Slow burn PART 2

By Heartmyart

BOOK 2- This is the continuation of Renzo and Kat's story, with added BONUS chapters from characters like Dan... More

BONUS CHAPTER (Dante's POV)
Chapter 1 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 14 BONUS (Dante's POV)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Dante's POV) BONUS
Chapter 24 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 29 (Renzo-short)
Chapter 30 (Dante's POV) BONUS
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 (Dante'sPOV)
Chapter 37 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 38 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 39 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 45 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 46 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 53 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 56
Chapter 57 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 58 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 59
Chapter 61
Chapter 62 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 63
Chapter 64 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 65 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 66
Chapter 67 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 68
Chapter 69 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 70 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 71
BONUS (Renzo on Campus)
BONUS (One year later)
BONUS (4 years later)

Chapter 60

14.2K 457 119
By Heartmyart

        I haven't spoken to Renzo since our confrontation the other day. I think we both have some things to figure out. Mostly me. He's right in saying that I never trust him. But I'm also right in saying I can't have my life revolve around him and his support. 

There are two different kinds of 'support'. One is when someone has your back and is there to help you when needed. The other is having someone take care of you completely to the point of you having nothing of your own. To the point of needing the person. 

       Now that the Vittoria mess is cleared up I never want to speak of her again. He cut her out of his life, and that should stay in the past. But for us to have a future I need to stand on my own two feet, so that we're equals.

I guess that depends on if Renzo is even going to want this relationship after everything. I know I ran away unfairly. I know we both have faults. He had a lot to say the other day and I think he needs time to digest all that. I hope to speak to him soon and get to a better place with him. There are just a few things I need to sort out first.

        I had worked a pretty late shift last night because the drawers were kind of a mess for some reason. I had to sort all that out before I could go home. It made me sleep in, so I was only just up at 2pm. I cringed when I went to my coffee machine and realized I had no more coffee. 

The best thing about living in a city is that things are never too far away from wherever you are. There's a cafe down the road. I checked the temperature and it wasn't unbearable for a quick walk to grab a coffee. 

I put a stylish hat on to keep warm and just a plain sweater. I just grabbed my phone and a few dollars that I had on the side table from the change I got the other day. Only bad thing about city coffee is that it's pricier than it should be. I don't even get the fancy drinks either.

        I walked out of the house absentmindedly while shoving my phone into my sweater pocket, but my head snapped up when I heard my name being called. "Kat, hey" I saw an arm wave. It was Rylee just stepping out of his car. 

My gut flipped because I've been feeling suspicious of him ever since that odd incident with my mail, and his comment about my affording a townhouse. Still, I remained friendly. "Hello, Rylee. How are you?" I asked him as I often do. His charming smile never leaves him. 

"Are you off to work?" He asked me when he got onto the same sidewalk I was on. "Um, no. That's later on. I was actually on my way to grab a coffee. I ran out at home and only just realized" I chuckled.

        "I hate when that happens. The cafe down the street is good though. I go sometimes when working from home" he told me. Sometimes I wonder if I truly am being paranoid and this guy is a complete average joe...other times I think I shouldn't question my gut. 

The guys haven't updated me on any issues with my neighbor though. If anything I think I can get a better feel for him than they can. Conversations like these can reveal a lot if done right. 

"Yes, that's where I'm headed now. You're welcome to join me if you care to warm your bones" I pretended to rub my arms like I had a chill. He paused and tipped his head in thought. "You know what, yeah, that'd be great. Were you gonna walk?" He asked me. I nodded.

        "I don't have a car. I'm saving up for school" I told him. It's innocent information, but I'd like to ask him some questions too. I figure he won't feel strange about it if I offer him details of my life willingly. "Oh good. Do you know which school yet?" He turned and motioned for us to start walking down to the cafe together. 

"I don't. I'm going to apply to a few and just decide from there. I don't exactly know what I wanna do yet" I shrugged. I felt his eyes shift down to me. "You're young, huh?" He made that clear observation. 

"Yes, I just turned 22," again all innocent information. "Oh wow, I didn't even realize that. You're just starting out. It's an exciting time. You should enjoy it" he told me. "I won't ask if you're an old man, but I assume you're a few years older" I teased him. He chuckled. "Yeah...my 30's are looming" he kept up with the banter.

        "How'd you meet the boyfriend then? He seems closer to my age...not that there's anything wrong with that" he quickly added at the end. "Um, work" I thought I told him this before. He likes bringing up Renzo though. That shouldn't make me uneasy but it does. 

"It's a newer relationship then" he made that random observation as we were crossing the street to get to the cafe. "Sorta" I shrugged. I made a mistake there. "Wow, and you live together already" he said it 'innocently', but not really. His comments can come off as judgemental. Just like the comment of me not being able to afford the townhouse.

        "I'm an incurable romantic" I played silly. Let him think I'm young and clueless. "Aw, well nothing wrong with that" he waved it off. Good, I'm glad he didn't pry. Since we had already gotten to the cafe door he opened it for me and let me walk in first. There was only one person in the line in front of us, so we didn't linger long before ordering. 

Rylee ended up trying to pay for my coffee, but I gasped and told him no way. Still we argued over who pays until he just shoved the cash at the woman behind the counter and won. "You'll get them next time" he nodded that it was okay. Next time, huh.

