Fanboy (boyxboy)

Oleh Maggiebert

For Eli Warren, loving a Bieber was practically a family value. His mother was a Belieber so it only made sen... Lebih Banyak

Author's Notes
I Need Your Love
Just for Now
Always Be
Blurry
Careless
Dear Agony
Second Chance
Rootless Tree
Ten Days
Your Battlefield
Comedown
After You
Unsteady Ground
From Where You Are
Closer to the Edge
Wait it Out
Heartbreak Coverup
Break Myself
Angel's Son
Give Me Love
So Much
Song Beneath the Song
Haunted
If This is It
Demons
Stalemate
Remind Me
Burn
Broken Together
Replay
Stay
Still Into You
Say Something
Circle the Drain
A World Alone
Come On
Shatter Me
Don't Let Me Down
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Latch
Impossible is Nothing
I See Fire
Elastic Heart
Break My Fall
Dust Clears
Alter the Ending
Constant Craving
Nightminds
The Morning After
You
Borrowed
Coming Home
Human
Heal
Wonderful Unknown
Secret Love Song
All My Heart
Stingray Affliction
"Now we wait."
"I want to believe you."
"Your hands are shaking."
"This is my love language"
"You're Not My Fan, You're My Husband."
"You did what, exactly?"
"Do you want me to Google it?"
"Yeah, I did that for you."
"As if anything could really be so wrong?"
"I hate it when you look at me that way"
"I'm not any worse than I already was."
"The list of what's right is much shorter."
"Adam, where is our son?"
"I thought I deleted that."
"I promise, this would fix everything."
"Did you think you could just keep it a secret?"
"We have a situation."
"I have this theory."
"Please don't do this, Bryce."
"I want to show you something."
"We had a deal."
"That's like a modern day fairytale."
Epilogue

Numb

78 10 2
Oleh Maggiebert

If Adam thought the first day of work wasn't anything like what he expected, the next few days were just as bad. The boys were assigned a teacher, a pair of vocal coaches, a stylist, choreographer and social media manager. It didn't seem to matter that the band wasn't complete, they started learning music and choreography anyway.

"Are you the gay one?" Jimmy asked. He and Adam were waiting during a "school" session one day as their teacher worked with Tyler. Adam turned so fast he knocked over his water bottle. Brent caught it and Adam was extra glad he'd put the top on tight.

"What?"

"They told me before I signed that you were gay and I had to be okay with that."

"They said I was...?" Adam's throat was already tired from all the singing but it was suddenly very dry too.

"Not him, me," Brent set Adam's water bottle back on the table. "I'm the gay one."

"You don't look gay," Jimmy narrowed his eyes at Brent. "Huh. That's cool."

"How do you look gay?" Adam looked at Brent. Was Jimmy saying he thought Adam looked gay? If so, he had to know how to fix it.

"Right? Sorry I forgot to wear my dicksucker merit badge," Brent rolled his eyes. It took Adam a second to get that he was being sarcastic. So maybe you couldn't look gay?

"Hey, chill, it was just a question," Jimmy held his hands up. "Sorry, dudes, I just figured it was you cause you have the pretty eyes."

"I, uh, what?" Adam tried to pick up his water to take a sip and almost knocked it over again.

"You do have pretty eyes," Brent grinned at Adam, sending his heart into full on palpitations. "But they're crazy intense, like I'm afraid if you get mad you'll shoot ice at me."

"Oh, man I can see that!" Jimmy gasped. "How fuckin rad would that be?"

"Language!" their teacher finally turned around. "Are you all finished with the worksheet then?"

"Sorry," Brent apologized. He even looked like he meant it. She turned back to Tyler.

"Hey, we're cool, right?" Jimmy nudged Brent.

"Yeah, but you've used up your one ignorant question," Brent didn't actually look like he was that okay with Jimmy, but Adam didn't want to point it out. "Next time Google it."

Adam sat with that for the rest of their "school" session that day. He'd never once thought to try Googling any of his questions. Maybe that would keep him from looking like too much of an idiot.

