Slow burn PART 2

By Heartmyart

BOOK 2- This is the continuation of Renzo and Kat's story, with added BONUS chapters from characters like Dan... More

BONUS CHAPTER (Dante's POV)
Chapter 1 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 14 BONUS (Dante's POV)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Dante's POV) BONUS
Chapter 24 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 29 (Renzo-short)
Chapter 30 (Dante's POV) BONUS
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 (Dante'sPOV)
Chapter 37 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 38 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 39 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 45 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 46 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 52 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 53 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 56
Chapter 57 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 58 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 63
Chapter 64 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 65 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 66
Chapter 67 (Renzo's POV)
Chapter 68
Chapter 69 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 70 (Dante's POV)
Chapter 71
BONUS (Renzo on Campus)
BONUS (One year later)
BONUS (4 years later)

Chapter 51

13.2K 457 32
By Heartmyart

         Grace was a vision. Her vintage white dress was perfect for a forest elopement. Her hair was swept up beautifully with the dainty flower detailing I put in for her. She did makeup that brightened the face of this blushing bride. I knew Rocco would indeed swoon at the sight of her. 

I wore fresh makeup and kept it light since my vintage dress was a midnight blue. I loved the way it fit on me, and fell nicely to just above my feet so the fabric wouldn't drag on the forest ground. My hair fell perfectly down my back, and I was ready to take some lovely pictures with the people I've come to care a lot for. 

        The men were to be escorted to the wedding arbor by Roger, and Mary told us to call for her when us girls were ready to go. We'd told them we wanted the bride and groom separate until the ceremony, and they were more than happy to accommodate us. 

We were surprised when Mary led us to a golf cart that drove us down this dirt road leading us to the ledge where the elopement was meant to be had. I knew the view was going to be gorgeous, and I was right when I saw the sprawling hills below us. 

        The sky was a slate of blue with the sun's rays shining down on all of us. With the sky as a beautiful backdrop the leaves of the still full trees were stunning colors. The type of yellow a kid with a crayon would make the sun in a picture. The kind of orange that pops. 

They almost glowed against the light pushing through them. Leaves that were shaded in the kind of red that's so sure of itself, it stands bold against the other colors. The color green was still around just not at the forefront. It was a peek at the season before this one, one that is shedding in a scatter of colors on the ground below.

       The day couldn't be more picture perfect. When Grace and I arrived I could see the men standing together in waiting. They weren't in tuxes, but they were in suits. It is commonplace for them, and yet they all looked so handsome like this was a new sight our eyes were seeing for the first time. 

Rocco stood with a proud chest just in front of the flowered arbor they would be marrying under. There was a man we weren't familiar with and I assumed he was the one who would be ordained and legally allowed to marry the two. 

        Renzo stood just behind his brother as his best man. His shoulders were squared off perfectly. His suit was all black, which was the style I preferred on him. It suited his dark aura so well. It fell as a backdrop for his sparkling blue eyes that stood out against the lack of other colors. 

It matched the lining of his thick dark lashes, which were like the edges of a shadowed forest. You have to step closer to see what's beyond them, and by that point you're already near enough to the sin incarnate to be captured by him. Consumed.

Dante was sitting on the small bench they had where the minimal amount of guests could view the ceremony. There was a flattened path which made the walkway for the bride. We had no flowers for her to hold, but she didn't care. 

        When all eyes shifted to us I knew it was my time to walk forward. My heart skipped a beat when I felt Renzo's eyes on me for the first time since our brief eye contact yesterday. This time they stayed locked on me. My breathing was more rapid than I would have liked. I used my slow walk to the altar to control it. 

This isn't about you. This is about Grace and Rocco. Don't look at him, Kat. 

I tried to tell myself this exact thought on repeat, and yet I found my eyes coming back up to his. Time slowed down for a second. The sky, the rolling hills, the colored leaves, and the man a shade too dark. I was overwhelmed. He's so darn beautiful. He's so darn tragic.

        When I made it closer to the arbor archway I finally dropped my gaze from his. I tried to smile at Rocco instead, but everything inside my mind was so scrambled I don't even know if I actually did. I just took my place and looked down at Grace. 

I motioned for Dante to take a picture, which he did. The bride was as lovely as expected. She took her time walking to her groom and her eyes were glued on him. She held so much emotion in her eyes. When I glanced at Rocco I saw the same. Love was in the air. The crisp early autumn air. And yet I still couldn't breathe. 

