"I hate it when you look at me that way"

Clay's heart stopped when he felt a hand on his arm. He spun around, praying it was Chloe. When he saw Hannah's pale face his heart broke all over again.

"What?" He demanded, looking around. They were alone. The bell rang, signaling that classes were starting and He was late.

"I need to talk to you," Hannah's voice was already shaking like she was going to cry.

"No, seriously? Are you crazy? Just no. Leave me alone," Clay knew he was being mean but he had to prove to Chloe he didn't still care about Hannah.

"Please, Clay, it's really important or I wouldn't be late for class," Hannah sniffled. "I know you hate me."

"I don't hate you," Clay snapped. "I just can't be seen with you."

"I know, I," Hannah took a deep breath and let go of his arm. "I'm pregnant."

The word didn't even make sense at first. Clay turned to go to class and made it two steps before it hit him. Pregnant. As in, having a baby. He turned back and saw Hannah standing there, crying without making a sound.

"Wait, really?"

"Yes," Hannah's eyes seemed to be dumping entire buckets of tears at once. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? What? I mean....you really have a..." Clay didn't want to say it but he wasn't sure he knew what was happening. "A you know what in you? Like right here? Now?"

"I took like 9 tests, and Chloe watched," Hannah was shaking.

"Chloe knows? Fuck."

"I had to...I'm so scared, I..." Hannah looked like she might collapse. Clay moved to put his arm around her. She stepped away from him at first but then seemed to give in and let him hug her.

"This is so crazy," Clay didn't know what else to say. "I mean, are you sure? Maybe the tests were broken?"

"I'm sure. It's been two months and we didn't use anything that night, you know? When you-"

"Whoa, wait," Clay pulled back. A little voice in the back of his head told him he was a fucking idiot but he couldn't make all this information make sense. "This is...I did this?"

"Yes, Clay, that's why I'm telling you," Hannah had the worst look on her face. She looked shattered, just like Chloe was when he told her he'd cheated. "I have to tell my parents before...well, I don't know. I don't know what to do next or..."

"Your parents. Fuck," Clay felt like crying too. His pulse was throbbing in his ears. He'd done this to her. He'd ruined not just one life but two. Or was it three? Did the...baby...count? He shuddered. A baby. He'd made a baby? He knew that was one reason people had sex but it made no sense that what he'd done with Hannah had caused...this.

"Today, okay? Can you come over?" Hannah was still giving him that look. She seemed so fragile, still so angelic and yet...

"Yeah. I'll be there."

Clay hadn't meant to promise that. He wanted to say no, run screaming in the opposite direction. Every muscle in his body was twitching at him to run, to hit something or someone, to do something. A sick thought ran through him that maybe he could...no, he couldn't. He'd heard falling could end a pregnancy but he'd sooner die than hurt Hannah. Even now.

Hannah backed up, walking away from him and into the girls bathroom. Clay followed but stopped himself. What now? Did he go to class like always? That seemed best. Maybe he was already in class, even, and was just dreaming.

Yes. That was it. He was 100% dreaming, maybe even hallucinating. He hadn't slept much in the past weeks so it only made sense he would fall asleep in class. Maybe his teacher was about to wake him and-