16

Flashback- 1864

"Nancy come on keep up!" Damon heard his brother yell to their friends as he turned to see the girl in question smiling at his little brother bashfully from the middle of the corn field they were currently walking through.

Damon had been back for about a month from the army and since his return his and Nancy's friendship had been strained. They hardly talked as they used to, they no longer sat for hours reading poetry by the fire or under the old willow in his garden. They never scoured the library for good books for one another or walked frivolously through town on a whim.

They had changed. Grown older- and with it had gone their joyous childhood frivolity.

Stefan was too wrapped in his feelings for Katherine to notice his brother and best-friend growing apart- he was simply happy to have Damon home, even if the man had set his eyes on Katherine too.

Nancy gave Stefan a wave and leaned over to brace herself on her knees. "You try running through fields in a corset Stefan, then you can tell me to hurry up!" She called back with the grin that Damon had missed so dearly when he was away.

 "You try running through fields in a corset Stefan, then you can tell me to hurry up!" She called back with the grin that Damon had missed so dearly when he was away

"You Miss Lockwood are a minx." Stefan called back before he ran at the girl and scooped her up in his arms- throwing her over his teenage shoulder and wobbing over to Damon and Katherine who- until now- hadn't spoken a word.

"Put her down Stefan, she might become too attached." The Pierce woman gave an almost threatening warning. But the brothers and Nancy laughed it off.

"Nancy, are you alright?" Damon chipped in noticing the girl had gone quiet of her giggles. "Quite Damon, just trying to catch my breath from your brother's shoulder winding me." She replied as Stefan placed her gently down.

"I see." The older brother smirked as Stefan visibly stepped closer to Katherine. The Pierce grinned looping her arm with his victoriously, but scowling when Damon acted next.

He, like his brother, ran at Nancy and hoisted her up- this time bridal-style. She squealed in surprise and delight before he put her back down and began to chase her through the field.

"I'd run faster if I were you Miss Lockwood!"
"Whatever you say Mr Salvatore!" She replied snippily as she was chased and she giggled at his frustrated face of not being able to catch her.

Stefan looked on in admiration for the two; he enjoyed seeing them so happy. He truly believed they were lovers in that moment.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-