Better together (a clace fan...

By little_squirrel_234

Jace mysteriously is found dead at the entrance to the institute. Clary is so upset. What happens when he mys... More

Characters
This cant be happening
Feeling better
First day back to school
The institute
Grant
The day it happened
The greenhouse
Takis
School
The fashion show
A big suprise
The calls
A very busy day
Payback
The trip
Telling everyone
Girls night
A day with jace
Leaving for Italy
Italy
Prank wars
The next day
Dreams and Promises
Moving day
The note
Feeling sick
I hate the flu
Where am I?
I need you
The rescue
Recovery
What do I do?
a new friend
Some huge news and of course
Dress shopping
The beach
A day at the beach
Clary's day
A wedding problem
The wedding
The honeymoon
Herondale manor
Back to New York
He wants me back?
The castle
Coronation day
The missing cup and sword
The faerie court
Telling some big news
Questions
The letters
Whats it gonna be?
Shadowhunter academy
Picking out the nursery
How?
Please jem?
Who did this?
2 days
Running out of time
I'm coming Clary
A sleeping clary
Waking up
Going Back to New York
A disney marathon!
She's coming
The bet
A surprise
New and old aquaintances
The truth comes out
A werewolf problem
Poor Wolves
A wolf prison
The auction
A plan
A visitor
The interview and photo shoot
The Jace Journal
Going back to the castle
In the begining
Go home!
Ignored
Logans birthday
Jerk
Looking for clary
Lightwood family dinner
Sneak peak
Protect her
Vacation
Graces announcement party
Grace leaves
It hurts
Parabatai
The dinner
The horse show
News from mom
The questioning
Camping
California
Queen for a day
The beach
Donuts and birthday presents
Tags
Sorry guys
Alices birthday
Aniversary
Going home
Meetings
Isabelle and Simons wedding
Sorry guys
Siblings
King for a day
Jace gets sick
Jaces Birthday
A declaration
I need an answer
Telling the family
a few days before the wedding
Jonathan and alices wedding
Good news and bad news
Lucy
Baby
Mom
Coming home
Bad news
Grace
Grace meets family
MAGNUS!
Bad news
Graces return party
Neice or nephew?
Los angeles
Seeing family again
Meeting with Aubrey
Meeting with the king and queen
Pack
Midnight
Dont hate me please
Parents
What to do?
Shoping with ash
Work
Introductions
Night
Family
London
Gender reveal
Christmas eve
Christmas
Jaces turn
Meeting with a verlac
1,2...345
Missing
Party
Doctors visits and shopping trips
The day before
Home again
Disneyland
A break in
Hawaii pt. 1
Hawaii part 2
Alice leaves

Ascension Day

156 8 3
By little_squirrel_234

I wake up. I'm tangled in the bed sheets. I sit up. I see the sun is not even up yet. I look over and jace is gone. I'm not surprised. At least I know I have Jonathan and Grace. I get out of the bed and go to the bathroom and brush my teeth.

I open the bedroom door to go down the stairs. The guards at the bedroom say Good morning to me. I say good morning back to them. I start walking down the stairs. I see the light on in Graces nursery. The door is closed but I hear someone in there with her. "Its alright baby girl. Daddy's got you. I promise nobody is ever going to hurt you. They can try but I won't ever let them get you. I love you Grace. I will figure this whole thing out I promise" he says.

What is he talking about? I mean I understand some of it nut not all. I see the door knob turn. I quickly hide behind the stairs so he doesn't know I'm awake yet.

He walks out. Grace is not with him. He stops and looks up the stairs where our bedroom is. He sighs and looks away and walks off.

I walk back in Graces room. She makes grabby hands for me. I pick her up. "Hi sweet girl. I can't believe you are three months old today" I say to her smiling. Yes three months. I can't believe it. Jace may not even remember but I do. It is also ascension day. Which means at 2:00 in the afternoon me and Jace have to be at the hall of the accords. The academy needed more time because of the curfew cutting them off. I am hoping Jace will act like he normally does around people like nothing is wrong. I will just have to do that too. He is better at it than I am. I carry Grace to Jonathans room. I knock then go in. He is just sitting on the bed with Bear curled up next to him.

