The Starving Artist: Hunger G...

By LSBeddes

Authors, prep your weapons. Spectators prepare for an epic battle between titans of the writing field. The S... More

So, you want to enter
Meet the Gamemakers: Harrington Octavious
Meet the Gamemakers: Esmeralda Noh
Meet the Gamemakers: Rohe SeNalla
Meet the Gamemakers: Claire Endarhe
An Early Reaping
How to Play
Sponsorships, Task Bonuses and Extensions
S.A. Games Scoring and Entries
**WINNERS OF THE EARLY REAPING**
A Note on Posting Entries
!!! RESERVATIONS !!! -CLOSED-
Links for Tributes and Sponsors
District 1: Female- Cara Everest
District 1: Male- Azrael Thanatos
District 2: Female- Asher Creed
District 2: Male- Lucas Coriellis
District 3: Female- Elysia Ambrose
District 3: Male- Alistair Prague
District 4: Female- Layla Greenthorn
District 4: Male- Percy Cole
District 5: Female- Akari Okada
District 5: Male- Ian Nighy
District 6: Female- Vibia Lightwood
District 6: Male- Izé Locke
District 7: Female- Ember Ross
District 7: Male- Teagan Standards
District 8: Female- Valora Hayes
District 8: Male- Cedar Stockholm
District 9: Female- Caina Sren
District 9: Male- Apollo Barley
District 10: Female- Iris Pond
District 10: Male- Ragnar Wyatt
District 11: Female- Mae Foster
District 11: Male- Demetriot Shields
District 12: Female- Acadia Hart
District 12: Male- Elias Vector
District 13 Female: Wendy Mathews
District 13 Male: Naveen Ahmed
Important Note from the Gamemakers
A Small Change in Plans
Sponsor Silver Lockhearst
Sponsor Ambrose Ward
TASK ONE: THE BEGINNINGS
Task One: Q&A
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE REAPING
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE PARADE
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE INTERVIEW
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE TRAINING
TASK ONE: Scores
TASK ONE: Rankings
**Gamemaker Sponsorship**
TASK TWO: INTO THE MARSH
Task Two: Q&A
Task Two: SPONSORSHIPS
TASK TWO ENTRIES: MOUNTAIN
TASK TWO ENTRIES: JUNGLE
TASK TWO ENTRIES: DESERT
TASK TWO ENTRIES: LAKE
TASK TWO: Scores
TASK TWO: The Rankings
TASK TWO: Voting
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK THREE: ESMERALDA'S MUTTS
Task Three: Q&A
Task Three: Where is Everyone?
TASK THREE ENTRIES: FEMALE TRIBUTES
TASK THREE: Scores
TASK THREE: Ranking
TASK THREE: Voting
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK FOUR: CLAIRE'S BRIGADE
Task Four: Q&A
Task Four: Sponsorships
TASK FOUR ENTRIES
TASK FOUR: Scores
TASK FOUR: The Rankings
TASK FOUR: Final Voting
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK FIVE: ROHE'S CHEMICAL FAIRYTALE
TASK FIVE: TRIBUTES' FAIRYTALES
Task Five: Q&A
Task Five: Quick Note on Voting
ENTRY: The Boy Who Cried "Shark!"
ENTRY: A Cinderella's Tale
ENTRY: Ian and the Giants
ENTRY: A Chicken's Side to the Story
ENTRY: Layla Greenthorn
ENTRY: Naveen Ahmed
Task Five: Scoring
Task Five: Rankings
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK SIX: The End Has Come
ENTRY: Akari Okada
ENTRY: Percy Cole
ENTRY: Ian Nighy
The Victor

TASK THREE ENTRIES: MALE TRIBUTES

74 9 0
By LSBeddes

DISTRICT 1: AZRAEL THANATOS

I stand at the edge of the toxic water surrounding the Cornucopia. The place is desolate — well, it's always been desolate, but it's worse now. The bodies of the tributes who died in the blood bath have been removed, but the eerie silence leaves too much time to remember what happened here.

My feet lead me towards the Cornucopia, and my heart sinks. So much destruction happened here. Some of the deaths were my fault. Mae was my fault. She needed to be killed, of course, but it doesn't make it any easier.

My ally, Cara Everest, is gone. She didn't make it out of the bloodbath like I did. Alone in the middle of the swamp, I let the sadness and guilt I've been pushing away crush me. I drop to my knees and weep. The things I have done here already have caused so much pain.

I don't want to let it change me. I didn't want to become the monster I was once. There is no way to protect anyone here from the sort of being I am.

I suck in a deep breath and stare through blurred vision at the sprawling Cornucopia. There's still some stuff to get here, but I don't know if I can bear to get up just yet. Tears still drip down my cheeks."I'm sorry, Everest. I should've done more." I slam my fist into the ground with a whimper, and more tears come as pain erupts in my knuckles. "I should've done more to keep you safe. We were allies, darn it all!"

I know she can't hear me. But it makes me feel a little better to vent my frustration aloud.

***

I meet up with my ally, Ian, in the mountains. He and the two tributes from 8 have camped out in a small cave a few hours from the swamp and the lake. With a friendly nod, I sit down next to Ian and start dumping out the things I found at the Cornucopia.

They watch in interest as I spread out my array of leaves, berries, and roots. Valora scoots over and picks up the Virginia creeper berries. "These look like tiny blueberries."

Seriously? They're too shiny for that. And not even the right shade of blue. I roll my eyes and go to pull the remaining herbs out of my bag.

Ian clears his throat and starts to say something. "Valora... You shouldn't—"

Then it dawns on me that she's putting it into her mouth. "Don't eat that!" I slap her hand away with a startled gasp.

The berry rolls away from us and sits in the firelight, gleaming maliciously.

"Don't touch any of this. Capiche, Hayes?" I lean closer to her, my eyes narrowing.

She's trembling as she stares at me in fear.

I'm not trying to frighten her. She needs to know she can't touch my stuff safely, though. She's also given me quite the fright. Taking a deep breath, I soften my voice. "Valora, that would've killed you. We don't have antidotes for it here."

Her eyes pool with tears. "Why didn't you say so?"

"Because I didn't think you'd try to eat unidentified plants." My voice raises an octave as I realize how close I came to killing someone by mistake. My hands shake as I collect the berries and rinse them off with some of my water.

She looks away. "I'm sorry."

My tone becomes acidic. "Whatever... I couldn't care less if you kill yourself."

She hangs her head, and Ian speaks up. "She didn't know, Az. Leave her be."

He's right. Of course he is. I'm being a jerk. 8 doesn't have much in the way of plants or wildlife; there's no way she could know. I'm just scared, and I tend to lash out instead of owning up to that fear.

I sigh. "Hayes—" I hesitate because that sounds rude. "Valora... I'm sorry."

Valora nods with a small smile. "Thanks for keeping me from eating it."

"Well, I can't let you kill yourself." I laugh and go back to sorting out the plants.

A howl sounds in the distance.

I look up, and we all stare at the entrance.

"Ian?"

"Yeah?" His voice wavers.

"You didn't mention wolves."

"I don't think that they're wolves. At least, not normal ones." Cedar moves closer to our small fire.

I glare down at the ground. "Just our luck. If we stay quiet, maybe they won't find us."

The howl fades out eerily, and a clear, bell-like voice rings across the mountains.

Everyone goes back to staring out the entrance of the cave.

"What the heck?" Ian stands up. "Which idiot is singing out there? Do they want to kill us?"

I pull Ian back down. "Everyone wants us dead. That's the point of this game. If they want to get themselves killed, so be it. At least we can enjoy the song."

The musical voice flows over us, making me shiver. There aren't any spoken words, but the music pulls at my heart. It brings out my deepest desires. The wish to be loved again. To have a family and a wife someday. It seems to whisper to me that I can have it if I come.

I come to my feet without thinking about it. "I feel like we ought to go check it out, actually..." I mumble, moving towards the entrance.

Ian follows me. "You just said we should stay here."

I shake my head. "I was wrong. We should go find whoever's singing."

Valora gets up and tugs me away from the entrance. "Do you have a death wish?"

I push her away. "The woman wants us to come... She says she can help us."

Cedar frowns. "She singing about a paradise."

"You're all crazy! There's no singing. Just howling." Valora grips my shoulder as I struggle against her. "Tell them, Ian."

Ian comes to stand next to me. "No, Valora. You're crazy. There's someone out there, and they need help."

Valora slaps him. "Snap out of it, Ian! Please." Her voice is high-pitched and shaky.

Why can't she hear the singing? Are we all hearing different things? The sad singing of the woman fogs my thinking, and all I can think is to go. To get to her wherever she is and beg her to give me what I want most.

"Azrael?" Valora's eyes fill with tears as she stands in front of me. "Please. There is no singing, just wolves. You'll get yourselves killed. You have to stop this. Stop them."

I look down at her. Her pretty face is streaked with tears. Her dark hair is tangled from her flight to the mountains, and it frames her face, making her seem paler than before. Her eyes are wide and bright in her delicate face, and tears push past her long lashes.

She clings to me, putting her hands on my shoulders. "Please, don't go out there. I don't care if you're my ally or not. I can't watch you guys die." Her lilting voice drowns out the singing of the other woman for a few moments, and I blink down at her, disoriented as the howling of wolves sounds in the distance.

What happened to the woman? Then the singing returns, and I don't hear any wolves. It must be the stress and Valora's fear getting to me.

"Why do you care, Valora?" I whisper, wiping away her tears.

Her breath catches as she stares up at me. She bites her lip, thinking. "Because I've already killed too many people, and I'm not letting you, Ian, and Cedar get killed chasing after some imaginary singer."I lean down until our foreheads touch and smile. With a purring whisper, I say, "There are no wolves out there, Valora. Just a woman who wants to help us. We're not in any danger, and we can handle whatever comes our way."

She shakes her head and bursts into tears. "P-please don't do this." She turns to Ian as he steps out of the cave. "Ian!" Her voice strangles in her throat. "Ian, please."

Cedar gets up and walks to her. "Val, stay here. It's okay. We'll be fine."

