Dust Clears

Adam wasn't sure what to expect when he and Cole got to Maddox and Brent's house for Christmas but he was greeted by the most beautifully decorated house he'd ever seen. In true Maddox style, you'd never have guessed by looking that there were already 10 adults, 5 kids, 2 toddlers and one infant in the house because it was still perfectly clean and tidy.

"Last chance. We can back out now and spend tomorrow with your parents instead," Cole offered. Adam gave him a look.

"Jeff and Monroe know we're having Christmas with them on the 26th," Adam reminded him. "We're not going anywhere."

"No, we're not," Cole's expression changed and Adam turned to see Brent carrying Chloe out to greet them.

"Hi," Brent hugged them both and left Chloe in Adam's arms. "We're going to let you two take a guestroom in the pool house."

"Perfect," Cole wasn't even looking at Brent anymore. He was too busy smiling at Chloe. She smiled back at him, her eyes sparkling. It was almost heartbreaking how much she looked like Cole when she smiled. "Hi there, trouble."

"Go go," a little voice insisted and Adam looked away from Chloe to see Clay run-walking in their direction.

"Careful!" Eli warned. He was holding Clay's hand but Clay was nearly walking on his own. It was easy to see he was still pretty unsteady.

"Hey," Adam had to smile at the two of them. Whatever struggles Eli had, Adam still didn't really know the story, he seemed to be back to his normal self again. He finally acted exactly how Adam had imagined Eli would be as a dad.

"Hey!" Eli's face seemed to light up when he saw them. Cole nudged Adam and Adam pinched him. "Merry Christmas!"

Clay shouted something that sounded a lot like Merry Christmas without managing to say either word correctly. This prompted the kids to come running out to see who was at the door. They all came over and gave Adam and Cole hugs before most of them ran back to whatever they were doing. Hannah and Maddox's nephew, Wes, stayed, watching.

"Are you gonna bring our stuff in?" Adam looked at Cole.

"I'll get it later. I smell food," Cole gave Chloe a kiss on the cheek and grabbed Hannah, making her giggle, before he carried her into the kitchen.

"Dax and his mom and Hunter are cooking enough food to feed us for all of next year," Brent laughed. "Right, Wes?"

"Yeah, I eat a lot but this is way more than I could eat," Wes nodded.

The house seemed to be in total chaos until after dinner. Everyone sat down in the family room while the youngest were put to bed. Wes crawled up on the couch between Adam and Cole, complaining that his stomach hurt.

Justin read everyone the Christmas story from the children's bible. Adam watched Cole, absently stroking Wes' hair and listening. It was such a perfect moment that Adam couldn't help but imagine what it would be like if he and Cole could have their own kids. He pushed the thought aside and put his head on Cole's shoulder.

When the story finished, Justin surprised Adam by asking if anyone wanted to say a prayer before they went to bed. Brent jumped up but Aiden beat him to it. It was the best way to end the night. Aiden and Scarlett didn't have to be told to get to bed after that but some of the other kids were slower.

"Come on, Wes," Kylie came over to the couch like she wanted to reach between Adam and Cole and physically carry him to bed. "The sooner you go to sleep the sooner Santa will be here."

"Just a few more minutes," Wes pleaded.

"Do you want Adam and Cole to take you to your bed?" Kylie offered.