Your Battlefield

"Alright, 30 minute break," Jeff called. "Then we get back in here and finish this damn choreography."

Adam pulled his headphones off and headed right for the catering table. His legs were dying from overuse but they were so close to finished learning the dance for their music video he didn't want to say anything.

Their album was done, tickets for their tour were on sale and their first single was out. Everything was happening so fast, Adam could barely keep up. They had interviews to do every other day and at church that week, someone had come up to him and Brent and asked if they were in "that new boyband."

"Hiiiii," Ainsley was waiting for him outside the dance studio. She handed him a plastic to-go cup. "I thought you could use a protein shake for your recovery."

"Hm?" Adam already had the straw to his lips so he took a sip. It was strawberry flavored, and it tasted really good.

"Protein, it's super good for after a workout," Ainsley nodded.

"Thank you," Adam looked around for Ainsley's manager, Tris, but he didn't see her. "So, um, what are you doing here?"

"Visiting my boyfriend, that's how this works," Ainsley laughed. "You're so cute, you're so new at everything."

"I don't know if that's cute," Adam saw Brent, glaring at him from across the room. "Um, I guess we can walk around or something, maybe."

"Sure," Ainsley took his hand and led him from the room. "So, I really like church."

"Oh, really?" Adam was surprised when Ainsley showed up for church every week, looking 100% like every other girl there. She and Brent's sister seemed to get along too.

But Adam hadn't figured out how to explain everything to Brent, so Brent wasn't exactly speaking to Adam. It had been almost a month since Ainsley and Adam started...whatever it was called...and the longer Adam thought about what to say to Brent the harder it was to explain.

"Yeah, it's fun. I love the music," Ainsley nodded. "I'm totally going to that small group thing with Libby too."

"You know that's for bible study, right?"

"Yeah, I want to get a bible too," Ainsley pulled out her phone. "Wanna take me to buy it? It can be a date."

"Okay," Adam had a feeling bible shopping was exactly the kind of date his dad would approve of. What he didn't know was why Ainsley was so excited about it.

"Are you not into it? You seem like you're into it on Sundays," Ainsley frowned. "Is it just for show?"

"What? No," Adam insisted. "I love church. Well, I love that church. It's so real and like...it feels safe."

"Yeah, totally."

"I'm just surprised you liked it," Adam admitted. "You don't have to."

"I know, but I do."

"You know you can get the bible on your phone, right?"

"Yeah, I have the app, but I want to be able to write in it," Ainsley insisted. "Do you not want me to get into this? Like what's going on?"

"Nothing, no, I guess I'm glad you like it," Adam wasn't sure how to explain it. "I'm just surprised is all. But we can go bible shopping maybe tomorrow? I think I'm going to be here until we finish recording today."

"Yeah, that works," Ainsley nodded. "So...you really are into the whole church thing?"

"Yeah."

"Does that ever get weird? I know not all churches are cool with the whole gay thing."