"No, you won't." Valora clings to him. "Cedar, don't let them do it. Stay here with me and help me keep them here too."

Cedar looks down at her and gives her a hug. "If you don't want to come, then don't. We get it."I push past her and grab my gear. Following Ian, I leave the cave and head toward the singing. It's nearby. That much I can tell.

"No!" Valora wails. "You're going to get killed. Come back!"

The three of us ignore her, and she breaks down into hysterical sobbing.

"The singer's nearby." I tell the other two. "Somewhere in this pass."

We walk for about ten minutes, and soon we come across the woman.

She has long, silvery hair. Wide green eyes meet our gazes with steady determination. She steps forward. Her hair sways from side to side, and her blue dress moves around her in swirls. It's tightly fitted with slits up to mid-thigh. Her creamy skin is almost as pale as the snow lying in patches around us. "You came?" Her voice is velvety and soft.

I step forward. "We did. You have a beautiful voice."

She steps closer to me with a coy smile. Looking at me through her pale lashes, she moves even closer. "Thank you."

"You aren't one of the other tributes." Ian pipes up.

"No, I'm not. But I've been here for ages. Ever since they built the arena. It's my home." She runs her fingers along my arms and up to my shoulders. "There are more of us. You could come with us and be safe from this place. None of you would have to die." Her green eyes hold me in their spell. "You could have a wife... A home and kids. That's all you've ever really wanted, isn't it, Azrael?"

Her minty breath fans my face as she stands on tiptoes to look at my expression better. I nod. "It's the only reason I have to live." I whisper, sadness sweeping over me.

"Well, it's a good reason. You could have it with me..." She suggests.

I let my eyes roam over her form. She's sweet and ethereally beautiful. I could see myself raising a family with her and being happy. "I could?" I ask, looking into her bottomless eyes and searching them for any hint of deception.

"Of course. You just have to come with me." She leans up and presses her lips to mine. "That's all it takes to make me yours."

I shake my head. "It's all so fast, though."

"Whatever do you mean?" She smiles.

"I mean, I just met you. You're in an arena where kids are sent to kill each other, and..."

She presses her mouth to mine again. "Don't think about any of that. It doesn't matter."

"The Gamemakers know where I am..." I start to panic and back away.

She pulls me into her, soothing me with her touch. "Azrael, we can get rid of the tracker. You'll be okay. So will the two boys with you. They can live out their own dreams here."

Cedar speaks up. "Thanatos, could you quit kissing her in front of us? You hardly know her. And I want to go home to Tawson. I don't want to stay here."

The woman nods. "I know, Cedar. I know... We've been watching you three. I can get you home to Tawson." She looks over at Ian. "Ian, I can get you home to your family too."

I clear my throat. "How do we know this isn't a trick? How come the Gamemakers don't know about you? They would've found you when the arena was built. You couldn't have snuck in after."

She runs her fingers through my hair. "Why would we trick you? What would we stand to gain through that?"

"You could be one of their mutations." I whisper, trailing my fingers over her delicate mouth.

"We're not." Her eyes are deep and sad.

"They would say that too."

She sighs. "You just have to trust me. Take a step of faith."

I contemplate what she's offering. She seems trustworthy. "I can settle down and find a home with your people?"

She nods.

"Ian and Cedar can go home?"

She nods again.

I let go of the breath I was holding. "Okay. I'll go."

Ian and Cedar smile when I turn to face them. I don't think any of us can believe our luck. But we want it to be true so badly. I push away any doubt. She's trying to help us. I'm sure of it. It's not like the Gamemakers have ever created a woman for a mutt. I mean, no other humans besides the tributes are allowed in the arena. They must not know about her or her people.

"You guys coming?"

They nod.

"A chance to go home? You think I'd pass that up? He's crazy, I tell you." Ian grins at the woman.She laughs, and the sound runs over my skin like silk. "I don't mind that at all." Her hand rests on my arm, and she pulls me forward. I follow gladly. "My name is Mirmah."

I like it. It's soft and flowing like she is.

A scream sounds behind us.

I start and turn.

Valora did follow us. She's staring around us in terror. "Guys, you need to slowly back towards me." She sounds like she's on the verge of tears.

"Valora?" Mirmah's voice cuts through the younger girl's hysteria. "Honey, it's okay. You can come too. We'll keep you safe and get you home if that's where you want to go."

She shakes her head. "You're a mutt."

I stare at her in astonishment and pull Mirmah closer to me in protectiveness. Valora pulls a knife and heads our way.

"She's going to kill you. Lead you straight into a trap." Valora grabs my arm.

I glare at her. "Shut up, Valora. You have no idea what you're talking about, and I've had enough of it. Leave her alone or I'll kill you."

Valora stares at me in astonishment. "Are you kidding me?"

"Do I look like I'm kidding?"

She shakes her head. "I'll take that chance."

With a yell, she attacks Mirmah. It's probably a good thing she forgot her blow darts. Otherwise, I'd be in serious trouble.

I step in and block her with my own blade. Our knives clash, and the noise rings over the mountains. I move in front of Mirmah. "I think you should run, Mirmah."

Mirmah laughs. "Why don't you step aside? I can handle this girl."

I glance at her as I slash the dagger across Valora's arm.

"Step out of the way, Azrael. Let me handle her for you. I don't want you to get hurt."

I acquiesce to her desires and move out of the way.

Before I can say anything, Mirmah is behind Valora. She moves way faster than she should be able to. With a sickening crunch, she snaps Valora's neck. My eyes widen. I can't believe Valora is dead. Nor can I accept how dangerous Mirmah really is.

Mirmah takes my hand and kisses me again. "See? I told you."

Then she pulls me towards the back of the ravine.

There, in the pass, a dozen wolves are waiting for us.

My eyes widen. I try to pull out of Mirmah's grip. Is this what Valora meant by a trap? I'm suddenly alert and very, very scared. Mirmah turns to me and sighs. "They won't hurt you if you're with me."She pulls me towards the wolves, and they part, letting me pass with her. They should've ripped us to pieces. Unless she's a mutt and just like them. I shouldn't have come. I tug on her hand, trying to get her to let go.

She doesn't. Instead, her grip tightens as she pulls me to the cave that lies in the back of the ravine. "I wouldn't try and run. They'll tear you to pieces."

Fear swells in my heart. "Mirmah?" I dig my heels into the ground and struggle to pull free.She forces me to walk the last few feet into the cave. Her strength is surprising. I can't break her iron grip. "You said you trusted me, Azrael."

"Not anymore."

"My friends scare you?"

I nod. "They'd scare any sane person."

She laughs and pushes me down onto a bed of pine branches and leaves in the corner. "I don't want you dead for a while longer, so for now, they'll leave you be."

"And my friends?"

"Well..."

Screams startle me, and I try to run for the cave entrance.

"Hold on a moment, love." She grabs my arms and forces me onto my back again. "Unless you want to join them right now, I advise you stay here." Sitting down beside me, she turns my gaze away from the entrance.

Shouts continue to assail my ears as my companions fight the wolves outside.

"You don't really care if they die, anyway. They're competition. They'll kill you if given the opportunity."

"And you won't? I'll live longer if we escape your pack. Are you even really a woman, or are you one of them in disguise?"

She presses her lips to my neck, and I shiver.

"Does it matter?"

"You're hurting my ally and his friend. So yes," I snap, pushing her back.

She laughs and leans in to kiss me again. "Such fire. Yes, I'm one of them. But cooperation would keep you alive a little longer."

"What do you want from me?" Disgust runs through me, and I glare at her.

She smiles. "You... I want your cooperation as I kill you. I'll make it painless. Pleasurable, even.""Why not rip me to shreds like your friends are trying to do to my companions?" I cross my arms. "And what is this place?"

"Because I like you, and I don't want you dead yet. Maybe in a few weeks when I'm tired of your charm and determination. Esmerelda Nohe created us... She gave us this place, knowing that young men are easily lured by empty promises of love and a beautiful woman. You just have to put the right spin to it." She grins, and the look in her dark eyes is feral.

I look away, my eyes filling with tears. "Valora died because I wouldn't believe her."

"You should've listened." She agrees. "But it's too late. You'll die too, so you won't feel regret for long."

I turn on her, my cheeks flushed. "I'm going to kill every one of you."

She wraps her arms around my waist and pulls me close. "No, you aren't."

I go to draw a knife, and her cold fingers stop me.

"I'll rip you to pieces." Her eyes glitter.

"I don't care." I manage to draw my weapons and bring it to her throat.

"Oh, Azrael... You could die happily. In peace and comfortably. Why choose this?"

"Because you're a liar and a monster."

She pouts. "Well, Mirmah does mean deception, love."

My fingers tremble as I grab my knife and try to stab her in the heart.

She lunges forward and sinks sharp fangs into the side of my neck.

I yell in agony and drive the knife into her side. Shudders run through my body as her smell wafts towards me. It muddles my thoughts, making me sleepy.

She pulls back, my blood coating her teeth and lips. Her hand grabs the knife and pulls it from her side. Then she takes my belt of knives. Throwing it across the room, she snarls at me. "You shouldn't have done that." Her fingers caress my cheek, but it's no longer an attempt to seduce.

Instead, it's ominous and possessive. She's toying with me, and I don't like it.

"I hear that a lot." I go into my zone and her soporific smell fades away.

The fight begins. I dance in and out of her reach, stabbing and cutting. She rakes her nails across my face, but I continue my assault. The whimpers of the wolves try to push past my barrier. I refuse to allow it to distract me. I lash out and hit home. My knife plunges into her heart, and she yelps. With a snarl, she collapses to the ground.

I turn and run for the entrance.

Cedar is lying on the ground, bleeding. He isn't dead yet, but he will be soon if we don't help him. Ian is fighting off two wolves, and the remaining two are circling Cedar as he struggles to fend them off. One of them leaps, going for his throat.

Then I'm there. He might not be my ally, but I'm not going to just stand there as he's ripped to pieces. I plunge my blade down into the beast's spine. It howls and yelps, falling away from Cedar. I yell and swing the blade in a vicious arc. It catches the second wolf as it springs. My knife tears through its neck, and I crouch, ready for the next wolf. Hot blood drips down my face from where Mirmah raked her nails over my cheek. I watch the other wolf through my dark lashes.