"Hey I have that rune made for you" I say. "What rune" he asks. "The one you wanted me to make for you. The one that changes your appearance" I remind him. "Oh that one. Lets try it" he says. "I drew it out in my sketchbook but my sketchbook is upstairs" I say. "I can hold and watch Grace for you if you want to go get it" he offers. I give Grace to Jonathan.

I leave his room and go back up to my room. I look through my room for my sketchbook. I find it in one of my dresser drawers. I carry it back downstairs into Jonathans room. "She gets a little bigger every day" he says. "Yeah she does doesn't she" I say. "If this works do you want to go to the ascension ceremony" I ask. "Yeah I guess so" he says. "We may need to give you an extra guards uniform just so people don't ask questions" I say. "That's a good idea" he says. I start looking through my sketchbook. I find the rune and make sure it stays open on that page. "Where do you want it" I ask. "Put it on top of my shoulder" he says.

I grab his stele since its on his nightstand and I don't have to go back upstairs for mine. I copy the rune from my sketchbook on the top of his shoulder blade. It takes a minute then I see something start changing. He now has brunette hair and brown eyes. I'll admit he does look different and you wont even be able to tell that is my brother. "Does it work" Jonathan asks. His voice is different too. "Yeah, it works" I say. I deactivate the rune and he looks normal again. "It works. I just deactivated it right now. We can turn it back on before we go to the hall of the accords. I don't know how long it will last" I say. "Yeah" he says.

"She is three months old today isn't she" Jonathan says looking down at Grace who is looking up at him from the bed. "Yeah she is" I tell him. "Wow I cant believe its been three months already" he says. "I know time goes by so fast" I say. He hands me Grace and he slips a grey t-shirt on.

We both walk to breakfast together. They bring in the food. We both start making our plates. They bring in a bottle for Grace. I feed her first before I start eating myself. "Clary are you okay" Jonathan asks me. "Yeah i'm fine why" I ask. "I'm just making sure" he says. I move Grace so my left arm is holding her and she is secure and I start eating myself. "You know if something is wrong you can always talk to me right" he says. "I know. I'm glad I have a brother like you" I say and keep eating my waffles. I look over and see Grants eyes are wide. I ignore it and keep eating.

After breakfast I leave the dining room. I get pulled into the drawing room. I see its Grant.

"Who was that" he asks. "Who is who" I ask. "The guy you were sitting with at breakfast" Grant says. "My brother Jonathan" I answer. "I never knew you had a brother" he says. "A lot of people don't" I say. "When we were dating and I would go to your apartment I never saw him" Grant says. "That's because then he didn't live with me, mom, and Luke. When our parents got divorced before I was born, I lived with my mom and he was with our dad" I say. I mean its not a total lie. Jonathan never lived with me, mom, and Luke. I'm not going to tell him anything else about Jonathan's past. "Oh" Grant says. "Yeah" now if you will excuse me I think you have training with my brother" I say. "Oh yeah" he says and leaves.

I head in the opposite direction. I go to Graces nursery. I change her diaper. She stares at me while I change her diaper. When I am done I heave her on the changing table and look through her closet for something to change her into for today. I find her a cute little dress that is yellow and white. I think it was a gift she got from either a shadowhuner or downworlder, I don't remember. I put a little headband on her head that has a bow on it. She is very yellow and very cute today. I pick her back up and set her in her crib. I smile at her before I heave her nursery.

I go upstairs to my bedroom. I look for something to change into before I have to put a dress on for the ceremony. It would be a lot easier deciding which dress to choose if Jace would help me but I don't think he will. I will just have to pick one myself. Or maybe I could ask Jonathan. I start looking through my closet. I find a skirt and a purple shirt. I put that on. I choose some purple and white flats.

I go back downstairs and get Grace. I pick her up. She starts cooing and making baby sounds. She is so cute. I take her and walk around the castle.

I go over to the office and open the door. Jace is in here as always. "You remember today we have the ascension ceremony right" I ask. "Yeah I know" he says not looking up from his papers. Grace makes noise and reaches for Jace. He finally looks up at her.

