The Starving Artist: Hunger G...

Od LSBeddes

Authors, prep your weapons. Spectators prepare for an epic battle between titans of the writing field. The S... Více

So, you want to enter
Meet the Gamemakers: Harrington Octavious
Meet the Gamemakers: Esmeralda Noh
Meet the Gamemakers: Rohe SeNalla
Meet the Gamemakers: Claire Endarhe
An Early Reaping
How to Play
Sponsorships, Task Bonuses and Extensions
S.A. Games Scoring and Entries
**WINNERS OF THE EARLY REAPING**
A Note on Posting Entries
!!! RESERVATIONS !!! -CLOSED-
Links for Tributes and Sponsors
District 1: Female- Cara Everest
District 1: Male- Azrael Thanatos
District 2: Female- Asher Creed
District 2: Male- Lucas Coriellis
District 3: Female- Elysia Ambrose
District 3: Male- Alistair Prague
District 4: Female- Layla Greenthorn
District 4: Male- Percy Cole
District 5: Female- Akari Okada
District 5: Male- Ian Nighy
District 6: Female- Vibia Lightwood
District 6: Male- Izé Locke
District 7: Female- Ember Ross
District 7: Male- Teagan Standards
District 8: Female- Valora Hayes
District 8: Male- Cedar Stockholm
District 9: Female- Caina Sren
District 9: Male- Apollo Barley
District 10: Female- Iris Pond
District 10: Male- Ragnar Wyatt
District 11: Female- Mae Foster
District 11: Male- Demetriot Shields
District 12: Female- Acadia Hart
District 12: Male- Elias Vector
District 13 Female: Wendy Mathews
District 13 Male: Naveen Ahmed
Important Note from the Gamemakers
A Small Change in Plans
Sponsor Silver Lockhearst
Sponsor Ambrose Ward
TASK ONE: THE BEGINNINGS
Task One: Q&A
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE REAPING
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE PARADE
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE INTERVIEW
TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE TRAINING
TASK ONE: Scores
TASK ONE: Rankings
**Gamemaker Sponsorship**
TASK TWO: INTO THE MARSH
Task Two: Q&A
Task Two: SPONSORSHIPS
TASK TWO ENTRIES: MOUNTAIN
TASK TWO ENTRIES: JUNGLE
TASK TWO ENTRIES: DESERT
TASK TWO ENTRIES: LAKE
TASK TWO: Scores
TASK TWO: The Rankings
TASK TWO: Voting
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK THREE: ESMERALDA'S MUTTS
Task Three: Q&A
Task Three: Where is Everyone?
TASK THREE ENTRIES: MALE TRIBUTES
TASK THREE: Scores
TASK THREE: Ranking
TASK THREE: Voting
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK FOUR: CLAIRE'S BRIGADE
Task Four: Q&A
Task Four: Sponsorships
TASK FOUR ENTRIES
TASK FOUR: Scores
TASK FOUR: The Rankings
TASK FOUR: Final Voting
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK FIVE: ROHE'S CHEMICAL FAIRYTALE
TASK FIVE: TRIBUTES' FAIRYTALES
Task Five: Q&A
Task Five: Quick Note on Voting
ENTRY: The Boy Who Cried "Shark!"
ENTRY: A Cinderella's Tale
ENTRY: Ian and the Giants
ENTRY: A Chicken's Side to the Story
ENTRY: Layla Greenthorn
ENTRY: Naveen Ahmed
Task Five: Scoring
Task Five: Rankings
FACES IN THE SKY
TASK SIX: The End Has Come
ENTRY: Akari Okada
ENTRY: Percy Cole
ENTRY: Ian Nighy
The Victor

TASK THREE ENTRIES: FEMALE TRIBUTES

81 12 1
Od LSBeddes

DISTRICT 3: ELYSIA AMBROSE

I frowned as I looked over at the useless pack I had grabbed from the cornucopia. It was lying on its side by a tree where I had kicked it in anger the night before. The crossbow bolts that had filed it were lying all around it, mocking me. I had expected a career to have packed a bag with things that could be useful to survival in the arena, but it seemed he had emptied out everything and filled it with nothing but bolts. I couldn't use a crossbow, and even if I could, his weapon was lying at the bottom of the marsh.

"Are you jus going to sit there staring at them all day or are you going to get rid of them?" Acadia asked, standing in front of me.

A slight frown had appeared on her usually smooth skin.

"What's the point?" I asked walking over and kicking one of the useless bolts. "It's not like he's coming back to get them."

"Lucas wasn't the only tribute who used a crossbow during the training." She shook her head at me.

"You mean the boy from ten?" I asked her as I began to pick up the bolts and shove them back into the bag. "He's dead as well."

She leaned down and started helping me pick them up and shook her head.

"I can't remember who but I'm positive someone else was practicing with a crossbow." She paused for a while, and stopped picking up the bolts. "I know there was someone else," she said, so quiet it was like she was speaking to herself.

"It doesn't matter who, If you say theres still someone who would want these then we should get rid of them." I said her bringing her attention back.

Slipping into our heads in the arena, even for a few seconds, could get us killed.

"We should put some rocks in the bag then throw it in the water, Make sure no one will be able to swim with it." she said standing up straight and looking around us.

"We can add the rocks later. I'm not carrying rocks around." I said pulling the bag over my shoulders. "Did you manage to find anything edible?" I asked as u stomach began to rumble.

We hadn't had anything to eat since the night before, and then it had only been a small piece of bread each and a handful of dried fruit. I was starving and I knew that if we didn't get food soon that we wouldn't have any energy to defend ourselves if we were attacked.

She looked down at her feet before answering.

"I saw Elias," she answered, "he had a bag, and he was eating something."

I smiled at the thought of finally getting something to eat.

"Where was he?" I asked her.

"Not too far from here." She sighed.

I guessed that she was feeling uneasy about stealing from her district partner. I would have had he been mine, but we needed the food. In the games we couldn't afford to feel guilty for stealing, we couldn't feel guilty about anything. It was us or them, and I would choose us every time. I would choose me.

Acadia lowered her head and lead the way through the trees to where she had seen Elias. I followed along behind her keeping my eyes out for other tributes but I couldn't stop my mind from wandering. I thought back to all the deaths I had witnessed the day before in the bloodbath. I knew the images would haunt me for the rest of my life. I tried shaking off the images, there was no time for the guilt, if I wanted to survive I would have to push it to the back of my mind. I needed to be strong. The guilt would have to wait.

Acadia suddenly stopped walking and crouched to the ground, indicating that I should do the same.

I crouched down beside her and followed her line of vision to Elias. He was standing in the lake splashing some water over his face.

I spotted his bag not too far from the water and nodded towards it.

"Keep an eye out for the others," I said passing her my mace since I knew it would make crawling hard. "I'll sneak over there and grab it"

She let out a breath and looked up at me. I could see she felt bad about taking his food but she closed her eyes and nodded in agreement.

As quietly as I could I crawled forward.

As I got closer to the bag a silver glint caught my eye and I looked up at Elias. The light of the burning sun had reflected off the knife in his belt and took in a deep breath. He wouldn't even have to move to kill me if he caught me.

The closer I got the bag the more my hands shook. I feared that at any second he would turn around and see me.

I reached out my hand and grabbed the bag. I pulled it towards me happy at the weight I could feel. he seemed to have a good amount of supplies.