When they got a break before their meeting with Martin, Adam decided to try Googling a question, just to see if it would work. He started with what he thought was an easy question but when the results came up, none of the answers made sense.

"Oh, Adam," Brent's voice came out of nowhere and Adam almost dropped the phone when he realized Brent was looking at the screen.

"I'm sorry!" Adam insisted, not sure what else to say.

"Hey, come here," Brent pulled Adam out of the room. "Look, Jimmy was being a dick. I already told you that you can ask me whatever questions you want."

"Yeah, but," Adam tried to take a calming breath. "I don't know anything. I could be ignorant and not realize."

"So you tried to google what an ignorant question is, I get it," Brent gave him that sad, patient smile he was always giving Adam. "The difference is that you ask questions because you honestly want to learn. And you ask in innocent ways. But Jimmy saying I don't look gay, that's ignorant."

"I guess I don't see the difference," Adam admitted.

"You never assume things about other people, Adam," Brent shook his head. "That's the difference."

"Okay. If I try Google again will I get answers for other questions? Because it didn't give me an answer this time."

"Depends on the question," Brent shrugged. "I promise you can ask me anything you want, I won't ever get mad at you Adam. Promise."

"Do you really think my eyes are pretty?" Adam wasn't sure he could handle the answer.

"Hey, don't let that freak you out," Brent shook his head. "I shouldn't have said it. It doesn't mean I want to date you or anything."

"It's okay, but were you telling the truth?"

"Yeah," Brent grinned. "And it's not just your eyes."

"Oh," Adam's heart started pounding so hard he worried he was having a heart attack.

"Don't get weird on me. I think Tyler's hot too," Brent laughed. "I know you straight boys will break my heart but I'm going to enjoy it while I can."

"I thought you were in love with Maddox Bieber," Adam was amazed his mouth worked at all.

"Mmmmmm no one will ever beat Dax," Brent groaned. "He's so perfect. I just..ugh. Again, another stupid straight boy."

"Dax is straight?" Adam couldn't remember ever hearing Maddox was gay. "I never knew he dated anyone."

"He has to be," Brent sighed. "But he's never had a girlfriend so I like to pretend. He's never had a girl in any of his music videos either."

"So how do you know?"

"Technically, I don't," Brent's eyes widened. "Adam, you're giving me hope."

"Hope is good," Adam smiled but he didn't feel very happy. He didn't like the idea of Brent having a boyfriend, even if it was Maddox.

"Boys, we need to get to work," Jeff interrupted. He'd leaned out of the conference room so Adam followed Brent into the room to have a seat with Tyler and Jimmy.

"So we were just saying there's something we haven't taken care of yet," Monroe said as Adam sat down. "Every band needs a name, right?"

"We need a really good name," Brent pulled his phone out of his pocket. "I made a list of ideas but I don't really like any of them that much."

"You made a list?" Tyler laughed. "Let's see."

"Well yeah, I figured we would have to pick a name pretty fast," Brent handed Tyler his phone.

"Good, that settles one decision we have to make today," Martin joined them at the table. "Brent picked the name."

"Oh, I think we should vote or something. I really just came up with some suggestions," Brent's eyes widened.

"You already have a name," Martin picked up the remote control and turned on the TV screen that was attached to the wall. "And a logo."

"Whoa," Adam hadn't expected the image he saw on the screen but he liked it immediately. It was solid black on a black background but somehow the band's name stood out.

"That's fucking awesome," Jimmy looked as impressed as Adam felt.

"Watch the language," Martin warned. "We keep it G rated."

"Sorry. Does that say complex?" Tyler squinted.

Adam frowned. Sure enough, that was the name in the logo. He liked the design so much he hadn't noticed it was kind of a weird name and for some reason there was an extra x at the end. Complexx.

"Our marketing team picked it," Martin explained. "What do you think?"

"I don't know," Brent looked like he wanted to say more but he didn't. "The black is really nice."

"I don't get it," Jimmy answered. Martin looked at Adam.

"I um," Adam glanced at the other boys and then at the logo again. "I think there's maybe a typo."

"No, I think they did that on purpose," Tyler snorted.

"Do we get a choice?" Brent asked.