        "Let's sit for a minute? It's chilly out there" Rylee suggested. Fine by me. I wanna ask some questions now. "Are you originally from here?" I asked him as we grabbed a corner table. It was a two person table, so the space was small. It kept us face to face, which was good because I wanted to read into his demeanor and expressions with each question I ask. 

"I am. I was born and raised just a city away. My parents moved to a quieter town, but I like the city life." His answer showed no red flags. "No girlfriends for you?" I took a sip of my drink, and left my eyes shifted up to await his answer. "No, not right now."

        "Busy with life, I'm sure. Your job sounded demanding" I brought things around to Mr. Medical report guy. "It's not so bad. I'm mostly traumatized by my ex" he smirked, which showed me he was just kidding. It made me laugh. 

"Tell me about it. My ex cheated" I shrugged. "On you? Must not have been a very smart guy" he made a comment that could have borderline come off as flirtatious, but I guess it can also just be polite. To say you're worth more than that. Which I am.

"I was too young to understand what we had wasn't real" I shrugged again. His eyes lingered on me. "You seem like a sweet girl. And a smart one. I hope the new guy treats you better" he patted the table between us. 

He took a sip of his drink right after, which gave him reason to shift his eyes down. I didn't comment on it. I don't want to talk about Renzo with him. Rylee looked down at his phone and noted the time. 

        "Gosh, you know what, we should get going. I need to get back" he took his now empty coffee and stood to toss it out. I still had half of mine. Goodness, did he burn his throat throwing that back so quickly. My coffee was still so warm. I stood when he did, and again he opened the door for me and escorted me out.

"Kat, I've been wanting to make a comment, but I don't exactly know how to word it without coming off as, I don't know, rude or something" he caught my attention as we waited to cross the road again. My gut flipped. What comment does he want to make? I shoved my hand in my sweater pocket so I wouldn't wring my fingers together with worry. 

        "Um, sure, just tell me" I gave him the okay. He pressed his lips together and tipped his brown eyes up in thought. "Well...I don't think your boyfriend likes me very much, and I guess I just wanted to know if I did something to offend him" he brought things back to Renzo. I took a long breath.

"He has a somewhat abrasive personality, but he has no qualms with you" I assured him. He chuckled to himself for a second. "You two make a funny dynamic. Opposites attract indeed" he nudged me to show me he was being playful. I still read into his words. 

"He's a good guy" I stuck up for my half-ex boyfriend- boyfriend. "Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as rude. I just meant you're very sweet and friendly" he changed his words. 

"Yes, I like being externally kind. Showing a friendly face. Expecting good in others and showing the same to them.. Renzo is internally kind. He's helped me alot when I was very new to the city and in need of serious work" I again defended him. Stop talking about Renzo.

        I picked up the pace in my walking, so we got home sooner than the walk down to the cafe in the first place. I took a long sip of my drink, so I could stop talking. "This was nice, Kat. I enjoyed getting to know a little more about you. I believe you when you say Renzo just has a different personality type. I hope to see you both again. He'd like me better if he got to know me, I'm sure" Rylee smiled his charming smile again. 

He ran a hand through his unruly hair from the slight wind that was starting to pick up. We'd just gotten to the townhouse, so he let me in first. "I'm sure. Have a good day, Rylee" I waved to him and made my way up the stairs. I heard him call after me to have a good day too.

        I'm not sure what to think about him. I don't like when he brings Renzo up. It makes me feel like he wants to know more about him. Maybe it's because he feels uncomfortable that Renzo doesn't like him. Renzo surely hasn't hidden his disdain towards our neighbor. I usually give others the benefit of the doubt, but I've grown a lot as a person. 

Even though I want to remain good, kind, and optimistic I have also seen too much to let myself be blind to trouble ever again. I think it's time the guys tell me what exactly they found out about my neighbor. I want to know exactly who it is I'm living above.

        My thoughts were interrupted when there was suddenly a knock on my door. I don't know why I felt freaked out, but if this is Rylee...then what the heck does he want? I had just come in. I didn't see anyone else outside. When there was a second knock after my long hesitation I scurried to the door and opened it. 

My heart stopped. "We need to talk." 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: Hello Readers!! I think I will be ending this series at Chapter 71 (with a few bonus flash forward chapters) 

-It's been surreal how quickly this story blew up. THANKYOU. But I had only originally written 76 chapters. So between April 27-May 21...which is only 3 weeks, I wrote and edited 105 NEW chapters for you guys between the original Slow burn and the Added Chapters. It's a lot of work but I love all of you for reading along with me. -

As always, so much love and appreciation for you all. I hope to see you reading my new story that are uploading to my page by the end of this book. It's been real y 'all<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 10.3K 79
BOOK 3 OF THE DE'MARCO SERIES. This book is a part of a series, but can be read as a standalone, please read the last paragraph for detailss. •••••••...
52.2K 1.9K 35
UPDATES EVERY MONDAY! Vivienne Lee is pretty sure her next-door neighbor is a serial killer. What else could explain his creepily minimalistic apartm...
254K 5.5K 88
{COMPLETE} When Isabella's wedding ceremony is ruined by the one and only Kyzer Caruso, he kidnaps her and forces her to love him, no matter how long...
901K 32.9K 69
-COMPLETE- [09. 10. 20. - 03. 06. 21] Angelo Giovanni had eyes for a certain fiery black haired beauty. No matter what he couldn't just get enough of...