I pulled the bag over my shoulder and started to crawl back to Acadia but stopped when a ear piercing scream ripped through the trees. I was too far away to be Acadia, but close enough to terrify me.

I felt something sharp slice through my cheek and let out a loud yelp. I saw Acadia shoot up from the place she had been hiding a few feet ahead of me.

"Stop!" She shouted.

I felt something hard hit me from behind and push me down to the ground. The bag was forcefully pulled from my shoulder.

"Leave now and I won't kill you." Elias said as Acadia grabbed me by my arms and pulled me up from the ground.

"We're starving Elias," she pleaded.

He opened his mouth to reply but was cut off by another scream this time closer. Elias's eyes widened.

I snapped my head round to see what was behind me and gasped in shock.

The girl from four had just emerged from the trees covered in blood. She let out another scream at whatever it was she could see and tried to run but was knocked down to the ground by something black flying into her.

Seconds later another creature joined the first in attacking the girl.

Her screams grew louder and the three of us turned to run. I hoped the creatures hadn't seen us.

The girls screams died out quickly but almost as soon as they had the boom of a cannon filled my ears.

"What where those things?" Acadia half shrieked when we finally stopped running.

"Lets not wait around to find out," I said continuing to move through the trees.

My heart was pounding harder than it ever had in my entire life.

"It's too late for that," Elias breathed out pointing ahead of me at another one of the creatures.

I started to back up away from the thing but it flew at me. I raised a hand to protect myself but the things skin cut through my hands like a million razor blades and I let out a loud scream.

Just as the first creature flew past another one came at me and I stumbled out of the way but I wasn't quick enough and it caught my arm with its spiked tail and I fell to the ground in agony.

My vision was starting to blur but I could still make out a third creature coming at me. I scrunched my eyes closed and braced myself for the sharp pain of the attack but it never came. When I opened my eyes again Acadia was standing over me, my mace gripped tight in her hands as she swung at the creatures as they came in to attack.

"We have to get away from them" I heard Elias say from beside me and I turned to look at him.

Blood was dripping down his face from a huge gash in his head but somehow he seemed better off than I was.

"Can you carry her?" I heard Acadia shout over the deafening cawing of the creatures.

Elias nodded as he pulled himself up from the ground then picked me up.

"Run," Acadia shouted.

Elias ran with me over his shoulders while Acadia followed behind us using my mace to bat of any creatures that managed to get too close.

"There's a hole in the ground not too far from here," Elias said sounding out of breath. "Its half covered by a tree, if we can make it there, there should be enough room for us all to hide."

I didn't hear Acadia's response because the next thing I knew I was lying on the ground with Elias half on top of me, a spear through his arm.

"Thanks for the tip twelve." Percy from four said coming into my vision and pulling the spear from Elias's arm.

"Get away from them," Acadia shouted swinging my mace in his direction while at the same time trying to keep an eye out for more of the creatures.

"Get away from them," Teagan from seven mocked coming in from behind Acadia and making Percy laugh.

Acadia spun half way trying to keep them both in her sight.

I could hear the Cawing of the creatures once again and knew they had managed to catch up with us, but this time I was thankful because even though there was a high chance they would finish me off there was also a chance they could kill Percy and Teagan.

The bird like creatures flew into Teagan and his screams filled my ears.

I saw Percy turn to run but Acadia ran behind him and smashed my mace into the back of his head. The cannon sounded before his body hit the ground.

Acadia helped Elias to his feet .

"Get us to the hole," She said to him and he nodded.

She then half lifted me letting me put almost all of my weight on her as we followed Elias.

The third cannon sounded as Acadia and Elias helped me into the cramped space. There was just enough room for the three of us to hide.

"We should be safe in here for a while," Elias said as he pulled some bandages and water from his bag.

"I hope so," I heard Acadia's reply before everything turned to black.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 4: LAYLA GREENTHORN

I was running, well, more like hobbling away from it. Although I'm unsure what it is exactly, I have gathered enough information to know that it can inflict pain. And a lot of it. I figured this out because it swung it's miniature mace of a tail at my leg.

Oh, and it flies. I practically jumped for joy when I figured that out. 'Wattpanem, congratulations, you have officially made me sarcastic' I often thought to myself... Sarcastically. This thing is seemingly unstoppable, and so are all of it's friends. The pack hunting my alliance now is composed of four identical beasts total, with their leathery wings beating through the air mercilessly.

I continued to push my weak legs, stinging from the venom from it's tail, to run faster. I prayed that the pain would soon cease. Our alliance of five was hopping from island to island, killing the inhabitants, and hoping to escape what we now all call Flocks. I quickly glanced back to spot Naveen falling hopelessly behind the group. I saw him trip and fall headfirst into the water surrounded by Flocks. Sprinting back to him, I was grateful the two Flocks surrounding him lost interest and flew away to find different prey.

Soon enough, I had reached him. Or what is left of him. All of his upper body was in the water, the rest on the sandy ground beneath my very feet. I could've sworn he was dead. When I pulled him out, I discovered two things, one, he is heavier than he looks, and two, the Flocks got to him. His face was adorned with holes the size of dimes, all from the Flocks blasted tails. These holes were dripping with a purple tinted pus. I gasped and pulled up my pant leg to reveal an identical situation.

My attention was caught by a feeble cough escaping Naveen's lips.

"Omigoshyouralive!" I shouted in one breath. He smiled weakly up at me. His eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. But he wasn't looking at me. He was looking at something behind me. I whip around to see three Flocks gaining up on us.

I cursed under my breath and spun my whole body around to stand up into a better fighting position. They seemed to sneer at me with their black matte beaks. This was the first time I could really get a good look at the ugly little things. As I took in their short height, two legs, wings, round belly, and sharp beak I thought to myself 'they could be called the 4F: Fat, Featherless, Fierce, Flocks'. The thought made me smile, until I realized all three of them were only a few feet away. They looked angry, maybe they could read minds and they knew I just insulted them. As they growled and inched closer, I spun my sword in my hand nervously. Sweat trickled down my neck under the hot sun that reflected across the water surrounding me.

Just before they pounced, Percy, Teagan, and Ember all came up behind the beasts and sliced their black heads cleanly off. The ratio of people to Flocks was 1:1, it was so perfect, it almost looked staged. The three slayers swung their weapons in unison, and it all left me in a state of awe."Took ya long enough" I said through fits of internal laughter. It was so ridiculous, they are all so heroic, then there's me, who accidentally killed a girl at the cornucopia. 'And couldn't even save herself from a few demon birds' I mentally inserted. How did I end up in such a good alliance?I sighed and watched them be all heroic looking while they cleaned their weapons from the Flocks' purple tinted blood and guts.

We walked to a safer looking island to set up camp. Against his wishes, Naveen was carried there by Teagan. It looked like there had been a miniature blood bath here on the island we decided on. It was fairly small, but big enough to fit all five of us once we cleared it off. There were bodies, body parts, and who-knows-what scattered everywhere. I sighed and began to work on pushing it all into the lake.

A familiar head floated to the top and I let out a shrill scream. This head belonged to someone I despised since the games began; Elysia. Her face was bruised, bloody, and for once, weak looking. I smiled, I didn't defeat her like I wanted to, but someone did. And now that annoying girl is dead.

