The Morning After

"You're doing what?"

Eli had never seen Maddox look at him the way he was in that moment. It was almost like he felt betrayed.

"I'm moving in with Adam," Eli knew how crazy it sounded. "It makes a lot of sense in some ways. I have to sell the house, I want to get Clay settled somewhere permanent, and this way I can be there for Adam. This will be good."

"But what about Cole?" Maddox's eyes welled up just saying his name. He didn't start crying, but Eli had a feeling if he said the wrong thing that would be enough.

"You know Cole. It was his idea," Eli shrugged. "Of course, he seems to think that means he'll get to see me with Adam. He doesn't know we've agreed to stop messing around."

"You have?" Maddox looked like that only made things worse.

"Yes. We're waiting until we're both single."

"I mean, that's good. But living together is a huge step, Eli. Are you really going to go from being married to living with another guy?"

"I know, it's really a lot."

"Is it really good for Clay to get used to having Cole around?"

"That's the hardest part," Eli took a deep breath. "I've talked to his pediatrician and she referred me to a grief counselor for little kids. I can give you her number if you want."

"Yeah, that's a good idea," Maddox started blinking faster but he managed to hold it together.

"I know it sounds crazy, I really do. Just remember this has been going on for years, a lot longer than you've known about it."

"Right, yeah. Well, I guess, let me know if you need help packing or whatever."

In the end, Eli had a much bigger struggle keeping Cole from hiring people to pack up Eli's house for him. And keeping Cole from going overboard in setting up Clay's new bedroom. And keeping Cole and Adam both from spoiling Clay relentlessly with new toys and clothes.

"Please, I know you want to give him presents, but it's better to keep as much of his old stuff as possible," Eli insisted. "He needs to see his old toys and furniture too."

"We're not returning the swingset," Cole insisted. "He needs a place to play to keep him away from the pool."

"That's fine," Eli agreed, though Adam had reassured him a thousand times that they had a second lock put on the pool gate with an alarm that would alert to all their apple watches in addition to the usual sound if the gate was opened without the passcode.

Moving day was easy. Eli took Clay to Adam and Cole's house to stay with Cole while Adam went with Eli to watch the movers. The realtor was putting a For Sale sign in the yard as the moving van drove away.

"I'm so excited to have you with me," Adam kissed the back of Eli's hand as they followed the moving van to Adam's house.

"I am too. Scared to death, but mostly excited," Eli smiled at him for a second before turning his eyes back to the road. "I can't believe this is really happening. I thought for a while that if Hunter and I did split up that was it for me, like that I would just be on my own. But here we are and I couldn't be more sure of our future together."

"Aw, Eli," Adam squeezed his hand.

"It's true," Eli glanced at him. "I almost don't want to say it but I never thought I would feel like this again."

"I know exactly what you mean. I didn't think I would either, but I do."

There wasn't very much to unpack once the boxes were all carried into the house. Eli was able to get rid of a lot of the furniture he and Hunter bought together. He kept his desk and all of Clay's stuff but Cole and Adam had much nicer furniture than Eli could have afforded so he sold or donated the rest.