It regards me with hatred. With a growl, it springs for Stockholm again.

I vault out of my crouch and kick the animal away. The kick catches it on the jaw and sends it flying into the stone wall. Gripping the blade tightly, I stalk forward, preparing to take it out. A loud snarl comes from behind me, and I whirl around to find another wolf. It leaps forward.

I hit the stony ground hard and the air is knocked out of me. It tries to take off my head, but its teeth only graze my shoulder as I shove it away. Pushing off the ground, I use my momentum to vault away from the two creatures.

When the one I threw into the rocks lunges, I dodge. Whipping around, I slam my knife into its eye as it rockets past me. The last one crouches and springs. It knocks me to the ground again and goes for my neck. I grab its nose in my hands and clamp its jaw closed. Sweat trickles between my shoulder blades as I struggle with the wolf.

"Ian!" I shout. "I can't hold it much longer."

Ian stares at me in shock. I crane my neck to look over at him. "Ian! I swear, if you let this thing kill me, my ghost will haunt you for the rest of your life."

His eyes widen and he springs into motion just as the wolf forces my fingers open and goes for my throat. Ian's sword comes down on the beast's neck.

Blood sprays all over me, and the thing's head falls onto my chest. I wince and throw it away from me.Ian tugs the wolf's body off me. "I've never seen anyone fight like that."

I frown. "What are you talking about? I fight just like anyone else." I spit out a mouthful of blood and wipe my mouth. My stomach heaves, and I throw up everything I ate for breakfast. It wasn't much, but it's gone now. My legs shake, and I crawl to Cedar.

"You were so fast... Almost like Mirmah when she killed Valora."

I'm shaking all over now, and I can barely put enough pressure to stop the bleeding in Cedar's leg. "Ian, we can't talk about this right now. We need to hide and help Cedar."

Ian nods. "Sorry..."

He grabs Cedar and throws him over a shoulder.

I hiss out in pain as I get up. My leg has some nasty claw marks in it, and I'm bleeding at the side of my neck where Mirmah bit me. Blood trickles from the superficial wound the last wolf gave me. I press my fingers into my neck wound to try and stop the flow. With jerky movements, I pull my shirt off to tie it around the gashes in my leg before grabbing my backpack from the cave. "Be careful with him!" I glare at Ian as he jostles Cedar a little too much. "You'll guarantee his death if you keep that up."Ian nods.

We eventually reach our cave where we're going to hide. Now I have to try and save Cedar. I doubt he'll survive. But I'll do my best to keep him alive. "Now, to see just how bad this wound is."

___________________________________________  

DISTRICT 3: ALISTAIR PRAGUE

Nothing was going as planned.

Elysia and Percy weren't back yet and I really, really wanted to "borrow" Cole's spear again. A can of poison and a semi-sharp wooden stick had me so limited.

"It's hours 'til sunrise and they're still not here" I muttered to myself.

I begun walking on my own, off into the darkness of the jungle.

"Elysia...! Percy...!" I whisper-shouted into the nightfall.

No response.

I. Had. Been. Abandoned.

"Anyone...?" I asked in desperation.

"Shhh!"

"Four?" I questioned with hope.

"It's not Four. It's Vibia, Six. Who are you?"

I couldn't see crap inside the murky weather as I tried to locate her, "It's Alistair, District Three"

"Oh! Yeah, I remember you. You're uh, the criminal's son, huh?"

I frowned.

That's all I've ever been since the imprisonment: The son of a bloody convict.

"If you don't mind, I'd just like to be known as Alistair from Three"

"Alright Alistair from Three", I felt her grip on my wrist, "Found you ally?"

"Ally", I confirmed, "Have you seen Elysia or Percy at all?"

"Not since Cor-", she cut herself off at the sound of suctioning on the muddy floor. "Sh! Stop talking", she whispered in a cautious tone, "Are they gone?"

"Who's gone?"

"Little lemur like ace bit bastards. Deadly but adorable. They feed off the vulnerable. Usually while the victim remains fatigue. If you're fully conscious, they're harmless. This'll be my first time seeing them"

"How do you know so much of them Vibia?"

"I enjoy nature. I've only really gotten to read of rare anomalies. Much less see them. Follow me"

"Where are we going?"

"We are going to find the pack of Snings and kill them. We'll be saviors in the eyes of others reaped. Higher survival rate, wouldn't you say?"

"I assume so"

"We don't even have to kill all of them, just keep the carcass of one as proof to the rest, so keep your ears perked"

A squeal from the distance was heard, and Six jogged even quicker, following the squeal, bringing me along with her.

The dum light from the soon to form sunrise was enough to form a figure. I recognized her for her frizzy black hair. She was Mae from Eleven, "Aw, you're so cute little guy", she cooed to the little Sning on a hanging twig of moss. The Sning licked her fingers and Lightwood shot me a look of worry.

"She's a vulnerable one," Vibia whispered.

Mae's head snapped our way, "Heyyy there cuties!" She slurred. Her footsteps followed us.

The Sning wasn't very eager to be left behind, and neither were his friends.

10 by 10 appeared.

20 by 20 pursued.

We were dead for.

"Come on Mae!" I grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her along behind me.

Mae continued giggling, "I found these crickets and they tasted really really good"

Probably what spiraled her out of control.

Vibia skipped ahead to cut the weeds out of our way.

Mae's giggling had stopped.

I looked behind me.

She wasn't there any longer.

Then what am I hold-

The Snings didn't have the bitter courtesy to leave even flesh and blood. I was holding bones. Bones I dropped.

The Snings had disappeared. Out of view. And out of sight.

I stopped. So did Vibia.

The corruption stopped.

The world stopped.

The games and everyone with it.

The world hadn't stopped for a moment of peace for the termination of Mae.

The world had stopped for a moment to admire in awe of the brutality on the murder.

In awe.

They didn't stop it.

They could've stopped it.

They didn't.

They let it happen.

I didn't stop it.

I could've stopped it.

I didn't.

I let it happen.

For a moment we remained silent.

"Alistair, we can't stay. We need to go. Right now"

Lightwood began yanking me away from the itty bitty remains of Mae.

She slipped right through my fingertips.

"I'm so sorry Alistair from Three, but i tot's not your fault. You were bound to run into death sooner or later. We need to leave before the little green eyes pixies corner us again. And I swear, the game makers changed their genetics to be more gruesome, so it's not you to be pinned on"

I hadn't budged, "Alistair, move it! Didn't you say you were here for your sister at the interview? Wouldn't you want her to be proud of you? Or see her one last time?"

I turned to face her. She was sincere, "We can talk about her once we find shelter under a tree or cave, okay?"

"Okay. I saw an open trunk a couple minutes behind"

"Then let's hurry"

She grabbed my hand and lured me back to the open trunk, "This one?"

I nodded. I hadn't said a word since.

She got in first.

I went in second, then leaned out.

I felt lightheaded.

"Who gave you permission to die Mae?" I mumbled and shook my head in disapproval, "I'm not good coping with death" I directed to Vibia.

She didn't answer, being too in over her head for the moment.

The dizziness took over as I threw up on the ground next to the log, then looked up, gasping for air momentarily.

Up on a near by tree, there was a camera. It zoomed in on me.

The eye contact hadn't frightened me, or pressured me to crawl back into the hole, "You must feel great for murdering an underaged girl, don't you?"

___________________________________________ 

DISTRICT 4: PERCY COLE

Percy revelled in the duty he'd been assigned. He was up to his knees in pristine blue water, trident in hand, scanning the sandy lake floor for food. There, a dark flicker under the surface. He stilled until the flicker returned, now as a small, dark blob. Down the three prongs went, impaling the poor creature before it had a chance to know what was happening. "Caught another one, guys."

He left the water reluctantly, wishing for its cool embrace to stay attached to him. It didn't take long for his legs to dry in the heat, though it was only early morning. The sun had barely risen over the horizon and he was already sweating. Percy waved his third catch of the day in Naveen's face when he arrived at his temporary abode under a tree. "And you said I'd only catch one."

"Get that slimy thing away from me. If that's a mutt and it comes back to life, I'm not losing my nose," Naveen said, annoyed. "Toss it with the rest. We'll start a fire when the sun comes up." Percy shrugged and let the fish slide off his weapon. It landed with a wet sounding plop and Naveen wrinkled his nose. Back to the water he went. There was an eager passion he possessed for these islands, like he was right at home. But he knew deep down that this place was nothing like home. Home was natural, formed by nature's own hand. This place was manmade and artificial, created only for the sake of watching children bludgeon one another.

The Bloodbath flashed in his mind and he shook the images away, replacing them with the aftermath. After arriving at the island with Teagan they had met up with Naveen and Ember. Layla was next. The night passed smoothly and Percy patched up his hand with bandages that had fortunately been hiding in his pack. It still ached terribly, but at least he wasn't bleeding out. His hand wasn't the only thing in pain, though: a dark bruise had formed above his brow from the encounter with Alistair. He reached up to feel it and a sharp sting spread throughout his head before dissipating. What a dick move...Then again, I wasn't necessarily "nice" either.

Percy slammed his trident through scaly skin more roughly than intended. I don't need to think about it. What happened yesterday can't be taken back and I shouldn't linger on it. He removed the fish and tossed it at Naveen. It slid across his arm, leaving a trail of blood and the scent of fish. Naveen sighed and, his eyes cast upon the dead fish by his foot, said, "You're lucky we're allies, Four. Had you been anyone else I wouldn't have hesitated to gut you."

"That's assuring," Percy called back. Sometimes he questioned allying with Naveen. Despite having such a welcoming appearance, there was something about him that sent unease barreling through his nerves. Maybe it was his attitude about the Games. Still, Percy was confident in his choice of allies. He hoped it would last until worst came to worst.

Suddenly, a cannon rang out. The morning sky was still dark enough to broadcast the deaths, and the face of Elias Vector was large against the force field above. It didn't faze Percy, strangely.