___________________________________________ 

DISTRICT 5:  AKARI OKADA

The sun beat down on me furiously as I traveled across the desert. Wind gusted sand across the dunes as they danced like waves in the ocean. Some sand blew into my eyes, making me tear up.

The supplies were only a few miles out, so fortunately, I didn't have to walk too far. The spot in the distance grew larger, until I could clearly make out the boxes of supplies.

As I drew closer, I saw a shadowy figure just in front of the supplies. It towered over me by three feet at least. It looked like a rhino, and its scaly skin was a dark shade of gray. As my eyes scanned it, I couldn't miss the horn in the center of its skull, which was made out of metal and sharpened to a point. Its eyes were blood-red as they bore into mine.

Shivers ran up and down my spine, as icy fear slid its way into my chest. The rhino stomped one of its hooves into the ground, stirring up sand. It reared back, and then growled a deep, rumbling sound that made me want to cover my ears.

It charged right for me.

I stayed perfectly still, outwardly calm like I had so many times before. I counted in my head. If I moved too soon, it would have time to change direction and come for me again, which would mean I wouldn't have time to dodge again. But if I waited too late...

It would kill me.

The timing of my dodge had to be absolutely perfect.

Three, two... one...now! I dove to the side as it brushed right by me. The breeze it kicked up from running passed me, slammed into me and caused me to stumble back and fall face first into the sand. As I stood back up, the sand made my eyes water and burn. I swiped at them as I searched for it again. It had turned and was preparing to charge again.

All of the sudden, there was a heavy pounding from behind me. I turned and saw another one almost upon me. I tried to twist to the right to dodge, but the side of its head clipped my left shoulder.

My katana went flying. I had no time to see where it landed.

Pain flared from my shoulder all the way down my arm. I clutched it and winced, just as the first one charged again.

My eyes fell upon the supplies. Without thinking, I headed straight for the pile. As I reached the first box, I jumped over it, landing awkwardly on the other side.

My left shoulder slammed into the ground. I gritted my teeth, wincing at the pain, but forced my aching legs to stand.

The first rhino broke through the supplies, shattering all the boxes. A few of them exploded, which threw sand up in a violent tornado. Supplies rained down everywhere.

I was thrown backwards from the force of the explosion. My right ear rang, and my head was pounding. As I struggled back to my feet, I frantically searched everywhere for the rhino.

It stood amidst the rubble, with a dazed look on its face. Smoke rose from its hide in places. It shook its head, and its eyes fell upon me. I could see the confusion quickly turn to hate once again.

The second rhino had not been idle either. It had quickly changed direction and was almost up next to the first rhino. As the second rhino passed the first, it kicked aside a box that somehow had managed to stay fully intact. The box tumbled over several times. As the box tumbled, it broke open, revealing packs of medicine inside.

I started to dash for it. I desperately needed it, but my eyes caught both the rhinos snort and lower their heads. I knew I didn't have enough time. I would have to leave the supplies behind. There was no way I would survive a second pass. I felt searing pain in my left side, and I fought to ignore it. I had no choice but to run.

I turned and fled as fast as my weary legs could carry me. Breathing was getting difficult, and I was gasping for air in short rasps. Black spots danced at the edge of my vision, but I tried desperately to force my vision to clear.

Ryosuke, Megumi, Toshi. I repeated their names in my mind, until they became a chant, one that urged me forward, that compelled me to fight and to survive.

Eventually, I came upon some large rocks that were scattered around the area. In the desert, I knew the rocks would be the only cover for miles. I darted forward and dove behind the two largest ones. They were slightly curved, which provided a temporary hiding place from the rhinos.

Their hooves pounded on the sand noisily. Every time I heard one of them take a step, breathe, or growl, I flinched.

I looked down to assess my injuries. My arm had stopped bleeding from the arrow that had hit it, but the veins surrounding it were dark. I swallowed back bile, knowing that it was infected.

My shoulder was badly bruised, but I didn't think it was broken, just sprained. My eyes grew heavy, and I fought to keep them open.

When I glanced at my side, a piece of wood from one of the boxes was sticking out of it. I breathed deeply.

Placing my hands upon it, I yanked it out.

I gritted my teeth and bit my tongue to keep from screaming. I couldn't make any noise or the rhino's would find me. Pain overtook me, and my vision was completely blackened.

When I woke, I pressed left hand against the wound, and used my right one to tear off the bottom of my shirt. I wrapped it around my waist once, making sure it was tight enough to hopefully stop the bleeding in my side.

My mouth tasted like sandpaper and I was sweating badly. I needed water and I needed it now.

I was stuck underneath two rocks. My katana was lost, and all the supplies had been blown to bits. I had nothing, no food and no water. My side needed to be sewed up, and my arm was infected. The two rhinos were still pacing right outside.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't survive until the night.

As for the next morning, there was no hope.

___________________________________________ 

 DISTRICT 6: VIBIA LIGHTWOOD

Vibia continued to run through the jungle full of vibrant leaves and plants until the soles of her feet burn. So when she sees a large tree with huge, green leaves to provide protection from the sun, she takes the opportunity to sit down.

Vibia presses her back against the cool, sappy, bark of the tree and takes a deep breath. The fact that she was in the Starving Artist Games still hasn't completely settled in. I may not make it out of here alive, she thinks as she wipes the dried, crimson red blood off of her knife. She places the knife at her side, and opens her backpack. Inside was a sleeping bag, rope, package of jerky, an empty water bottle, and a dosage of poison. She picks up the bottle of poison, examining the light blue liquid. She knew what is was almost immediately. The liquid had come from nightlock.

As she reloads her equipment into the backpack, she swings it and the crossbow over her shoulder and gazes up at the tree. She begins to scale it, her hands grabbing the different stumps and branches as she climbs up about twenty feet. Vibia swings her legs over a long, thick, sturdy branch, and uses the rope to secure herself there. She knew that she would have to find better shelter, but as the sun sets, and darkness slowly comes in, she knew that the tree was the best place to sleep.

Vibia keep a hand gripped on her knife as she dozed off. And she jumps awake, positioning her knife as the WattPanem anthem plays, and the faces of the deceased tributes shine in the night sky. Vibia takes a deep breath of relief when she realizes it was only the WattPanem anthem. She stared at the faces in the sky. District 2, 9, and 10 were all dead, along with a few others. She silently thanked God that half the career pack was dead.

Vibia puts her knife back down, ready to fall back asleep, when a pair bright green eyes stare at her in the darkness. Vibia creases her eyebrows in confusion. She doesn't recall an animal with eyes like that. A mutation, Vibia thinks.

She is quick to act, speedily untying the rope and shoving it in her backpack, and holding her knife out in front of her. More eyes start to glow, moving closer to Vibia. By the time she had climbed off the tree, a few of them were in front of her, perched on a tree, and it almost seemed as if their fang-filled mouths were grinning malevolently.

The creatures were small, only a few inches tall. It looked like they could be smaller versions of lemurs, but they had almost robotic looking hind legs that were slightly crooked. Fangs protrude out of their mouths, dripping with fresh blood. One hisses at Vibia, baring it's pointed teeth. She swings her knife at it, and for moment she thought she had missed, but the upper half of the small mutt landed on her shoulder, bleeding out onto her.

By then, they were many of them. All of them staring at her. Vibia backs away, her knife still pointed at them. But these creatures were fast. Too fast.

