to face her it was like watching slow motion his foot slipped off the edge and he lost his balance. I looked at her as I ran towards her, her face in complete shock, tears falling as she screamed. Her pale body flew backwards off the roof top alongside Macey. I ran to the edge, the swat team behind me. The noise it made when they hit the ground was something I'd never forget.

**

No body knew what to do. The fire and ambulance crew ran in to treat them both but it didn't look good. CPR being performed on Macey, none on Erin. I ran over but Hank grabbed me.

"Give them space to work Jay."

"That's my fucking wife. It's Erin. He slipped and she went down with him. She went with him. What's going on.. is she okay?"

"Jay stop. Breathe, calm down." He sighed. They didn't even move her for a solid 15 minutes until she was strapped securely onto a stretcher. "I'll take the kids tonight. You with Erin please." He smiled as I ran to the ambulance and Gabby let me hop onto the back.

"Is she...?"

"Critical, code red, possible DOA. She needs a lot of treatment and assistance like now Jay."

"Baby?"

"No clue. Because we highly doubt there is any survival rates from falling 10 floors. Doesn't look like Macey's made it so without being negative I wouldn't get your hopes up." She squeezed my hand.

**

Dr Rhodes - just before the arrival of Lindsay and Macey.

"We've got a code red coming in. 2 people, 1 PO and 1 criminal. Fell from a 10th floor on the multi story car park. 2 trauma teams, Will take the male, I'll take the female. Get 2 beds sorted down here and we will work down here. Make sure theatre is free because we need these. Glove up, get sorted and as soon as they arrive we will work. The ambulance's were getting closer so we all ran out to the front and I went over to Gabby's ambulance where Jay hopped out first.

"Erin Lindsay, female, 20 weeks pregnant, fallen from 10th floor of a multi story, was handcuffed to the offender. No signs of life, no vitals, no brain activity, CPR has been in progress for 14 minutes."

"Richard Macey, 45, fell from the 10th floor of the multi story car park, taken the PO with him, no heart beat, no brain activity, CPR has been in progress for 22 minutes."

I followed Gabby into the trauma room where April, Ethan and Dr Becker were waiting. Will had Natalie and 2 others in with him and the male. Gabby stood outside with Jay.

"I'll continue CPR, someone get 2 bags of blood, ultrasound to check for baby, and internal damage, looks like we've got trauma to head, back and left leg." I began CPR, I knew there was little chance of this working. With the extent of these injuries it was lucky she was still in 1 piece. Both myself and the entire team were covered in blood from trying to stop the blood, she was bleeding internally from the looks of the bruising on her side and lower abdomen. April got her on the blood as Ethan and Dr Latham come in to see if he could help anyway.

"Ava come here." I smiled at Dr Becker. "She has a collapsed lung on this side I can feel it. Whilst I continue on with CPR can you get under my arms and re inflate her lung?"

"I sure can." She smiled getting her equipment and kneeling below me to do it. "Dr Rhodes she needs a drain equipped as well?"

"Go for it, do whatever you can to ensure she makes it." I sighed.

"Connor just had news that Richard Macey has been taken up into surgery 2 so if you need it theatre 1 is free?" Dr Latham called from the door.

"Yeah we'll be up when she's stable." I sighed beginning another round of CPR.

"Connor I don't think her body can take another round of CPR."

"It has been scientifically and medically proven that over 30 minutes of CPR gets the heart working again. Once I've finished this cycle get her on the pads and shock her heart."

**

They began getting ready to bring her out so I stood back and as they did I'd never seen anything so scary, she was ridden in blood, practically soaked. She had wires everything.

"Connor.."

"She's barely stable. We are going to surgery. You are able to wait outside the theatre if you want.." He sighed as they took her into the lift and that was it. I looked into the room and saw the blood on the floor, the clothes that had been cut off, the tools and instruments that had been chucked around the room.

"She's strong.." Gabby whispered.

"Yeah there's a difference between strong when she's been shot at work, but she put herself out there to meet Richard Macey, the day of her mum's funeral and now she's barely, like barely alive as she's being rushed into surgery after falling from 10 floors. Everyone seems to think she got herself into this situation but just you wait. I'm going to a board, mistreatment and misconduct of a DI officer. Hank will go down." I sighed walking off to take the stairs to get to the theatre.

***

Dr Rhodes with Dr Becker in theatre.

"There is something we are missing because look at her bruising. What's it from?"

"It's got to be internal. What's the fast scanner showing?"

"No signs of foetal heartbeat.." I sighed.

"It's that. The bruising is from the trauma of a miscarriage.."

"Wonder fucking full. Now we've got to add miscarriage to the list of things we have to tell Jay.." I shouted as I threw the scanner down and we continued on with stabilizing the bone that was causing the pressure build up. From the fall her left leg was shattered. The bone was causing the veins and arteries to be under a lot of stress which was making her heart become unstable even after we got it beating again.

"Connor Jay's asking how is she doing?" Dr Latham smiled through the glass screen as he observed us.

"She's stable, just tell her that. Myself and Ava will do the rest." I sighed. He nodded and left again. Ava just looked at me.

"What's your deal? You always take Erin when she's admitted."

"Yeah I'm close to Erin.." I sighed.

"How close we talking? Like mutual friends.."

"She was the first person I really loved I guess. We were close and then she got with Jay. Like we weren't dating but I liked her. But I'd always look out for her, I've always cared for her as well. I'd be devastated if anything happened. Will is a bit to close to treat her so I'm the next best person and if I treat her I know she'll be okay." I smiled.

"You loved her?"

"You could say love I guess. I mean she was the first person I kissed." I laughed.