He faced the lake again. The sun was rising painstakingly slow, and the only assurance that it was moving was it's increasing orange glow. Once he caught another fish, he let his mind wander. Must be a Gamemaker trick. Who knows what they've got-- It was the smallest of movements in his peripheral vision that interrupted his thoughts. A few yards away from him was a tree, and in that tree was a flash of white, the rustling of branches.

Percy spun, trident held in front of his body like he had done so many times before. His crappy ears picked up a whizzing, and his eyes widened at the glint of silver headed straight for him. Offense became defense as he moved the weapon in front of his face. Blood squirted and ran down his skin, but he didn't mind. What he did mind was the knife just centimeters away from his forehead, only held back by the flesh of the fish still caught between the prongs of the trident.

Acadia smirked at him from the tree, and arched her arm back to throw another knife. But before she could a black line rocketed towards her and pierced her neck, blood exiting the wound just like the fish. She grasped her throat, and in doing so, let herself fall from the tree. A cannon went off.Teagan stood at the edge of a group of large bushes, crossbow still elevated in his hands. Ember and Layla ran past him shouting, "She's coming!"

"Who is?" Percy asked. His question was answered when a figure crashed through the bushes. He didn't need a bright sun to know who it was: Elysia. Naveen leaned forward on his cane, eager for action.

Percy was closest to her, but she hadn't noticed him yet. If he didn't do something, someone in his alliance would die, surely. They had strength in numbers, but a knife can move much faster than a human. He inched the fish off his spear, holding it by the knife, then shook the slick creature off so he had two weapons. Now, he'd never been big on knives, but if he could slow her down...

He threw the knife with as much force as he could and it lodged itself in Elysia's calf. She dropped her weapon in shock. Percy took a sharp intake of breath when he saw the blood staining her clothes. He had to admit, there was a certain rush to it. What kind, he didn't know, and he feared the answer.It only took two seconds for the threat to be averted to something other than the tributes, something stronger, something far more terrifying, something unnatural.

There was a swish of air above them, like the flapping of wings. Percy would've waved it off as nothing more than a bird if it wasn't so loud. A saliva-like substance landed on his shoulder and a repulsive scent wafted to his nostrils. He looked up. A large creature in flight shot over to Elysia.

As soon as it made contact with the girl, she screamed, an earsplitting, bone-rattling scream. It knocked her on her back and landed on her stomach. Audible crunches, heightened screams, bulging eyes. Percy used this precious time to get a good look at it. It looked to be around half his height and bloated, as if it would explode any minute, and every now and then it's tail would flick, sending the blades along it's back into a round of shuddering. Leathery wings adorned it's figure.

The creature swung at Elysia's face with a splayed hand, fierce claws digging into her cheek. Another scream, worse this time. Half of her face broke out in blisters, one of them popping every now and then and sending a tar-like stream of fluid along her face. The creature swung again, with the same result, and again. The swings weren't even close to animal-like.

Percy had enough of this. He took a step towards land, but that was all he was allowed. Thud. Another creature of the same species landed next to its coequal. This one faced him, and he felt like retching at the things twisted features, it's beaked mouth and beady eyes.Thud. There was another right next to Naveen, who sprung into action immediately. Splash. Behind him. He had to look, but he knew that when he did he'd be forced to act.

One last look at Elysia's destroyed body and he turned, trident swinging like with the Cara incident. The blades crashed into its repulsive stomach, spewing blackness all over him. It didn't seem affected and stared at Percy with a menacing glint in its dark eyes. He was compelled to scream, it wanted to burst out of his lungs and prodded him to release it, but he forced it back. When he resisted, the muttation--that's what it was, he realized-- spread apart its beak and let out a deafening squawk that sent the hairs on his neck springing.

Then it charged.

Percy dove to the side last minute, submerging himself in the safety of the lake. I hope those things are stupid. For a moment all was calm. The calm before the storm. A searing pain circulated on two spots where his shirt rode up and exposed his back, and it didn't go away. His skin felt like it was bubbling. He was yanked out of the water by the fabric of his shirt and flung to shore. As he travelled through the air, the grip on his trident was lost and landed where the stash of fish was.

There was no time to catch his breath, not a second could be wasted. He was defenseless and needed anything he could get his hands on. Percy scrambled to his feet despite the pain flooding through his lower back. At his feet was the shredded body of Elysia, no more than an unrecognizable chunk of blistered skin and meat. The knife was still in her leg. He pulled it out and backed as far away from the mutt as he could.

Each person was fighting their own battles. Except for Ember, who was shouting at the mutt fighting Teagan, trying to distract it. It worked momentarily when she said, "Whoever created you was a sick coward!" It looked offended but went back to its previous concerns. Naveen was bashing his cane over his mutt's head. He could handle himself. Layla, however, fared a great deal less. Her mutt managed to get a good swipe on her palm and she immediately began to pale and shake.

Percy's mutt was out of the water and heading straight for him. If everyone else could keep themselves alive as long as they had, he could too. His mind went into planning hard-drive. I can't touch its skin. If I'm going to get up close, I need protection. The bandage offered some coverage, but his other hand was bare. What to use, what to use.... Elysia was still there. Percy was sure she wouldn't mind if he used some of her to his benefit. She may haunt him forever, but it would be worth it.

He picked up a piece of shredded skin and wrapped it around his own. Vile rose up his throat but he swallowed it. He could puke later. His feet were also barren, but he wouldn't go so far as to use more flesh. No, his shoes had been discarded fairly close, and he slipped them on quickly. By the time he'd done all this, the mutt had closed the distance. Plan, plan, plan...Wings, skin, knife...flight, flight, flight.

Armed with only a knife, Percy ran circles around the mutt. It jerked its head back and forth, trying to catch a chance to attack. Percy found one first, though. The blades trailing up its backside ended halfway up its back, and said back was facing him, the mutt searching left and right for his location.He leapt onto the muttation's back, his feet planted where the blades ended, and his covered hands gripped its shoulders. It shrieked and squawked, thrashing about wildly to remove him. It was like bull rides he'd read about, something that some did in District Ten for fun. Except this was way more difficult.

Percy raised his knife, prepared to plunge it into the mutt's neck, but just before he brought it down the thing flapped its wings and raised into the sky. He pressed himself against its back. It careened this way and that, plummeted down and lurched upwards, barrel-rolled all with Percy clutching at its saggy skin for dear life. He gritted his teeth as it took a dive, the sensation of falling consuming the room in his stomach. The feeling was ten times worse than seasickness.

Percy thought of home. But he shattered each memory as soon as it appeared. He would never let something so disgusting and dangerous and abnormal remind him of home. Not only did he feel shame at the idea, he felt offended that this creature would tap into his mind. That's what he feared most: that people, things would get into his mind and use his knowledge against him. He had to give the Gamemakers credit: they sure knew how to make a show. But if it was a show they wanted, a show was what they were going to get.

Percy released one of the shoulders and wrapped nimble fingers around the handle of the knife. He gripped it so tightly he thought the skin on his hands would rip and he'd end up just like Elysia.He rammed the blade into the mutt's throat. Tar sprayed from the puncture, raining upon the tributes. The mutt cradled its own body with its wings and they plummeted to the island. It crashed face first into the ground, its skull fracturing from the impact, and the body slid several feet before stopping, leaving a trail of black and throwing sand into Percy's eyes. He wiped it away furiously, a newfound rage triggered within him.

He went to stand up, but was held captive, one of his hands having held on so tightly that his fingers broke past the skin and dug into its flesh. Instead of calmly removing his hand, like he would've done normally, he clutched the fleshy skin and pulled, jerking it to and fro till it came loose. More of the black liquid stained his arms as he flung it to the bushes.

Percy was about to leave when he saw the tiniest movement shake the mutt's body. Still a threat, still a threat, still a threat. Panic did strange things to people, especially to Percy, who had never felt such a jumble of different emotions all at once, curling around his innards. In fact, he'd never truly been panicked until now.

He used his protected hands to flip the mutt on its back so he could make sure his eyes weren't deceiving him. Sure enough, there was a small rise and fall of its chest and the beady eyes were darting everywhere. It snapped its beak and cawed weakly when it saw him. It was struggling to reach him and the rage returned, replacing the panic. Why won't it just give up and leave me alone, damn it?!

Before he could stop himself he stabbed at the mutt's chest, then again, and again, repeatedly, one after the other, non-stop. Just give up and go back to whatever made you! The mutt stilled, but he didn't stop there. Blackened blood coated his arms and hands, landed in droplets on his cheeks, smeared all over his clothing. Muffled voices hollered but he tuned them out. Why couldn't they just let us alone? What the hell did we do to be treated like this, to be sent to our deaths, to be tortured in every imaginable way?

Ember sat across from him. Her mouth moved but Percy heard nothing and continued to skewer the beast. Few of her words made it through. "Dead...okay...safe...gone...stop..." Her coaxing was pointless. She gave him a saddened look and gestured to something behind him.

Two hands fitted themselves over his arms and sent him into a fit of thrashing. "Let me go!" Percy grunted as he was dragged away from the carcass. His feet kicked out, sending sand into the air, and he waved his arms around, swinging the knife as best he could, trying to find a target. Ember wrestled the blade away from him. Percy swung his fist back and it found a mark.

"Put him down," someone said. The hands threw him on his stomach and a foot pressed itself deep into his back.

"Get off!" Percy screamed.

"Shut up!" Naveen hissed. He dug his foot deeper into his back. "With you screaming like that, the whole damned arena will be after us." Percy tried struggling again, only to be whacked upside the head by Naveen's cane. That knocked some sense into him. He went limp and pressed his head against the ground, not caring that his bruise was throbbing like crazy. I'm safe, it's dead, I killed it. Calm, calm, calm. Naveen sensed that Percy was back to normal, and removed his foot.

Percy sat up and surveyed his surroundings. Ember and Teagan were watching him warily. Naveen walked up to a small sphere--a mutt's head--and kicked it into the brush. Layla held her hand up to a mark on her cheekbone. Percy must've struck her while he was flailing. I can't believe I did that...What came over me? Remorse fell over him like a veil.