A few of them had already pounced on her as she began to sprint. They landed on her back, their fangs tearing through the leather of her jacket and boring into her skin. Vibia lets out a small, hushed cry of pain. It felt as if the animals were sucking the blood out of her.

Vibia continues to run, as the creatures follow her, jumping from tree to tree and trailing behind her. They continue to jump on her, chewing on her flesh and attempting to suck every drop of blood out of her. Vibia attempted to shake them off as she ran, but their tiny, sharp fangs were locked into her flesh.

She slashes her knife around, aiming at the green-eyed creatures, slicing them in half or stabbing them through their tiny, genetically engineered hearts. But there must've been hundreds of them, because they just keep coming for her.

Vibia swings her knife, initially thinking she was going to hit a mutt or just slash it through the air, but it slices through a person. He cries out in pain, the knife deeply wounding him, stabbing him in the stomach.

Vibia recognizes him as the boy from District 3, Alistair Prague. A heard of the creatures flock towards him, and he yells in pain. Alistair manages to scream, "Damn you Lightwood!"

Her mouth hangs open in shock as the creatures chew on his skin as he screams in pain. Vibia had truly not meant to do that. Well, she thinks. At least another one's dead.

Boom! A cannon goes off in the distance, making certain branches shake. A small group of the wide-eyed creatures leap up onto Vibia's shoulder, chewing on her collarbone, bicep, and shoulder. One crawls into her ear, and she cries out in pain.

Vibia's vision starts to get blurry, the colors are less vibrant, and when she looks down at her hands, she sees four, not two. She stumbles as she feels her blood being ripped away from her. She continues to slash her knife around, stabbing the deadly creatures and hearing their small, weak, whimpers of pain.

The creatures continue to chew her skin and follow her as she runs. A skinny, tall silhouette appears in front of her. Vibia can barely make out the tribute in the darkness, but she recognizes her as Mae Foster. "What the -" Mae begins, but Vibia uses her knife and stabs her violently in stomach. Deep down, she knew that was wrong, but maybe the creatures would go for Mae instead of her.

And, shockingly, the mutts do jump down on Mae, as the bite her skin and suck her blood. The creatures leave me as I run a couple more yards. It almost seems like they couldn't get to her. Vibia takes a deep breath, pressing herself against a tree. Yet right when she thought she could rest, she heard a quiet moan of pain behind her.

Turning around, she sees the boy from District 1, Azrael Thanatos, lying on the ground. His skin was pale, and he had bite marks all over him, along with missing pieces of skin that exposed his bones. He was suffering, there was no doubt about it. He looks at Vibia, his expression full of pain. "Kill me," he mumbles, some blood spewing from his mouth. She nods.

So Vibia stumbles over to him, her vision blurry, and stabs him in the chest. She darts into a clump of trees, she feels insanely guilty to think that Azrael was the fourth person she'd killed in the Starving Artist Games.

___________________________________________ 

DISTRICT 7: EMBER ROSS

I followed Naveen through the woods my arms full of the large logs he had ripped off of trees. Sweat covered my skin and mosquitoes feasted on my blood leaving itchy welts behind. As we continued further into the woods my load increased gaining in weight and height."You're tired," Naveen cooed in a mocking tone. I stepped over a fallen log balancing my load carefully as to not drop it."I've done more exhausting things than this back home," I retorted not really in the mood for his games. He cracked off another large branch tossing it onto my stack and ignoring my glare."Alright time to head back." He turned sharply on his heel moving particularly fast for someone who had a bad leg. We walked in silence back to the beach where the others were waiting. Teagan was searching the sand for his arrows while Layla scavenged for weapons. She gave me a warm smile and I replied with one of my own. I had a feeling I was going to like her. Resting the logs down in the sand I stood resting my hands on my hips. Running a hand through my sweaty and matted hair I set to work on the shelter. Naveen sat down making himself comfortable and resting his cane on his lap. Setting to work I began digging in the sand and stabbing logs in the small holes I had scraped out with my dagger. Soon it was easy to see that a crude structure was taking shape. I was completely happened in my work that I only lost focus when a loud scream rang through the dimming sky causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end. I jumped grasping my dagger before resting on the balls of my feet. My eyes rested on Percy who was punching and kicking one of the fallen Flocks with tears running down his cheeks. He was crying and yelling completely hysterical. I wasn't the only one watching him completely appalled at his sudden change of attitude. Snapping out of my daze I tossed aside the log I held in my hand and scrambled down the sand. If he kept yelling like this we were dead. Not only could it attract other tributes but creatures as well. Reaching him I wrapped my arms tightly around him to keep him from struggling.

"Percy! Stop!" He didn't seem to hear me and continued thrashing causing one of his arms to come loose and hit me in the nose. I could feel the warm gush of blood already flowing. Now angry I re-did my grip only this time I picked him up and slammed him hard into the ground. He stopped for a moment just long enough for me to use one of my restraining holds. He continued to struggle while I held him down not daring to take my eyes off of him. Minutes passed before his body relaxed and I loosened my grip. Rolling off of him I slumped against the sand my heart racing. It took me a moment to realize he was crying. Still angry about his yelling I grabbed him by the shoulder and rolled his body over. I was stunned into silence ,my anger receding. His eyes were squeezed tightly shut, his bottom lip trembling, and his face wet with grains of sand sticking to his cheeks. "What happened?" I whispered. "I-It moved. It was d-dead a-and it moved." Glancing over at the mangled corpse I poked it with my foot and nothing out of the ordinary happened. "It's dead. See?" It felt like I was talking to a child. He nodded propping himself up on his elbow. "Sorry. I didn't mean-" "It's fine," I said getting to my feet and offering him my hand. He took it and I tugged him to his feet. He dusted himself off and stared at his shoes. "Sorry about your nose," He said awkwardly starting a slow pace back to camp. "It's fine I've had worse," I said coolly. He seemed slightly taken a back by my response.He opened his mouth to speak but I held up a hand cutting him off.