        Grace's name is perfectly suited to her. If I were to describe this exact moment, her reaching her about-to-be husband, I would call it grace and poise. A comfort settled between man and wife when they finally reached for each other's hands. How incredible must that be?

I glanced at Dante who gave me a thumbs up. I smiled at him, but turned my eyes to the man who was about to start the short ceremony. I actively avoided looking over Rocco's shoulder. Don't look at him, Kat. 

        "Hello everyone, I'm glad you've all come together to witness the joining of," the man glanced down at the paper in his hand and continued, "Rocco Revello and soon to be wife Grace Revello." I thought I saw Grace shiver when she heard the name out loud. Grace Revello, of the Revello crime family. 

"I love to perform intimate wedding ceremonies such as this one because the love, the loyalty, and friendship is so present amongst all of you here today. Many believe this to be the most important day of their lives, so please take a moment to really look around, and look at the bride and groom. Remember this day" the man spoke in a lovely way.

My eyes did as he said and I took another look around. I looked over the edge where our view showed the forest surrounding us. I looked at my friends. Him. 

        "To me, an elopement shows excitement. It shows the eagerness to combine lives and make the ultimate promise of a forever with someone. Rocco, Grace, would you like to say a few words to each other before we get to the 'I dos'?" He asked them. Rocco cleared his throat, which showed us he did want to speak.

    "Grace, you made me a changed man. A man who wants to promise a forever with someone. Not someone...you. I think it was love at first sight for me. I know you wavered in the beginning, but I hope I never do anything throughout our marriage, our lives, that ever makes you waver again. I love you" Rocco told her. 

I felt a tear in my eye, so I can only imagine Grace's. Gosh, he's so well spoken.

        When Rocco said 'love at first sight' I couldn't help recalling the words of Renzo when he told me he was 'spellbound since the sidewalk', which to me felt like an admittance of love at first sight. I guess it wasn't the truth, but at the time my heart was so full of love. 

As if Renzo had the same thought his eyes snapped over to mine. I quickly dropped my head down to stare at my own feet, and wrung my fingers in front of me. Dante sat with ease on the bench. I wondered if he noticed the tension at all. 

It was Grace's turn to say something, but she was sniffling already. 

     "You're making me ruin my makeup" were her first words, which made us all chuckle. "Rocco, I didn't think I'd find someone so perfect for me. A man who meets my every need, who is thoughtful, and loving. Not to mention handsome," she said the last part in a more playful way. "I have no hesitation or doubt when I promise to commit myself to you, and you always" Grace finished gracefully. 

They squeezed the hands they were holding and smiled at one another. I was a ball of emotions right now. With their beautiful exchange of words and my ex-boyfriend's eyes on me...I've never felt more love and pain in the same breath. My eyes were teary, but I was smiling. 

        The ordainman quietly told the couple those were beautiful words and continued with his part of the ceremony. "We'll keep this short and sweet. Do you, Grace, take Rocco's hand in marriage. To have and to hold through good times and bad?" He asked her first. Without pause I heard her voice confidently state, "I do." 

Eyes turned to the groom now. "Do you, Rocco, take Grace's hand in marriage? To have and to hold through good times and bad?" I couldn't help my eyes from lifting again. They were met by a heated blue gaze. I can never read him, but I wish I could right now. What are those eyes saying? 

"I do" I heard Rocco speak just as confidently. "Then I now pronounce you husband and wife" the man concluded the ceremony. I started to clap uncontrollably as the bride and groom shared a passionate kiss. Dante whistled, and I physically turned my body away so I wouldn't look at Renzo anymore.

        The new Revello couple took hands and instead of walking down the aisle they walked past the arbor archway and took in the view. "This is it" I heard Rocco mutter to his wife. They kissed again. I felt a hand clasp my shoulder, and my spine stiffened for a single second when I thought it could be him. Instead it was Dante and he was taking in the view too. 

"Take a tissue you baby" he shoved a Kleenex in my face, which made me laugh because I was sniffling like a fool. Grace was teary eyed too, so I'm not alone in this. I'm an emotional girl. And a sentimental one. What's more sentimental than this? 

        "Alright, grab the champagne. We need to toast to the new bride and groom" Dante clapped his hands together and actually walked up to a cooler which in fact did have a bottle of champagne. There was a sleeve of plastic champagne glasses beside it.

Dante handed Renzo the bottle while he grabbed the glasses. I watched Renzo's handsome hands work the cork before he popped it, and only a small bit of foam sloshed out. He held the bottle up and said, "To the bride and groom. Good luck brother." 