When Percy got to his feet, he hobbled over to his trident and leaned it against his shoulder. "We should hide." No one objected. They collected what little they had and moved deeper into the island. Only the carcasses and Percy's old life were left behind.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 5: IAN NIGHY

The match brought light into my little cave, if only just for a second. I could feel it burning down, warming my fingers as it already began to flicker and die. I knew better than to start a fire, not on the first day, with tributes crawling the arena. But the warmth of it was comforting, and it assured me nothing had ever lived there except me.

I slipped out of the narrow entrance to the cave. The jagged sides tugged on my clothes, threatening to rip them if I wasn't careful. I sat up against the rock wall, surveying my surroundings. The waterfall was on my right, but the mountain that fed it was behind me. I could follow the rushing water in a clear path back to the marsh, and even see the Cornucopia from where I sat. In front of me was nothing but the dense forest I'd come out of.

Three other tributes were hiding out there. I had seen their camps from a distance, but decided not to join them. It was too early to make lasting allies.

I pulled my bag over to my lap, rummaging through it to find out what else I had to work with. It wasn't much, to my disappointment, I'd hoped for more. But I could make do. I was resourceful. At the sight of my bandages unscathed, however, I couldn't help but laugh in relief. I thought the bloodbath would ruin them, but they were as perfect and clean as I could have ever hoped.

They helped to remind me of the aching gash in my right arm. Blood had stained my sleeve, all but gluing it to my skin in the process. I pulled the water bottle from my bag. It was half-empty, but I wasn't worried. I had the largest amount of freshwater in the arena at my disposal. I poured the water over my sleeve in tiny amounts, working it free from my skin. It took time, and almost all the water, but I finally got it loose enough to push up. I cleaned the cut next and inspected it carefully, looking for the early signs of poison or infection. As far as I could tell, it was just a cut—deep, perhaps, but nothing a bandage and time wouldn't fix.

I dried it as best I could, tearing off a strip of bandage to wrap around it. The cut stung, but I grit is teeth and did the best I could. "That'll leave a nice little scar, won't it?" I looked through the bag again, hoping for a first-aid pack that I might have missed. The only thing I found was a fat, plastic vial full of a clear liquid. I turned it over in my hands, studying the paper label that read "Painkiller" in bold letters.

Curiously, I unscrewed the lid, letting the smell of citrus wash over me. Something in my gut told me to treat the vial with caution. I knew what this was, or at least what it had come from, but I couldn't remember the name. I screwed the lid back on, slipping the vial into my pocket for safekeeping.That's when I heard it.

A howl shook the leaves on the trees, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. It grated at my skull, lodging itself in my brain. I stayed perfectly still, ears straining to hear the sound again, but I didn't wait long. It was a low, sorrowful howl that wasn't human or animal. The sound was full of so much mourning and so much loss that it sent chills through me. It tugged at my heart in a way I can't describe, pulling me to my feet. I had to know where it was coming from. Nothing else mattered.I couldn't hear anything else. The whisper of the cold wind through the trees had disappeared from my ears. I could no longer hear the birds or the insects. I couldn't even hear the sound of twigs snapping under my feet. All I could hear was the howling. The crying of some broken creature that was so strong I could feel their pain as my own.

The sound was growing louder. It was surrounding me on all sides. Night fell, time slipping away from me completely. There was more than one now, creating an orchestra that lured me in. I needed to help whatever made that sound. I needed to keep them safe and protected, no matter the cost. Even if it meant my own life. Even if it meant the lives of everyone I knew. I would keep this creature safe.It wasn't until I saw the doe that I came to my senses. They were surrounding her, huge white wolves arranged in a perfect circle. The doe wasn't frightened, she didn't try to move or get away. She seemed completely unaware of the danger. She didn't see the way they bared their teeth and how their canines glistened red. The doe was looking at the largest member of the pack, mesmerized by it. The alpha caught her in its illuminated yellow eyes. Kept her hypnotized by the gentle way it swayed back and forth.

They hunted in a way I'd never seen. The doe stayed there, engrossed in the alpha's motions, while the others crept into a closer and closer circle. Then, in short, sharp bursts of violence, they lunged out, leaving the ground warm and steaming with blood. The animal cried out in agony, but never moved. It let the wolves tear her apart piece by piece.

Then the alpha turned and she looked at me with those glowing yellow eyes. The mutt was seven feet of pure muscle, gleaming under a silver-white coat. She raised her thin lips and growled at me, causing every last one of them to stop and follow her gaze.

I felt chills go down my spine. My brain was screaming at me to keep my eyes on the creature's feet, to focus on the razor-sharp curve of its claws. If I looked it in the eye, I would be a threat. But it didn't matter. They looked at me as if they'd just remembered what the real task was. It was me who was supposed to be in that circle. These animals were hunting tributes.

I stumbled back into the trees, trying to find my way back to camp. My mind was racing. I didn't know which way to go. Nothing was familiar. I looked in every direction, trying to remember anything about finding the way back when you're lost. They were behind me, creeping closer like a fog, as if they knew I had nowhere to go.

"Shit!" My heart lurched and my steps faltered as I tried to move faster. The only thing I could remember was the waterfall. If I could find the waterfall, I could find my way back.

The sound of howling jarred my skull, sending my thoughts to the wind. All I could think about were the wolves. I panicked and did the worst thing I could possibly do.

I ran.

I knew where I was going, and I knew that it was the wrong thing to do, but they'd rip me apart otherwise. I could hear them behind me, gaining on me. Every step they took was three of mine, and I just wasn't fast enough. I did everything I could think of to throw them off. My legs burned, my stomach cramped, but I kept pushing myself to go further.

Something bit down hard on my ankle, sending me crashing to the ground. Pain flooded my veins like a fast-acting poison. I cried out, kicking frantically at the air until it finally subsided. I tried to stand again, but putting pressure on my foot was unbearable.

This is it, I thought. This is how I'm going to die. Torn apart by mutts.

I waited for another attack. I waited for one of them to kill me and get it over with. But it never happened. Then I heard screaming—real, human screaming. At first, just one voice, and then another as well. I struggled to stand, keeping as much weight off my foot as possible. Looking behind me, I could make out the glow of a campfire a few feet back. I didn't know much about wolves, especially not mutts like these, but I knew enough about predators to know that you can always distract them with a better meal.

I don't know what possessed me to see if they were still alive. I was injured, my death sentence writing itself with every step I took closer to that fire. When I got there, the mutts were already gone. No doubt back to their hiding place deep in the mountains. The camp was destroyed, supplies ripped to shreds, weapons broken, the fire slowly going out. The two tributes, however, were still alive. But not for much longer.

They were on opposite sides of the camp, no doubt having been dragged apart. The boy wasn't easy to recognize, but I thought it resembled Cedar, from District Eight. His face was covered in blood and dirt, the skin from his arm ripped away and white bone shining through. His breathing was erratic and panicked, trembling at the sight of what had happened. He knew he was going to die.

I remembered the vial, and in a hurry I pulled it from my pocket and unscrewed the lid. I had led the wolves to them, no doubt. But that didn't mean they had to suffer. I let him see it, and he took it from me. He never said a word, just put a few drops into his mouth and let his eyes close.

The girl was different. She had a cut across her throat that she'd had the sense to put her hand over. Blood was streaming from between her fingertips, and she trembled with every movement. I put my hand on her shoulder to stop her. "It's okay," I told her, "I'm here to help. I've got something for the pain." I helped her get the vial to her lips; let her take a few more sips than she needed. She was from Thirteen. She wasn't even supposed to be here.

They were both dead in minutes. I looked through their things; took what I needed before I decided to find my way back to camp. My foot still ached with every step, but as time went by, I felt it less and less.

The only thing I thought about were the three people dead at my hands. The first was self-defense; the last two were acts of mercy. But by the time I had made it back to my camp, hidden safely away in my cave, I realized that I no longer cared about who I killed. They were just stepping stones, and each one got me closer to home. I had spent too much time worrying about the others.

It was time to make good on my promise.

___________________________________________

 DISTRICT 7: TEAGAN STANDARDS

A breath escapes through my parted lips as the sky darkens around us. It was hard to tell what time it was and I knew that it wouldn't matter anyways, we were just objects in this disgusting game. As I feel the burning pain shoot through my abdomen, that thought sneaks its way further into my thoughts.

The arena is deadly quiet except for the soft coon of the nightly animals that inhabit the trees. Everything looks so innocent and beautiful but with the little knowledge I've learned, and simple logic; this place is deadlier than a live tiger.

Ember next to me fiddles with her hands and I know she's thinking of her family. We all had someone we were forced to leave behind and it never gets easier to think about. We still haven't talked much since making refuge in this tree. The tension that radiates off of us at the fact that one of us will die in the matter of days doesn't help much either.

"We can't stay here." I croak, my voice is raw and tired just like the rest of me.

She looks up with her piercing golden eyes, a muscle twitches in her cheek and her grip tightens on the dagger I handed her earlier. "What do you mean?" She challenges me to speak. "You want to walk out of here with no shelter and get yourself killed?"

I roll my eyes before a glistening piece of iron catches the corner of my vision. The blood coated on my jacket must have disguised it earlier but now its became obvious I've been stabbed. I move to touch the tissue around it but just as I skim over the tender skin I flinch back and hiss. That burst of adrenaline I felt earlier must have hid the pain.

"Did you honestly manage to get injured, and then not even feel it?" She shakes her head in disbelief.

"Well I'm sorry I was trying not to die!" I grind my teeth as the pain comes in flashes. I squeeze my eyes shut and dig my nails in the bark of the tree harder in hopes of not falling out. The pain slowly becomes unbearable and I know what I have to do.

As I examine the wound better through grimacing sneers, I see the hilt snapped off and it's just the blade that's lodged between the outer layer of skin and the beginning of the muscle. I motion for Ember to throw me the dagger and while doing so, I stand up and reach for the leaves above us.