"We can talk once we get back. Help me with the shelter and I'll explain." He nodded and I jogged a head of him so that I could leave him with his thoughts. "What was that about?" Teagan pressed. "Just a break down. The Flock twitched or something." He bit his bottom lip looking at Percy with concern. He reached out resting a hand on my shoulder and I tensed. He seemed to notice and retracted it with an apology. "If you don't mind I think we need to talk." His eyes were weary as he studied each member of our group. "Later, okay?" I sighed. Turning I made my way back to the half finished shelter. Layla was on her knees digging holes and sharpening logs before placing them in the ground. She was creating a ring of spikes around the camp, at least it was some sort of defense. Percy had also joined the joint effort to get our shelter completed having completed his trip down the beach. The two of them were talking quietly and I decided not to intrude on the conversation as I settled into a relatively comfortable position and continued my work. An hour or so later when night was creeping in and consuming the rays of light we sat huddled around a small fire eating what little meat Teagan had acquired from the Flocks. "We need someone to keep watch," Percy noted giving me a side ways glance. I had no idea what that meant but as soon as the words came from his mouth Layla yawned. "Get some rest Layla, after the poison fiasco you need it." She gave me a grateful look and stood going over to the small shelter and curling up in a ball. "Well I'm not staying up I need my beauty sleep," Naveen grumbled also leaving the small fire behind. That left me, Teagan, and Percy to watch the dying coals. The silence that followed was full of nervous movement and restless fidgeting. "Ember, what happened to your nose?" Teagan asked, seeming to notice it for the first time. I knew it had swelled a little but I also knew it wasn't broken. "That was me," Percy said raising a timid hand. "Sorry about that, again." I rolled my eyes picking up a stick and stoking the fire as best as I could. "Like I said, not my worst encounter." Again there was another moment of silence. "What do you mean by that?" Percy asked. I took a shaky breath dusting off my hands and leaning back using my arms to hold my weight. "Contrary to belief I'm not some sweet little girl." "No kidding," Percy said wincing and rubbing his shoulder. He probably hurt it when I body slammed him, I couldn't help but smirk. "Back home I did some pretty bad things. My family and I, we live in the Slums. My Dad is getting older and he can't meet the quota as much as he used to. My mom died a few days after my brother was born. Things got really bad and there were multiple times when we almost starved to death. I started working but I was angry at the capital. One day in the woods when I was whacking away at some stupid tree a Peacekeeper started poking fun at me. He said I was frail and useless. Which was wrong, despite my appearance, I was one of the best workers they had at my age. So I hit him and I didn't stop. I received punishment of course but I got noticed. I was noticed by one of the best street fighters there was. He trained me, taught me every bit of martial arts I know to this day, he taught me multiple disarming techniques and the proper way to use a blade. He became my mentor and soon I was part of the ISFA; Illegal Street Fighters' Association. That's what we called ourselves. Fights were set up and bets were held. It became a part of my life and a majority of my income. So I guess you could say I'm used to pain." They didn't say anything as I finished and instead my words hung in the air. "I have to take care of my family too," Teagan replied looking at me with that same understanding gaze as earlier and for the first time I didn't feel alone. For the first time in years I let my guard down. I guess the games did change people, whether that was good or bad, I didn't care. "I guess we're all broken it just matters whether you choose to admit it or not," Percy whispered looking at Naveen in particular. "Believe me he knows," Teagan said ,nodding in Naveen's direction, all of us knowing that Percy had implied Naveen's leg . "Ember?" I looked up at Teagan to see a sincere expression on his face. "If you make it out of here, will you take care of my family?" I gave him a shaky smile. "Taking care of people is what I do best," I said gesturing to Percy both of them knowing that I was referring to his meltdown. "If I don't make it, will you take this to my family? Would you take care of them?" I asked holding up my ring. He nodded solemnly. "It's what I do best." With the conversation over I averted my gaze and instead I watched as Percy picked something up from the edge of the fire. "Look guys it's an Ember." Percy held up a glowing piece of wood before dropping it and wincing. "That burns!" "Well what can I say? I'm hot," I teased. With that the three of us let out a nervous laugh and I could feel our bond strengthen. Sitting we gazed up at the fake stars pointing out our favorite constellations when I heard it. A screech come from just inside the woods. Springing to my feet I grabbed my dagger. I knew that sound. "Flocks," Teagan spat. "Keep them away from the camp, go!" Percy ordered. We took off heading straight for the brush. Visibility was low but I followed the breathing and sound of footsteps coming from my allies. Hearing another terrible noise I darted to the left breaking out into a clearing where two Flocks stood waiting. Teagan and Percy arrived shortly. Studying the beasts their eyes seemed to glow in the dark. Suddenly I remembered the two girls from earlier today. 12's female tribute and 3's female tribute brutally mangled by these beasts. "What's the plan?" Teagan inquired. "Kill every last one of these suckers," I said darting forward and heading for the first of the two. It sprang forward almost as eager as I was. It lunged trying to catch me in its beak when I side stepped and plunged my knife into its neck. It jerked back so that I was dangling above the ground. "Hey ugly!" Percy called getting its attention. Cocking his arm back he threw his spear which shredded one of the creatures wings. It cried out in pain and In that momentary distraction I swung up and onto its back. Ripping out my knife I plunged it between the creatures shoulder blades. As it toppled to the ground an arrow jutted out of its forehead. Hearing a yelp from behind me I turned to see Teagan being stalked by the other beast. Percy pulled his spear out of the ground and together we attacked. I slammed my shoulder into the monster feeling my skin rip but it was enough to knock the beast off course. Percy dodged its tail ducking beneath the monster and thrusting his clear upwards. It plunged into the monster's thigh. With a roar it spun nearly trampling Percy and causing him to leave his spear embedded in the monster. Slipping in and out of its view I placed strategical cuts on its limbs, not very deep, but producing a lot of blood. As it acquired more injuries it slowed allowing Teagan to get a clear shot. With an arrow to the chest it dropped to the ground with a garbled yelp. Covered in blood and sweat we stood shoulder to shoulder panting. "I guess we head back," Percy gasped. "Yeah," Teagan replied though it took us a while to move. Back on the beach we woke Layla and Naveen seeing as how it was their turn for watch. Laying on the sand I closed my eyes but I couldn't stop thinking. We may be from different districts, we may be competitors, but the capital was wrong. We weren't different, we were children stuck in the same twisted game. We had found each other despite everything. We weren't just allies, we were friends.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 8: VALORA HAYES

The girl that Cedar and I had brought along with us was named Asher and although we had known each other for only a few hours, she was had a strong and fiery spirit. She went off to find a private place to use the bathroom when we heard a scream ring out from a mass of bushes. I sprinted in the direction of the scream, hoping that it wasn't Asher. I could feel Cedar trying to get a grip on my jacket to pull me back to our little camping spot. The screaming continued as I pushed myself harder, we were so close to her. Cedar managed to latch himself onto my jacket, jerking me backward into his chest. I twisted in his arms and tried to push him off of me.

"What's wrong with you? That could be Asher!" I screeched like a banshee in his face. Spit flew from my lips in my new anger toward him. Why did I bother to try and trust this moron in the first place? He was just going to turn his back at the first opportunity he got. He was heartless enough to let a little girl die.

"She's not here, Val."

I continued to punch at his chest and wiggled away from him. I know we were in a televised game meant to kill one another, but I wasn't ready to kill him just yet. He was still home to me, but if he kept this bull crap up I'd make sure no one else would get a chance to spill his blood. "She's dying! Let me go, Cedar."

"She's dead. She didn't make it last night, Val." He pinned my arms to my side to keep me from hitting him. The screaming had finally ceased and a quiet fell over the us. "Come on. Snap out of it and think for a second."

My body went rigid as the memory of seeing her body posted up against a tree. Asher's body was barely recognizable from how mauled it was. The only recognizable features about her was her long black hair and doll like eyes. Blood was spattered across the mountain ground. Her innards were missing as was everything below her elbows. Her face had claw marks that stretched from the high of her brow to the mid of her neck.

"But she just went to the bathroom. I watched her walk this way a few minutes ago."

"That was last night." He explained as I stared off blankly in the direction that the screams had come from.

"She's gone."

"Yes and we should get back and pack before whatever that was finds us."

I let him pull me back to our campsite to pack up our little makeshift beds. I didn't want to believe it, but it was real. That happened last night and she was gone from this world forever. Cedar packed our stuff while I stood in a daze still shocked and confused. My mind was betraying me it seemed. She was here I was so sure of it. I talked to her this morning, she wanted to go higher for cleaner water soon. Was Cedar lying to me or was I losing my mind? Cedar walked off into a bit of trees not far from where our campsite was. I could see his back clearly from where I stood, but that was all.