His voice was so deep and almost raspy for being quiet for so long. Dante started pouring drinks while Rocco and Renzo shared a bro hug. I grabbed Grace at the same moment and congratulated her and Rocco once he was looking again. 

        When we all had glasses we brought them together in the center of this small circle. "To the bride and groom. Your love inspires us all" I found myself saying without my permission. Not that they were bad words, I just didn't want his eyes on me. Or for him to think my words had anything to do with him. It was just a kind word to the couple. Truly.

We clinked our cups and all took a sip, which broke up the moment. Grace was all smiles and it was so good to see. I can ignore my own heart for a little while and celebrate this with happiness instead of sadness. "Let's stay here to celebrate. I love the view" Grace asked her husband. 

        First we asked Mary to take some photos of the group. After that, Rocco nodded and thanked the ordainman and the old couple. He told them they were free to leave. We didn't mind taking the short walk back to the B&B when we were ready to. 

"I knew you'd say that. That's why I brought more booze" Dante announced. We all praised his wonderful idea and poured more champagne amongst us.

The slight breeze made me shiver, but the warm sun felt good on my exposed arms. This dress is gorgeous, but it is October. With the liquor slowly entering my system I knew I would feel a flush soon enough. 

When I think of pink tinted cheeks I think of Renzo. He loved them. He'd brush the backs of his fingers down the blush. He'd smirk when he made me sheepish or nervous. Yeah, I really shouldn't think of any of that while drinking.

-

        As expected most of us got pretty tipsy...okay a little more than tipsy while we celebrated the elopement. Renzo volunteered not to drink so he could be the one to get us home because we don't have a reservation for another night's stay. We'll leave soon. 

"OH! Goodness, the speeches" my tipsy mouth announced halfway into the party. We had music playing from my phone, but Dante lowered it when they heard my words. "As maid of honor I would like to make a speech dear Grace" I turned to the bride. She giggled and urged me to do so. I probably should have done this sober, but here we go.

        "Grace, you were an unexpected friend that I am very grateful for. Helping Rocco plan your engagement was special to me, even before I knew you'd be so lovely. And Rocco, you've always been very kind to me and so disarming unlike many Revello's" I let slip out. They chuckled so I guess it was received well. 

"Grace, you weren't there the day Rocco first mentioned you to me, but I knew you shared such a genuine love when he couldn't help but smile at the mention of your name. And Rocco, she smiles just the same way when talking about you. I hope your life is filled with so many smiles, smiling until you're old and gray and have the wrinkled smile lines to prove it. I've really come to see you all as such good friends. I'll be honored to watch even half of those smiles and share them with you. Congrats guys" I held up my glass of whiskey ginger. 

Everyone cheered and Grace gave me a big hug to thank me for my nice words. I hope they were nice. I'm a little fuzzy.

        I guess I inspired Renzo to fulfill his best man title and also give a speech. He clasped his brother's shoulder and although his face was stone, and his voice was even but unmoved, he spoke to his brother. 

  "I'll have a more formal and thought out speech during your actual reception at your second wedding, but to say a few words...Rocco, you've always been the 'good brother', the 'good' son, the 'good' friend. I knew you deserved things just as good as you are, and I think when you found love in Grace you found the 'good' life I wanted for you. It doesn't surprise me that you ended up here at the altar. I think I knew this is where your relationship would end up from very early on, because I saw how far under your skin Grace had gotten."

 Renzo's eyes were on his brother, but I saw the slight shift in them when he stated, "I think once a woman gets that far under your skin you'll always have her there. So, let this union be a fruitful one. Congrats brother."

        My heart was beating out of my chest. He didn't exactly look at me, but his eyes shifted slightly. Why? What was he looking at when he said 'a woman that far under your skin you'll always have her there'. Maybe I'm just reaching for words I wish pertained to me. 

Instead of peeling back the layers of his statement I took another drink. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 7.5K 50
Book Two in the Their Girl Duet. Lorenzo, Alec and Freddie are prepared to burn the world down in order to find Alissandra and get her back from Ant...
434K 10.2K 79
BOOK 3 OF THE DE'MARCO SERIES. This book is a part of a series, but can be read as a standalone, please read the last paragraph for detailss. •••••••...
51.9K 1.9K 35
UPDATES EVERY MONDAY! Vivienne Lee is pretty sure her next-door neighbor is a serial killer. What else could explain his creepily minimalistic apartm...
464K 12K 63
A man claimed by the devil. A woman claimed by no one. Until him. Santo Romano is a monster. His family relies on him to torture and kill. It's his...