They're flat with wide brims and waxy shelling, knowing the Gamemakers they probably are toxic if consumed, but right now that's the last thing on my mind. Grabbing a fist load, I shove them in my mouth and bite down as hard as I can while using the dagger to peel the top layer of skin. The blade slowly becomes more visible with each dig and it has the same articulating pattern as the one I'm holding.

The bitch had a spare. Always nice at keeping it classy.

Ember watches intently as I wedge the tip in and try to nudge it to the surface. Blood starts to drench the white undershirt and my arms strain to keep a steady hand as the devious thing finally makes progress. I'm just about to be fully done when a rustling noise comes from the brush below us. We both stop and hold our breaths as we pear down.

I see a lone tribute walking with a limp. His hair is sticking up on all edges and in the moonlight I recognize him as Naveen, the boy from District 13. Ember looks at me and hits my calf. Her eyes go to the crossbow that was slung around my shoulder. I ignore her though as I study Neveen.

We didn't talk at all in training except after the interview when he was walking alone in the hall and I was too fidgety to go to my own room. He always seemed like a mysterious one, I was surprised when I saw him with Percy arguing just before I'd fled to the trees. By this point Ember was practically forcing the crossbow from my arm while trying to be as quiet as possible.

The only weapon he had on him was his cane and even in the dim lighting I saw chunks of gory flesh and blood hanging from the tips. A crossbow would only giveaway our hideout, and I don't think I was quite ready to kill him yet. The blade in my side left an unwanted reminder that I wasn't in the best shape to run if it came down to it. Most of my initial energy had vanished at the Cornucopia, and I knew it would only get harder as we went.

I mouthed the word 'no' to Ember but that only seemed to rile her up more. After a few more seconds she sinks back against the tree in defeat, glaring at me the whole time.

Naveen continues to walk past the tree with his cane up at the ready. Only a few cuts and scratches run up his arms and legs but other than that he looks pretty unscathed from the blood bath we'd just came from. He wonders around aimlessly-most likely searching for a food source-before heading towards the beach.

"You know what this means?" I raise an eyebrow and pat my side. "We either make some allies or die."

Ember carefully eases herself down from the branch and rubs her palms on her jeans. When she finally makes it to the ground I decide enough's enough and rip out the blade, blood squirts everywhere as I tear the already tattered shirt and do a make-shift gauze.

"Guessing by the looks of it, we're not alone." She spreads her arms and does a small twirl.

I trudge along closer towards her. "Obviously."

"So we head to the beach-"

Ember is cut off when a loud pitched voice comes rumbling towards us. Ember stands defenseless with fists at the ready when I throw her the dagger and prepare the crossbow. Without a scope and not much room for error, I let the nerves rattle me.

We both look out to the distance and I can just make out a silhouette of a girl running towards us. Behind her is another girl and guy; it seems they're being chased. But when I see the pure terror etched into their faces, I know it's something much more than another tribute looking for a late night kill.

Ember stares and is frozen in place when I shake her. By the time she snaps out of it we're both halfway running to the beach. It's a risk to go while knowing Naveen and most likely Percy are there, but it's one we'll have to take. My side aches as my lungs burn for oxygen with each step. We must've made a lot of noise because by the time we get there I see both of them with weapons at the ready.

They don't even question our appearance as they already begin bounding towards the other tributes. Not even three feet behind them is a hound of midget looking things with scaly skin and their beaks looking sharp enough to take an eye out.

"They're Flocks." I hear the voice of Percy say in urgency.

I look back at him confused as begin to aim the crossbow. "What?"

"I've never seen them in person but from the stories I've heard you might want to get ready to run." He looks at me. "And I hope you run fast."

It was like the calm before the storm, and this storm was a hurricane. It seemed to happen in a matter of moments that the first Flock slashed its tail and sent the district 12 girl tumbling to the ground. My nerves caused the aim to go slightly off and impale the nearest tree, barely touching the edge of the Folk.

The feeling of shooting the bow for the first time sent a sudden feeling of thrill through my body. A wicked smile made its way to my face and Ember just stared and me like I was mad. The dagger she was holding found its way into a flying Flock and sent it to the ground were Naveen stabs it in the chest.

After learning from the first mistake, my arrows seemed to slice through the air, manipulating them like a second sense. It took all of us to work together and kill one but that didn't stop the creature from using its club-like tale to fling open the chest of Elias Vector; the guy I only talked to for a period of two seconds.

Mixed in the fighting was also the other two living tributes. None of is seemed to worry about each other ad only the Folk in front of us. These merciless creatures would stop at nothing until one of us were gone. Elysia was flat on the ground with both her feet against the chest of the mutt. The the odds were against her as it swipes right down her face and I see the fleshy muscles and eyes go flying. I'm so lost in what just happened that I don't notice Acadia go flying over the swamp between the grasps of another.

I can almost hear the blood curling shrills of Esmeralda, sitting anxiously as she watched us bleed. These were her creations, blood lusting and all.

It didn't take long for another swarm of these bastards to come, and by that time we were either dead or were about to be. Sweat covered my face and hair and I found myself gripping the bow through shaky hands. "Teagan duck!" Screamed Percy, and just as I did I felt Ember step on my back to take a running leap before she tackled one of the flying Flocks.

By this time I was all out of arrows so instead I took the broken blade and threw it at Layla-who I'd just know noticed-who then shoved it in another mutt that was already dying out.

I heard a large growl and a body go flying past my vision. Spinning around, another Flock was prowling towards me. I threw the useless bow to the ground and searched for the closest usable weapon, which just so happened to be a broken stick that must have been used as a spear.

Just as I make the leap of victory, the mutt is on top of me with claws bared and beak open at the ready. It just barely manages to take a chunk from my neck as I roll over. The Folk ends up stabbing the sand instead and gets disoriented for a few seconds, giving me time to shove the spear into it's back. This only seems to anger it more and causes it to attack again. I'm forced to the ground and stuck holding the spear in front of me to keep it from biting.

I can hear the spear snapping underneath the weight and my legs are crushed from the heavy body. I have only seconds to make a plan before I end up as the next meal.

Just as the spear gives away I throw my hands up and hope the end is quick and easy. What an awful way to die, in the Hunger Games and by a mutt... In a matter of moments, a blurt of blood is in my face and mouth. It taste like medicine and I know it couldn't possibly be mine. I lay there, unable to move when Naveen kicks my side, the same side I ripped a knife from only minutes ago.

"If I just saved your life you can at least give a thank you." I look up through the crimson and see a smirk set in his face as he stares down at me. Tears prick my eyes but I couldn't stand to show that to him. A mixed emotion of disgust and horror fills me when I stand up and wipe my face. It takes seconds to notice I was the bloodiest looking one of us all.

Breathing felt like a strain as I looked at the massacre before us. Five of the Flocks were dead-or twitching-with pounds of blood running and absorbing into the sand. Both of District 12 and District 3's Elysia Ambrose laid there at awkward angles with eyes open wide in fright. Clenched in the girl's hand was a small flower that must have been her token. Naveen doesn't seem fazed at all about seeing his fellow district mate laying dead at his feet.

This is sick, I can't believe it's not even the first night and they already sent these mutts on us.

I had to look away and gather myself before going over to where Naveen, Percy, and Ember all stood and surrounded Layla. Her face was chalky white and her lips seemed to be turning blue. Naveen was standing over her in hopes of trying to find the cause of injury.

She didn't visibly look hurt accept for some deep gashes on her thighs. The realization hit me harder than a brick wall. "She's poisoned." That was all I had to say for everyone to stare at me with blank expressions. "Either she ate some of those leaves or that motherfucker was poisonous."

At the sound of this Layla's eyes widen even further before gasping for breath. She was fidgeting and trying to back away from us. She did didn't make it far before turning over and beginning to spasm and cough up dark liquid when Ember went to sit by her in a supportive manner.

"Well if you know what's happening, how do we fix it?" Naveen sighed and rubbed a hand down his face. The games were obviously getting to him, they were getting to all of us.

They all stared at me like I knew what to do. "I have no idea." Was all I said before turning around and heading towards the body of one of the mutts.

"What are you doing?" Someone called out before I heard two foot steps come after me.

"Well if we just wasted all that energy killing the damn things I want to see if they're at least edible." I mutter before kneeling down. I grabbed a stray knife and began poking at it when Percy came from behind and sat cross-legged on the opposite side.

As I scatter the organs of it around us and continue my search, I eventually found the source of the poison in it's claws. I brushed my fingertip against the one nail and it felt like burning acid was poured on my hand. The skin was bubbly, red, and blistering when I showed it to Percy and smirked. "You know what I'm thinking?"

He stared back confused and hesitant before the realization dawns on him. It takes a moment but he grins wildly as I cut off the entire claw. The poison should be good enough for one wide scratch and could potentially paralyze its victim from moving too far.

As I see Naveen walk towards us with the black liquid covering his hands and some of his shirt, I think about all the possibilities. "What the hell are you doing?" He asks before plopping down next to us. I turn back just enough to see Ember helping Layla over to the water.

"Oh nothing, Teagan just found a way to make a torture device out of the animal." Percy muses.

At the sound of that he perks up and seems more interested in what we have to say. "Since we saw the affect the Folk's poison can have on Layla, I think it'd be best to keep some of these handy just in case things got... Ugly." I concentrate on not burning myself further as I tell him. Just feeling that bit of pain makes me pity Layla.

"Hey guys, come here!" Ember yells as we all turn towards her direction. Layla is now sitting up and her skin is starting to get its honey glow back. I gather up of the claws and make sure to hold them at a safe distance before we all make our way towards them.

My side becomes a dull pain and the blood has finally stopped dripping when I stand up. "Hey, did you ever find out if we could eat any part of it?" Naveen asks.

I nod. "Yeah, the liver and a few other pieces of muscle look fine. Not good but fine."

Ember is holding back Layla's hair and they're both halfway in the murky water when she motions us closer. A wide grin is on her face and she looks like she's about to start dancing. Percy looks just as confused as I do and we're all startled when Layla turns towards us and looks almost as better than ever.

"We found some floating algae and for some reason I had the idea of telling her to eat it." Layla looks up at Ember, both of them looking as if they just shared a journey of no other. "She did, and not even two seconds later threw up everywhere, including the poison."