I took one last look at Cedar and his brown shaggy hair. I was confused and my feelings were all mixed up, but I needed to see who had died. If it was Asher, then my hands would be stained with his blood. I snuck away from the site as quietly and fast as possible. I almost felt like I was lost as I searched for any sign of a body. I hadn't imagined that scream so there had to be body somewhere. The first sign that something was wrong the stink of dog and death.

As I came upon the scene, I saw a pack of white wolves snacking on the district thirteen girl's intestine. Their fur was matted with her blood. I covered my mouth to prevent myself from screaming my head off. I had to get back to Cedar and tell him what was hunting us. I took off at a full sprint, hoping that nothing would follow. In a panic, I ran in circles and lost the campsite and my only piece of home. I should have stayed with him, instead of wandering off.

A howl resounded from somewhere around me that I couldn't discern. I stumbled and fell on my face like some jelly-legged creature I had never seen. I pushed myself up in time to see one of the wolves standing five feet in front of me. I spit out the dirt that I had gathered from my fall and started to back up. I kept my eyes cast down, trying to show some subordination to it. Ian suddenly, jumped out from behind it and flew onto it's back.

"Don't look into it's eyes."

I stared in disbelief as Ian stabbed the wolf right in it's jugular, blood spewed out in waves. He was trying to save me from this thing. It wasn't something I had expected from him, but I was grateful. The wolf fell into a slump beneath him. He wiped the blood from his dagger and helped me up. He stalked off into the trees leaving me with a dead wolf. I took after Ian so that I could be close by another human. I let out a scream as another wolf leaped out of nowhere and knocked Ian to the ground. He was fighting to push it off of him. I pulled out one of my darts and my blow dart. I had laced it with some poison that Asher had found and shot it into the wolf's eye. It wasn't my best aim, but it distracted it. It went berserk and took a chunk out of Ian's leg. I jumped onto it, unsheathing my own dagger and gutted it like a fish. It died quickly and Ian threw it off of him.

"What did you mean, don't look it in the eyes?"

"It entrances you. I watched it do the same with Wendy." Ian sat up on his elbows as he explained.

"Thanks. I'll keep that in mind."

With that I stabbed Ian right in his belly button. I dragged it up cutting open his stomach like I did the wolf. His eyes widened in shock as he breathed his last breath. One more tribute down, now to get away from this crazy ass mountain and find Cedar.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 11: MAE FOSTER

Alone.

I was completely and utterly alone in the arena, with 14 other tributes that wanted me dead. And then there was the Capitol, who had probably squealed with delight when Demetriot died, gasped when Caina was killed. They might have felt a small bit of emotion, but they didn't truly feel the pain of being alone. They cry when we cry, but none of it is real for them.

It was real for me. And I hated them for that.

I tried so hard not to shed a tear when Demetriot died, because to show emotion would make it real. And in a competition like this, emotion was a weakness, and I couldn't afford weakness. Not when my family expected me home.

So I sat against a tree, seething with anger and hatred and fear and sadness. But in the smallest bit of my heart, I still had hope. I had to win, to return back to my mom and all my brothers and sisters. Then there was the promise I made Demetriot. I had to get his brother to safety and away from the Capitol. So I was going to fight my way through these horrible games to make sure I didn't break the promise, or I'd die trying.

A quiet noise brought me out of my thoughts and back into reality. I looked around, gripping the hilt of Demetriot's sword even tighter. The bag of daggers was still strung on my back, and after rummaging through them I found it also had a days worth of food and an empty bottle for water. I had left his bow on him when he died. There weren't any arrows left, and I felt horrible enough taking the sword.

The noise came from somewhere in the trees. It was a high-pitched chirping noise, almost like a bird but not quite.

I couldn't see what had made it because of the darkness, which seemed to overpower any source of light. My heart was racing, and I was afraid that whatever that was out there could hear it beating.I held onto the sword even tighter.

The noise came again, it was getting louder which could only mean its source was getting closer.My only hope was that it was another tribute making some sort of bird call, but I knew it wasn't. This sound was inhuman, and very unnatural.

Yet again I heard it, and this time when I looked in its direction I saw hundreds of neon green eyes.

Oh no.

This had to have been one of the Gamemakers' idea of making the games more exciting, and these creatures in front of me were most likely more bloodthirsty than anything I had ever encountered.The eyes all blunk simultaneously, then when they reappeared they were much closer.

I considered climbing a tree, to try and get away from the things, but then I saw that they weren't looking at me. The green eyes had there gaze focused on something past me, their next prey. Still, I tried to stay as still as possible, just in case they decided I would make a better victim.

But the green eyes continued to travel past me and further into the forest. I pitied the person they were going to attack.

After several more minutes, I loosened my grip on the sword and my heart rate went back to normal. A sudden shriek startled me again.

It was a scream of agony, and of an amount of pain the person wasn't expecting. It was also fairly feminine, and nearby. I guessed the victim was that District 6 girl, who I had seen running into the forest behind me.

And as I heard the screams end and the cannon sound, I was more afraid of the green-eyed creatures than any tribute in the arena. Then, when the helicopter came to pick up the body and the thing they picked up was a half eaten, lifeless corpse of a girl, I threw up.

In fear, my legs started to run further into the forest, desperately trying to get away. I wasn't even thinking about where I was going, only that I had to get away from the monsters that ate her.

It might have been my brain imagining the noise, but I was sure I heard them following me. The chirping never ceased and it only made me run even faster.

But my run stopped short when the trees came to an end and I was standing on the edge of what looked like a never ending cliff. I almost fell into it, but thankfully grabbed onto a tree before I could fly off into the abyss.

Of all the places I could have been, this seemed like the worst one. I was completely cornered if anything wanted to kill me. I silently scolded myself for acting so rashly and in fear, then winding up in such a horrible place.

"You're in a rough spot, aren't you?" snickered a voice.

I tried to put on an emotionless face and turned towards the person who had spoken. Standing there was Alistair Prague, a towering giant from district 3. I had always thought I was tall, but Alistair was a good foot taller than me.

"Looks like it," I said. Both of my hands were gripping onto my sword, but my right hand was ready to let go and grab a knife from my bag at any time.

"You see those things?" he asked.

I hoped he wouldn't keep talking, because I didn't think I'd be able to do it, to kill him, if he did. Instead of replying, I just nodded, glancing down at the two daggers that were in his hands.

"They're horrifying."

Shut up, Alistair.

"Did you see that Vibia girl's body?"

I shut my eyes tightly, trying to block out his talking. He needed to stop, he was just making this so much harder.

"I ran away from them too, and heard you."

If he said another word, I was sure my brain would be reminded about how human he was and not attack him. But I had to, and he had to be quiet.

"Now-"

I slashed at him with my sword, and made a deep gash in his leg.

"Shut up!" I heard myself yell, although I didn't feel like I had any control.

His knife was too fast as it buried itself into my arm, and my right arm to make it even worse. I still swung my sword into his side, but with less force than I had hoped. The impact only made him stumble, although I could see the blood on his shirt.

Then, before he could stab me again, thousands of the green-eyed things launched themselves at him, and they enveloped him in a wave of silver and green. The creatures themselves were smaller than my hand, and I could see their teeth gleaming in the small bit of light.

Alistair screamed, a similar sound to Vibia's but much louder and more haunting.