He takes her from me and sits back down.  This is the first time in forever that I have seen him hold her or show any sort of attention to her. "You look so cute today baby" he says of course talking to Grace.

If I hadn't said anything he wouldn't even know or notice I am in the same room as him. I miss my old Jace. The one who cares about me and who actually notices me.

"Is there any special occasion she is dressed like this" jace asks.

Of course he does not even remember that Grace is three months old since today is April 9th. I sigh a little disappointed.

"No occasion I just thought I would put her in one of her new little dresses" I say. "Well she looks cute" he says. "Do you want me to help with anything? I don't want you having to do everything by yourself" I say. "No its fine" he says. "I figured out a way for Jonathan to come with us today" I say. He just nods. "Is there anything I can do to help you" I ask. "No it's fine. Can you take her I have to work on this" he says.

Of course he can only spend two minutes with his daughter. I take Grace. She wimpers from having to leave Jace but I can't do anything.

I just walk out of the office closing the door behind me. She starts crying. I take her to her nursery. I sit down in the rocking chair and rock her back and forth.

"I'm sorry baby girl I really am. It hurts me too. He's been pushing me away too" I say to her. She keeps crying. I close her door so her crying doesn't bother everyone else. I rock her back and forth trying to get her to calm down. But she won't. I want to cry too but I won't in front of Grace. If I'm going to cry it's when no one can see me. "What if mommy sings you a song will you go to sleep then" I ask. She keeps crying. I think I'm my head of some song to sing to my baby girl. I know what song I will sing.

  "Lavender's blue,
Dilly dilly,
Lavenders green.

When I am King,
Dilly dilly,
You shall be Queen.

Who told you so,
Dilly dilly,
Who told you so?

T'was my own heart,
Dilly dilly,
That told me so.

Call up your men,
Dilly dilly,
Set them to work.

Some to the plow,
Dilly dilly,
Some to the fork.

Some to make hay,
Dilly dilly,
Some to cut corn.

While you and I,
Dilly dilly,
Keep ourselves warm.

Lavender's green,
Dilly dilly,
Lavender's blue.

If you love me,
Dilly dilly,
I will love you.

Let the birds sing,
Dilly dilly,
Let the lambs play.

We shall be safe,
Dilly dilly,
Out of harms way.

I love to dance,
Dilly dilly,
I love to sing.

When I am Queen,
Dilly dilly,
You'll be my King.

Who told me so,
Dilly dilly,
Who told me so?

I told myself,
Dilly dilly,
I told me so."

Grace has calmed down and fallen asleep. I set her down in her crib so she can keep sleeping. I turn out her lights and close the door behind me as I leave her room.

When I look up I see Jonathan standing there staring at me. "That was you singing" he asks. "Yeah. It's quiet I know. It's bad too but it got her to sleep so I will take what I can get" I say. "It's not bad" he says.

"Jonathan can I talk to you" I ask him. "Yeah are you Okay" he asks. "I don't think so, I just need someone to talk to" I say. "Okay you where do you want to go" he asks. "Lets go to my room away from everyone else" I say. I close the entrance to the passage to the tower. Me and Jonathan walk up to my bedroom. I told the guards they didn't need to come up here during the day any more so they are not here right now. They only come at night. I open the door and walk inside. I close it and sit on the couch in front of the fireplace.

"Whats going on clary" Jonathan asks sitting on the chair beside me. "Well... its Jace" I say. "What did he do now" he asks. "He doesn't even remember Grace is three months old today. I put Grace in one of her cute new dresses since she is now three months old you know, and I walked into the office to go see him. He was busy of course. Grace wanted him. He took her for about two minutes. He said she was very cute today. He asked what the special occasion was that I had dressed her in a dress. Then he asked if I could take her so he could go back to working. I asked if there was anything I could do so he wasn't so busy. He said no and that he is fine. I took Grace from his arms like he asked me too. She started crying since she wanted him to hold her. I felt so bad for her. I just took her to her nursery and tried to calm her down. She wouldn't so I just tried to sing to her. It worked. But I wanted to cry too because I feel like I am in the same position she is in right now" I confess. It feels so good just telling somebody and not having to hold my feelings and thoughts inside.