"SAT's are dropping. Heartrate has slowed and palpitations.."

"Put her on ECMO." I sighed.

"No Connor. She can't go on ECMO. If you put her on it I doubt she'll come off it. It'll be like a ticking time bomb.."

"Ava I have no choice. Her heart and lungs aren't strong enough to be independent again."

"Not right no but we can help to improve them. Things would be okay. But if you put her on ECMO you are basically waiting to kill her." She shouted at me.

"ECMO." I told the technician. He nodded and began transferring her over to ECMO. "Bring her down to the ward when she's finished." I walked out in front of Ava and prepared myself to tell Jay. The hardest bit was going to be telling him not only did he lose his baby but he may be losing his wife. I understood what Ava was saying by putting her on ECMO she might not come off it but it was better than not doing anything and just letting her die.

**

I paced the room before Connor and Ava come in. She sat down and he come over to me and gave me a hug.

"Jay take a seat." He smiled. So I did. I sat opposite them both. I already decided the best thing to do was think positive. Florence and Harvey. I needed to stay strong for them both because they needed me, they needed a parent and without Erin I wasn't sure how good I'd be at all of this.

"I'm going to be honest she fell from 10 floors. I'm not sugar coating it, the injuries are bad. We've just spent nearly 3 hours trying to get her into a stable condition. She's not stable, she's barely hanging on. I've actually put her on ECMO. ECMO is what we put someone on when their lungs and heart aren't able to function properly by themselves, there is a very chance that she may not come off ECMO if she actually survives anyway."

"Did you know the risks of ECMO when you put her on it?" I sighed.

"Yes I did but we had no choice. If we had left her on the operating table just there she would of died. She isn't far from dying right now Jay. She needs my treatment, between myself and Ava we have the medical knowledge and experience to help Erin. She has shattered her left leg, her back has suffered trauma and we are currently concerned about the state of her spinal cord but we can't do anything until she has become stable for a solid 6 hours. Also I'm really sorry but the scan showed no sign of a heartbeat or life so the trauma of the fall caused a miscarriage which is part of the bleeding. We are doing all we can to ensure Erin makes it through but I'm not really sure what else we can do. The only thing I will say is you can sit with her and speak to her but she can't respond. She's on life support and ECMO." He sighed looking down.

"I'll go down to see her.." I said as I got up like a zombie and just went into the ICU. Ava followed me down there and stood with me at the door.

"She can hear you.." She smiled.

"Okay that's good. Can I bring the kids with me tomorrow?"

"Jay I'd suggest you bring the children tonight because we aren't sure she'll make it through tonight..." She sighed.

"Okay.. I'll get my mum to do it later then.." I smiled.

"I'll be out here doing paperwork if you need me okay." She smiled giving me a hug and leaving me at the door. I looked to the side and Connor was stood there, he looked at me but I looked down and he walked away.

**

By the time someone had told me what was going on I'd already gone with Hank and was sat in the waiting room now with Harvey on my lap.

"Jay said you can go in." He smiled at me.

"Shall I take Harvey?"

"He said yes so do you know where you are going yeah?" He smiled. I nodded and took Harvey's hand, he was crying because he was tearful about what was going to happen to mum. I got to the door and we went in. Dad was sat next to her in the armchair and he held her hand. Then he smiled at me. Harvey ran up to him and hugged him. I stood at the edge of the bed and just looked at mum. She was in a right state, proper strapped to the bed, 3 across straps, legs, arms and tummy.

"What's wrong with her? Why is she strapped to the bed like a mental patient? This isn't what she is, she's not crazy.."

"She's strapped to the bed because she's poorly.."

"What about the baby?"

"She lost the baby.." He sighed.

"Oh.." I tried my hardest not to cry, I bit my lip, I squeezed my eyes. I just wanted to break down but I knew I couldn't. I just went and sat on the window ledge watching mum, she was really bruised and had lots of tubes and wires around her. She was on several machines which I thought maybe were just to help her but after looking around more they were keeping her alive and it was the same machine that was around when Dad was ill before, if they turned it off then mum would die. I wasn't stupid I knew what was going on around me and I could feel how everyone was feeling as well.

**

It was horrible because Harvey was to young to understand really but Florence understood it all and she was upset by it. Natalie was nice enough to help out. She took them to get food and everything because Hank needed to speak to me.

"How you holding up?" He smiled.

"Not good at all.. It's terrifying. I'm scared.."

"Scared?"

"Scared of losing her. I'm terrified of losing her. I can't raise 2 children. She lost the baby, she has no brain activity right now, well she has a little bit.."

"Macey is dead. That's a plus side, he can't hurt her again.."

"It's a pity because if I could of got my hands on him he would of been fucking dead!" I shouted. Everyone thought it would be best for me to go home so I took the kids and went home. Apparently Erin needed some tests done anyway which gave me chance to shower and sort myself out and help to get the kids sorted for dinner and everything. The main thing that scared me was the fact I could get a phone call at any time telling me my wife has died and I didn't want that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.9K 377 60
A story from the beginning linstead and what it would be like if Erin hadn't left chicago. Se você não fala fala inglês veja a original em português...
8.1K 144 4
A four part story based on an Anon prompt from tumblr "I hope you're taking linstead prompts: Jay finds out Erin is pregnant before she does :-/ I'd...
Copnapped By jen

Fanfiction

28K 624 45
When your life is hanging in the balance, you realise exactly what's important to you. When Erin and Jay are kidnapped, they can only begin to imagin...
5.9K 160 37
This is based a year after Erin left! What's happening with Jay Halstead? And what about Erin? And if she returns what happens to this phenomenal lov...