I almost stepped back to get away from the things, but they were in a hoard in front of me with the cliff behind me.

Basically, either way I went I was going to die.

There was nothing I could do, the things were too fast and too small to hit with my sword. So, I watched them tear apart Alistair and suck the life out of him. And as the cannon sounded, I knew I was their next target.

I couldn't see any way I could survive this as their hundreds of little eyes turned towards me, bored with their last prey.

Figuring that I had to at least try to survive, I just ran. My legs carried me over Alistair's dead body, through the silver monsters, and back into the forest.

The creatures latched onto me as I ran through them, but they only slowed me down a little. I wasn't going to stop until I reached the edge of the swamp and I knew there was a considerable distance between me and the man-eating creatures.

I dodged between the trees, occasionally hitting one and either knocking off one of the monsters or scraping my arm. My energy was slowly draining as they drank my blood, so I tried hitting them off with my spare hand. They weren't letting go and instead latched onto my arms.

When spots began to cloud my vision I slowed down. The pain of the monsters was starting to dwindle down as my consciousness started to slip.

Death couldn't be that bad, could it? Wouldn't it be a quick escape from everything? I wouldn't have to worry, and the peacefulness of being asleep started to wash over me.

I was about to close my eyes when I remembered the sword in my hand.

Demetriot's sword.

A small reminder of the promises I had made, to make it home and to my family. To keep his brother safe from all harm.

And it was those promises that kept me alive, kept me breathing and awake.

I fell onto the ground as I began to feel more lethargic, but I still had hope. I started to roll around on the ground, smashing the creatures below me. And before too long, I was covered with both their blood and mine, along with a layer of dirt.

Wounds covered my arms and legs, and I knew they would get infected with all the grime over me. But I was tired, so tired.

So I just lightly brushed off the dirt and crawled towards the trunk of a tree. I curled up like I had earlier, my back to where the cliff was, and allowed myself to go to sleep.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 12: ACADIA HART

 We set up camp on a small sand deposit just a little off the main beach. Last night consisted of resting and watching the competition shrink, but today was meant to get things done. As Elysia checked the bags, I had decided to check the water surrounding our camp. It would be a luxury to have a large water source.

I cupped my hands and brought a small pool of water to my face. I gave it a quick whiff before sipping a small ration of it. As the water swished around in random directions, my mouth was soon filled with the taste of salt and a thin layer of slime. Ew.

"No luck on the water." I said, making my way to Elysia's area. "What about you?"

She turned to me with a discouraged look, hinting her lack of luck as well. I took a peak inside each bag, feeling quite disappointed myself. One bag contained at least twenty crossbow bolts, which is a bit unfortunate for the both of us, the person with a useless crossbow and myself. The other had some food, but the two of us could eat all of it for breakfast.

We both sighed. I crouched in front of the bolts, thinking of a way to fix our predicament. Soon enough, a wonderful idea sprouted in my head.

"What if we steal from someone?" I asked out of the blue. "You know, to get supplies without having to go back to the Cornucopia?"

Elysia looked at me eagerly. "We could do it right now! I saw someone go into the forest on the main island!"

I agreed. We started to prepare by emptying the bags, and equipping our weapons neatly. I grabbed the crossbow bolts and tossed them into the ocean, then buried them under the sea floor. We ate our little amount of food on the way to the island, the splashes from our feet in the shallow water made our boots rather salty.

Upon entering the forest, the sounds of animals, birds, and swaying leaves filled the air. It was quite relaxing, except every now and then the squawks of crows would temporarily silence the area. Why would the gamemakers put crows in the Arena? Out of all the pretty birds they could've added. they chose crows. Very creative guys.

Out of nowhere, Elysia began to climb the nearest tree, signaling me to as well. A gave her a look like "Are you insane child?" as I shimmied up behind her. Sure enough, as I reached the top, there was a vacant campsite in the middle of a small clearing.

"Whoever's camp this is will return soon." I whispered. "We need to hurry."

I jumped to the ground as Elysia watched from above. The camp was surrounded by small random piles, each one containing something useful. I scanned the area until I found a pile of fruit, rolls, and dried meat. Then filled the bag with as much of it as I could.

As I raced back up the tree, the crows from earlier were suddenly closer, along with the commotion of a nearby tribute. I watched as the District 4 male leaped into the clearing, unarmed against these flying demon cactus, crow imitating creatures. A trio of them swarmed him, making small, deep gashes throughout his whole body. After his struggle finally ceased, the mutts wandered the camp, and a cannon announced his death soon after.

I nervously inched to the edge of the tree to see a full view of his body. Besides all the blood and the cuts, I could see the majority of his eyes were now gone. The horrible image made me light headed, and I had to grab a branch to keep from falling.

I was alert once again as the crack of the branch echoed through the area. The mutts stared at me, causing me to panic. Upon instinct, I leaped from the tree and ran, Elysia close behind.

As we raced through the forest , the mutts brought three more of their kind with them, making it more difficult to stay ahead. My mind was racing, trying to think of a way to delay them. My only option was to throw one of my knives, in hopes it would stop one of them.

I gripped the knife tightly in my hand, using my ears to guess where one might be. I slid to a stop, and turned before throwing the knife. I anxiously looked for the knife's location, but instead had the other mutts charge me to the ground.

The gashes formed on my arms, legs, and body almost immediately. Each cut felt like a tracker jacker sting, my warm blood only making it worse. Elysia attempted to help, but only ended up encountering a few mutts herself. I clashed about hoping they would leave, but it was no use. I wanted to give up, my weapon was out of reach, how else could I survive? I closed my eyes, my head pounding from the loud cries of the mutts.

Suddenly, the sound of a knife whizzing into a mutt jolted me awake. I looked around desperately, until I found the source. My body was filled with glee, I somehow managed to sit up through the remaining wrath of the mutts. My partner finally came. Elias would manage to save me, and we would become allies just like we discussed on the train.

But it never ended that way.

Elias was immediately charged by the mutts, becoming swarmed like they did to me. I screamed as there was nothing I could do. Elysia quickly helped me up, but instead tried to keep us hidden.

"We need to save him!" I said, hoping she would stop.

" Do you have a death wish or something?" She asked angrily. "If we try to help, we'll all get killed!"

"He's my partner Elysia!" I begged. "Please!"

She still disagreed. After practically dragging me into hiding, I watched as his strength faded. The mutts eventually flew off, and the cannon echoed soon after. The empty bag was used to muffle my sobs, and it was completely silent. It may me feel dead inside, especially when I met his nonexistent eyes.

___________________________________________

DISTRICT 13: WENDY MATHEWS

The sound of gushing water draws me in like a moth to a flame. It forces my legs to move, because where there's water, there's survival. And I want to survive. Oh Lord, I've never wanted anything more than to live.

But surviving isn't living. However, that's all we've done our whole life, isn't it? We fool ourselves into thinking that we're living, when in fact we're just surviving. I follow the sound and the smell of water—many people don't believe that water has a smell or a taste, but when it's the only thing you crave, nothing else can beat it.

The trek leads me to a waterfall and I drop to my knees on the edge. I put my hand into the water and I'm about to bring it back to my mouth when I see the blood that has tainted my hands. Tears stream down my face without me realising as I rub away vigorously at my hands. No amount of scrubbing will ever wash the blood off my hands.

