11

Once Damon had reached a safe distance from the house and was sure Julian, not his mother were coming out for round two, he stopped on the street and gently placed Nancy back on her feet.

She wobbled slightly before she managed to stable herself and stood there holding her slowly healing stomach as she glared at the dark haired man.

"What?" He asked noticing her rather sour expression. "What the hell was that?" She snapped. "Me saving your life?" He asked and she gave an angry scoff.

"No! No Damon! It was YOU picking another fight!" She yelled. His face morphed into one of sudden rage as he realised what she meant. "You think that was me!?" He yelled.

"Yes Damon. Yes I do!" She screamed right black. Their faces were now inches apart as they stood glowering at one another. "You think I did that to get you or Stefan hurt?! I did that to stop my bro to er from dying.....you're the one who jumped in and got yourself staked!" He raged at her and she saw red in that moment.

She roughly raised her hands to his chest and shoved him backwards. "No Damon! You don't get to do that! You don't get to play hero and have me falling at your feet......I'm not Elena!" She screamed this time in his face as she glared into his eyes.

His dark blue became shot with a sudden scarlet as his vampire eyes suddenly burst through his naturally blue irises

His dark blue became shot with a sudden scarlet as his vampire eyes suddenly burst through his naturally blue irises. She flinched scared of him, but he didn't care.

He viciously leaned forward and grasped her arm while he moved his face close to hers. Threateningly close. "Don't you think I know that?" He spoke with such venom she was scared she wouldn't be able to breath if he got any closer.

She was right. She wasn't Elena.....and then it finally clicked.

Why was she bothering? Trying her hardest to keep him alive when she could die any minute and he wouldn't barely bat an eye.

"You know what? You're right.....you do know that......and so do I.......I'm not her.......so why am I still here?" He voice was now scarily calm.....but the fear came not from malice of her voice, but from the fear that she had finally given up.

This time he had pushed her too hard and too far......and she wasn't coming back. All of the pain, the loss and the regret of the past one hundred and fifty odd years had finally built up.

All the times she had been pushed to the side, made second best, used and then forgotten......all of these moments had faintly came to a head in her mind. She wasn't needed or wanted there......she was just another pair of hands.

The pair of hands that helped them defeat the tomb vampires, then Katherine, the originals, Silas, the travellers, Kai and who was now helping with the heretics......the pair of hands.....nothing more.

All that time she'd waisted caring for the brothers only to be put at second place every time....the time she could have spent searching for her father.....getting herself home.