"I want to believe you."

"Can you say Dada?" Clay was kneeling in front of Bryce in the family room when Adam got home that night. "Or Papa?"

"Bababa," Bryce kept moving his mouth long after he stopped making sounds.

"No, say Dada," Clay corrected. "Like duh duh duh."

"Clay, it's okay," Adam's heart sank when Bryce just stared at Clay with a blank expression on his face, blinking and drooling.

"He can do it," Clay insisted. "Say Hi Dada!"

"Dada," Bryce repeated and then looked at Adam. "Dada."

"Yes! Good job, Bryce," Clay clapped his hands. "Now say Papa."

"Puh," Bryce stood up and held his arms out to Adam. "Dada."

"That's right, that's Dada," Clay jumped up. "Dad, did you hear?"

"I heard," Adam bent to pick up Bryce. "Hi Bryce."

"Dada," Bryce hugged him.

"Yes, I'm your Dada," Adam closed his eyes and felt Clay hugging his legs. When he opened his eyes, Eli was standing in front of him with his phone in his hands. Eli's thumbs were flying over the screen and Adam had a feeling he was posting a picture online.

"Papa, can we keep Bryce forever yet?" Clay was still holding Adam's legs.

"We'll know tomorrow, Big Guy," Eli sighed.

"We will?" Adam met Eli's eyes. The look on his face said more than enough - he didn't want to talk about it in front of Clay.

"Dinner's ready," Eli gestured to the kitchen. "Let's go wash our hands."

"Bryce too!" Clay let go of Adam and ran for the bathroom. "Make Bryce wash too, he touched the dog's butt."

"We've washed his hands twice since then," Eli didn't sound like he was telling Clay that for the first time and Adam had to smile. It was easier than thinking this might be their last night together as a family.

"When did our lawyer call?" Adam asked as they were cleaning up after dinner. Clay was upstairs picking out his pajamas and Bryce was still in his booster seat, drawing pictures in the last bit of pasta sauce on his tray.

"Just before you walked in. We've been offered a settlement," Eli took a deep breath. "He doesn't know what it is, but we'll hear it tomorrow."

"Oh God," Adam wasn't sure what that meant but he didn't like the way it sounded. He'd only ever heard the word used on TV and it usually meant there was money involved.

"I know. We don't have to accept it, we can go to court as planned. He still thinks we'll win if it goes to trial," Eli shrugged and turned to get the rest of the plates off the table. "Whoa, look at our speed demon here!"

"Papa! Look, I found my jammies that have rockets," Clay held up his pajamas as he ran back into the room. "Can I wear these?"

"Hmm, what do you think, Dada?" Eli smiled and handed Adam the last two plates.

"Hmm," Adam had to smile too. Eli was putting on a brave face for Clay's sake but it was helping Adam a lot. "I don't know."

"Please! I haven't worn them all week!" Clay begged.

"Well, since you said please," Adam decided.

"Yes! Thank you, Dad!" Clay threw his arms up in a victory dance. "Can we go to the bath now?"

"Great idea," Eli lifted Bryce out of the booster seat. "Run on up and start the water."

"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!"