"Do you want me to talk to Jace" Jonathan asks. "Please don't. I don't want him to know I am hurting. I don't think he would do anything anyway. He doesn't care" I say. "Just tell me if you ever do okay" he says. I nod. He comes over and sits beside me. He hugs me. I start to cry knowing I have needed this. He keeps holding me and just lets me cry. "Thanks Jonathan, I'm sorry I just really needed to get that off my chest" I say. "It's okay clary. I don't mind. I'm always going to be here for you" he says. "Thanks" I say. I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Lets go downstairs to lunch then we can get ready for the ascension day ceremony" he says. I nod. We go downstairs. I go into the nursery. Jonathan stays at her door and waits on me. Grace is laying in her crib playing with the flower on her dress. I pick her up. I check her diaper. It is still clean. I carry her out of the nursery with Jonathan right beside me.

We go into the dining room. They have already set up the food. I see simon in here. I go over to him. "Hey si, if you want to go over to the hall of the accords you can go on over. I think the kids from the academy will be over there in a few minutes" I say to him. "Okay" he says. He leaves the room and another guard takes his place. Its just routine that one guard and one servant is in the same room that I am in. If there was more people like if we were having a party there would be a bunch of guards in the same room.

I go over to the table and sit across from my brother and we both eat our lunch. Its a good lunch today. I feel better now that I got all of what has been bothering me off my chest.

"Hey jonathan" I ask. He looks up from his sandwich. That's what today's lunch is. Its sandwiches and fruit. "Can you help me pick out what to wear for the ascension day ceremony, I can't decide, and you know why I wont ask you know who" I ask him. Yes it has gotten so bad with Jace that I now call him you know who. "Yeah sure. I understand. We have just got to get that extra uniform" he says. "Yeah sure" I say. We both finish eating our food.

Jonathan and I go down to Jostens office. Before we go in Grace makes grabby hands for Jonathan to hold her. He takes her from me and holds her close to him. She softly coos happy to be held by him.

I open the door to jostens office. "Yes ma'am" he asks. "You are coming to the ascension day ceremony right" I ask. "I am" he answers. "Good. I will also need an extra guards uniform" I say. He looks confused but goes over to a cabinet and pulls out an extra guards uniform. I take it and say thank you. He tells me he will have autumn ready by 1:45 so we can go down. I nod and Jonathan, Grace, and I head up to the castle.

When we get inside the castle I ask, "What if he is seeing another girl?" Jonathan stops and looks at me. Grace is laying her head on his shoulder. "Jace? I don't think so" he says. "I mean I wouldn't blame him. He could have any girl he wants" I say. "Clary don't talk like that. I highly doubt he is seeing another girl. If he is then he is an idiot. You are sweet, nice, funny, and everything in between. I'm surprised you let that mundane stay when he crossed the countries border without permission. You could have just sent him away or wiped his memory or even killed him but you didn't. You are stronger than you think you are and you deserve the best. I will do whatever I can to help you" He says. I smile. "Thanks Jonathan. You are everything I have wanted in a brother" I tell him.

We both walk up to the bedroom. Although i'm sure Jace would not care at this point if something happened to me or not since he is so busy. I open the door and notice Jace is already in here. I sigh and just walk into the closet with Jonathan following me. "You okay" jonathan asks me. "Yeah" I say. I set the extra uniform on the stairs.

Jonathan looks through my dresses. "I like this one" he says. I pull it out and go into the bathroom. I walk into the bathroom and close the door behind me. I saw Jace was watching me as I was walking from the closet to the bathroom but I just ignored it. I knew If I tried talking to him he would just shut me out again so I will just wait until he tries to talk to me first. I change into the pretty blue and purple dress. I look at myself in the mirror. I look really pretty in this dress.

I walk out of the bathroom. I notice Jace changing too. I sigh and go into the closet. "I like that dress on you" Jonathan says. I smile. I slip some back flats on. "You want to go ahead and change? I can take Grace from you and go on into the bathroom. We can turn the rune back on when we get down to the barn" I say. "Yeah sure" he says. I take Grace from him and leave the closet and sit on the bed. Grace reaches for Jace. He makes no motion to take her from me. She starts crying.