"I don't want to say no, but at this point it's kind of a done deal," Martin shook his head. "You can change the color if you'd like."

"How do you say it? Complex? Or complexxxxxxxxx?" Tyler asked.

"Just like the word," Martin answered. "Can we move on? We have a lot to cover."

Adam could tell from the looks on the other boys' faces that they weren't sure about the name either. But Jeff had warned them that Martin got to make the decisions, so it didn't seem like there was any point to arguing.

"Your first album comes out in three months," Martin passed around a packet of sheet music and lyrics. "Memorize these as fast as you can. Three months sounds like a lot of time but it really isn't."

"Are we going to get to write our own songs at all?" Brent looked a little sad as he flipped through the lyrics.

"Maybe," Martin looked at Jeff and Monroe. "If not for this album, we can work on the next one."

"If you have songs ready, we can show them to the producer later," Monroe offered. "He'll let us know if there's time to get them on this first album."

"That would be really great," Brent nodded. Adam stared at his packet to keep himself from staring at Brent. He'd actually written his own songs? That was really impressive. Adam had never met anyone who could do that before.

"We've added auditions to the schedule for next week. I know we're all sick of it, but we've gotta find the right fit," Martin went on. "I don't want to pull you all out of boot camp-"

"Boyband boot camp," Tyler snorted.

"That's what we call it," Martin nodded. "So we'll take either Brent or Adam. If a guy can match one of them, he's in."

"Is that really all we care about anymore?" Jeff groaned.

"Hey, I might know someone," Tyler offered.

"Yes, at this point I just need to focus on sound quality," Martin didn't seem to hear Tyler.

"He worked with the same vocal coach as me. He's only 14 but we sang together a few times," Tyler went on. "He's got a good voice."

"You're not the one who has to live with your decision," Jeff shook his head. "You won't be on the road with them."

"Or not," Tyler shrugged. Adam looked at Monroe but he was looking at his phone so Adam nudged Jeff.

"Sorry, Adam," Jeff sighed. "What's up?"

"Tyler knows someone," Adam told him. "From his same vocal coach."

"Sure, invite all your friends," Martin rolled his eyes. "Have him come to the audition. Tuesday at 7. He gets one shot."

For some reason, Adam felt like he was in trouble. Why was Martin so annoyed? All the adults seemed so cranky. It didn't make much sense.

They spent the rest of the afternoon with their vocal coaches, learning the songs for their first album. Adam felt like he should pinch himself every time he thought about the fact he was going to be recording an album. It was so surreal he could barely wrap his head around it.

Even if he was grouchy, Martin was right that the time went a lot faster than it seemed like it would. Their days were packed and Adam found himself wishing he could just go ahead and finish school so they'd have more time to spend working. He'd never imagined finding something he loved so much that he wanted to spend all his time doing it but singing was definitely that thing for him.

As it turned out, Tyler was right about the guy he knew from his vocal coach. Zack became the fifth and final member of Complexx - a name Adam was still trying to accept. He didn't hate it, but it didn't feel like it was theirs. Zack fit in better than Jimmy, at least in Adam's opinion. He was always full of energy and excited about everything.

One morning, Adam woke up with a warm, wet feeling spreading through his bed. He threw his covers back to find a sticky, creamy mess and it was everywhere. There was no hiding it.

To make matters worse, Jeff and Monroe were already up so Adam had to carry his soiled sheets past them.

"Hey, Sylvia is coming later today, you don't have to do that," Monroe looked up from his coffee.

"Uh, I think this time I should," Adam didn't want to have to explain why he didn't want their cleaning lady handling his sheets but his glowing red face seemed to be all the explanation they needed.

"Got it," Jeff grinned. "Remember those days, Roe?"

"All too well," Monroe was smiling too. "Do you at least remember what you were dreaming about?"

"No," Adam sighed.

"Ugh, that's the worst!" Jeff groaned.

"Right?" Monroe agreed. "Man, I actually can't think how long it's been since the last time that happened to me."

"Don't embarrass him," Jeff scolded.

"No, I just must have spent too much time jacking off," Monroe shrugged.