I'm a killer. I have killed to save my own damned soul and although I'm desperately clinging on to that light that is my mum and dad, I see them slip through my fingers. I push the thoughts away. Thoughts like these are poisonous to the mind—they'll get me nowhere but six feet under, if I'm even lucky enough to get a proper burial. Doubt it. I doubt so many things now.

Once I make sure my hands are as clean as possible, I wait a few minutes for the blood to be pushed along before I dare to drink. My throat is dry as sandpaper and I devour the water like my life depends on it. I fill my stomach up until I am so full that I cannot seem to breathe.

I fall onto the soft grass that surrounds the waterfall and I laugh. I laugh until my insides hurt and I laugh until the tears burn my eyes like acid. I continue my hysterics, not caring if the others hear me. I want them to.

I'm so lonely. So very lonely.

As soon as the bloodbath started at the cornucopia, I've lost control of everything. My nerves, my body, my mind. I don't know how many people are dead. I didn't count the canons sounding off. I'm not sure if any of my allies are still alive. It was stupid of us to think that any of this was going to work out the way we wanted. What's the point of having friends that you would later have to stab in the back? Or forced to slit their throats in order to save your own neck?

It's stupid. Allies—the whole thing is stupid. This game is stupid. The Capitol is stupid. What gives them the right to play God with people's life? How would they feel if their child was here? Their lover, their sister, their cousin...what about their brother? How would they feel, huh?

I grip the dagger tight in my hand as I stare up into the sky. The flickers of sunshine poking through the branches of the trees make me smile. It's not real, I know. We're cooped up in a dome like lab rats. At least the rats in the labs aren't forced to kill each other—how lucky they are?

A small grin makes its way onto my face, followed by a dark and twisted thought. I can end this now.

Just slice the knife against your throat like your cutting through butter. It'll be easy, I promise.

"It's always better to take the easy way out, right?" a voice pierces through my thoughts. "No drama, no bullshit."

I jump to my feet, my eyes darting around wildly. "Who's there?" My heart is thumping in my chest. There's nothing but the sound of the water rolling over the edge and the twitting of birds.

"I'm the big bad wolf, of course!" There's a haughty laughter and I try to pinpoint the voice. "Who else would it be?"

The voice sounds eerily familiar but my mind has switched into defence mode and won't let me process it further.

"Come out, I know you're there!"

"Now what fun would that be if I reveal myself?" the person speaks. "My illusion will only work better if you can't see me."

"This isn't a game!"

"Oh! But it is, my dear little sister. The best kind, if you ask me."

My body goes numb and I've lost all willpower to speak or even breathe. My knees wobble but I command them to keep me standing and I shake my head. It can't be—it just can't be!

There's rustling and a tall figure steps out from behind a tree.

"M-Mason?" I shake my head. This is some sort of trick! It has to be. My brother is dead—he's dead and this person standing in front of me is nothing but an illusion!

Mason grins. "Hello, little sis. Long time no see. Surprised?"

Surprised doesn't even begin to explain how I feel. My body and mind are numb.

"H-ho..how are y-you..." The words can't seem to leave my mouth. Mason's grin stays fixated on his face. He moves towards me and I take a step back. He pauses and frowns.

"Don't be scared, Wendy. It's okay, it's me." His eyes never leave mine and this time when he steps towards me, I stay in my spot. Mason smiles and reaches for the pocket watch dangling from my neck. It's bloodstained and he lifts it up. "See?" He smiles. "I told you I'd keep my promise."

I just stare at him. He can't be real. He can't be here...

He isn't real, Wendy. He isn't here. He's probably a mutation designed by the Game makers to throw you off your game. He isn't real...

"I'm real, Wendy. I'm right here. Open your eyes and see, please." Mason places a hand under my chin and lifts it up. I force my eyes to open slowly, not realising I had closed them and I find myself staring into blue irises swirling with a hint of green and honey.

"Then start it," I say.

Mason looks confused. "Start what?"

"Start the watch!" My eyes tear up. "It's what you promised! You promised that you'd win the games and when you did; you'd come back and start the watch. It'll be like nothing ever happened, like you didn't get ripped away from me and mum and dad. But this," I stop to look around my surrounding. "This isn't what you promised! I wasn't supposed to kill anyone! I hate this game, Mason! I hate it and I don't want to play anymore!"

Mason sighs and pulls me into his chest, wrapping his warm arms around my trembling figure. "It's okay, it's okay. I'll make it all better. I'm your big brother, Wendy. I'll always protect you. Just come with me and I'll make sure to stop this game."

I pull away. "No. This isn't right."

"It's okay, I'll protect you." Mason tugs at my hand. "We can get out of here. We can go back home to mum and dad. I promise I'll keep you safe. Don't you trust me, Wendy?"

How can I possibly trust him? He isn't real.

"How are you still here? How are you still alive?" I ask, my voice croaking.

"Believe it or not, but I kicked some serious ass." Mason laughs but I don't join him. He sees this and stops, sighing. "I've been hiding."

"Why?"

"Because when you can no longer run or fight, you hide."

"W-why didn't you come back home, then?"

Mason suddenly stiffens. His whole composure changes and his eyes survey the surrounding. Something about him changes but it's such a rapid change that I miss it.

"Someone's coming," he hisses. "We have to go now! You have to trust me on this!" He grabs my hands and before I can protest he starts pulling me along, but I don't disobey. Something tells me to listen to him, to trust him and I go along with the feeling.

Until I hear a loud scream.

"Wendy, no!"

A knife whizzes past me and strikes Mason behind the neck. I stumble back in fear and shock and that's when everything changes. A gruesome howl resonates throughout the entire arena and Mason is no longer Mason. In his place now stands a large menacing white wolf and it lunges at its attacker, Valora Haynes, shredding her to pieces within seconds. When she stops kicking and the wolf moves aside, it's white fur is dyed red and dripping with blood and pieces of flesh hangs from it's canines as it snarls and bears its teeth at me.

My body springs into action and I don't even know what I'm going. The wolf gets ready to attack and as it lunges at me, there's another loud cry and Cedar Stockholm, the district 8 male, comes charging out of the trees with a sword in his hands.

The wolf turns to counteract the attack but Cedar is skilful. He brings his sword down with a vengeful scream, slicing the beast in half. He's breathing heavily, his chest heaving up and down. It takes a while for him to notice the mangled body of his companion and when he does, the colour completely drains from his face and it looks like he is about to be sick.

"Valora...oh God...oh God..." He slaps a hand over his mouth and looks away from her. His expression changes when his eyes land on me.

"We need to go. She's gone," he says.

All I can do is stare at the dead wolf.

"Did you hear me? We need to go, there's probably more of them out here!" Cedar starts walking away from the waterfall.

I force myself to move and follow him. We pass a few caves but Cedar continues moving.

"They probably lurk around in caves," he says. "We need to find higher grounds and hide there. Maybe a tree, because I don't think they can climb and we'll be able to spot them and the others easily."

We find a large tree and climb up. We sit opposite each other, eyeing one another off. I'm still holding the dagger tight in my grip and Cedar has his sword, still coated with the blood of the white wolf.

My brother is really gone.

And the big bad wolves have come out to play.

___________________________________________  

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

226M 6.9M 92
Officially now a series! Watch it for free on MediaCorp's Youtube Channel- MediaCorp Drama. ...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
487K 10.3K 37
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
653K 32.6K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...