Jonathan walks out changed and we both walk down to Grace nursery. "Why is she crying this time" Jonathan asks. "Same reason as last time, she wanted Jace to hold her and he wouldn't" I say. "Poor baby, He really is being a jerk then huh" Jonathan says. "Yeah" I say. Grace keeps crying. "Shh baby girl its alright you still have momma to hold you even if your daddy wont" I say to her. She keeps crying.

Jonathan closes the door but still stays in here with me. I sit down in the rocking chair. I slowly rock back and forth and start to sing again. She eventually falls asleep. "I think we found what calms her down" Jonathan says. "I guess so. I guess my super soft and quiet singing voice is good for something" I say. I set her down in her crib. "We need to start heading down to the barn" I say. "Okay" Jonathan says.

I turn out Graces nursery light and close the door behind us. I see Jace start heading own the stairs. We all head to the barn. On the way down there Alice brings me and Jace our crowns. It's my original one. "Hey Alice, can you tell Charlotte Grace is in her nursery taking her nap"I ask. "Sure" she says. We put our crowns on and head on down. There are people waiting outside the barn holding the horses for us. I go over to autumn and Jace goes over to major. I walk over to Jonathan. "Let me see the rune" I say. He moves the side of his shirt over so I now see the new rune. I move my stele over it and his appearance changes. I smile and go over to autumn. I get on her and Jonathan gets on chance. We all head over to the hall of the accords.

Simon POV

I get to the hall of the accords and get off of domino. "Man, where did you get that nice looking horse" I ear. I turn and see George. "The castle. I was sent here early before the ceremony so I could see you all before it actually starts" I tell him. "Well I'm glad you came early. Come on lets go inside" he says. I tie domino up and follow him inside.

We go into a room where I see the others who are ascending today. Everyone is talking I follow him to a area where I see Jon, beatriz, julie, and marisol. "Simon" julie says excited to see me. "Hey" I say. I go sit down. "Wheres that fancy guards uniform" Marisol asks. "I wasn't going to wear it for the ceremony today" I say. "Oh, is the king and queen here yet" Beatriz asks me. "I don't think so. I think they were coming later. They sent me on ahead so I can see you guys" I say. "Are you ready for today" Jon asks. Of course he is not ascending since he already has shadowhunter blood. Neither will Julie. "Yeah I am" I say.

"I am so glad that curfew is finally over or we may never have gotten the chance to ascend" George says. "You are welcome" I say. They all look confused. "That day I came to the academy when I said I was on royal business I was really going to see Catarina and try and get her to open a portal. I was trying to bring Clary and Jace back to undo that and everything else the clave had done" I tell them. "Wow" Jon says. "Yeah" I say.

"Are they bringing Princess Grace with them" Marisol asks. "I doubt it. They want her to be a little bit older before they introduce her to everyone" I tell them. "What is she like" George asks. "Grace? Shes always happy. She sleeps a lot. She looks a lot like her dad. Clary had her dressed in a cute yellow and white dress today" I say. "Aww, I bet she is adorable" Julie says. "Me too" Marisol says. "She is" I say.

"Hey simon do you think you could get us a chance to meet the King and Queen before the ceremony" Marisol asks.

I look out the window and see clary, Jace, Josten, and some other guard come riding up on Horses. "Well, you are in luck because they just got here and I can go ask them for you" I say. "Really" Marisol asks. "Sure" I say.

I leave the room and go down to the entrance of the building. I open the door just as they are getting off their horses. "Hey simon, are they here" clary asks me. "Yeah, uh, is it okay if I bring a couple of people out to meet you they really want to before the ceremony" I ask. "Yeah sure just bring them to where its being held we will be there" clary says. I nod and go back into the room where the others are.

"She said yeah" I tell them. "What are they like? Do you think they will like me? Do I look okay" Marisol asks. "Relax Marisol, you look fine" Jon says.

I lead them to where the ceremony is going to be held. I see clary talking to that guard. "Oh my gosh you guys look at King Jace" Julie says. She has always loved Jace. "I know and seeing him dressed like that, oh my gosh" Beatriz says. Beatriz and Marisol love him too. I roll my eyes and see Jon and George roll their eyes too.