"I, uh, they told me not to," Adam confessed. "At church. They said it, um, stuff could go wrong if you did it too much."

"Nothing is going to go wrong," Jeff rolled his eyes. "Do whatever you want."

"We won't tell," Monroe winked.

Adam wasn't sure what to think of that advice but he didn't particularly like trying not to touch himself so he figured it couldn't hurt. As long as he didn't do it too much. He'd done it before he moved in with his Dad and nothing ever went wrong so he had a feeling Jeff was right.

That day they met with the band's social media manager. Adam knew right away that Tyler was going to be the one to cause trouble.

"So you're going to post stuff for us?" he kept asking. "Will we get to see it before you post it or no?"

"Not really, but it would just be promotional things. Check out the new single, see us on TV tonight," Kerri explained.

"So what if I just change my password?" Tyler asked.

"Don't do that," Kerri shook her head. "Please. We're doing this for your own good."

"Dude, we're gonna have people to do everything for us," Jimmy spoke up. "Do you know how good a deal this is? Seriously."

"It's my stuff though," Tyler made a face. "If I want to go on there and tell everyone to fuck off I should be allowed to."

"I'll lock you out of the account and tell everyone it's fake," Kerri crossed her arms. "If this is going to be a problem for you, tell me now. I'll make you all brand new accounts and have those verified."

"No, it's fine," Tyler huffed. "Snapchat too?"

"You don't have snapchat."

"Yeah...we all do," Jimmy looked around.

"Except Adam," Brent spoke up.

"Listen to me very carefully," Kerri looked at them. "You do not have Snapchat. The band has one official Snapchat account. You will not ever admit to having personal snapchat accounts or post anything on them that reveals who you are."

"Mine is my name," Brent said.

"Lock it down," Kerri ordered.

The whole rest of the conversation went the exact same way. For every social account in existence, Kerri wanted complete control of theirs. She kept insisting it was to protect them and that it was what was best for the band. Just as Tyler was about to lose it, Jeff came in.

"Hey, I have exciting news," Jeff interrupted before Tyler could yell. "We'll be able to get two of Brent's songs on your first album."

"No way," Brent looked stunned. "Are you serious?"

"Totally and completely serious," Jeff said. "The producer loves them. Congratulations."

Adam tried to fight back his smile as he watched Brent processing the news but Brent started smiling so hard that Adam couldn't help but join in. It was the first good thing that happened all day.

As it turned out, it was really the only good thing that happened that day. They practiced with Zack for the first time that afternoon and it was a lot harder working with 5 voices than it was with 3 and 4. When they left for the day, Adam was ready to take a whole week off instead of just a day.

"Mr. Jeff!" Sylvia shouted as soon as they got home.

Adam wasn't sure what to think of Jeff and Monroe's cleaning lady. He'd never met anyone who spoke a foreign language before and neither of his parents ever hired people to work in their homes. The idea of having enough money to pay someone to clean up after you was staggering.

Sylvia continued shouting at Jeff in Spanish so Adam had no idea what was happening. Monroe took one look at him and started laughing.

"Don't look so scared, she's mad at Jeff, not you," Monroe explained. "She's upset about the holes in your clothes."

"Oh, but-"

"Shh, this is a good thing," Monroe didn't let him speak. "Jeff is promising her we'll fix it."

"Did my Dad send you money?" Adam asked.

"Well, not exactly," Monroe frowned. "It's a little complicated. Since you're underage, even though your checks have your name on them, you have to have a parent's permission to take money out of your bank account. He sent us about $100, which will cover your groceries but nothing else."

"My paycheck was more than that," Adam's stomach twisted. "He's keeping my money?"

"I'm sure he's just trying to make sure you don't waste it on video games or something," Monroe smiled but Adam knew that wasn't true at all.

"So no new clothes this month," Adam realized.

"Yeah, I'm gonna get you new clothes," Monroe made a face. "Sorry, kid, I'm sick of seeing the same three ratty shirts."

"But-"

"It's company money, don't worry about it. We've talked about this, right? How part of being in the boy band is having a certain image?"