"So it worked as some sort of antidote?" Naveen asks almost like he doesn't believe it. They both nod vigorously and I lean down and grab a small piece and wrap it around my finger. At first it seems to burn more before easing it's way to a bitter pinch.

Everyone looks approvingly and for safety measures, I lay the claws in a bed of the algae.

Everyone lets out sighs of relief and Naveen looks the most thrilled at the news. We all talk some more about survival plans and letting the fight we just had with the Folk wear off on us. After that lethal incident, we all have the unspoken agreement to be allies.

Ember and Naveen both get started on making a better shelter since a tree just would not cut it. Layla decides to take it easy by collecting a few of the other tribute's weapons and counting stock of what we have.

I'm just about done picking up all the arrows when I hear a grueling slam come from my right. I turn around quickly to see Percy freaking out on the dead Folk. Tears stain his cheeks and his spear is lodged between where its eyes are. Deep wounds cover it's mulled flesh and stray pieces of the mutant go flying everywhere.

I take a step back, too surprised at what the usually content guy is doing. I almost walk over but decide against it. Sometimes you just need your peace, and I know that will be me eventually.

It seems that all the major inconveniences of the night had cleared through as the cannons sound. We all stop what we're doing and look up at the fake sky. I think about my brothers for the first time since coming in here and the void in my chest opens up like a fresh cut to the heart.

God I hope I get to see them again...

By the time the shelter is made and set, everyone's exhausted and I don't think any of us have the energy to kill each other in our sleep. A welcoming thought as I settle down on the warm sand below.

___________________________________________ 

DISTRICT 8: CEDAR STOCKHOLM

"She died." I say against the chill air, a brush fog escaping my mouth. It is night, and the mountains have fully swallowed Valora and I's bodies. We climb and we fall, we pant and we cough as the air thins with the higher altitude. The faces in the sky had brightened the area mere seconds earlier, and Asher's face stopped my heart.

"She died." Valora repeated, with less care than I had shown.

"What do we do now?" I ask from behind her straggling body. My muscles ache and wince as I continuously lift my legs.

"We find water; we don't care." She tells me, her foot slipping, sending her to the floor softly.

"How can we just not care? Asher was our friend, we could've used her help." I argue, stopping in my tracks. My feet make a noise against the rocks, signaling Valora that I had ceased my movement as well. She gets up off of the floor and look at me.

"Sixteen people." She states simply, her arms flailing in emphasis as she glares into my stalled body.

"What?"

"Sixteen people. There are sixteen people out there, capable of killing us at any time. Asher would have just added to that, and at some point, she would've died anyway." She nonchalantly forces the words into me, and I can almost feel the verbal force pushing me back.

"Are you saying we would've killed her?" I accuse, afraid of the impending conversation. My voice is quiet for some reason, and I don't even know if she heard the question.

"If it came down to it, yes." She admits, and reluctance and nervousness begin to show themselves in her tone.

I stare, agape with shock, "Are you saying you could kill me?"

She pauses, her head perking up. We meet eyes, and I finally understand.

"If it comes down to it." I answer for her, and when she doesn't object, we start forward.

At least two hours of walking, and my feet are tired, my lungs are tight, and my mind is numb. I don't know how much time has passed, I only know it's been two cannons since Valora and I had spoken. "Cedar." Valora says to gain my attention, and my head follows her arm that is pointing northeast.There's a cave, and I nearly breakdown. I let out a gasp of appreciation and we jog all the way there, and sudden energy jumpstarts my legs as the haven draws near. We throw our things onto the cave floor and lay down. Valora plays with the knife as I lay down, hopefully to sleep.

"I won't kill you. Not yet, at least." Valora says awkwardly. I sit up and look at her. Her eyes won't meet mine and I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Yeah, you would," I grunt and move away from her. I slowly trudge to the back wall of the cave and run my fingers across its surface. It feels real; the rocky texture instills a feeling of anger into my veins. It feels real. I drag my body down the wall and lay my head against the stone. It's uncomfortable and stiff. I know my neck will hate me for the nap, but energy is what I need right now.

My eyes close on the surroundings, and my last glimpse is of Valora staring at the sky, and of another boy, coming near. A girl is with him; she looks tired.

I'm too exhausted to regain consciousness and find out what he wants, but it seems like Valora can handle herself.

***

I am dreaming. I am dreaming. Am I dreaming?So many faces. I know them, I know their looks, I know their pain.
I know her. She's dead now, I think. Her black hair is beautiful, her eyes are striking.
It's Asher, and she's dead.
I know her, too.
She's blonde and has pure eyes.
And her. And her.
Red hair and freckles flash, and brown hair and a discerning look.
Iris, she's dead. Caina and Cara. Dead, and dead.
What about him?
Brown hair that sits atop his head, cheekbones that could cut. How did he die?
It doesn't matter. Ragnar, he's dead.
I look down at my hands and they're shaking uncontrollably, but I don't see my skin. I see more faces.

More crimson and more murder.

Then, I really do see my hands. I see them, and they're fine. My skin is there, and I feel sweat trickle down my face.

"You were dreaming." Valora states from a few feet away. Her head is resting against the wall like mine, and she looks like she had tried to sleep, but failed.

"I wasn't dreaming. I was reliving." I explain morbidly, and my hands find each other.

"Oh, I hate those. Pesky dreams, they always think they know everything." A boy's voice comes into the cave. It is then that I remember the images that I had seen before I slept. I quickly stand and step in front of Valora's body, taking the dagger out of her hand and pointing it threateningly towards the boy. I notice the girl's sleeping body is barely within the entrance of the cave.

"Come on, I'm not gonna kill you, only here to help, honest." He acts with a smile on his face. Like the dagger I hold is plastic, and the arena, a simple dollhouse.

"Get back." I manage to choke out. It's supposed to sound intimidating, but it only sounds childish and scared.

"Cedar, it's fine." Valora tries to calm me down, but I only stare at Ian. She places her palm on the shoulder of my uplifted arm, but it does nothing to comfort me.

"Fourteen people, Valora."

"What?"

"You said there were sixteen people. Well, with those cannons we heard, that makes it fourteen."
"What's your point?" She removes her hand and looks at Ian. He hadn't moved since I had pulled the knife, but only because I hadn't let him. He doesn't seem afraid.

"My point? Only that we could make it twelve. Right here and now." I almost chuckle to show no mercy, but my mind is disbelief.

"We don't need to kill anyone. They could help us. Like Asher could've." She continues to fight for Ian and Wendy's cause, but I step forward. I tune Valora out, and the ambience of the mountain sounds embrace my eardrums. I don't hear Ian's diplomacy taking charge, or Wendy's first few seconds of consciousness.

My eyes drift as I look at him, full-body. He is completely outside now, and the sun peeks and illuminates his clothes. I drop the knife.

He's wearing green.

I actually laugh this time, incredibly amused at how Ian managed to escape death because of the color he was wearing. Tawson must be watching, I think, it's the only reason.

Ian clasps his hands together, "See? I'm not gonna kill you." He is smiling as Valora and I walk to him. I stop when I reach the entrance of the cave, but Valora takes one more step towards Ian.

"Well, now that we're all settled, shall we go and look for-"

"Ian!"

Screams.

Teeth, and spurting blood.

Wendy's flinching body, her sleepiness slowing her down. White fur, and then we're running.
I hear a cannon above the sound of my breathing and of my feet hitting the hard floor beneath me.
My arms shake against my sides as they push back and forth. My legs spring as both Valora and I jump over rocks and run across straight paths. I still don't know if Wendy is behind me, but I know she must still be alive.

When I no longer hear distant growling, I gradually pull my pace to a full stop, and Valora does the same. I turn around immediately and see Wendy catching up.

"What was that?" Valora asks, panting. She bends down and puts her hands to her knees, attempting to catch her fleeing breaths. She doesn't acknowledge Wendy, who jogs to my side and looks at me.
We both nod.

"I don't know. I don't want to know." I answer, pausing in between some words to draw in oxygen. I realize the mountains were a terrible place to go. The altitude sickness alone could kill us in one. swift touch.

"Mutts, I'm guessing. They looked like wolves, and they tore Ian to shreds." Wendy gasps, in grief, but also fatigue.

"Damn it, Wendy! I just said I didn't want to know." I say over-dramatically. Wendy takes it too seriously, and I realize she's an enemy, and not a friend.

Valora stands up straight, and I take the opportunity to bend down myself. I close my eyes and picture the moments before. Ian had died, and it was scary to picture all of the blood that had come flying out of his body. My dreams are probably laughing at the stockpile of dire images they could use to plague my mind when I sleep.

It's the last thought that runs through my mind, before Valora's hands are shoving me forward and I'm falling.

***

I awake quietly, with skin touching mine.

Wendy's eyes are dead beneath me. The force of my body on hers had doomed her, but saved me. I had landed on top of her; I missed the cannon of her death.

I ache as I stand.

A small lake to the right, trees to the left, the mountain behind me.

I walk to an edge of the mountain, passing a group trees.

I can see the cornucopia sitting solemnly; its a battlefield already fought upon.

I glance back at Wendy, until the grief tells me to go to her.

I hear a slight crack, but my subconscious dismisses it. It was only the leaves beneath my shoes.
I hear it again as I stand still above Wendy's body. My mind goes numb, and erratic thoughts overrun the system of my brain. I cannot control my thoughts, and it's as if I'm running under someone's else's touch. Images plague, and they won't stop.

"Hello?" I ask the air, but there is no answer. My eyes are closed, but I see the mountains clearly. My family and Tawson are waving to me; they are beckoning me to them.

My mind says if I step forward, I'll see my love again. 

Everything else says no.

"Hello?" I ask again, this time less airy and more persistent. There's nothing. My eyes snap open and they are all gone.

Tawson's there. You know he is, he wants you to come home.

Come on, come forward, he's waiting for a kiss.

Your mother and your sister, all here to take you home.

Come on, come forward, it's you that they miss.

The lullaby soothes my mind, as the familiar voice of my love echoes through my head.
It's not him.