Clary says something to that guard and she comes over her to us. "H-hi Queen Clary" Jon stutters. Wow I have never seen Jon stutter before he is usually confident about everything. "Hi, you are Jonathan Cartwright aren't you" she asks. He nods. "You look a lot like one" she says. "What are all of your names" she asks the others. Clary looks happy. "I'm Marisol" Marisol says. "I'm Julie and this is Beatriz" Julie says. The three of them give a small curtsy. "And whats your name" she asks George. "Oh, I'm George, George Lovelace ma'am" George says. She nods.

"Who all is ascending" clary asks. "That would be me, Marisol and Simon" George says. "But you are a Lovelace" clary says. "I'm a mundane, I was adopted my the Lovelaces" George says. "Oh, that makes sense" Clary says.

Jace comes over. "Hi king Jace" George says. "Hi guys" Jace says. He wraps his arm around Clary and kisses the top of her head. Clarys smile gets bigger.

"Are you ready for today" Jace asks them. "Yeah, I'm a little nervous though" Marisol confesses. "Don't be, You will be fine" Jace says. She nods. "Well we have go to get this thing started" Jace says. Jace and clary leave us and we all go find a seat. More people start coming in. I notice Isabelle comes. "Hey, Simon, look who it is" George says pointing at isabelle. "I didn't know she was coming" I admit.

The ascension ceremony goes on for a while. Now it's Marisols turn. She answers the questions she is asked and drinks from the mortal cup. The ring around her glows and goes out. She comes back. She is now a shadowhunter.

"Simon Lewis" I hear Jace call. I take a deep breath and walk up to him and clary. I kneel in the circle like everybody else did before me.

"Do you swear, Simon Lewis, to forsake the mundane world and follow the path of the shadowhunter?" Queen clary asks. "Will you take into yourself the blood of the angel Raziel and honor that blood? Do you swear to serve the King and Queen as well as the clave, to follow that law as set forth by the covenant, and obey the word of the council? Will you defend that which is human and mortal, knowing that for your service there will be no recompense and no thanks but honor" Clary finishes. I know this is big because for shadowhunter swearing means life or death. I look up to clary. She is looking at me and gives a small quick smile that nobody but me could see. I know she can't make this choice for me, I am the only one who can do it. "I swear" I say. "Can you be a shield for the weak, a light in the dark, a truth among falsehoods, a tower in the flood, an eye to see when all others are blind" Jace asks. I think of every other leader, everyone else who has taken this oath before me. "I can" I answer him. "And when you are dead, will you give up your body to the nephilim to be burned, that your ashes may be used to build the city of bones" Jace asks. "I will" I answer. "Then drink" clary says and holds out the cup. I take it in my hands. I feels heavier than I thought it would. The cup seems to glow too at some point while I am holding it. "Drink" clary repeats quietly. I drink from the cup. I feel and see all of the memories I had lost before come back. Everything comes back. "Arise" I hear jace say. I stay rooted in place. I feel different, I feel strong and ready for whatever comes. "Arise" clary repeats jace. I stand up and walk down to the others.

"George Lovelace" I hear Jace call. George is the last one today. As we pass we high five each other. I wonder what he will see when he is in the circle? Clary and jace ask him the same questions they asked me. He answers back like I did.

The room goes quiet. Then I hear a scream. I look up. The scream came from George. George and Clary are engulfed in darkness. When it fades away Clary is on her feet and the silent brothers are already by her side. They are all looking down on something horrible. Something with the shape of a person, but not it's face, and not it's skin. Something with black veins bulging through cracking flesh. Something writhing and crumbling with George's hair and George's sneakers. The creature stops moving and falls still.

Without thinking I start moving towards it. Until I feel hands on my shoulder. It's Catarina. "Let go of me I have to help him" I yell. "No" Catarina says. She sets her hand on my forehead and my mind calms down. "It's too late Simon" she says. I can't look at him. I look away. "Ave atque vale, George Lovelace, child of the nephilim" I whisper, "forever and ever, my brother, hail and farewell."

