42

Aliyah

Tonight was one of those nights where I can't fall asleep.

It doesn't matter how hard I try, I can't seem to fall asleep.

I've ready taken a hot bath to try and sooth myself to sleep. I've put on white noise. I've tried to fall asleep in silence.

Nothing.

So now I'm in the living room trying to get some work done. Might as well work if you're not gonna sleep, right?

I've been answering emails for the last two hours and still have way too many to get through.

I was doing that, but there was a sudden knock on my door.

It's nearly two in the morning. Why is someone here?

I was about to forget about whoever was here and go up to my room. That is until I heard the voice from the person outside.

"Aliyah! Open up!"

I walked over to the front door, unlocked it and opened it to see Niall leaning against the door frame.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him while opening the door wider for him to enter.

"I didn't was to me home with Mully. He wouldn't stop asking me questions, so I came here," he answered stumbling inside.

"You didn't drive here did you?" 

"Walked," he simply answered.

"Can you explain to me why you're here?"

"I already told you why,"

"Why was Mully asking you questions?"

"I don't know, ask him,"

"You gotta know at least the seat thing about why," I kept pushing.

"I know why he was continuously asking questions I just don't want to talk about it,"

"You seem to be in a bad mood," I sighed. "I want to hel-"

"I love you," he spits out.

"You obviously don't know what you're saying, let's go," I said as I began going up the stairs hoping he would follow me.

"I know what I'm saying, Aliyah," he said as I started hearing him follow me.

"Just go to bed and we can talk about it tomorrow alright?" I asked.

"Fine," he sighed as he took off his shoes and climbed into my bed. "But this won't change what I just said,"

"I don't care, sleep on it and if you still want to talk about what you said then let me know when you wake up," I began walking to the door.

"Can you come cuddle with me? I'm sad," he frowned.

"I'll see you in the morning Niall," I sighed shutting the door and making my way back downstairs.

What the hell?

He can't just say that he loves me.

He's saying it in a friendly way right?

I hope so.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts to my phone ringing beside me. I looked at the caller ID and it was none other that Mully.

"He's there right?" He instantly asked once I answered.

"He is,"

"And did he have anything to say to you?"

"Uh, yeah, kinda," I mumbled. "I gotta go, I'll talk to you some other time,"

I know it may be bad to say this, but I hope he didn't mean that in a way where we were together.

I mean, we've said I love you to each other in a friendly way. At least I have.

Mariah was right.

She knew that he liked me. Loved me even.

I quickly dialed her number and put it on speaker.

"Please answer, please answer,"

"Hmmm, why are you calling me so early?" I heard her mumbled when she answered.

"You were right,"

"Huh. What? Right about what? Be more specific,"

"About Niall," I answered. "He came over and it's very obvious that he's drunk. He told me he loved me,"

"Oh god," she said shocked. "Do you want me to come over?"

"No, no, it's alright," I told her. "I'm gonna ask him tomorrow if he meant it in like a friend way or more, I'm fine,"

"Let me know if you need me there or you need to come over, I'm here for you," she reassured me.

"Thank you, Mariah. I appreciate it,"

"You're very welcome," she said before hanging up.

What am I gonna do?

*

It was now seven in the morning and I still haven't had an ounce of sleep. Of course being me, my thoughts kept me awake.

Just as I was about to fall asleep sitting up on the couch, a new thought came into my mind and I spent the next 45 minutes thinking about that one singular thing.

"Did you just wake up too?" Michael asked me as he came out of his room.

"Uh, yeah," I lied.

"Is there any coffee ready?"

"Not yet," I replied as he made his way into the kitchen. "Can you make me some?"

"Yeah, sure," he replied.

"What time is it?" I heard Niall ask as he came down the steps.

"Seven," I mumbled.

"When did you get here?" Michael asked him.

"I have no idea," he answered as he sat down on a stool. "Do you have any advil?"

"It's where it's always been," I answered him.

"Can you get me some?" He asked my brother.

Michael opened up the cabinet next to the fridge and grabbed the small bottle of pills and handed it to Niall.

"Thanks," he mumbled as he swallowed the pills without any kind of liquid.

"Hey, uh, Michael? Can you go to your room so I can talk to Niall?" I asked him when I entered the kitchen.

"I guess," he shrugged and left the room.

"Do you remember anything from last night? Like how you got here or what you said?" I asked Niall as soon as my brother was a safe enough distance.

"Not really, why? What happened?" He asked obviously very confused.

"I'll let you try and figure out what happened," I said to him.

"Why can't you tell me? Is it bad?"

"I'll let you figure that out on your own," I shrugged. "Just let me know if it's worth having a conversation about once you figure out. If you were telling the truth last night that is," I said and left to go upstairs and possibly fall asleep for the first time tonight.

"What the hell happened?" I heard Niall ask himself as I was halfway upstairs.

I sighed and made my way up to my room.

Only time will tell if he was actually admitting that he loved me.

***