"Well, yeah," Adam knew they'd gone over that before but that didn't make him feel better - at all. Why would his dad take his money?

"Besides, soon enough you'll have companies throwing free clothes and stuff at you," Monroe smiled. "Just wait, Adam. These days will be a memory soon enough."

As much as Adam wanted to believe that, he had a hard time accepting it that night. The next day, Monroe took Adam shopping and once Monroe figured out what sizes Adam wore there was no stopping him. Adam could barely get his closet door to shut.

"Are you ready for this?" Brent asked when he greeted Adam at the front door of his house the night of the Maddox Bieber concert.

"I hope so," Adam hadn't expected Brent's house to be almost as big as Jeff and Monroe's. He knew the other boys' families had more money than his family but nothing like the Masters family.

"Right? We'll never be ready," Brent sighed. "Come on, I have to finish homework or Mom thinks she can stop me from going."

"Can and will," Brent's mom came out of the kitchen with a big bowl of popcorn. "I made you boys a snack. Dinner will be ready soon and then we need to leave so Brennie you better hurry."

"Ahh, I am dying!" Brent gasped. He took the popcorn from his mom and handed it to Adam. "Come on, let's go!"

"Thank you, Mrs. Masters," Adam made sure to smile at her before he followed Brent up the stairs.

"Door open, Brent!" Mrs. Masters called after them.

"Adam is straight, Mom!"

"Door open!"

"That's like exactly what I'd say if I wanted to make out with you," Adam pointed out. Brent stopped and turned to look at Adam.

"Would you really lie about being gay just to make out with a girl?" Brent asked.

"No," Adam shook his head. "Wait, well, I don't know. I'm not sure."

"Adam," Brent broke into a smile. His whole face lit up when he smiled, like there was a bright light in him trying to shine out of his eyes. "Have you ever even kissed a girl?"

"Golly, yeah, I have," Adam sighed. "It's just that it was a surprise so I wasn't ready. I promise next time I'll know it's going to happen and I'll like it."

"Dude, you kissed a girl and didn't even like it?" Tyler leaned out of Brent's bedroom. Adam felt a wave of disappointment wash through him but he wasn't sure why. He knew the whole band was going to the show together that night so it only made sense that Tyler would be there. But did that mean Tyler and Brent hung out a lot? Like without Adam?

"I just said that I wasn't ready," Adam shrugged. "I didn't know she was going to do it, so it was weird. And like... slimy."

"Sounds like she was a bad kisser," Brent made a face.

"Maybe, or maybe Adam has a different type," Tyler gave Brent a look.

"I'm not gay," Adam insisted.

"No one said that," Brent laughed. "Tyler meant like maybe you like blondes better or whatever, right, Ty?"

"Yeah, or you know, people with a little more happening downstairs than upstairs if you know what I mean," Tyler grinned, taking the bowl of popcorn.

"I'm not," Adam repeated.

"Leave him alone, he doesn't get your jokes," Brent shoved Tyler. "He means-"

"Nah, Adam got it," Tyler shoved a handful of popcorn in his mouth. "I wasn't talking about ass versus tits."

"You're so rude," Brent shook his head.

"Whatever, is dinner ready? I finished your homework, I was bored of watching you do it," Tyler crammed more popcorn in his mouth.

"You did not!" Brent gasped. "Tyler!"

"Tell me you wanted to do it," Tyler laughed. "Go ahead. Look me in the face and say, 'Tyler, I love homework so much I'd do extra.'"

"You're gonna get me in trouble," Brent frowned.

"No one will ever know," Tyler shrugged. "Adam won't tell."

"I won't," Adam agreed.

"Said the boy who wouldn't lie to get some makeout time," Brent rolled his eyes. "Ugh, whatever. This will get me to the concert tonight. I'll copy it over when we get back."

They had dinner with Brent's parents and his younger sister, Libby. Adam wasn't sure how much more perfect Brent's life could get. Both his parents seemed to love each other and they definitely both loved their kids. Brent's dad had even tried pulling every string he could to get Meet and Greet tickets but had no luck.