The whole ascension ceremony is over now. Clary comes over. "I'm sorry Simon. I know you said he was your first real friend at the academy" she says. "He was" I say.

"Hey clary, can I stay and be a guard at the castle for a little while longer? Then you can assign me to somewhere else" I ask. "Sure Simon" she says. "Thanks. I like serving at the castle" I say. She smiles. "Just let one of us know if you want to do something else than be at the castle" she says. "I will" I say.

Marisol comes up to me. "So What are you gonna do now" she asks. "I'm going to stay at the castle as a guard for a little while. What about you" I ask her. "I'm not sure yet" she says. "That's okay too. I'm sure if you asked you could be assigned to an institute if you wanted" I say. "I'm sure" she says.

Clary POV

I see Alec and Magnus. I go over to Alec. "Hey Alec" I say. "Hey clary it's been a while" he says. "Yeah it has. Hey can you please talk to jace" I ask. "Why? What's wrong" he asks. "He's just been distant lately" I say. "Oh" Alec says. "Yeah and I know he might talk to you about it" I say. "Yeah I will try and catch him and ask him before you leave" he says. "Thanks Alec. How are you Magnus" I ask him. "I've been good. Not much going on" he says. "That's good" I say.

I walk over to Jonathan. "Well this was what I thought was how the ascension ceremony works" he says. "Yeah. Hey I asked if Alec could talk to jace and see if he could get him to tell him what is going on. I'm worried" I say. "I know you are. Hopefully Alec can get something out of him. Has Simon decided to do something" Jonathan asks. "He is going to stay as a guard for a little while" I tell him. "That's good. I think he might like it there" Jonathan says. "I think so too" I say. "But jace seems to be acting like his old self again isn't he"Jonathan says changing the subject back to jace. "Well yes, but as I told you, it's all just an act here. Watch how when we get back to the castle how he goes back to the way he was. Cold and distant" I say. "We will see. I'm always going to be here for you Clary. No matter how he is" Jonathan reassures. "Thank you Jonathan, for everything" I say. "Of course Clary" he says. I smile.

Jace comes over. "You ready to go" he asks. "Yeah whenever you are" I say. "Okay I will let josten know" he says. He leaves and talks to josten I guess saying that we are ready to leave. I go see Simon. He is talking to someone, I think her name was Julie. "Hey we are getting ready to head back tot be castle Simon. Are you coming" I ask. "Yeah I'm coming" he says. "Bye Julie maybe I will see you sometime" he says. They give each other a last goodbye hug. We both walk back over to Jonathan. Jace and josten come soon after us.

We head out the door of the hall of accords and over to our horses. Alec comes and hurry's to me. "Clary can I talk to you" he asks. "Yeah you guys go on ahead I will be fine. I will head back in a little bit" I say. They all head back. "What's up Alec" I ask. "I tried Clary. Jace just told me he was fine" he says. "That's what he keeps telling me. I can tell he's not though. Because he wouldn't be acting the way he is. He never even has time for me. Or even Grace for that matter" I say. "What do you mean Clary? What's been going on" he asks. We both sit on the stairs of the building. "Well it all started a few months ago. He started becoming distant at first brushing off the small things that we would do together. Like how he liked when I would read to him before bed every night. One day I woke up and he wasn't there. I went down to breakfast and he wasn't there either. I asked someone where he was and they said he was in his office. I just went about my day like normal. He never comes to any of the meals. At bedtime now he comes after me and leaves before I get up and sometimes my brother has to wake me up. When Grace woke up this morning I got her dressed in one of her cute new dresses. She is three months old today. I go into the office to see jace. I ask him if there is anything I can do to help and he said no. Grace wanted him and I passed her on to jace. He held her for about two minutes then asked for me to take her back so he can keep working. I take her from him and from the office. She starts crying. He didn't even remember that she was 3 months old today" I tell Alec. "Wow something is wrong then" he says. "Yeah. You know him better than I do, how do I get to him" I ask. "See if this passes if not just try and talk to him again. Give him a few days more time" Alec says. "Okay I will keep trying" I say. "Okay. I'm sorry he is like this Clary. I really am" he says. "Me too Alec. Thanks" I say. "No problem. If nothing works I can always come over and try and talk to him again" Alec says. "Okay thanks" I say.

