Right Girl for the Job

By egeecotton

(A Mafia Daughter Spin off) To most people, it would seem that Javiera was just another nobody. At age 24, sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 8

1.2K 64 6
By egeecotton

As instructed, Jack had kept a close eye on the girl during the week. He'd left her the envelope early on Monday morning and then let things unfurl on their own.

He was annoyed of course- called in to babysit a girl when he should be back home, preparing to go to Monte Carlo in a few weeks. He hadn't missed the way she stared at him- he could see resentment in her eyes from miles away. She didn't appreciate the way Matteo did things but in the end, she just couldn't resist the offer.

He didn't know what to think of it- he could understand wanting adventure, excitement and of course, financial security but he had been working all his life and new there was much more than the initial glamour to it.

He was less than impressed with Matteo's selection too. A loud mouthed girl with too much attitude and a unique ability to loose her temper- and what an explosive temper! She would have to curb that immediately. If she lost her temper like that on a job it could get her, or him, killed.

Now he sat at a table, just across the street from the tiny shop he'd seen her walk into. He was drinking coffee and holding up a newspaper, his coat done up all the way as it was still a bit cool in the mornings. He was vigilant- this was the next test. He needed to be sure she knew how to follow directions to the very letter.

----

Javi arranged flowers in the back, having gotten a very early start that morning. She had been surprised to arrive and find that the shop had been properly closed, locked and cleaned but then Matteo Peroni would be the type to think of everything.

"You're here early." Sandra said in surprise as she walked in the front door and turned the sign to say OPEN.

"I know- I wanted to get a head start." Javi said, trying to sound normal. She wondered if Sandra could tell.

"You look different." She said as she tied on her apron, making Javi laugh.

"What do you mean?" Javi asked, not looking at her. Sandra leaned against the counter, quietly scrutinizing her.

"I've got it." She said with a smile. "You're not wearing your uniform."

Javi let out a sigh of relief mixed with laughter.

"Oh yeah!" Javi said, shaking her head. "I'm sorry. The weekend was complicated and I didn't get a chance to wash my whites."

"I see." Sandra said, looking Javi over. It was the first time she had seen her out of the uniform. "I can't say this was the best choice, though."

"I know. I'm sorry." Javi said. She was wearing an old, stretched out black tee over grey legging and her sneakers. It was what she usually wore under the large grey sweatshirt that now hung in the back.

Sandra stared at Javi for a few moments, noting that something was just not right.

"Javi- look at me." Sandra said. Javi turned towards her for a second and then back to her flowers.

"Javi, stop and look at me." Sandra said. Javi sighed, turning off the faucet and turning to face Sandra.

"Something's wrong." Sandra said. Javi took a deep breath.

"I'm afraid there is. Sandra... I don't know how to say this..." Javi began, trying to find the words in her throat but Sandra suddenly nodded.

"Let me guess, you found a better job?" Sandra asked, a faint smile on her lips. Javi stared at her, surprised.

"How did you know?" Javi asked. Sandra laughed.

"You're acting crazy, besides, I figured that eventually you would. So..." Sandra said, sighing in defeat, "Any chance I can convince you to stay?"

"I really want to stay but I'm afraid it's a good offer- the kind you can't refuse." Javi said. Sandra nodded.

"Okay- tell me about it." She said, moving towards the notepad to see what orders were pending for the day.

"It's for EPI." Was all that Javi said, turning back to her flowers.

"The security company?" Sandra asked. Javi raised her brow.

"You know it?" Javi asked. Sandra nodded.

"More or less. They're the ones that make the security cameras on the ATMs. well, not all of them but most I guess." Sandra said, thinking about it. Javi was amazed- that was a good way to make money.

"Yes. Well, that's the one." Javi said.

"So, what are you going to do there?" Sandra asked.

"I'm going to be... in special projects." Javi muttered.

"Special Projects?" Sandra asked. Javi smiled.

"Yeah, you know. Fulfilling orders, deliveries, things like that. Basically a gofer really." Javi said, trying not to get into too much detail.

"That sounds interesting." Sandra said. "When do you start?"

Javi took a deep breath.

"They need me on Monday." Javi said. Sandra nodded.

"Well, what can I do but wish you luck." Sandra said, turning to Javi. "I'm sad to see you go but I'm also glad that you'll be doing something new."

"I'm really sorry about this, leaving so suddenly." Javi said but Sandra laughed.

"No, don't be. it's a flower shop- it's not rocket science. I'll find a new girl soon and you know better than I do that this is all on the job learning." Sandra said with a grin. Javi smiled.

"It's so strange to think I won't see this place anymore." Javi said.

"Don't tell me you aren't planning to visit?" Sandra said. "I expect you to keep in touch."

Javi was quiet for a second, wondering if that was something she would be allowed to do.

"of course." She said, trying to sound calm but the reality was that Javiera was still not sure if she was doing the right thing. In fact, she was pretty sure she wasn't.