Jeff had tried too but even with Martin calling Scooter Braun personally they weren't able to get in. Adam was disappointed but strangely relieved. He couldn't imagine talking to Maddox let alone standing close enough for a picture together.

"Ugh, Meet and Greets would have been so good," Libby moaned as they rode with Brent's mom to the show.

"I bet the next time Maddox goes on tour, Brent will be able to get you Meet and Greet tickets for any show you want," Mrs. Masters smiled.

"By the time Dax tours again, Brent will be able to get Dax to sit on his face," Tyler mumbled.

"Tyler!" Brent shouted.

"Sweetie, please don't yell while I'm driving."

Adam tried not to laugh and when he thought about seeing Maddox and Brent together, he didn't feel like laughing anymore. He'd pretended not to notice that Brent had a poster of Maddox on his bedroom ceiling. The idea that Brent might actually be in love with Maddox was too much to handle. Seeing them together would be...sad? Did he really feel sad about it?

That question rattled around Adam's mind as they sat in traffic getting to the Staples Center. What did it mean that he was sad over how much Brent loved Maddox? Was he sad because it was a sin? Or was he sad because he was...jealous? Could he be jealous?

He thought back to how he'd felt when he saw Tyler at Brent's house. He was definitely jealous if they were hanging out without him. But that was just because he wanted to be friends with Brent, right?

Adam couldn't remember ever having a real friend. Maybe when he was little he had but after moving in with his dad he hadn't really gotten close to anyone. He knew kids from school and church that were nice to him, but no one he would ever spend time with away from church activities.

In the back of Adam's mind he kept remembering Tyler's face when he said maybe Adam had a different "type." Did Tyler know something Adam didn't? But Brent seemed so sure...Brent would know, wouldn't he? Since he was actually gay himself?

Everyone in the car cracked up and Adam was jerked out of his thoughts. Brent looked at him, laughing and Adam smiled automatically. Seeing Brent happy made him happy. He knew that much. So maybe he needed to get over being jealous of Maddox. After all, it wasn't like they were actually going to meet Dax. Maybe not ever.

Adam hadn't been to a concert before but he'd been to Christian conferences with his dad and stepmom so the crowd getting into the venue wasn't anything new. Everyone was so excited and full of energy.

"Dudes, this is what it's gonna be like at our shows," Jimmy insisted. He and Zack were already waiting when they got to their spots. "Hot damn we're gonna get a shit ton of pussy. Or dick," he nudged Brent.

"We're probably gonna be too busy actually working to get any," Brent made a sad face.

"It's not like it takes that long," Tyler laughed.

"Depends," Brent grinned.

"Yeeeaaaahhhh," Jimmy laughed. Then he looked at Adam. "Virgin?"

"Yeah," Adam shrugged.

"That's okay, Zack is too," Jimmy nodded at the younger boy.

"I'm gonna fix that though," Zack insisted. "Girls will be lining up. Guys too."

"Dream big," Tyler snorted. Adam felt his phone buzz.

"Hey, um, Monroe wants a picture of us together," Adam read the text. Only Brent was listening.

"Guys," Brent got their attention. He took Adam's phone for a group selfie before passing it back.

Adam sent Monroe the picture and a few minutes later, the crowd near them started to get really loud. At first Adam didn't know what was happening and then Brent grabbed his arm. Adam looked where Brent was looking and saw a security guard coming toward them.

"Oh golly," Adam breathed. What had Monroe done?

"Will you 7 please come with me?" he pointed to each of the boys, Brent's mom and his sister.

"Are we in trouble?" Brent asked.

"Consider this an upgrade," the security guard leaned in close before he said it, smiling at them. "Come on."

"Oh my god, this is not happening," Brent whispered as they followed the security guard past the barriers and behind a curtain to a large open space.

"Welcome to the VIP area. It's quiet now, but I promise it'll be packed by the time Dax goes on," the guard smiled at them. "Have fun."

"What just happened?" Tyler asked.

"Get used to it boys," Jimmy smirked, as if he expected this kind of thing would happen to them all the time.

"I can't breathe," Brent whispered. "Is that..." he didn't finish his question as Scooter Braun himself came through a different set of curtains and walked right to them.