I stand up. "I should probably go back" I say. "Okay, don't want anyone coming after me thinking I did something to you" he jokes. "No we don't" I say. I get on autumns back. "I will see you later Alec" I say. "Bye Clary" he says. I smile and walk off.

When I get back to the castle someone takes autumn from me and I go inside the castle. I see Jonathan has changed his clothes but is waiting for me like a good big brother. He looks back to normal like his self again. "Where's jace" I ask. "He changed clothes then went straight to the office" he tells me. "I told you he would" I say. "Yeah I'm sorry Clary. You were right" he says. "I know. I think it's almost dinner time. Let me just go get changed then the two of us can go down to dinner. Oh yeah I almost forgot I have to get Grace" I say. "I will go get her from Charlotte and wait for you in the dining room" he says. "Okay" I say.

I change back into the outfit I had on before the ceremony and head down the stairs. I go down to the dining hall. I see Jonathan talking to Alice and she is holding Grace. I go over to them. "Thanks" I say. She hands me my little girl. "Of course. She slept a while then Charlotte and I finished some work and then she woke up. I think the new guy you had me train is ready the physical training all depends on Jonathan but he is trained to be a servant now" she says. "Okay good. Thank you Alice" I say. "Of course" she says.

Me and Jonathan go eat. I feed Grace her bottle too while I am at it. "Hey Jonathan How is Alice's training going" I ask him. "It's getting better. She has gotten better at knife throwing. She is getting better at other things too" he tells me. "That's great. I know it will take a while to train her but her ascension day will come quicker than you think it will" I say. "Yeah I know" he says. We both finish eating. We just decide to sit here for a little while after dinner. "I never knew you have to answer so many questions before you drank from the mortal cup" Jonathan says. "Yeah" I say. "Did you just make those questions up" he asks. "No they have been around for a long time. I had to learn them before today" I say. "That's a lot to memorize" he says. "Yeah it is" I say.

We both leave the dining room. We both hang out in the library for a little while.

I look at my watch. It's late. 9:45. Grace yawns. "I'm gonna get little one ready for bed and put her to sleep. What are you going to do" I ask him. "I'm probably going to get ready for bed. I will just see you in the morning" he says. "Okay Goodnight Jonathan" I say. He tells me Goodnight and goes to his room.

I take Grace into her nursery. I change her diaper since its wet and stinky. I change her into some of her pajamas. I kiss the top of her head and set her down in her crib. She starts crying. I pick her back up and she quiets down. I carry her to the rocking chair and talk to her softly trying to get her to fall asleep. She just keeps looking at me wide eyed and wide awake. I give up talking to her since that is not working. I start singing to her lavenders blue since she seems to like that song.

When I finish singing the song she has fallen asleep. I knew that would work. I look at the clock. It is 10:20. I set her down in her crib and she curls up some. she stays asleep. I turn out her lights an close the door to her nursery.

I walk up the stairs to my bedroom. Jace is not up here as usual. I change into something to sleep in. I get ready for bed and get in bed. I start drawing in sketchbook. My sketchbook is like my diary I draw what I am feeling. Yes I am happy, but I am also sad and lonely. I miss jace. I miss having him next to me and having him talk to me in general. He barely says two words to me. I draw some in my sketchbook. When I can't draw anymore because I am so tired, I close my sketchbook and set it in the drawer of my nightstand. I lay down and fall asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 143 34
This happens after the city of heavenly fire.(In the Mortal Instruments series) She walks in gracefully and says with so much venom, that I flinch, "...
35.1K 953 19
What would life be like for Clary Morgenstern if she had a normal Shadowhunter family? Her brother didn't have demon blood, her father wasn't a mania...
31.3K 809 21
[COMPLETED BUT SERIES DISCONTINUED] [BASED OFF THE BOOK SERIES. NOT THE TV SHOW] Clarissa Fairchild and Jace Herondale, the happy perfect couple of t...
2K 38 17
Five years ago, Imogen arranged Jace's marriage to Isabeau Dragonway, after Clary turned down his marriage proposal twice. Jace and Isabeau met and h...