----

"So?" Matteo asked, sitting across from Jack at his desk. "How is it going?"

It was Friday morning and Jack had been watching Javi all week.

"Good- she's done everything on the list, exactly as described." Jack said. Matteo nodded.

"Good, great." He said, "Did she get rid of all her things?" Jack nodded.

"Except an old sofa I'm assuming she sleeps on. Everything is packed and everything we told her to get rid of, she did." Jack said. "She also closed her accounts, cancelled her credit cards and scheduled her services to be disconnected. She did it. All of it."

"Is her room ready?" Matteo asked, nodding in approval.

"Yes. And her pick up. Everything. It's all done." Jack said, a little bit annoyed. He still couldn't quite reconcile himself to the situation.

"Good. Then I'll leave her in your hands. I'll want updates on her training and progress over the next few months. When the year is up, I'll make my choice." Matteo said, holding out a folder. Matteo had specifically designed and listed the skills he wanted her to sharpen and the ones he wanted to her to build. Jack looked over the list, nodding.

"This is an interesting set." Jack said. Everything was so specific.

"I'm sure she'll excel at all of it." Matteo said. Jack was quiet for a second.

"Buying someone's loyalty is not the same as earning it, Matteo. She can't be trusted." Jack said, trying to plead out of the situation.

"You're right. It's not but I don't doubt that this girl is loyal as long as we keep our promises to her. In time, she will become loyal for the right reasons." Matteo said.

"I don't think..." Jack began but Matteo cut him off.

"That's enough, Jack. I appreciate your concern, but you'll have to trust me on this." Matteo said, turning as there was a sudden knock at the door.

Jack nodded, rising to open it.

"Hi!" Viviana said, popping in and suddenly staring at Jack. "Oh, dear- there's one I don't know."

"Vivi- come in." Matteo said, standing and moving towards her. Viviana went into the office tentatively, looking at Jack and then back at Matteo.

"I could come back later if you're busy." Viviana said.

Jack stared at Viviana as she walked in. She was certainly beautiful- he could see why Matteo had chosen her. She was feminine in every way possible... so different from the brat he'd be dealing with.

"No, we were finishing up. Vivi- this is one of my men stationed in Greece. Jack." He said, signalling to him. Jack reached out to take Viviana's hand. "Jack, My wife- Viviana."

"It's an honor to meet you, Mrs. Peroni." He said formally, slightly bowing over her hand as he kissed it. Viviana blushed- this had been happening a lot lately and she was still not used to it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Viviana said, stepping slightly closer to Matteo. She couldn't help it- the man was... scary. Handsome... oh yes. He was definitely handsome, maybe not quite as handsome as Matteo, but handsome in such a different way. his hair was windswept and dark blonde and his eyes strangely grey.

He stuck out like a sore thumb, especially in that formal suit, although it fit him well. With his tan and contrived casualness, he almost looked like a pirate.

"I came to see if you would like to have lunch today in the city." She said. "I know it's early but I thought we could linger for a while."

Viviana was not sure why her voice was so constricted- it must be this man in the room.

"Of course." Matteo said with a smile.

"I'll take my leave. I should get back to work." Jack said, looking at the time. It would be noon soon.

"Thank you, Jack. I'll be in touch." Matteo said as Jack left the room.

For a second, Viviana and Matteo were quiet and then Viviana looked at him curiously.

"That man." She said, putting her hand on her chest. "he looks... scary."

Matteo laughed.

"I know. It's the way he seems to permanently frown." Matteo said, leading Viviana towards the desk and then leaning back. Viviana shook her head with a laugh.

"I think so, but he's so big..." She continued a bit in shock.

"He's ruthless. At least when necessary, he's also quite good at blending in." Matteo said, making her laugh.

"I can't imagine not seeing a man like that in a crowd." She said. Matteo chuckled.

"You'd be surprised." He replied.

"You said he's stationed in Greece- why is he here then?" She asked but Matteo just tsked and shook his head, making her pout.

"Oh, okay. Fine! Don't tell me. I don't care anyways." She said, beginning to pull away but Matteo just pulled her right back against him tightly.

"Vivi..." He said, running his fingers through her hair. Viviana stared at him for a second, hating how easily he disarmed her anger.

"Matteo." She said, a tiny smirk coming over her face.

"un bacio si prega..." He said in a husky tone she just couldn't ignore...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71 2 12
Kim Kwan, Or that's what everyone thought........ Is a 20 year old girl who works in a stripper club. She has been a slut there for almost 2 years. ...
1.7M 11.9K 6
*Heighest ranking 26th in Love, 1st in General Fiction, and 1st in Tragedy, as well as no#1 in mystery* When you're the most feared and powerful Ital...
65.2K 2.2K 50
♕~Let me be the big bad wolf to fulfil all your naughty little desires~♕ Stripped And Tainted The Human...
3M 79.8K 50
Sloan. 17 years old. Billionaire. Mafia Queen. At the age of 2 Sloan was kidnapped from her family by her father's second in command and taken to S...