Come On

Christmas came and went and Adam found himself packing for yet another world tour. He'd expected to have more time before the band toured again but the schedule only worked if they left in January and even so, Adam and Cole would still be touring at the same time.

"I still cannot believe you spent Christmas with his family two years in a row," Monroe fussed to Adam one afternoon on the tour bus. "I know you're not really my child but I think it would only be fair to alternate."

"You'd better get used to it, Dad," Jeff teased. "I have a feeling we've been B-listed."

"We can spend, um, flag day with you," Adam offered. The look on Monroe's face was one Adam wanted to remember forever. Everyone on the bus cracked up, laughing hysterically as the story spread through the rest of the bus.

"Hey," Cole came over to sit with them. "Father's Day is all yours. In all seriousness."

"Oh," Monroe got very quiet.

"Thank you, Cole, you have no idea what that means to us," Jeff put his arm around Monroe.

"I have some idea," Cole shrugged. "I'm sorry to steal Adam from you, I really am. If we could talk my mom into moving to California then maybe we could work it out."

"Why doesn't she live closer?" Adam suddenly realized how weird that was. Cole's mom was wrecked every time one of their visits ended and Adam didn't blame her. But if she kept thinking every time she saw her son was the last why wouldn't she move to the same state if not the same town?

"Like I said, we have to talk her into it," Cole gave Adam a look. Adam figured that meant he would explain later, when they could talk alone.

Cole stayed on tour with Adam for as long as he could. He flew back to L.A. for work but never left Adam for longer than a week. As much as Adam loved it, he couldn't help but feel nervous about what that meant. Was Cole just around because he wanted to be or because he was scared they were running out of time?

To make things worse, Adam kept catching Cole ending his phone calls as soon as Adam walked in. He never said anything that helped Adam relax either - it was always an abrupt end, like Cole knew Adam was about to walk in at any second. Adam tried to ask but Cole always changed the subject before he gave a real answer. It didn't help that Cole wouldn't let the doctor who visited the band while they were on tour do any of his regular blood tests.

Adam found himself creeping around, hoping he might finally hear enough of a phone call to know if Cole was talking to a doctor and which one. Cole was never fooled. He always knew the second Adam walked into a room.

"You look as sad as I feel," Cole said the next time Adam caught him on the phone. "I have so much to catch up on, Justin wants me to stay home for two weeks this time."

"Really?" Adam really wanted to believe it was work and not something else.

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay," Adam went to sit on Cole's lap. "I'm going to miss you a lot."

"I'll miss you too. Wanna go out tonight?"

"No."

"Wanna go anyway?"

"Why?" Adam put his head on Cole's shoulder.

"I need some good memories to get me through two weeks. We can find a friend for the night."

"I'll get dressed," Adam got up immediately, earning a laugh from Cole.

"You're the best. I love you so much."

"I love you too," Adam paused to look at him. "Are you okay?"

"Actually, I'm kind of fantastic now that I'm thinking about tonight," Cole grinned. "It's been way too long since we had this kind of fun."