"Hey guys," Scooter shook each of their hands. "I heard one of your songs today. Can't wait to hear the album."

"T-thank you," Tyler was the first to speak.

"Sorry we can't get you backstage tonight but I promise we'll set something up, okay? Justin wants to meet you too," Scooter smiled. "Now that we're back home we'll have some time."

"That would be awesome," Jimmy agreed.

"Great. Enjoy the show," Scooter shook their hands again.

"Thank you so much," Brent told him. "This is everything."

It really was. Adam hadn't paid much attention to the stage or what all the tech people were doing to get ready but now that they were so close he did. A few times he thought he recognized Maddox's older sister, Kylie, darting around with a camera.

After that it all seemed to happen very fast. The opening act wasn't anyone Adam had heard of and he was good but Adam was too excited to pay much attention. As the security guard promised, the VIP section filled up as the lights went down before Dax took the stage. Adam didn't even recognize everyone but Brent kept nudging him and pointing to faces he knew from the internet.

"AHHH that's Dax's mom!!" Brent grabbed Adam's arm again. "Oh my god, I'm going to pass out. She's gorgeous! I never realized how much Dax looks like her!"

"Brent," Adam reached for Brent's hand. "I think I see Justin."

"Oh my god, oh my god."

Sure enough, when the lights came up, Justin was standing there with his arms around Clara. It was the most surreal moment of Adam's life - right until Brent started screaming and Adam realized Maddox was rising out of the ground.

The show was unbelievable and over in a heartbeat. Adam couldn't take his eyes off Maddox. Not even to see Brent's reaction. He wanted to see and hear everything Maddox was doing. Even with a broken arm, Maddox was captivating.

"I don't even know how to feel right now," Brent sighed when the lights came on after the show. "I'm so glad I get to come back tomorrow night."

"That's gonna be us," Adam couldn't even imagine how he could ever measure up. Martin kept insisting they were going to be huge, just as big as the major boybands in the past. But after seeing Maddox, Adam had no idea how they could pull that off.

"Pshh, we'll be 5 times better," Jimmy insisted.

"It doesn't get better than that!" Brent argued.

"I mean, did you see who was in the VIP tonight?" Tyler pointed out. "We'll be lucky if we get that."

"Nah, come on, this was kid stuff," Jimmy wouldn't give up.

By the time they left, Brent wasn't speaking to Jimmy anymore. Since they were standing in VIP they were escorted out of the building ahead of the crowds. Monroe and Jeff were waiting to pick him up when they got back to Brent's house.

"So how was it?" Monroe demanded.

"Just tell him," Jeff rolled his eyes.

"We're going again tomorrow night!" Monroe cheered. "Scooter loved the song, he's already talking about having you guys work with Dax on a song."

"Oh wow," Adam felt lightheaded even though he was sitting safely in the backseat.

"I know!" Monroe didn't notice at all. "It's all happening, Adam."

"Are we even good enough for that?" Adam had to ask.

"Of course you are! Don't let all the lights and sparkle intimidate you, Adam," Monroe assured him. "By the time you perform live like that you'll be just as impressive. Besides, the one time we met Maddox he was such a sweetheart. He's a little like you when he's offstage, honestly. Quiet and sort of shy."

"Maddox Bieber is not shy," Adam knew all at once he was going to be sick. "Can we stop the car?"

"Uh-oh," Jeff pulled over just in time.

"Did I make you nervous?" Monroe asked. Adam was too sick to answer.

"Roe, he's burning up," Jeff had his hand on Adam's forehead. "Pass me your water."

"Oh no," Monroe made a clucking sound with his tongue.

They took him home and, despite the late hour, Monroe brought him Gatorade and checked his temperature. Adam did have a fever and had to get up a few more times that night to be sick. Every single time, Monroe came racing down the hall to check on him, stuffing him full of saltines and watered down Gatorade.

Adam couldn't even remember the last time he'd been so sick. He got to the point where he was so delusional and tired he just wanted to lie on the bathroom floor. Monroe got him up and back in bed, sitting with him the rest of the night.