I eye the pond near me, and I question the limit of my lungs. Through the thick of the trees, I see a flash of fur and I ease my way into the cool water.

I am engulfed in blue, and hiding from white; my lungs slowly losing life.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 12: ELIAS VECTOR

___________________________________________ 

DISTRICT 13: NAVEEN AHMED

Naveen glared apprehensively at his group of allies, sizing them up. He and Percy had met up with Teagan, Ember, and Layla while traveling westward to the lake. Percy had told him that they were allies he had made before he entered the arena and that by extension, they were his allies as well.

Naveen found this line of reasoning stupid but decided it was better to have four allies than one with a whole backup crew behind him. The other allies he had made before the Games were already dead or had gone in different directions, so latching onto Percy seemed like a smart choice.

The crew themselves didn't seem that bad, Naveen actually seemed to like them all, he just wasn't sure how he felt about having so many allies that he knew he would potentially have to backstab. They were good people and he preferred if he didn't get too attached before it was too late. So Naveen just watched them all, not bothering to help as Percy and Layla fished while the others set up a fire. After all, he was "crippled" so his help wouldn't be worth much anyway.

"Finally," Teagan cheered as a slight fire erupted from the sticks and leaves that the crew had gathered. Teagan wore a smug smile on his face as the rest of the group laughed at their luck.

"Where did you learn to do that?" Ember asked, her eyes wide in wonder.

"I would take my two little brothers out camping in the lumber fields sometimes," Teagan responded with a nostalgic smile as his eyes glazed over.

"You had brothers?" Naveen asked. He had no siblings, only his parents to keep him company.

"Yep, two younger ones," Teagan said.

"I have two younger siblings too," Ember replied. "They're my life. I'd do anything for them."

"Mine too," Teagan replied wistfully. "They're the only thing keeping me going. I need to...." He stopped talking and looked up at his allies. Naveen knew what he was going to say, that he needed to win the games to get back to them. But of course he had to censor himself to protect the alliance for now. After all, people wouldn't appreciate others talking about how they were going to win.

Percy and Layla brought some fish from the lake as the group sat beachside on the warm sand. Naveen made sure to sit with his back to the water, so he could see any threats coming from the forest on the islands. The group enjoyed the fish and bonded for a while, though Naveen tried not to get too attached. But, he couldn't help it. They were all charming, they were all nice.

They're all killers, he told himself in his mind. He knew, that when the going got tough, they would do what needed to be done. He couldn't fault them for it, after all, he would do the exact same thing.

Naveen's eyes looked ahead towards the tropical forest near the lake. The leaves shuffled for just a quick second. Naveen instantly pointed towards them and the group quickly shot to their feet, while he slowly rose with the help from his cane.

The leaves shuffled again and this time, something rolled out of them. The crew anxiously advanced forward to see a spherical object. As they got closer, a gasp rose from each and every one of them. It was the head, well, part of the head, of Elysia Ambrose, the District 3 Female.

"I could have sworn that I already saw her die," Naveen said as he thought back to her exploding off of her platform into a torrent of blood and guts that didn't seem to match her body size.

"Guess that was someone else," Percy said as he examined the head.

"I'd think I'd remember whose ear landed on me," Naveen said. Ember and Layla both shot him disgusted glances. "What? It's true."

Suddenly, they could hear screaming coming from the forest and the crushing of leaves on the ground. They all could hear the heavy panting approaching them. Percy had his trident at the ready as a shadow started to appear from the forest. Most of the group backed up, but Percy stayed ready to strike.

A mop of dirty white hair emerged from the forest. There was a girl attached to it, Acadia Hart, the District 12 Female. Her eyes were full of terror and they seemed to widen even more when she saw the group of tributes. She shrieked, much like she did in the forest, but it was short lived when Percy buried his trident in her chest. She breathed raggedly for a couple of seconds before a cannon went off in the distance.

"You idiot," Naveen said as he looked at Percy in disbelief. He assumed that Percy would be smarter than this.

"No need to be rude," Percy replied while glaring at Naveen.

"I wanted to her to tell us what she was running from," Naveen exclaimed when there was a rumbling from the woods. A cannon blew off in the distance as the trees swayed back and forth. The whole crew backed away from the forest as it seemed to move with the wind. The ground shook as it got closer and gusts of wind pushed the team back.

Out from the forest stood a creature unlike anything Naveen had ever seen. It looked like a bird with its wings and beak, but the lack of feathers and the grey, scaly skin made it evident that it was far from that. A studded tail and long claws completed the menacing appearance of the muttation.

"I'm guessing that," Ember replied as they looked at the animal, which stood three feet tall, though still dangerous. Suddenly, two other of the muttations came out from the forest. They looked the same, the only difference is that something was in their beaks. Naveen realized that the something was Elias Vector, the District 12 Male. Each of the mutts had half of Elias in its beak.

"I'm guessing those," Naveen said. The mutts looked at them like curious animals, analyzing their food before diving in. Then they opened their beaks and squawked, the sound sending shockwaves through the team. It sounded like a crow, dark and aggressive.

"Run," Layla said with a slight tremor. Immediately, the crew ran from the mutts towards the beach. Naveen tried to follow, but his limp leg made it too difficult as they ran on without him.

"Really!" he screamed at their fleeing backs. "You tell to the cripple to run!" He looked back at the mutts as they started to converge on him. He was taller than them, but they had strength in numbers. His lack of speed didn't help matters. Naveen groaned in frustration as the mutt from the left attacked.

He lashed at it with his cane and was able to stab through the chest of the animal. It wasn't blood, but black goo that spurted out from the wound and coated Naveen in its gunk. He shifted away from the animal as it clawed at him. He used the cane to block the attack and intercepted the claw, but was struck by the claw from the other side.

The blow sent him flying across the beach, though he was relatively unharmed. The two other mutts went to go help their wounded ally by swarming Naveen. He swung his cane like a bat and was able to knock one to its side while the other pecked at him with its sharp beak. It pierced his left arm, though not deeply. Naveen bashed it across the head before stabbing at its neck. He was able to plunge the cane deep, but the mutt merely shook off the blow and rapidly turned around. Its spiked tail crashed into Naveen's numb leg and the punctured it, though Naveen didn't feel much pain as he cut the tail off with his cane.

What kind of sadistic idiot makes stuff like this, he thought to himself. The three bird things rushed at him all at once and there was nowhere for Naveen to hide. He rushed forward and stuck his cane into one of the mutt's eye. He shoved it until the cane popped out of from the other side of the creature's skull, covered in the black tar. That seemed to do the trick.

Naveen quickly removed the cane only to turn around to see one of the mutts directly in his face.

"Hi," he sheepishly said as it crowed in his face and spread its wings. "I can explain about your friend," he said as the "animal" tackled him and propelled him into the air. He crawled on top of its wings as he rose higher and higher in the sky. He started frantically stabbing at the animal the higher it ascended when something grabbed him.

The other mutt was also in the air and clasped its beak around his left arm. He tried bashing and stabbing at it with the cane, but it just seemed to take every attack. Its beak tightened the more he abused the mutt, its grip constantly getting stronger. It pulled at Naveen's arm and intense pain shot up from the tip of his fingers up to his shoulder. He screamed in agony as he desperately attacked the one mutt, while the other flew him higher and higher in the air.

"Why won't you die," he said as he stabbed the mutt with the grip on his arm multiple times. It kept pulling harder the more he tried to pull his arm free. Frustrated with the lack of success with that mutt, he plunged the cane into the mutt that was ascending him into the air. He was already twenty-five feet in the air and he feared any higher and the fall would be worse than the beasts.

There was the sound of a stomach-churning rip. A searing pain gathered in his shoulder as the other mutt had suddenly stopped pulling on his arm. Naveen burrowed the cane into the the mutt he was riding, straight into the neck. He twisted the cane as it made a bloodcurdling squawking noise and started to fall to the ground, its wings no longer flapping.

Naveen looked up to see the other mutt flying over him triumphantly and an evil smile swept across Naveen's face. He reared his arm up and tossed his cane straight through the air like a javelin. The floating creature was pierced through the skull and instantly stopped flying and started to crash to the ground. Naveen tried to brace for impact on the creature he rode, but he noticed something was wrong.

Naveen and the two mutts crashed on the beach and spread sand flying in every direction. Naveen could feel blinding pain all over his body but especially in his left shoulder area, which moaned in agony. He took a quick look at the area and his stomach dropped. Naveen felt queasy looking at that side of the body and he realized he needed help quickly. He clawed his way over to the other mutt, who was laying in a puddle of black goo. He removed his cane and forced himself to his feet.

His head felt light and he very slowly and painfully limped his way across the beach, towards where his allies had ran from. He had half the mind to berate them for leaving him, but he needed them now more than ever. Each step was a challenge for Naveen, his shoulder shrieking at him.

Naveen could feel himself losing blood. He looked back to see the river of red he was tracking behind him. It almost made him more nauseated than his arm. Almost.

He forced himself forward, each step wanting to make him collapse against the sand and just die. But he couldn't die, not just yet. He had to live, he had to survive these games. Not for anyone else, but for himself.

Finally, around the corner of the island, he could see his allies, all of them prepared for battle as he slowly limped towards them. They dropped their weapons when they saw it was Naveen and sighed in relief. Those sighs were quickly changed to gasps and screams as they saw the shape he was in.

"Oh my god," Layla said as she fell to the sand, her hands covering her eyes.

"Naveen, no," Percy whispered to himself as he saw his friend approaching, despair in his voice

"What happened?" Ember asked with shock on her face.

Naveen's voice was faint, like a whisper caught in the wind. It was filled with fear, pain, despair, and for the first time since he entered the arena, vulnerability. "Guys," he quietly said. "I think I need help."

Teagan angrily screamed into his hands before chanting, "It's not fair."

Naveen knew the reason for the reactions. All of their emotions and thoughts had already run through his head. He looked back at his shoulder and tears moved down on his face. For he was reminded, that his left arm had been ripped clean off.

___________________________________________ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 42.6K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
233K 5.8K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
1.1M 47.9K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC