Shatter Me

The weeks passed and Eli kept waiting to get used to the fact his husband was never around. He'd thought, stupidly, it might get easier over time, no matter how many times Maddox and Justin and everyone he talked to told him it didn't. Of course they were all right.

Maddox was also right that he and Brent were fine. As time passed they seemed more in love than ever and Eli found himself jealous of their relationship again. He knew it wasn't as perfect as they made it look but it was awfully hard to remember that.

Eli woke up one night to a strange sound. He turned on the light next to his bed and listened - it sounded like someone was in the apartment. His heart jumped into his throat as the bedroom door opened. After living alone so many years he'd gotten over his fear of having someone break into the apartment but that night it felt more real than Eli had ever felt it before.

"Hi," Hunter peeked around the door then came the rest of the way into the room. "I was trying not to wake you, I'm sorry."

"What are you doing here?" Eli climbed out of bed to hug him. "You scared me to death."

"I'm sorry, I had a chance to come back and I jumped on it," Hunter kissed him. "Oh my god, it's so good to be here. I've missed you so damn much, Eli."

"I missed you too," Eli relaxed into Hunter's arms. "Unbelievably."

"I was starting to wonder if I'd ever get to come home. Ugh, look how tan you are. I feel chubby and pale," Hunter laughed, stepping back. "All we ever get to eat is takeout. I haven't had a home cooked meal since I left."

"You don't look chubby, you look good," Eli tried to get his arms around Hunter again but Hunter moved away.

"Not like I did when I left, that's for sure. Get back in bed, Babe, I'll be right there."

Eli was too wired to go back to sleep but he got in bed anyway and watched while Hunter set out an outfit for the next day. Hunter changed out of his clothes and into pajama pants before getting in bed with Eli.

"I love you," Eli smiled as Hunter leaned over to kiss him.

"I love you too. God it feels good to be here," Hunter put his arm around Eli's waist. "I am going to sleep so unbelievably well."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, I hate sleeping in a hotel bed. Especially when I knew you were here all alone."

"I didn't like it much either."

"No one ever could. Mmm, I may just take my time on this case so I don't have to go back to D.C. for a long, long time."

"Fine with me," Eli smiled.

Over the next few days, all of Eli's second thoughts and worries seemed to vanish. Having Hunter home made everything feel okay again. He felt a little silly for ever doubting his husband when he was coming home every night and making candlelit dinners - or baths, if Hunter was stuck working past dinner time. Hunter was so romantic it almost felt like they were back to their dating days.

"Okay, you went from doing nothing but watching TV all day to suddenly being so busy you can't even come see your best friend," Eli pointed out when he let Maddox into the apartment that day.

"I know, I'm sorry," Maddox grinned. "It's all about to change though."

"Oh, really?" Eli asked as they reached the kitchen.

"Yeah, what are you doing?" Maddox gestured to Eli's computer.

"Looking at apartments," Eli sighed. "We're going to get a smaller place before I start school since Hunter will be the only one working."