"Did you think you could just keep it a secret?"

Clay tried not to seem too happy as he parked the car outside Starbucks and took Bryce inside but he honestly didn't care that Vance followed them the whole way and blocked his car into the parking spot. Not even Bryce's now-permanent pouting mood could ruin the afternoon for him. His parents had not only let him have his car keys back, but they'd let him drive Bryce. Alone. Well, alone-with-Vance-following, but still. It was technically against the rules of his provisional license but that was the minor part of the situation. They trusted him to have car keys.

To celebrate, Clay bought himself and Bryce cake pops to go with their fraps. He thought about bringing his parents drinks but that was a little too much. He didn't want to seem like he was sucking up or anything.

"Thanks for coming with me," Clay tried to tap Bryce's frap with his own, like a toast, but Bryce didn't have a hold on his yet and it just scooted across the counter a little.

"Not like I had anything else to do," Bryce shrugged and took his drink. "I mean-"

"Hmm?" Clay turned to see why Bryce had stopped talking and saw him staring at someone across the store. Nick was there and, of course, he wasn't alone. "Okay, well we have to go right home anyway. Pops is probably hyperventilating."

"They gave us 3 hours," Bryce reminded him, but he looked like he was about to cry. "I'm going to say hi, I have to face him in school anyway."

"O-okay," Clay wasn't sure it was the best idea but Bryce went over anyway. Clay wasn't sure if he should follow or just hang back. He stayed back a little bit, so he wasn't obviously there to watch but when he saw Nick take the guy's hand he got a little closer.

"This is Preston, we met at soccer camp," Nick was saying.

"Great. Well we were just leaving but it was nice to meet you. Bye," Bryce was talking too fast and even if Clay hadn't known the whole story he would have known something was up.

As soon as Bryce was gone, Preston pulled his hand away from Nick.

"Dude, my girlfriend would freak if she saw you do that," Preston shook his head. "He's the one you told me about?"

"Yeah, sorry he just looks so sad and I knew I would-" Nick's eyes widened when Clay walked up.

"He is sad, but he deserves better. Either you tell him you just lied or stay away from him," Clay insisted. "Enjoy the rest of your summer."

Bryce was waiting at the car and shot Clay a look. Clay unlocked the car and got in, starting it so they could have a/c while they talked.

"You'd better not have said anything to him," Bryce huffed.

"I did, sorry, I'm so not good at keeping my mouth shut," Clay shrugged. "I just said you deserve better and he should man up or stay away."

"Neanderthal."

"Gesundheit."

"When does Chloe get back? I'm ready to be ignored again."

"We leave in two days," Clay felt like cheering. Chloe was at ballet camp in Chicago and he missed her so much it hurt. They couldn't even text much because she was busy all day. "I won't ignore you, I just don't think you want to be included, if you know what I mean."

"I wish I didn't know what you mean, and you're right," Bryce sunk down in his seat. "Vance, move already. I want to go home."

Clay put the car in reverse, hoping that would get Vance to move. He wondered for what felt like the hundredth time if putting up with Bryce's mood was anything what it was like putting up with him for the past year. If so, why did he have any friends left?