"I'm not buying you a baby just because you spent all night with a sick 17 year old," Jeff whispered when he came in around 6 to check on them.

"Don't pretend you weren't as worried as me," Monroe kissed him. "I know you love him just as much as I do."

"Is he alright though?"

"I think the worst is over," Monroe was quiet after that. Adam waited a few seconds before he started moving to see if they would say anything else. When he opened his eyes, Jeff was gone and Monroe was still sitting in the chair.

"Monroe?" Adam's voice sounded awful and raspy.

"What can I get you? Have a drink."

"You don't have to stay with me," Adam told him once he'd taken a sip of his Gatorade. "I think I'm just going to sleep now."

"I don't mind at all," Monroe shook his head. "Jeff's going to handle everything at the studio today."

"You're missing work?"

"So are you."

"Why?" Adam struggled to sit up but Monroe had to help him.

"Because you're sick, you need me," Monroe made it sound like that was obvious. "Didn't your parent stay with you when you were sick?"

"Never," Adam shook his head. "When I was little my mom used to put the trashcan near me before she left for work. I never really got sick when I lived with my dad."

"Your mom left you home alone?"

"Yeah, it was our secret. If anyone asked I was supposed to say Miss Ruby watched me because usually she put Ruby and Max on TV for me. I know it was wrong but at the time I felt like it was our special thing."

"Do you miss her?"

"All the time," Adam admitted. "She got real bad toward the end but when she had good days I felt like," he had to swallow and prayed he wouldn't start crying. "I felt like maybe if she could just get clean once and for all she could be a real good mom. She loved me a lot she just...loved meth a little more."

"Aw, Adam," Monroe hugged him super tight. "She didn't love meth more, I promise. I bet she hated it and just couldn't break the addiction."

"That's not what my dad said."

"I don't want to say anything bad about your father," Monroe let go. "But I think he and I disagree about a lot of things."

"That's very true," Adam still felt like crying. "Um, thank you for taking care of me."

"You're welcome. Anytime," Monroe smiled. "If you really don't mind, I think I will go take a nap."

"Yeah, please," Adam nodded. Monroe gave him another hug and left. Adam reached for his phone to see if he had any texts.

There were a bunch from Brent, mostly about the concert and then a few saying he'd just heard Adam was sick and hoped he felt better. Then there was one from his dad.

Dad: cancelling your phone from our plan. Mindy needs the spot for Annabelle Anne.

Dad: tell the faggots to get you a company phone. praying for you to stay strong and show them their sin.

Adam managed to curl up before he finally broke down. How was it possible that Jeff and Monroe were better dads to him than his own father was? Even if he hadn't heard Monroe say it to Jeff, he would have known how much they loved him just because they were so kind to him all the time. No one had ever cared for Adam like Monroe did. And yet he was supposed to be sinner?

He couldn't reply to his dad, not right away. Besides, what would he say besides something that would get him in trouble? Especially since his first thought was to ask exactly what his 10 year old step-sister would do with a cell phone. Instead, Adam cried himself to sleep, wishing he didn't have to wait another 6 months until he turned 18.

----------------------------------

A/N: I am loving Adam way more than I thought I would.  Eli is my baby but I guess I'd forgotten how sweet Adam was. Ahhh we have such a long way to go with this story. I know I'll end up skipping ahead at certain points and cutting other stuff but the original version of Haunted was 115 chapters so...yeah. 

Speaking of Haunted, it's updated too and this chapter is the first one that has major plot changes. So my Dax fans should check that out too :) <3 you all!

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

9.5K 182 26
Justin Williams is your all perfect popular jock. He has everything one could ask wether it's money, fame or face. What he doesn't have is the person...
884K 24.2K 56
Baba- This is soon to be Alpha in the Blue Moon Star's. After he finds and claims his mate that is. Baba is straight with a girl wolf. His birthday i...
114K 3.7K 38
Andrew is a seventeen year old orphan. He's parents died in a car accident two months ago. He is currently staying at an all boy orphanage, with no l...
6K 554 42
Some people know who they are, but they are so worried about how people will react to their true selves they pretend who they are. Eli was one of the...